• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Why do INFJs take ages to reply or not reply at all?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is a difference between "No, I refuse to respond to your email." which is outright rejection and that technically, if you never said no, you have never actually rejected them. Traps one's self in a social/interpersonal limbo, but they can do what they want.
I have no patience for this sort of thing. If I send someone an email, it is for good reason and I expect a prompt answer, even if that is something perfunctory like, "busy now - will get back to you", or "I need to check on that". Then I will expect you to follow up accordingly.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have no patience for this sort of thing. If I send someone an email, it is for good reason and I expect a prompt answer, even if that is something perfunctory like, "busy now - will get back to you", or "I need to check on that". Then I will expect you to follow up accordingly.

I've found -FPs to generally be the most horrible offenders of this, and the most irritating part is that it somehow seems so astronomically difficult to drill into their head that a reply, even if "I don't know" "I'll get back to you later" or "No" is needed. I sometimes have to ask for them. -FJs still follow instructions better once clarified.

Exactly.

I don’t contact someone just to exercise my fingers. Outside of a forum setting I don’t spend time idly chatting.

I will make time to reply if friends message me. I wish I could say the courtesy was always (or even often) reciprocated. I understand people are busy, but if I haven’t received a response in an hour, I’m going to be irritated.

- - - Updated - - -

I've found -FPs to generally be the most horrible offenders of this, and the most irritating part is that it somehow seems so astronomically difficult to drill into their head that a reply, even if "I don't know" "I'll get back to you later" or "No" is needed. I sometimes have to ask for them. -FJs still follow instructions better once clarified.
Ahem.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

[coughs back]
It didn't take me forever to finalize my type for nothing. Though I guess what I typed up was an unfair generalization too. I retract what I said, though I did have the most difficulty with people who type as / who I type as -FP.

EDIT: MBTI, however, has helped me be able to 'speak' in the language of other types more so that we can actually achieve understanding... It's really weird.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have never inquired into the type of the worst offenders. I can say quite a few of them are at work, meaning I have emailed them in the course of doing my job, about something that involves their doing their job. Just today, I had to get my boss to go after one of them who was just refusing to reply or take any action. Come to think of it, I wouldn't put it past her to be an I_FP.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have never inquired into the type of the worst offenders. I can say quite a few of them are at work, meaning I have emailed them in the course of doing my job, about something that involves their doing their job. Just today, I had to get my boss to go after one of them who was just refusing to reply or take any action. Come to think of it, I wouldn't put it past her to be an I_FP.

Coughs. There would be some correlation and commonalities. I wouldn't say they are all surefire that way though, I can only speak from experience.

I wouldn't put it past her to be an I_FP.
CUeVgBh.jpg

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
INFJs what does it mean when:
- you take long to reply to a text
- not reply at all
- make a verbal promise that you will definitely text someone to make plans with them and not follow through

I've had a few INFJs do this. It honestly makes me wonder if my friendship is something they couldn't care less about. That would definitely be the case if I were to do this shananigan.

For what this is worth from a post from 2014 from an OP who posted only once.

-I do not take long to reply to a text at all.
-I always reply.
-I keep all my promises.

I'm almost 40. I'm 200% certain I'm an INFJ. The problem is a lot of people think that every weirdo or atypical person they meet in real life must be an INFJ and have nothing but false assumptions on INFJs in general. If one word could define an INFJ it would be integrity.

If INFJs read people so well, why can't they understand that NOT responding to an email is like a rejection? Peoples feelings get hurt.

I almost obsessively respond to every email unless it's an autogenerated mail or sent from some Prince in Nigeria. For the reason of following things through (J) and respecting others' perspective/feelings (NiFe).
I have no idea which INFJs people are talking about in this thread.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Isn't this thread an illogical leap....

Hasty generalization fallacy based on a very small, personal sample size.

Let's consider that many people take forever responding to texts and email and it isn't nicely plopped into the INFJ category.

Actually the broader generalization based on the theory is that J's are a bit more pro-active, organized, and on the ball, so somewhere in Perceiver land external things are less likely to get done?

jbkays

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
As an INFJ I would never ignore an email/text unless I wanted to send a message to that person. I have an IPhone and I keep my read receipts on so that people know when they have been ignored. I've only completely ignored someone twice but they both know why. I am reading on this forum that I may be unique for this. INFJ's are introverts (obviously) so this behavior is very normal for introverts. If you know you have a good relationship with the person, I would try not to stress it out too much :)