• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] typical into traits?

SwimmerGal97

Hi, I often type as a infp but when i check the descriptions I get the sense of infp's being these sensitive, magical unicorns. The sort of people that innuendos pass over and live to serve others. In basic functions, I am an into but in the descriptions, I'm not. I am quiet and fantasy loving (once I read a book I live in that world to the point where it has probably affected my real life....oops :/) but am also very sarcastic and incredibly dark humoured. I could be intp because I'm not completely sure how to type myself on the T/F function. Inside I am supersensitive, criticism does get me down and I am prone to episodes of the blues. On the outside however, I am cold and aloof (recently starting college I was told by a friend that there were loads of guys interested in me but they were all to scared of my demeanour to approach me, which I have to say made me feel like a pretty great and powerful woman!). I don't know what I want to do with my life career wise (or any wise for that matter) and m currently studying maths, Chen, bio and art. I like maths because the lessons are über laid back and we get cake every week but have quite possibly the worlds biggest maths impairment (I can't even use a calculator!). Chem and bio are...meh. I'm good at chemistry and have a good memory so I do well which makes me enjoy it a little more and bio ...nahh. As for art, I have a similar issue now as I did with English lit last year, in that I enjoy the subject and would do it in my spare time but I HATE being told what to do, when to do it and being made to make things personal when I'd rather keep all that crazy to myself. Despite this English and art are my two best subjects (I'm not braggin' (totally am because I'm damn proud of myself!) But I got an A in a closed text exam for which I hadn't finished reading the poems or book nor had I done contextual/ critical studies so I made the whole thing up!). Anyway, back to the point which may or may not have been lost by now, what I want out of life is to be allowed to complete my quest of self discovery (school needs to get off my back with university, university, university and I'm aware of how rriduculous that phrasing sounds but until I know who I am and what I really want in life, how can I know what Im meant to do?!), freedom and individuality (not to big on responsibility though...) And a feeling of acceptance and belonging somewhere. So despite my initial impressions of this type, do you think I am an infp? Or something else?
Than you :D

KitchenFly

Hi Chemgirl258, I think that at the freedom end of your MBTI nature you have a real experience of INFP and in your discomforting moments you to may have a real experience of INFP , I am saying this because I tend to agree with you that you maybe INTP.

I have a friend who is a INTP and he spends much of his emotion in nf and sp to some degree. I do not know if you have an interest in the instincts, it is supper interesting and can take some time to tune to but I mention this because my friend is a So/Sx at the instinctive level and a INTP and a five in the enneagram.

Those maybe interesting jigsaw puzzle peaces for you to look at, and I did read that you there keen to discover the answer to the who am I Question so I mentioned those possibilities.

Having said that we all have many energies that help to make up who we are so content in context a health mind can savour all the MBTI functions to some degree.

Cheers and let me know about your thoughts about the enneagram instincts model if you decide that you may like to have a look into it.

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I can't speak for all INFP's, and certainly ain't an authority when it comes to type authenticity. However, all of which you described in your wall-of-text is quite refreshing in the sense that I felt like i was looking into a pond and seeing someone else's reflection.

I can describe my temper as quite violatile when taking criticism as I feel that my personal space has been breached. And that's quite it, I'm all sorts of friendly and supportive until that one thing another says triggers as a personal attack, then it's either fight or flight. While other's may see this as passive-agressive behavior (typically those that love to over-simplify things they do not understand), I see it as a defense mechanism that has been wired since early childhood to help decipher between real friends and those who are not. Dealing with people changing faces is something I'm often used to dealing with my entire life.

I won't mention in detail what I've witnessed in my younger years, as I don't feel like parting with personal information to an impersonal audience.

The search for my type didn't stand strictly by myself, I had to go to the people that knew me best, and by giving them a few type profiles to play with. But the journey never ends there, it's only human to doubt. The solution to most identity issues is often believing in yourself and others.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I must disagree with both typings. The way OP realises her thoughts is very concrete, which suggests Se/Ni, not Ne/Si. I also can't help but feel that there is an element of trying to appear like an INFP 4 in her post.

I would venture ISFP as a type. I can't put my finger on Enneatype yet but I very much doubt 4 or 9 from this alone, and sp/so seems a more likely stacking than the inverse (listing; a focus on the self's needs). ISFP 6w7 or 7w6?

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I must disagree with both typings. The way OP realises her thoughts is very concrete, which suggests Se/Ni, not Ne/Si. I also can't help but feel that there is an element of trying to appear like an INFP 4 in her post.

I would venture ISFP as a type. I can't put my finger on Enneatype yet but I very much doubt 4 or 9 from this alone, and sp/so seems a more likely stacking than the inverse (listing; a focus on the self's needs). ISFP 6w7 or 7w6?

Prose is often made in relation to sensor functions. I would go as far as to debate that writing style may change many times within a person's lifetime, however, their type may not change during that process. It's too simple and easy to literally point out ,"you write like a sensor".

Writing style is a finished product of cognitive functions, not the other way around. A portion of writing style is affected by external exposure and influence; among other factors.

I don't see OP as "trying" to be anything, as I don't know her (presumeably female) on a personal level. I can't judge on things and particularly people in which I do not fully know or understand.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Prose is often made in relation to sensor functions. I would go as far as to debate that writing style may change many times within a person's lifetime, however, their type may not change during that process. It's too simple and easy to literally point out ,"you write like a sensor".

Over time, you can discover patterns in the way people of a type write online. I think there are distinctions between a Fi-Ne an Fi-Se writing style, some of which are not that difficult to perceive. In this case, a tendency to list and use concrete language.

Writing style is a finished product of cognitive functions, not the other way around. A portion of writing style is affected by external exposure and influence; among other factors.

Dude, do you even have reasons for INFP over ISFP, or are you just trying to argue with me? Remember what this thread is about....

We seem to have a fundamental difference in how we approach typing through self assessment. I don't look at what somebody says, but how and why they say it.

I don't see OP as "trying" to be anything, as I don't know her (presumeably female) on a personal level. I can't judge on things and particularly people in which I do not fully know or understand.

We can only work on what we have, and I'm growing tired of people coming on here with a stereotypical MBTI/Enneagram combination that they expect us to validate. I question one's openness if they self-type themselves then ask to be typed. Now, if you doubt me feel free to look through the Type Me section, and also consider this: if everybody here embraced and applied your view, we would not critique people's typings at all on the forum. Imagine how paralysing that would be.

INFPtheQuietOne

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Well we INFPs are naturally hypersensitive and the stereotypical quiet ones of all introverts.