• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How INFP of you! Or, an ENFP trend?

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
So, I am an ENFP, I think. But every so often, I get in these situations where I feel like I must be completely wrong because I feel so introverted in comparison to the people I am around.

Example:

This weekend I went with my ISTJ roommate and his friends and coworkers to a Phillies game. We started tailgating at 3 PM and didn't end up leaving the park until about midnight. Ordinarily, I think this is something I would enjoy, but I think perhaps the combination of being hungover from the night before, not knowing anyone very well and having nothing to really "do" for hours and hours before the game exhausted me. BUT! This surprised me about myself -- Self-proclaimed Extrovert!

Thing is, I had nothing to contribute to the conversation! I have never been surrounded by so many ESTJs, ESFPs, ESFJs and ESTPs in my life!! Absolutely NO Ns! And ALL extroverted!

So, I was like thinking to myself that all I would need is just ONE connection to make the whole day change for me. I felt like such a loser cause I just sat in the lawn chair by myself, watching the guys toss around a football, but seriously, I was so bored of talking about concrete stuff for so long and answering questions about what I do (versus who I am). Misery! And, it wore me out! Yet, if I was talking about what interested me, I think I could have done it all night long!

The whole event was such a puzzlement to me in regards to my actual identity. I feel like a total extrovert when I'm around people I know or even people I don't know who are either Ns or who I have a connection with (or take a special interest in me). But in situations like this, I am like a complete introvert!

Soooo the question is, other ENFPs, are you like this also? Is this an ENFP thing -- we become "introverted" in situations where we are outnumbered by ESs? Or, do you figure out a way to join in and get over the need for N-like conversation? Or, do you think I'm actually an INFP? aaahhhahaa. Personality crisis!!!

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Are you more oriented to your inner world of perceptions, thoughts, feelings or are you more oriented to the world around you and drawing connections to what is there?

cn1234567890

MBTI Type
ENFP
I know what you mean! I spent the past few days with an ESFJ? or ENFJ? friend and I became more introverted around them. I read somewhere that ENFPs have the easiest time taking on other types personalities? I also wonder if I'm an INFP because of my introverted side and it drives me crazy.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just because you are extroverted it does not mean that you take interest in EVERYTHING in the outside world. I tend to find this is especially true of ENs. If the world is not providing the type of stimulus that you take a natural interest in, it seems only natural to withdraw a bit.

ENFP!:woot:

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I think ENFPs are very good at being extroverted. And they enjoy it.
So when they don't enjoy conversation or don't be extroverted "enough" it is sort of a system shock.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
So, I am an ENFP, I think. But every so often, I get in these situations where I feel like I must be completely wrong because I feel so introverted in comparison to the people I am around.

Example:

This weekend I went with my ISTJ roommate and his friends and coworkers to a Phillies game. We started tailgating at 3 PM and didn't end up leaving the park until about midnight. Ordinarily, I think this is something I would enjoy, but I think perhaps the combination of being hungover from the night before, not knowing anyone very well and having nothing to really "do" for hours and hours before the game exhausted me. BUT! This surprised me about myself -- Self-proclaimed Extrovert!

Thing is, I had nothing to contribute to the conversation! I have never been surrounded by so many ESTJs, ESFPs, ESFJs and ESTPs in my life!! Absolutely NO Ns! And ALL extroverted!

So, I was like thinking to myself that all I would need is just ONE connection to make the whole day change for me. I felt like such a loser cause I just sat in the lawn chair by myself, watching the guys toss around a football, but seriously, I was so bored of talking about concrete stuff for so long and answering questions about what I do (versus who I am). Misery! And, it wore me out! Yet, if I was talking about what interested me, I think I could have done it all night long!

The whole event was such a puzzlement to me in regards to my actual identity. I feel like a total extrovert when I'm around people I know or even people I don't know who are either Ns or who I have a connection with (or take a special interest in me). But in situations like this, I am like a complete introvert!

Soooo the question is, other ENFPs, are you like this also? Is this an ENFP thing -- we become "introverted" in situations where we are outnumbered by ESs? Or, do you figure out a way to join in and get over the need for N-like conversation? Or, do you think I'm actually an INFP? aaahhhahaa. Personality crisis!!!
Hmm, very interesting scenario, personally, I have learned to avoid such situations when I know I am not going to be in the right mood, because hanging out with a bunch of Ss (sp?) certainly can be draining.

I am lucky, (or unlucky), in that I have been surrounded by a lot of Ss in my life so I have learned to pry some good, er, decent N conversations out of them. In my world, the incessant concrete questions of what do you do, what do you study, where do you live, etc. I actively make fun of, or answer with a bit of commentary.

When someone vainly asks me how I am doing, I respond by telling them, that they should be careful about what they ask should they truly receive an honest response.

Hmm, I also am at a point in my life that I good give two shits about stupid social niceties.

If we are going to hang out, you bet your ass we are going to connect!!!

But, yes, I much rather *be* alone than *feel* alone, so I do end up spending a lot of time by myself.

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
I find what drains me is overly loud and crowded oversensory places. I could never go to a football game where I would have to shout over the people to hear myself. I could never go to a club with flashing lights and bass boost all the way with smoke everywhere and slutiness/uber intoxication. No thanks. Enviornments help bring out the bad or good in me, and the people also.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I find what drains me is overly loud and crowded oversensory places. I could never go to a football game where I would have to shout over the people to hear myself. I could never go to a club with flashing lights and bass boost all the way with smoke everywhere and slutiness/uber intoxication. No thanks. Enviornments help bring out the bad or good in me, and the people also.
And slutiness?!?!?!?

Yeah, all those scantily clad dancing wimmens, such harlot slutz!!!!

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
LMFAO, the only reason that was put their was to see if CC would catch it, damn that hotties Ne is on fire.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So what's the verdict on this? Is it an "E" thing or an "S" thing?

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
But, yes, I much rather *be* alone than *feel* alone, so I do end up spending a lot of time by myself.

Whilst they batted (with an imaginary bat) and bantered (drunkenly - totally lacking adroitness and cleverness in reply), I chatted with British coworkers about eyewear... for like 80 bazillion houuuurssss.... to wear glasses or contacts... oh me, oh my, what a perplexing dilemma...

Should have stayed home instead... rarrr.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ENXXs kind of throw a wrench into the whole extrovert theory, especially ENXPs.

ENTPs and ENFPs lead with Ne which can be just as interested in ideas/abstracts as well as people. So if the people you are with refuse to stimulate the Ne's desire for cool abstract/funny/strange patterns/ideas/stories etc, then you will naturally shut down your lead function.

Alot of ENFPs and ENTPs come off as introverts simply because they arent wildly sharing their leading function with the world...possibly because of living with S's their whole life who have taught them to shut up hahaha.

sketcheasy

MBTI Type
ENFP
it's totally natural man.

i withdraw all the time. i also don't get along with S types normally, except for a certain few. i dunno, embrace it. you learn to balance yourself out that way.

i noticed when i try to make an effort to balance out my personality traits i come off less as an enfp, and appearing more introverted is one of those.

but yeah, i actually like being alone. it's when loneliness kicks in that i start losing it and i begin desiring some sort of interaction.

IEE623

MBTI Type
NeXx

Example:

Don't worry! You're not alone =D I get introverted in conversations about stuff that I don't think is worth talking about too. I know I'm not an INFP because I'm just so sure about my Extraverted iNtuition ;)

NoMoreFun

MBTI Type
ENFP
ENXXs kind of throw a wrench into the whole extrovert theory, especially ENXPs.

ENTPs and ENFPs lead with Ne which can be just as interested in ideas/abstracts as well as people. So if the people you are with refuse to stimulate the Ne's desire for cool abstract/funny/strange patterns/ideas/stories etc, then you will naturally shut down your lead function.

Alot of ENFPs and ENTPs come off as introverts simply because they arent wildly sharing their leading function with the world...possibly because of living with S's their whole life who have taught them to shut up hahaha.

That's a really good answer to the OP.

From my own experience and from what I read/hear from other ENFPs it's quite common for us to feel alienated in social situations which is dominated by a lot of mindless S. Especially if one is not really in the mood for too much action/sensing.

I kept wondering about the exact same thing until I read somewhere that ENFPs are nicknamed "the shy extroverts".

Fuent

MBTI Type
ENTP

Example:

Exclamation marks everywhere and laughing "aaahhhahaa." You're so ENFP.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
Thanks for all the helpful responses!!

I feel like I can FULLY embrace being ENFP now.

YAY!

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Whilst they batted (with an imaginary bat) and bantered (drunkenly - totally lacking adroitness and cleverness in reply), I chatted with British coworkers about eyewear... for like 80 bazillion houuuurssss.... to wear glasses or contacts... oh me, oh my, what a perplexing dilemma...

Should have stayed home instead... rarrr.

Oh my goodness. I'd rather stab myself in the eyeball (hypothetically) then listen to such idle chatter (and I've heard a lot of it which results in zoning out most the time).

Just thought I'd add cause I couldn't not comment on such an atrocity happening to a fellow N, here's a hug for your troubles :hug:.

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I've always thought I was INFP, but I'm now starting to think I am ENFP. I pretty much fit the description of both, and depending on the situation and who I'm around I will float between ENFP and INFP.

When I was a teen we used to take the Personality Plus test in church a lot. I always came out as a Sanguine Melancholy. Basically an extroverted introvert. The leaders always told me that that couldn't be accurate and I was really a Melancholy Choleric.