• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Why do INFJs take ages to reply or not reply at all?

Quay

Peaced
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I won't respond until I know I can be completely honest. Sometimes it takes a while to talk, especially if there is some apprehension involved. Now I think about it, this is selfish behavior, and I actually have been consciously working on blurting out shit these past couple of years.

Didn't read the rest of the thread, but that's how it is for me.

Last edited:

velveteen

Senior citizen
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If it requires decision making that I don't have the answers for right away, I tend to put off replying and then forget about it sometimes. I also postpone replying if the response matters a lot to me and I want to do a thorough job of replying but don't have time to properly do it right then. Then my response gets old and I feel guilty and it gets delayed further. Texts are usually something that I check when I'm busy and so sometimes don't think of replying again until later when I see the text later. In any case, it's rarely about me not caring about the other person and has more to do with my own indecision or distraction.

This!

Kevin A.S.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think you just angry because someone you chat is not answer you, and it's coincidence that the person you are talking to is infj :D.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFJs what does it mean when:
- you take long to reply to a text
- not reply at all
- make a verbal promise that you will definitely text someone to make plans with them and not follow through

I've had a few INFJs do this. It honestly makes me wonder if my friendship is something they couldn't care less about. That would definitely be the case if I were to do this shananigan.

I think they do this with emails as well. It has bothered me before.

It basically means you are not a priority for them because if you were, they would respond more quickly. You're just not "in" with that particular INFJ. I believe it takes a while for that to happen. Because they are so nice and affirming, people tend to think they mean more to the INFJ than they actually do.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am guilty of this sometimes and there tends to be a few reasons.

1. When my schedule is overwhelming I tend to compartmentalize tasks. I'll leave emails highlighted/unread for a long time until I can get to that particular task like sending music books. I'll also categorize all the personal emails to fell swoop those also. I'm actually not good at multitasking and when I do it tends to feel like dancing in a kaleidoscope with ADD.

2. INFJs are weakest in Si which is a function that helps to remember many external details. I live in constant fear of forgetting details and sometimes it happens regardless of importance. I can remember 10 things and no matter how important that 11th thing is, it gets dropped from my mind. It causes me to have a continual level of anxiety. The types of details I remember are abstract and subjective.

3. If I'm not really sure what to say to the person because I don't know them well, then I can delay responding until I feel like I can focus and say the right thing. Fear of saying the wrong thing can cause me to take a long time to respond and can occasionally result in me forgetting to respond.

4. In a few cases when the person is really important to me, I will delay responding for a similar reason to #3. I want to be sure to not make a mistake in communication, so if I'm really tired or distracted I don't want to just pop out a communication. I can end up thinking about the person often, but I don't want to bother them with my own stresses and distraction, so I wait until I feel my best to communicate and sometimes that takes a long time.

I've had INFJs and INFPs do this in relationships and sometimes I feel disappointed on the receiving end, but I don't judge it because I do understand. The worst it does is change my mind about being able to rely on them if I'm going through something difficult and need someone to talk to readily.

To summarize, I'm guilty of this when I'm overwhelmed, distracted, and genuinely forget. I also do it when I'm over thinking, over concerned about saying the wrong thing and so waiting until I feel focused enough.

If it requires decision making that I don't have the answers for right away, I tend to put off replying and then forget about it sometimes. I also postpone replying if the response matters a lot to me and I want to do a thorough job of replying but don't have time to properly do it right then. Then my response gets old and I feel guilty and it gets delayed further. Texts are usually something that I check when I'm busy and so sometimes don't think of replying again until later when I see the text later. In any case, it's rarely about me not caring about the other person and has more to do with my own indecision or distraction.
hahaha I just said the exact same thing.

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFJs what does it mean when:
- you take long to reply to a text
- not reply at all
- make a verbal promise that you will definitely text someone to make plans with them and not follow through

I've had a few INFJs do this. It honestly makes me wonder if my friendship is something they couldn't care less about. That would definitely be the case if I were to do this shananigan.

As a matter of fact, I know the person is an INFJ if they don't respond at all.

Alomoes

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Reason one. They've moved onto something else. Don't take it personal. Second reason. You win whatever argument you made. Third reason. You scared them away. Also. 99/100 INFPs think they use Ni, and it is some magical unconsciousness. They're right. We do it consciously. :p

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Reason one. They've moved onto something else. Don't take it personal.

Oh. Then I never want to hear another butthurt comment from an INFJ about how mean an INTJ was to them when the INFJ blew them off, yet expected everything to be peachy. It's not personal, we're just being honest.

big sexy

MBTI Type
INfP
Not INFJ obviously but I do this very often. It's not purposeful, I see a text/email/whatever and think I'll get to it soon then just keep putting it off til eventually I forget entirely. It only takes a few minutes at most to respond to messages, but I'm just that bad a procrastinator. It doesn't help social stuff is not exactly my top priority and it can be difficult for me to figure out what I want to say to the person. OTL Definitely need to get better about it.

Vilku

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
hah, laughing for this thread.

ut yes.. ah, i think its about that, 100% or 0% thinking. anything inbetween is unquestionable.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is very interesting, because I get a lot of flack for this, too.

It doesn't mean I don't care about you. Usually what happens is that I read a text, and then immediately close it so that I can think of a response and reply later. I often end up forgetting about the text. This is a terrible habit that I can't seem to stop doing.

I also find that I am generally unmotivated to reach out to people just to check in on them. If I text someone, I am aware that I may end up starting a long and pointless text conversation with them, and that kind of commitment being held over my head is kind of uncomfortable for me.

Generally, a sign of me caring about you *a lot* is how often I respond to your texts. If I typically respond within the hour, that means something. But even if I care about you *a lot*, I won't respond to one-word messages or messages that don't warrant a response.

That said, my default response to those texts are:
"Good question, let me think about it."

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am very guilty of that. I have always hated texting and the phone since a young age. Definitely not my favorite thing in the world and there have been many times I wish I never got a phone in the first place. Many people are addicted to it and while it helps me to keep in touch with people, in some ways it's caused drama. I also like to spend my time being productive or getting creative projects done and sometimes, I put off calling and texting for a while. When texting or calling, it takes away time from that.

I know it's kind of jerky but it's my nature. I require my me time to keep sane and not mentally implode. I need a lot of alone time and sometimes with calls and texts, it's almost like people are creepily invading my little world when I need space and my instinct is to curl up into a little ball and retreat when I'm in my safe space and they keep on doing it repeatedly. Guilttripping me about it is only going to make me resentful. :/ I guess I've delt with a lot of people who send a million texts in a row and that somehow feels threatening to me when people overstep boundaries.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I used to go out with an INFJ who read most of her text messages in the notification bar. Appearing online was a nightmare for her. She was funny alright, but she was too much attached to inspirational conversations and frowned upon simplicity when it really mattered. Her relationships with her friends and family seemed like a "I'm ghosting you now. I'm coming back to tell you that I like you and was thinking about you later." circle.

She did prefer phone calls and one on one though.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
I am very guilty of that. I have always hated texting and the phone since a young age. Definitely not my favorite thing in the world and there have been many times I wish I never got a phone in the first place. Many people are addicted to it and while it helps me to keep in touch with people, in some ways it's caused drama. I also like to spend my time being productive or getting creative projects done and sometimes, I put off calling and texting for a while. When texting or calling, it takes away time from that.

I know it's kind of jerky but it's my nature. I require my me time to keep sane and not mentally implode. I need a lot of alone time and sometimes with calls and texts, it's almost like people are creepily invading my little world when I need space and my instinct is to curl up into a little ball and retreat when I'm in my safe space and they keep on doing it repeatedly. Guilttripping me about it is only going to make me resentful. :/ I guess I've delt with a lot of people who send a million texts in a row and that somehow feels threatening to me when people overstep boundaries.

I think Ghosting ( doorslam is some way ) is a very Ti-fe or Fe -TI ( Maybe Ni can imagine alot of ilogical scenarios ) thing ( maybe entp but i don't know alot of them ) , I'm pretty sure that intj,entj,infp,istp,ect. aren't like that at all ( at least in that extreme).

Actually i'm thinking how infj try to understand others if they can't understand themself.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
The function stack that INFJs have make it very hard for them to see themselves in a removed or objective way, but unless it is very personal or something they care about a lot, are pretty good at observing patterns in an almost scientific sense, and they enjoy studying and understand people. For this reason, they are often thought to be kind of hypocritical at times, especially under stress, even though I don't think it is consciously done. In general, for handling any kind of conflict, they tend to require enough time to feel removed from the situation that they feel they can be more objective. Often by then, it is too late to deal with, or it was a little enough thing that they don't really notice how frustrated they are until they see a long term pattern and are too frustrated to continue on, instead of dealing with things in the moment and putting sufficient importance on their feelings so that they don't become controlled by unconscious feelings that they have ignored or tried to talk themselves out of in an effort to be reasonable and objective. For me, I've found it incredibly helpful to try to express more, even if I'm not sure if it is valid, and also to be more up front about my preferences and needs so that I don't become resentful of over accommodating without any reciprocation. I think also because they find it hard to sort through all of those feelings and figure out what to do about them, they can become overly preoccupied with preventing problems or sucking up inconvenience themselves rather than encountering negative emotional surprises that they weren't prepared for. Sometimes that is to the detriment of developing skills to deal with other people in a more honest and direct way, accommodating to the point of it becoming inconvenient or controlling feeling to others, learning to think on their feet, or even being able to know themselves how they feel. As I've gotten better at knowing what my own needs are and not being unreasonably accommodating, it has allowed me not to weigh what I've done vs what others have in my own head, and also to not have lag time figuring out what I feel or how to act when I see someone next. I would imagine that is also much easier for others if they can count on me expressing if there is a problem, rather than hoping they will observe some kind of unwritten rules of reciprocation. I'm not perfect at it, but honestly, it took a long time to even figure out how to go at making some changes that would benefit me and those around me, even though I'm generally pretty good at reading people and understanding the dynamics between them.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think Ghosting ( doorslam is some way ) is a very Ti-fe or Fe -TI ( Maybe Ni can imagine alot of ilogical scenarios ) thing ( maybe entp but i don't know alot of them ) , I'm pretty sure that intj,entj,infp,istp,ect. aren't like that at all ( at least in that extreme).

Actually i'm thinking how infj try to understand others if they can't understand themself.

Yeah, a lot of people seem to associate ghosting with INFJs and thinking about how I am how others are, it's not wrong. Probably INTP too. I had a direct experience with that with an ENTP so it can apply to them too depending on the individual. Fi-Te or Te-Fi would probably be more direct and repress less than fe-ti ti-fe, pushing all of that anxiety under a rug until there was an explosion or an implosion.

TasniaLucia

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4X3
If INFJs read people so well, why can't they understand that NOT responding to an email is like a rejection? Peoples feelings get hurt.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If INFJs read people so well, why can't they understand that NOT responding to an email is like a rejection? Peoples feelings get hurt.

There is a difference between "No, I refuse to respond to your email." which is outright rejection and that technically, if you never said no, you have never actually rejected them. Traps one's self in a social/interpersonal limbo, but they can do what they want.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm an INFP and I "ghost" my own children and mother :whistling:
I almost DESPISE texting and "chatting" (IM). No, let me think of my replies and get back to you when I get back to you.

I dearly love my kids and my mom but good golly they can drone on about "nothing" for HOURS.
And, no, I don't have anything intelligent to add to a conversation. I'd rather not participate than twiddle my thumbs between silences; feeling stupid because I have nothing of value to add.

I call my mom a few times a year. I do feel sad that we've never been close. She was best friends with her mom and I can see that my absences pain her. I.Just.Can't. Though, I'm trying to do better.

If someone shoots me a text, I see the preview right away (unless my device is glitching). If I see it's serious, I'm RIGHT there for no matter how long they need.
Most of the time, though, it's just to rant or boast or kill time.

I withdrawal from people IRL too, but it's because they need what I can't give- which is simply time and attention. People seem to need to bond over little things, shared activities and so on. When a month or so goes by and it's just been excuse after excuse, from me, I know I need to just STOP because it confuses them too much and causes too much pain. I can't feel what they need me to feel or do what they want/need. Empty promises and hope are just cruel after a while.