• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] How should one deal with NF's that are being overly emotional?

absoluteuncertainty

MBTI Type
ENFP
Two intelligent people with similar values will get along with, and appreciate each other.

Oh how I hate thee, label of intelligence, bane of unity, father of ego.

The statement would be very much the same if it read

"Two people with similar values will get along with and appreciate each other."

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Oh how I hate thee, label of intelligence, bane of unity, father of ego.

The statement would be very much the same if it read

"Two people with similar values will get along with and appreciate each other."

No, not really. There is no cure for stupidity. Two non-intelligent people wont get along just fine because they are much too small-minded to understand one another. Keirsey's insight concerning the correlation between N and diplomacy skills was a profound one.

absoluteuncertainty

MBTI Type
ENFP
No, not really. There is no cure for stupidity. Two non-intelligent people wont get along just fine because they are much too small-minded to understand one another.

I cannot find any source for your claim. I welcome you to defend your position! I cannot find any correlation between intelligence and "good" relationships, for any measurement of "good".

absoluteuncertainty

MBTI Type
ENFP
here comes a three page Fi essay. Have fun reading.

Not afraid of reading, what I'm afraid of is peoples' tendacy to pass intelligence as 'good' or 'correct' and stupidity as 'evil' or 'wrong', when I can't find anything to even suggest intelligence correlates to successful (in any measurement) living.

Now, try to ignore the outliers, as the direction we've took is everyday living... Ignore the Albert Einsteins and those unfunctional poor souls that lie around all day having sex and deficating on themselves...

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
The reason stupidity is seen as bad probably stems from an evolutionary perspective on the matter. Obviously, those choking on their own drool because they are so stupid do not benifit the human species pursuit to thrive, while intelligent people are seen as capable of helping this cause.

Now if you mean being a simpleton is not bad, I agree. But being stupid while having the capacity to improve ones standing is really a waste, and waste is seen as bad. In my book, if you don't try to harm anything you are good, and if you are a people/nature harming bastard, then you are bad.

absoluteuncertainty

MBTI Type
ENFP
Well let us reflect upon the statement that I intially objected:

No, not really. There is no cure for stupidity. Two non-intelligent people wont get along just fine because they are much too small-minded to understand one another.

This statement seems to me to be not only untrue, but filled with bias against something the author doesn't even understand. I offer an avenue of clarification: to show impartial evidence that intelligence, or lack thereof, has correlation with leading a successful life.

Personally, I agree that intelligence is a societally revered quality, and it saddens me that to suggest that intelligence is irrelevent to a discussion is taboo.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Intelligence is not entirely static. Nature provides our upper and lower limits to how our minds can respond to environment, however, you can take just about anyone from point A to B if they have a desire to expand their mind. We can always choose to grow at least a little. The persistent choice to continually grow at least a little can have a remarkable effect over time. Also, a gifted mind, if squandered, can turn surprisingly stupid. I have considered that one of the best signs of intelligence is the ability to perceive our upper limit. Stupidity is often lacking the ability to be aware of what we either do not or cannot comprehend.

SquirrelTao

MBTI Type
INXX
I can only speak for myself, but "chill out" and "calm down" are trite commands that would annoy me. When I'm letting off steam, trying to clamp down the lid could lead to an explosion.

I can be as logical as anybody. I got an A in my logic class in college. Logic is easy. Emotional wisdom is much more complex and much harder. It takes maturity.

As for what to do in response, I think that first of all, you just need to accept the emotion. It is okay. It won't kill them. It won't kill you. Second of all, I don't know...it depends on the situation. Human emotional issues are complicated mothers.

SquirrelTao

MBTI Type
INXX
You know, the Fs mentioned in the OP will find one way or the other to be offended. There is nothing I can do to stop being an 'asshole' even when I try not to offend them!

Murkrow is on the right track. In most cases, you just state your reasoning and walk away, it doesn't matter if they registered what you said. Its hopeless because their emotional reaction will eclpise their faculties of rational cognition to the point where they simply cannot arrive at an objective understanding of what you said.

In most cases you won't need to be on good terms with such Fs. You may as well say nothing at all. But if you want your voice heard, do that.

If you need to be on good terms with them, than use my method.

Okay, I need to point out that for Jung, the feeling function is not the equivalent of emotion. It is a way of thinking. It is a less linear and narrow way of thinking, a way that sees more interconnections, that takes more factors into consideration simultaneously. You do not understand the feeling function at all.

Need I point out that lack of influence of the feeling function has gotten the world into the unsustainable mess it is currently in. We have a lot of ecological, political and social problems in our world. We solve a problem only to create another. It's what we do as a species when we are too intellectual and not paying enough attention to what you simplify with the label of "harmony".

And do you really think that any MBTI type is incapable of reason? Do you really believe only NTs can reason or something? It's almost like you think you're another species. This is getting so weird; it's worse than that trite Mars-Venus crap.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Sometimes I really have a hard time calming down NF's, or F's in general. Saying "chill out" or "calm down" certainly hasn't worked well, neither does using logic sometimes, but I have used cold hard logic to calm people down before. Do I try talking more slowly and in a soft voice, maybe I'm talking to fast?

I argue with people a lot and with NF guys this is usually what can set them off, that or I'll make a joke and they get offended. And with girls, if they are crying, I am rendered completely useless no matter what I say it seems. It's like they have already made the decision they are going to cry and there is nothing I can do.

Escalation is your friend. :cry:

sharpedges

MBTI Type
ENTJ
It seems to me (from blogs I've reviewed) most NTs take the questioning approach... I can see the reasoning (mutual respect). Although, being I'm a classic wench when my time is wasted, I opt for the simple apology for unleashing the feelings (taking a break to reflect on how my action had cause). And, of course, ultimately avoiding that wave in the future. :doh:

As for intelligence, it's about maturity and understanding from ever angle in my opinion. I've been told on several different occassions, "the world isn't a game and people aren't pieces". I just chuckle silently. To me it is - when you step into my terrain. Come on - I'm not the only one floating in a bubble.

Everyone has their own type of intelligence (and naturally it's priority). I say forget the golden rule... it's about treating those as they treat others. That is until things get ugly... then it's free game. May the best man/woman win!

It's simple cause and effect... be careful where it's placed!

spacecadette

MBTI Type
INFP
Just leave us alone for a bit. Tell us you'll come back to talk later on. Then we'll be able to have a good think about everything and the feelings won't be so overwhelming. That's from an introverts' perspective anyway.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
And do you really think that any MBTI type is incapable of reason? Do you really believe only NTs can reason or something? It's almost like you think you're another species. This is getting so weird; it's worse than that trite Mars-Venus crap.

:laugh:

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Initially, logic is not the route to go and will only make the F more emotional (and very mad at you). The best advice I have for Ts is that though it may seem that no progress is being made, you actually are helping an F by allowing them to vent without tell them to calm down, chill out or that they're over reacting. Fs will let go much quicker if they feel heard or at least not further provoked. They also can only take honesty in little sugar-coated bits.

During that initial stage, just try not to do any further (perceived) damage. Reasoning will not help. If it bugs you too much to see tears, explain that you don't want to do any damage and go away temporarily. If the offense was unintentional, explain that.

Usually if the F is way overreacting, they'll soon realize it on their own. If they are just reacting in a way you are unused to reacting yourself, be as nice to them as possible and they'll come around if they feel you care about them. This is the stage where you can discuss it using some logic and they'll be more receptive as long as you don't treat them like they were an unreasonable, overwrought child. (Then they'll want to tell you more about it, with more tears)

Tears are a release and though many Ts feel an allergic reaction to them, for an F they can be therapeutic and wash away feelings of resentment that otherwise would become a big problem between you.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sometimes I really have a hard time calming down NF's, or F's in general. Saying "chill out" or "calm down" certainly hasn't worked well, neither does using logic sometimes, but I have used cold hard logic to calm people down before. Do I try talking more slowly and in a soft voice, maybe I'm talking to fast?
Start by listening. To say "stop feeling" at the moment a person is feeling and expecting a response of "okay, I'll do that" might not be realistic. Maybe there are NTs who could respond like that when upset, but I think if anyone reaches that point of upset, then a simple command of "stop" is unlikely to work.

Intense emotions are the result of chemicals flooding the body. Saying "stop feeling" is not unlike saying "stop puking". If there is a physiological process in place you will have to wait it out. If it is too hard for you to deal with, then perhaps just leave while they cool down. When everyone is calm, you can then discuss why certain things trigger the response and find a way to avoid it in the future.

For short-term fixes, it can help to say something like "it wasn't my purpose to say something upsetting" and possibly apologize for the miscommunication if that seems reasonable. Own your end of the miscommunication without intruding on their response. To assume the other person is in the wrong for having an emotion and to pressure them to quit can come across as assuming a position of superiority and judgment. There is some reason they interpreted it as they did and had the response. Until you understand why, then it doesn't make sense to assume they are in the wrong. Listen first, then demonstrate no criticism or superiority, then apply logic.

Edit: A point of interest to this topic came up once when I was studying Dialectical Behavior Therapy. The act of fixating on a negative emotion and the act of denying it stem from the same motivation that the negative emotion is threatening and too much to handle. Both fixation and denial make the negativity grow in power. Both make it seem more impossible to control. The healthiest approach is to see it for what it is - simply a natural human response to stimuli. This helps to release those innate fears of either facing or letting go of a negative response. Approaching someone else's emotions without fear, and as simply a process that can in fact be dealt with and solved, it robs it of that power.

Oddly Refined

Enneagram
I have no idea if this works for other people. In my family, we use humor to alleviate tension and it helps. Usually the puns are ridiculous or very subtle. You have to work to find them. My mother claims using logical/literal humor allows our logical side to kick in. My mother is a very logical person. She worked painstakingly to teach each of us the most effective way to maneuver through the world.

For me personally, I just ask to be left alone. I do not want to explode and I prefer to take the time to calm down. This way, my logic can kick in and I can take time to understand the nature of the situation. I do care about the truth and the facts. My personal challenge is to not allow my emotions to overwhelm me, so that I can focus on the information. I can analyze and understand what's going on around and inside of me. I'm a whirlwind sometimes, but I prefer to be focused. I want to communicate in the most concise manner that I can.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Either listen to us rant or leave us alone. When I'm upset and going off on a rant telling me to calm down just makes me think you are thinking that my opinions are worthless or that I am lying or making excuses or whatever, in other words it gets interpreted by me as a personal attack.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
To the OP -

I argue with people a lot and with NF guys this is usually what can set them off, that or I'll make a joke and they get offended. And with girls, if they are crying, I am rendered completely useless no matter what I say it seems. It's like they have already made the decision they are going to cry and there is nothing I can do.

I'd have to say that a lot of NFs process things verbally. To try and stop that equates to shutting down how an NF could potentially make a decision, settle a matter in their own mind etc.. I think the NF that has that done to them would only get frustrated at you and the situation.

My advice is to nod and smile. Ask questions that will draw the NF out and help them process things.

If that sounds like too much trouble then you might find more NTs to hang out with.

blomiki

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
-
Validate my feelings!.. Good old psychology... tell me you can see I feel strongly about it (you will definitely score points with that).

You'll make it better if you can demonstrate that you slightly understand my point. Remember, I WANT harmony, probably even more than you, so I'll grab at any attempt from your side to restore the relationship.

For the rest, I think if you still want to convince me of your point, you'll have to do it later.