• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Male ENFP a rarity?

syorro

Although ENFPs are a pretty common type, it seems that I've only been able to meet one other ENFP male (That I know if of course) and way too many females haha.

What about you guys?

Cygnus

I always had my suspicions ENFP was rarer than INFP because the "stereotypical" INFP (the quiet, cutesy, artsy emo chick who writes and wears fancy clothing) is relatively even in distribution, while "extroverted" equivalents of this personality seemed more rare.

But since this opinion is completely anecdotal and hypothetical, you'd best disregard it.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i think my cousin is an ENFP (i also think he's a little legitimately insane tbh) and maybe this guy i had a brief fling with in high school, but he might be one of those ENFP seeming ISFP people.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know, I feel like I can't swing a dead cat without hitting a male ENFP.

Not that I've ever actually done such a thing.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I actually am not sure. I guess I've been hyper focused on meeting e4's. I do believe I have met two other male ENFP e4's, but I had to network a lot. They were strange and both managed to vanish off of the face of the earth.

Yeah...Nope.

MBTI Type
ERMM
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My husband is ENFP e6. Haven't met many male ENFPs... but then again, I don't really have many friends...:D

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I know quite a few of them, actually. I'm convinced every Christian youth pastor ever is required to be an ENFP. Male ESFPs seem less common to me, I don't think I know any of those.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I was under the impression that F was a bit less common for males in general. The same goes for T with women. Considering N is also less common in the general less population, NF males are going to be rather uncommon to begin with.

That's...well, it's certainly an expression I've never heard before.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am a male ENFP...maybe INFP...I am really moderate on extroversion. I am also really neurotic.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can think of only one I know. I think he's 6w5, which would be a particularly unusual combo, but it comes together when you see it in person. A very cantankerous personality that isn't for everybody, but I like him.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was under the impression that F was a bit less common for males in general. The same goes for T with women. Considering N is also less common in the general less population, NF males are going to be rather uncommon to begin with.

So, according the to the 1998 MBTI US Representative sample, ENFPs make up 6.4% of males (ISTJs at 16.4%, being most popular for males, followed by ESTJ at 11.2%), 9.7% of females (ISFJ at 19.4%, being most popular for females, followed by ESFJ at 17.9%). An yes, overall, T is more common for males than females: 56.5% for males, 24.5% for females. So males are mildly more Thinking than Feeling, but females are significantly more Feeling than Thinking.

Of course, that is just one sample (although it was a large one) conducted by phone.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
So, according the to the 1998 MBTI US Representative sample, ENFPs make up 6.4% of males (ISTJs at 16.4%, being most popular for males, followed by ESTJ at 11.2%), 9.7% of females (ISFJ at 19.4%, being most popular for females, followed by ESFJ at 17.9%). An yes, overall, T is more common for males than females: 56.5% for males, 24.5% for females. So males are mildly more Thinking than Feeling, but females are significantly more Feeling than Thinking.

Of course, that is just one sample (although it was a large one) conducted by phone.

Ah yes. This must be the singular study that everyone gets these percentages from. But I didn't know it was by phone! Blech. Did they collect demographic information as well? I'd guess that the types of women that would answer these were probably all elderly, motherly women. It would be nice to have a more updated survey, perhaps one that tries to gain the participation of a younger crowd. But then, that would be a significant amount of money "wasted" in a rather meaningless study.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ah yes. This must be the singular study that everyone gets these percentages from. But I didn't know it was by phone! Blech. Did they collect demographic information as well? I'd guess that the types of women that would answer these were probably all elderly, motherly women. It would be nice to have a more updated survey, perhaps one that tries to gain the participation of a younger crowd. But then, that would be a significant amount of money "wasted" in a rather meaningless study.

It was done by phone, and was rebalanced in various ways to correct for an over-representation of white females (for example) and an under-representation of black males (as another example). The sample was rebalanced to reflect census data for gender and ethnic makeup of the US population.

They both tried techniques of ignoring the excess in the over-sampled groups, and rebalancing the weights of the various groups. Both yielded about the same percentage representation.

I'd agree that doing anything by phone is likely to affect the weight of the distribution of participants (with, hypothetically in MBTI terms, Extraverts and Feelers tending to be more represented). I think it'd be tough to do better without doing door-to-door, census style canvasing (which would be hugely expensive, and even more time intensive than the actual census).

So, yes: what we have is imperfect and is affected by the means of data collection. I'd love to see better data, but that's not what we have, currently.

Still, even in Big Five terms:

wikipedia said:
A study of gender differences in 55 nations using the Big Five Inventory found that women tended to be somewhat higher than men in neuroticism, extraversion, agreeableness, and conscientiousness. The difference in neuroticism was the most prominent and consistent, with significant differences found in 49 of the 55 nations surveyed. Gender differences in personality traits are largest in prosperous, healthy, and more gender-egalitarian cultures. A plausible explanation for this is that acts by women in individualistic, egalitarian countries are more likely to be attributed to their personality, rather than being attributed to ascribed gender roles within collectivist, traditional countries.[74] Differences in the magnitude of sex differences between more or less developed world regions were due to differences between men, not women, in these respective regions. That is, men in highly developed world regions were less neurotic, extraverted, conscientious and agreeable compared to men in less developed world regions. Women, on the other hand tended not to differ in personality traits across regions.[75]

So that suggests by correlation to MBTI preferences (but, because that's a correlation of a correlation, doesn't prove much), that women tend to be more E, F, and J than men... and that, in turn, matches the data from the MBTI National Representative Sample. It's not definitive proof, by any means. Still, if you can point me at any better data, I'd be all ears.

Jet Stream

Permabanned
MBTI Type
istp
Enneagram
gvf
I know quite a few of them, actually. I'm convinced every Christian youth pastor ever is required to be an ENFP. Male ESFPs seem less common to me, I don't think I know any of those.

I went to a christian high school and from my experience, this is SO true.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Yeah, but you THOUGHT it, therefore you "could" do it :p

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Birds of a feather flock together and all that.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Although ENFPs are a pretty common type, it seems that I've only been able to meet one other ENFP male (That I know if of course) and way too many females haha.

What about you guys?

I wanna say that male feelers and female thinkers are minorities for any given type, but I won't because I don't have any scientific data or research to back that up, so I won't. Pretend I didn't say anything at all. :p

MBTI Type
ENFP
My friend group had an overwhelming amount of ENFPS in it. A lot of them were male ENFPs, four male ENFPs actually. I could connect with them so easily, i'm not really into acting like a girl or guy...I have no idea if that makes sense. I'm a girl and identifty as one...I like feminine things etc whatever...I just didn't like the whole gender role part very much. I just connected very easily to male ENFPs in a brother sort of way. I'm not trying to come off as the "cool girl" because a lot of people mistake me for an ISFP. (in real life of course...most definitely not online) And thats what happens to most guy ENFPs you might think they're actually a ISFP. But once you get to know them, they're not like an ISFP at all...:unicorn: ENFP guys are usually very funny, in a lame type of way. It's a certain type of humor. a lot to do with intuition. They're low key when you meet them, but once they bond with you I'd say they're pretty eccentric. I think a lot of them are severely embarrassed about their emotional side. Which sucks, because they really don't admit to it...they observe in on some petty trait and blame that. I'm very emotional, but that's my life, and it's actually pretty neato.

If you're wondering, why does she know so much on male ENFPS? or think I know so much about them: I did a big project in my HS using MBTI. And I had a tight friend group that was sorta large? I really fucking love them. A lot of them are ENFPs and ISFPS. Then I'd say INFPS and ENFJs...one INTJ and one INFJ. They got as interested as I did; they would help me with my project by researching their type. it was cute and stuff....they still like it.