• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Fictional NFs

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In the spirit of Fictional NTs, let's try to guess fictional NFs:

Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes - ENFP

Anakin Skywalker (pre-Darth Vader), Star Wars - ENFP (when he became Darth Vader, he activated his stressed side, resembling his opposite, an ISTJ)

Luke Skywalker, Star Wars - INFP

Yoda, Star Wars - INFJ

Obi-Wan Kenobi, Star Wars - INFJ

Lisa Simpson, The Simpsons - ENFJ

May Canady, May - INFP

Harry Potter, INFP

John Coffey, The Green Mile - INFP

Padme Amidala, Star Wars - ENFJ

Joel Barish, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - INFJ

River, Firefly - INFJ

macjoven

MBTI Type
INFP
Calvin is not extraverted. He had one friend who is imanginary. He is probably a INFP.

I think Lisa Simpson is more a INTJ.

Harry Potter and Luke Skywalker are not inuitive. They both have to have sublties spelled out for them constantly, and aviod theory whenever possible. They rather act then think. They are ISFPs.

Young Anikin is a ISFP too I think.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Um, no.

Calvin is way too noisy and outwardly directed to be Introverted. Extraverted has little to do with friends, but with how your energy is directed. Calvin is ENFP -- he is not reserved at all.

Lisa Simpson is an ENFJ. She is interested in humanitarian causes (Fe) and is extremely outgoing in pursuing them. The fact she doesn't have many friends is more due to her N function, which is usually the source of bullying due to society's bias toward S perception. Ways of thinking is key.

Anakin is an ENFP, there is no question -- Ne is very obvious in The Phantom Menace -- he's very quick to catch onto subtleties, and he's also inventive (he did create C-3P0 and that racing pod).

Luke Skywalker can't interpret subtleties? Did you an I watch the same movie? How do you explain his psychic visions in The Empire Strikes Back and how do you explain the Force and using the mind to manipulate things or how about being in touch with his spirit? That's clearly N at work. The only reason that Luke seemed more S in A New Hope was because of his family's lean toward it. Harry Potter, same deal.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Calvin is way too noisy and outwardly directed to be Introverted. Extraverted has little to do with friends, but with how your energy is directed. Calvin is ENFP -- he is not reserved at all.

That's possible, although you'd be amazed at how creative and off-the-wall an ESFP can be. One has to be careful with the S/N thing; S's can be imaginative in many ways and N's can be realistic.

Lisa Simpson is an ENFJ. She is interested in humanitarian causes (Fe) and is extremely outgoing in pursuing them. The fact she doesn't have many friends is more due to her N function, which is usually the source of bullying due to society's bias toward S perception. Ways of thinking is key.

Actually, though, watch her behavior. She's not an extrovert. She goes to her room when she's stressed and needs to recharge. She has a solid inner core from which she operates, her identity is NOT centered in the world around her, it's inside. Because of that, I would stick with INFJ .

Anakin is an ENFP, there is no question -- Ne is very obvious in The Phantom Menace -- he's very quick to catch onto subtleties, and he's also inventive (he did create C-3P0 and that racing pod).

Anakin is very poorly written and not well-acted, so this creates difficulty in having a consistent personality reading. Sometimes he shows Ne use because of abilities granted him by the script, but in terms of his actual speech and the acting and such? He acts and talks a lot more like an S.

Still, it's hard to tell because this could just be a deficiency in the script. I am not comfortable saying anything about Anakin as appearing in the movies, except for the fact he was a poorly realized, inconsistent character. In the entire last movie, he comes off as a rebellious ISTJ type or something similar (rebelling against authority because it's an authority), but I can't say that is what he is.

Luke Skywalker can't interpret subtleties? Did you an I watch the same movie? How do you explain his psychic visions in The Empire Strikes Back and how do you explain the Force and using the mind to manipulate things or how about being in touch with his spirit? That's clearly N at work.

Are you saying that all Jedi knights have to be N's? I don't think that's true at all. (It's like saying all theologians have to be N's and all scientists have to be S's.)

Regardless, I still do agree with you that, in terms of big picture, Luke acts like an N -- and specifically, an INFP. He is cast this way from the start -- the small rural boy who has idealistic dreams to leave his planet and find adventure and literally find HIMSELF (the typical NF quest). But it comes out most clearly in the decision he makes in Empire Strikes Back to go back for his friends (and how he words his choices) rather than stay with his training and in Return of the Jedi when he tries to turn his father from the Dark Side -- vintage INFP commentary distilled to its most basic. Everything to him is about relationships and his inner values -- NOT doing the most "logical" thing.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Garindan -- ISTJ

Edit: Seriously, now. Mon Mothma -- INFJ

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's possible, although you'd be amazed at how creative and off-the-wall an ESFP can be. One has to be careful with the S/N thing; S's can be imaginative in many ways and N's can be realistic.

Interesting, although I would expect kids to engage in creative play. I still don't think an ESFP would have daydreams as vivid or as fantasy-oriented as Calvin's.

I would suspect that an ESFP would more likely play Power Rangers, Pokemon, or whatever Japanese cartoon kids enjoy these days with other children. They'd probably pretend their playmate represents something else, but I don't think that the image in their minds are as strong.

Hence, I can actually easily see an Intuitive being more realistic by saying, "That's not a Pokemon (give me a break, I never watched the things that kids watch), that's a [whatever the real object is]."

I think Intuitive play would more likely revolve around games that don't involve manipulation of things in their environment, simply because they don't need them -- they have strong fantasy lives to keep them company. So regardless of E or I, I still think the Intuitive child will more likely play alone because they have strong imaginations (imaginary companions) to keep them company.

So I think it is an N child who will be perceived by parents as lacking desire to engage in imaginative play with other children.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting, although I would expect kids to engage in creative play. I still don't think an ESFP would have daydreams as vivid or as fantasy-oriented as Calvin's.

Well, the characters of Calvin and Hobbes were hijacked by Watterson to carry out his cartoon concept, rather than the other way around [Characters become hard to type, personality-wise, if they are in service to a concept/plot, rather than being totally autonomous] -- but I actually lean in your direction, Calvin's mind seems more N altogether than S. I just don't know how much is Calvin's as a person and how much is the cartoonist's N enacting itself through Calvin.

What I have noticed is, again, the complexity of the imagination, or at least how "boxed in" it is. The S types tend to imagine themselves as conventional or realistic things when they play; the N types break out of the mold. My ESFP son is creative, but he's more conventional in his creativity. For example, he loves drawing Pokemon characters, but it's not like he is doing something new with them, he is mostly just regurgitating what he sees. (I don't want to say predictable, but... there is just not that quick-spawning chain of imaginative leaps. Everything is straight-forward.)

An N is more inclined to start with one idea, leapfrog from that to another in an unanticipated direction, then keep changing gears. Each stone is connected to the next in some way, but how it is connected often changes for an N. So they can end up someplace very far from where they started... and yet there is still the chain that can be followed when you look at it.

Just go into Friday night chat on INTPc, and you can see this in real-live action. :) The conversation is bouncing around in a few directions at once, and it can sometimes be hard to keep up with each new twist. S conversation tends to be more linear and straight-forward.

I would suspect that an ESFP would more likely play Power Rangers, Pokemon, or whatever Japanese cartoon kids enjoy these days with other children. They'd probably pretend their playmate represents something else, but I don't think that the image in their minds are as strong.

Yes, that's sort of it.

Hence, I can actually easily see an Intuitive being more realistic by saying, "That's not a Pokemon (give me a break, I never watched the things that kids watch), that's a [whatever the real object is]."

I think good iNtuitives have a clear sense of what is "real" and what is "imaginary," even if the imaginary reverberates within them so strongly. Usually I see S's having a harder time living in both worlds at once; everything is made concrete somehow, so either they stick with the tangible and reject the imaginary, or they believe in something imaginary by believing it's real.

Anyhoo, I would lean towards Calvin being N, as you do... I just wanted to clarify the imagination sense in S's as well.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, characters in comics and television shows are very hard to type. But it's all a manner of which side is more obvious, overall, that's the way I see it.

An example of this could also be Bart Simpson. In a few episodes, he engages into his "childlike imagination" in a very Intuitive way, but I think he is clearly overall an ESTP.

Homer, as well, has shown some Intuitive leanings in a few episodes that involved him inventing. But overall, he is clearly an ESFP or maybe even an ISFP.

The problem is that with a show that has been on for as long as The Simpsons, the characters frequently change personalities in very abrupt ways.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, characters in comics and television shows are very hard to type. But it's all a manner of which side is more obvious, overall, that's the way I see it. An example of this could also be Bart Simpson. In a few episodes, he engages into his "childlike imagination" in a very Intuitive way, but I think he is clearly overall an ESTP.

That's possible. I agree with the ESxP. And seems a bit more calculating than the ESFP, who tends to flit more.

Homer, as well, has shown some Intuitive leanings in a few episodes that involved him inventing. But overall, he is clearly an ESFP or maybe even an ISFP.

I think ISFP, but it is hard to tell. He does have a sort of "extrovert" feel to him at times. Definitely Phlegmatic, if you use the "humors" theory

[humors = homers = coincidence or not? Mua ha ha! All right, just bad logic. :)]

The problem is that with a show that has been on for as long as The Simpsons, the characters frequently change personalities in very abrupt ways.

Exactly. Because the characters are being used as vehicles for the ideas and plots of the writers. I was going to mention this before when you were describing comic book characters, which regularly suffer from this -- partly because some have gone on for years and years, far past the "natural end of their story," and because the writers change frequently and steal the character for their own purposes.

I wanted to say that I think Spiderman/Peter Parker has been pretty solidly an INFP in the approach most writers have taken with him, in both the comics and the movies. The contrast shows up more clearly when he is around other heroes who are not NF types; the difference is apparent. (For example, Reed Richards and Tony Stark are both T types... Reed might be NT, Tony an ST, but Spiderman is clearly an NF when he interacts with them. The recent Marvel Civil War mini-event highlights this in a very noticeable way.)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz is an INFP, but in her dream, probably an ISFJ.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think good iNtuitives have a clear sense of what is "real" and what is "imaginary," even if the imaginary reverberates within them so strongly. Usually I see S's having a harder time living in both worlds at once; everything is made concrete somehow, so either they stick with the tangible and reject the imaginary, or they believe in something imaginary by believing it's real.

I think a teenage Sensor is also more likely to pay attention to and believe high school rumors, no matter how real or unreal it may seem, although it's probably an Extraverted Intuitive who starts the rumors.

Although I think an Introvert with an N preference would seem gullible until they've gotten a chance to think about it.

macjoven

MBTI Type
INFP
I still maintain Calvin is a introvert, though certainly not an extreme one:

1) The strips are held essentially in his inner world. It is essential to the comedy that his idea of what is going on and the rest of the worlds do not match up. Spaceman Spiff, the transmorgfier, turning into dinosaurs, Hobbes hiding under his desk to give him answers to test questions and doing his home work, all are apart of his inner world which no one else is privy too nor understands when they run into it.

2) Most all interactions with others are negative, interpreted through his inner world or both.

3) He is NEVER in a group, much less the center of attention of one, unless forced to be, such as in show and tell (where he basically puts on a act).

4) When he is noisey, he is usually alone, with hobbes in toruble or acting through one of his inner realites, repsonding to a inner-stimulus.

Thus I am certain the kid is a introvert.

Luke Skywalker. Not a intuitive.

1) He has to be shown things to believe them.
2) Obiwon has to explain "Point of view" to him, something INFPs are acutely consciouss of naturally, often to a fault.
3) The force, while he is strong in it, does not actually come easily to him. He has lots of trouble with the theory.
4) He has to learn to slow down and reflect on things. INFPs have to learn to act, and stop reflecting on things so much.

Harry Potter: Again not an iNtuitive.

1) He is practical and action oriented.
2) His feelings are centerd on praticular people first and formost. He doesn't think about saving the world, or even the school when he gets in adventures but to save praticular people from praticular threats at praticular times.
3) He NEVER thinks things more then a step or two through before acting and depend on any intutives around him, praticulary Hermione (a INTJ if there ever was one) to hold him back if things simply are not going to work.
4) He learns by doing.

Lisa: What Jennifer said.
Anikin: on reconsideration what Jennifer said too.

indigo2020

MBTI Type
INFJ

I think Intuitive play would more likely revolve around games that don't involve manipulation of things in their environment, simply because they don't need them -- they have strong fantasy lives to keep them company. So regardless of E or I, I still think the Intuitive child will more likely play alone because they have strong imaginations (imaginary companions) to keep them company.

So I think it is an N child who will be perceived by parents as lacking desire to engage in imaginative play with other children.
First, when children are aged 2 - 6 they display only 2 functions. There are only four types at this age. They are: IP, IJ, EP, and EJ.

When children are aged 7 through 12 they display three of their four functions. For the missing function, the child alternates (f/t or s/n). At this age there are 8 types.

They are:

IFP
ITP
INJ
ISJ
ESP
ENP
EFJ
ETJ

After the age of 13 all four functions are evident.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Indigo, I'm inclined to agree, but whom or what is that according to?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I still maintain Calvin is a introvert, though certainly not an extreme one:

1) The strips are held essentially in his inner world. It is essential to the comedy that his idea of what is going on and the rest of the worlds do not match up. Spaceman Spiff, the transmorgfier, turning into dinosaurs, Hobbes hiding under his desk to give him answers to test questions and doing his home work, all are apart of his inner world which no one else is privy too nor understands when they run into it.

2) Most all interactions with others are negative, interpreted through his inner world or both.

3) He is NEVER in a group, much less the center of attention of one, unless forced to be, such as in show and tell (where he basically puts on a act).

4) When he is noisey, he is usually alone, with hobbes in toruble or acting through one of his inner realites, repsonding to a inner-stimulus.

Thus I am certain the kid is a introvert.

Calvin's imaginary friends are his Intuitive function, not introverted.

The difference between Extraversion and Introversion is not about how many friends you have, it's about energy expenditure (E) or energy conservation (I).

I'm starting to believe that a desire for friendships with real people is specifically related to ESxP or ExFJ types, since it's seeking enjoyment in the real world without a strong idealization.

An Extraverted Intuitive might not have as much interest in making real friends because their strong imaginations are able keep them company.

Calvin is clearly focused on experiencing the external world via Extraversion, but an idealized external world conceived in his Intuitive mindset.

One thing I noticed about ENxPs is that while they do talk a lot and are very energetic, they often just enjoy listening to themselves talk about their own conceptions and are often unaware of the concrete rules of socializing.

In their interactions with other people or things, ENxPs idealize their surroundings and are unhappy with the current way of things, so while they're Extraverted, their Intuitive function doesn't seek to enjoy, but rather to conceive. In fact, Extraverted Intuition's tendency to idealize everything, including people, could actually isolate the Ne type.

An ENFP will also seek deep connections with others due to their auxiliary Fi function, but since they are Ne types, those deep connections could possibly be with imaginary playmates (in Calvin's case, Hobbes).

I don't think that Calvin is an INFP. A dominant Fi child would probably be much more loyal and much less energetic. An INFP may have imaginary playmates because of their auxiliary Ne, but interactions would probably be at a much quieter level, maybe not interacting with them through acting out, but through writing.

And now I had a new thought. I think an INFP might actually be better at friendships than the ENFP. Their Fi is developed first, and so will seek a deep connection with someone else at an early age, they have the desire to bond with someone first, but when Ne is developed, they might perhaps engage in creative storytelling together.

But the key is that Extraversion isn't about friendships per se, but about direction. One can be extremely gregarious and exuberant in the world, but not necessarily with the intention of making friends.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Does anyone think Millhouse in The Simpsons is an INFP?

I don't know, but he tends to be really fantasy-oriented and dreamy.

Though I typed him as an Enneagram 6w7.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Only saw Rachel Weisz in The Mummy movies and Constantine. She seemed INFJ in those.

Although they are usually lame anyway, why do all the Oscar movies also have the lamest titles?

Stan in South Park seems to be an ENFJ.

Usehername

On a mission
in Forces of Nature, Sandra Bullock's character was certainly ENFP.

So is Lauren Graham's Gilmore Girls character.

I am certain these two are also ENFXs themselves. (They have both attested to how similar they are to these characters they have portrayed.)