• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ENxP and Lateral Thinking.

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
Do we really do this more than others, or is just our primary function Ne?

Who else does this?

Usehername

On a mission
sorry, but whats lateral thinking?

I think it's how, instead of following a linear association (a full dirty laundry hamper triggers thoughts of washing clothing triggers thoughts of your plans for the evening to see if you can fit it in) it goes sideways (a full dirty laundry hamper triggers thoughts of washing clothing triggers throwing some detergent into the hamper and channeling your X-Men Storm superpowers to tumble it around until it comes clean).

Basically, your thinking takes a sharp turn instead of the way it should go in a logical manner (xNxP vs xNxJ). Why xNxPs are better at environmental intuition and focusing on possibilities, while xNxJs are better at fixating on a way to bring about their inner vision (the inner vision being intricate and non-linear in a multi-path way all attempting to get to an end).

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
oh u mean like deductive reasoning vs. inductive reasoning?

im definitely an inductive reasoning kind of guy.

btw, thanks for the excellent explanation usehername~

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
Lateral thinking is like coming to a crosswalk to look both ways.

It's cool but I don't have it :(.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Lateral thinking is like coming to a crosswalk to look both ways.

It's cool but I don't have it :(.
Ahh, poor baby.

One who uses/utilizes lateral thinking, usually has a remarkable breadth of knowledge as opposed to having a detailed depth of knowledge regarding one thing.

I love my lateral thinking, it makes me see/understand the way everything is like/similar to everything else.

I don't know where I first came across this, but, "seeing everything in every thing" basically sums up what lateral thinking is, for me at least.

Lateral thinking also allows me to understand new information/stimulus/environments quite easily and readily.

:)

Oh, and this new emoticon: :cheese: sucks balls.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
Lateral thinking is what lead to stupid emoticons.

The problem with linear thinking is that you're just gonna die anyway.

At least the laterals are already half dead.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Lateral thinking is what lead to stupid emoticons.

The problem with linear thinking is that you're just gonna die anyway.

At least the laterals are already half dead.
I don't know if I should take this literally or laterally, either way, you make no sense, which I hear is a side affect of having Ni, sorry kid.

:)

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
Fine, I'll explain.

Linear thinking has a goal in mind, and all goals are made worthless by the inevitability of an ending. Despite whatever goals I will set for myself, the goal of my self has been set already and it's death. Lateral thinkers are without goals and therefore are gifted with a capability to more fully appreciate single moments, however their lack of drive is something I find hard to covet and to me seems like a state of semi death since it is so void of what drives me to keep living.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Fine, I'll explain.

Linear thinking has a goal in mind, and all goals are made worthless by the inevitability of an ending. Despite whatever goals I will set for myself, the goal of my self has been set already and it's death..
Pssht!!!

It is the inevitability of death that makes life so fucking precious!!!!

You have one life to live, therefore you should make it worthwhile.

Basically, what you are saying is, since we are all going to die anyway, what's the point, when that *is* exactly the point.

Once you embrace the inevitability of your death, only then shall you begin to truly live!!!

Death makes me appreciate and value life, both my own as well as others.

Life is finite, death is infinite.

Harmony

MBTI Type
INFP
Fine, I'll explain.

Linear thinking has a goal in mind, and all goals are made worthless by the inevitability of an ending. Despite whatever goals I will set for myself, the goal of my self has been set already and it's death. Lateral thinkers are without goals and therefore are gifted with a capability to more fully appreciate single moments, however their lack of drive is something I find hard to covet and to me seems like a state of semi death since it is so void of what drives me to keep living.
It is the inevitability of death that makes life so fucking precious!!!!

You have one life to live, therefore you should make it worthwhile.

Maybe I'm reading Chick's post too literally, but I don't think that Murkow was talking about a physical death in the slightest. IMO, Murkrow was lamenting that a linear-based goal's productivity only lasts as long as the goal hasn't been reached and therefore limited as opposed to a more spontaneous lateral approach (in his own mind).

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
No, I meant physical death.

I think, it was a long ass time ago.

T

ThatGirl

I don't know what this means but I have always mentally visualized my thought and reaction patterns as a horizontal spiral pattern in which each loop overlaps and contributes to those behid it as well as those comming while I have recognized that others walk a certainly straight path. No wonder Ne has more energy we need it. It is like taking 500 steps to move forward one. Which we do rather quickly.

Does that pretain to the topic?