• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ahem... DO YOU SPEAK LOUD?!?!

Ahem... DO YOU SPEAK LOUD?!?!

• Total voters

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am soft spoken.

á´…eparted

passages
When I am teaching/lecturing I am quite loud. I've had the door closed on me from the hallway multiple times over the years.

It really depends on where I am at. I am conscious to who I am around and what place I am in. Being loud can be inappropriate in some contexts, others being quiet can be inappropriate.

In unregulated environments though I am on the louder side. I would never consider myself soft spoke, but I can do it.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
lets put it this way: there's been times where I've been told to speak louder that at some point i just started shouting.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Medium?? I don't know - it depends on the situation. Sometimes when I'm out with friends I can be really loud without realizing it. And when I'm just hanging out it's at a normal volume. My main problem is listening to others honestly.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Not usually.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

i am a low talker. i can never hear wtf anyone else is saying either though :shrug:

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Always. I am very hard of hearing.

It's not "speak softly and carry a big stick" but rather "speak loudly and forget where you left your stick." :shock:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Oh jeeze. I had to train myself to talk quietly, and trust me I still don't have it down. My whole family is loud. We naturally raise our voices when having conversations, even pleasant ones, and while I'm probably more quiet than the rest of them (I won't talk over the TV I'd opt to turn it down) that really isn't saying much. We just have this unspoken agreement that loud noises don't bother any of us. TVs staying on doesn't bother. Music should be turned up. Etc. etc.

My poor boyfriend is constantly telling me to lower my voice, and I always feel a bit like a kicked puppy about it because I like talking loudly and passionately... and while sometimes it's inappropriate (at a super fancy dinner, at the library, in a movie, etc.) and I don't do it then, he gets all embarrassed just being at a casual burger-joint or pizza place or bar when I talk loudly. I respect him about it, but I just don't get the need to feel quiet at any place ever just because it's in public. And I cannot stand it when people speak so softly I cannot hear them.

á´…eparted

passages
And I cannot stand it when people speak so softly I cannot hear them.

Oh I definitely relate to this! Part of it is because my hearing isn't the best. It drive me nuts when it seems like they are just intimidated or afraid to speak at an average volume, and I can't help but just thing "my god, get over yourself" and actually have some self confidance and not be afraid of being heard/seen/noticed.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think most of the time I speak medium volume/regular voice, but god help me when I'ma round friends. I talk SO LOUD around them sometimes and I can't control it. Half the time I don't even realize I'm talking so loudly until it's pointed out to me. But I mean, most of the time? Medium. Definitely not a quiet talker. I don't mind quiet people though. I always felt bad in school when the teacher told the quiet kids to talk louder and all the other kids laughed at them. They looked so uncomfortable.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm soft spoken and low pitched. Not the most audible combination.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Oh I definitely relate to this! Part of it is because my hearing isn't the best. It drive me nuts when it seems like they are just intimidated or afraid to speak at an average volume, and I can't help but just thing "my god, get over yourself" and actually have some self confidance and not be afraid of being heard/seen/noticed.

Yeah I have to fight this thought process too.. I mean, soft spoken people are fine when it's quiet anyways, but what gets me is soft spoken people will be upset at loud people just as much. While I can see frustration in [MENTION=4883]Cimarron[/MENTION] for example who is really soft spoken, and I have issues hearing him sometimes if we're in a louder place, but I can tell he makes an effort to be heard when it's louder. :laugh:

I don't have bad hearing.. but mumbling, grumbling, low-tone voices are not something I'm accustomed to trying to hear, particularly in loud places. Try to speak up, or don't get upset that I can't hear you. Because while it may be a liiiittle annoying that my voice can drown out yours during a heated conversation, at least you can hear what I'm saying.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I used to be very soft spoken as a child but over the years I've taught myself to speak at a medium volume by default, as speaking quietly often fed the erroneous assumptions about my being "shy"(Much to my irritation. Shy is not the word I'd use to describe what I am, and if you sincerely think of me as being shy, we really need to get you a dictionary). I just really loathed the idea of being treated like some timid little mouse, almost as if I weren't competent in the ways of the world of my own. It was horribly embarrassing to me for whatever reason, and it still is on the instances when my quiet voice seeps out. I'll never be a human megaphone(I still get told to speak up during say, presentations, which is annoying), but then again, I have not the slightest desire to be one(talk-yelling is cringeworthy), so I suppose it's fine.

Honestly, I wouldn't really care if everyone thought I was shy so long as they didn't subsequently begin to treat me as if were labeled "fragile" as if those two factors were actually synonymous or even connected in true form.

Perhaps it's all in my head, who knows and more importantly, who cares, I mean that wouldn't exactly be novel. Either way not a talker=/=shy, I'd like to get that on a billboard.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A soft-spoken person seems like a weird thing to get upset about. A loud person, on the other hand, can definitely be annoying. They're often disruptive, inconsiderate, and cause others to lose their train of thought. Many of them don't realize that, though.

My whole family is loud, except for my eldest brother and me. I wouldn't describe either of us as soft-spoken, but we have similarly deep, somewhat uninflected voices.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Depends on the context, if I'm comfortable though I'm usually loud although I don't like admitting it, it's the truth.

But perhaps I'm worse on vent.

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
It does annoy me sometimes when people are so low volume esp in loud environments, I don't want to have to strain my ear to listen to what you're saying, I hate asking people to repeat themselves as well so sometimes I'll just be nodding along to whatever a soft spoken person is saying even when I can't hear them. I don't have the best ears either.

Personally though I think I switch tones, there are times when some people don't hear me and other times when people are telling me that I'm speaking too loudly. I think it's to do with how comfortable I am at the time but I'd say I have medium/average volume.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Medium to loud.

I come from a family of intense, emotional, argumentative women. You have to speak up. :D