• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] How should one deal with NF's that are being overly emotional?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yeah, actually.

Most people are assholes, and I have been blessed or cursed to not happen to be one of them.

See I don't agree with this, I think everyone including myself and you has been an asshole at some point in their lives (life?) but at the same time those people who are assholes most of the time have not been an asshole. Sure some people are asshole 99.99999% while their alive.

And I really don't care what your morals are, and if they're not the same as mine. I don't care. The point is I don't care what you believe as long as you treat everyone with the amount of respect they deserve, even if they were raised different then you and therefore might have different morals then you. You can try to get them to see things from your side, but don't try to change them. I love when someone who is totally different then myself is able to let me see things from their point of view.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
THE TRUTH IS, THAT HOMOSEXUALITY IS NOT WRONG!!!

And that it never has been, nor never will be wrong, regardless of how many ignoridiots there are who happen to believe otherwise.

That may be correct in the sense that morally right and wrong can never be objectively true. But we if talk only in the terms of morality, which is subjective, than it is a real debate.

I'm fine with gay people, but I can't deny that there's no way to objectively state that homosexuality is good or bad. I could make arguments that it is harmless, but what is harm? Harm is subjective. So, even if I scientifically explained that homosexuality does not result in any kind of physical process that permanently slows or halts the operation of the body or of society... That still wouldn't define "good". Deontologically, someone could argue that homosexuality is still wrong, just by honor. Just as well, you could deontologically argue that homosexuality is fine by rights.

It's not objective.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
This is off topic, and I am not in the mood to provide you with an autobiographical dissertation as to why I believe in certain universal moral truths.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
So much tripe.

So very much.

Not your fault. Your premise is poorly planted.

heart

heart on fire
See I don't agree with this, I think everyone including myself and you has been an asshole at some point in their lives (life?) but at the same time those people who are assholes most of the time have not been an asshole. Sure some people are asshole 99.99999% while their alive.

And I really don't care what your morals are, and if they're not the same as mine. I don't care. The point is I don't care what you believe as long as you treat everyone with the amount of respect they deserve, even if they were raised different then you and therefore might have different morals then you. You can try to get them to see things from your side, but don't try to change them. I love when someone who is totally different then myself is able to let me see things from their point of view.

Yeah but treating people with respect is just another value that others may not share.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is off topic, and I am not in the mood to provide you with an autobiographical dissertation as to why I believe in certain universal moral truths.

We've already been off topic for a while.
There are some things that appear to be good to most people. Following a sense of good on that premise would be Fe.

I try to satisfy every part of my mind with my morals. My Ti, Te, Fi, and Fe, and in their own strange way, my perception, too. But even my moral code is one that I must admit is subjective. It's pragmatic, utilitarian, and pluralistic, and still subjective!

Can you bring me a brick of moral good?
Can you write me an a equation that proves morality?

I know why a person would want to think that their moral code was the truth. It's obviously self-empowering, and provides a sense of safety. But it's niceness doesn't make it the objective truth.

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
True. sad, but true. very true
Moral relativity contradicts itself. You'll first have to throw off your humanity to become a true relativist.
It doesn't deserve much intellectual attention.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
THE TRUTH IS, THAT HOMOSEXUALITY IS NOT WRONG!!!

And that it never has been, nor never will be wrong, regardless of how many ignoridiots there are who happen to believe otherwise.
Wrong, no. Weird, yes. To me homosexuality is similar to affection for Rob Schneider movies. Whatever works for you, just don't expect everyone to get all giddy over your taste.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Moral relativity contradicts itself. You'll first have to throw off your humanity to become a true relativist.
It doesn't deserve much intellectual attention.

yeah, see I know I'm a contradiction. and I'd rather be a contradiction then not humane.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
We've already been off topic for a while.
There are some things that appear to be good to most people. Following a sense of good on that premise would be Fe.

I try to satisfy every part of my mind with my morals. My Ti, Te, Fi, and Fe, and in their own strange way, my perception, too. But even my moral code is one that I must admit is subjective. It's pragmatic, utilitarian, and pluralistic, and still subjective!

I know why a person would want to think that their moral code was the truth. It's obviously self-empowering, and provides a sense of safety. But it's niceness doesn't make it the objective truth.
Self-empowering, sense of safety?!?!?!??!

You couldn't be more wrong buddy, my moral code, in effect, has been a primary source of many years and instances of deep sadness, disappointment, disillusionment and, of course, suffering.

Don't give me that bollocks.

The truth, i.e. reality, i.e. that which exists, abstract though it may at times be, does not "become" true when proven, but rather is rationally proven to be true, which, it always happened to be.

And, um, can you bring me a brick of love or write me an equation that proves its existence?

No, you cannot.

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
This thread fails....

How do you treat an overly emotional anyone is dependent on the person? I am an NF but I don't go around crying like a bitch about every little thing. On the contrary, I think my Te makes me seem more like an aligator than anything.

The problem here, is that you are dealing with people, not computer programs, so their is no 12 step process to cure anything.

Conclusion: EPIC FAIL

EDIT: I have not read any of the other posts in here... Man I wish I could go back in time and slap who ever thought that feeling and thinking would be the best way to describe these functions.

heart

heart on fire
I cannot be understanding of those who are not humane, therefore I cannot be a relativist.

You couldn't be more wrong buddy, my moral code, in effect, has been a primary source of many years and instances of deep sadness, disappointment, disillusionment and, of course, suffering.

It's nearly impossible to explain to someone else. :hug:

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fight, fight, fight!!!!!!!!

(Sorry, had to say it)

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Sure. But unless you're a sociopath(and you clearly aren't) you can't get rid of your sense of right and wrong. So that suffering is automatic. You ease the pain with self-justification and a sense of certainty. It would be even more painful to have a sense of morality while admitting that it does not objectively exist. I know.

Don't give me that bollocks.

The truth, i.e. reality, i.e. that which exists, abstract though it may at times be, does not "become" true when proven, but rather is rationally proven to be true, which, it always happened to be.

Always happened to be? So did morality exist before lifeforms did?

And tell me this, Descartes. How do you prove moral good as an extension of some foundational a priori?(finally, a proper use for the term) That would be the rationalist method after all.

And, um, can you bring me a brick of love or write me an equation that proves its existence?

No, you cannot.

Well... I can show that it's taking place in the brain, via neurological scans. Surely the belief in moral code creates a process in the brain, too. But the values of love and moral good cannot be measured and they cannot be objectively defined.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Sometimes I really have a hard time calming down NF's, or F's in general. Saying "chill out" or "calm down" certainly hasn't worked well, neither does using logic sometimes, but I have used cold hard logic to calm people down before. Do I try talking more slowly and in a soft voice, maybe I'm talking to fast?

I argue with people a lot and with NF guys this is usually what can set them off, that or I'll make a joke and they get offended. And with girls, if they are crying, I am rendered completely useless no matter what I say it seems. It's like they have already made the decision they are going to cry and there is nothing I can do.

The answer is in your avatar. Get them to repeat a series of numbers--a telephone number, a date, something like that. It engages sequential processing functions in the left brain; emotion is generally a result of right brain activity.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The answer is in your avatar. Get them to repeat a series of numbers--a telephone number, a date, something like that. It engages sequential processing functions in the left brain; emotion is generally a result of right brain activity.

:huh:

Should they gargle saltwater, too?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tend to have a pretty good control of my emotions, for an NF at least. If I become overly emotional towards you, you have been insulting, demeaning, and making my life miserable for too long and there is little chance you can redeem yourself now. Getting to this point with me is not something that happens easily.

However, for the more emotionally volatile NFs, I could offer some general ideas. First, don't invalidate our emotion. Emotions are oil and logic is water, and they don't mix well. If the oil is on fire, you do NOT want to pour water on it! This can be incredibly frustrating to the NT, especially if the NF has taken on the 'victim' role in an overly dramatic fashion.

It's better to ask questions that will allow me to vent initially. How do I feel? What happened? Why did the situation make me feel that way? In a way, you can be helpful in me understanding the underlying cause of my emotional reaction. Also, if you detect that I'm over reacting to something specific, you can start to ask questions to bring that out. However, if your attempt fails, let me keep my stupid emotional overreaction for now and come back to it later.

It definitely requires patience, and for an NT I can bet it's frustrating. The question is, does the advantages NF outweigh the frustrations it may cause?