• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Am I out of place here?

S

Sniffles

Sorry for such an asinine question, but for some reason this keeps bugging me. It seems wherever I go, I seem somehow out of place - and this place is no exception.

Im not bragging or anything; it just seems I'm able to add different angles and dimensions to certain discussions. Or present facts that most people are hardly aware of. For some odd reason, I just have knack for that.

I guess a light-hearted example is Nocturne's thread where he wants people to ask him random questions to stimulate thought. So essentially I asked his take on Carl Schmitt's political philosophy.

Then these posts in the thread concerning Hitler's type:
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/272710-post21.html
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/272738-post25.html

Then who can forget my personal thread where I rant on about various topics popping into my head. Especially look at my take on Kierkegaard there.

Then my response to Night in the Great Christian argument thread.

Or my take on Communitarianism.

Is it just me, or do these posts seem a bit out of the norm? It seems I'm constantly spouting and naming off stuff most people here have never heard of. Nothing wrong with that per se; but too often it leads to misunderstandings, among other things.

Also I notice people often don't respond to my posts, which irritates me because I like feedback. Two main reaons for this I notice, either 1) people are just overwhelmed by my posts or 2) they're amazed at my posts and just want to read more(yes I actually got a complaint about this once; not that I talk too much but too little, they want more commentary from me).

Problem is, I don't really know what if any effect Im having. It seems people just ignore me.

So yeah, if anybody wants to touche this with a 20ft pole I'd appreciated it. Perhaps others have a similar feeling bugging them?

And to all the cynics out there, yeah yeah I know.....
attention-whore3.jpg

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I can really identify with your initial statement that wherever you go you feel out of place.

I'm currently not totally sure if I'm a J or P anymore, but I've been researching it and this quote by Vicky Jo Varner stood out as something that describes me well.

We feel different, even when we are surrounded by other people who are INFJs and similar to us in every way (age, race, education, income). We would find a way to feel different. Most INFJs perpetually live with this sensation of being isolated, feeling different from the pack. Even when we aren't isolated, we tend to FEEL isolated, despite all evidence to the contrary.

You're not the only one, man.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't think you're any more "out of place" than anyone else. You have a unique perspective because you're the only you. I confess I don't get many of your posts, but that's true for a lot of people's. There are some topics that I can tell by the title I'm not going to be interested in, and others that sound good but when I read it, nearly every post just shows up to me as "words...blahblah...words...more words.." but that's on me, not on anybody else to feel the need to change or dumb anything down for me. Everybody's going to have different things that they are drawn to, and there's nothing wrong with that.

In other words, ROCK ON with your "out of the norm" self. Who says the "the norm" is something to aspire to? Do yo thang. :nice:

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Often times less is more. Maybe you need sexy new avatar. Deep down most people are whores and respond mental imagery. Maybe start a new thread asking people to choose your next avatar. Then if you're feeling especially brave post your pic in the what we look like thread to give people a face to put with your name.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
You are still pretty new and this is a big forum. Like Jen said, maybe post some fluffy stuff so people can get to know you as a person a bit.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
When you post, you seem to rarely say anything original, i.e. you seem to regurgitate, quote or cite other "prolific" persons.

Fora tend to be places where people like to swap and share *their* personal stories, and not the stories of *others*.

So yeah, whereas most people are sharing autobiographical information, you seem to prefer to share biographical information, so perhaps that is why *you*, "don't fit in".

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I agree with CC. None of the stuff you mention in your OP is new to me, but I am not here for that type of connection so I typically don't respond. I would love to know more about you, though. (As Butthead says, if I wanted to read, I'd go to school. :D)

Incidentally this is the same thing that frustrates me about BlueWing- I have a hunch there's a really cool, interesting dude in there but he seems not to care if we see that or not. That's okay, I guess, he has carved out a niche for himself with his philosophies and unique angle on typology, but I do kind of crave getting to know him. You, at least, seem marginally more interested in letting folks in.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I can really identify with your initial statement that wherever you go you feel out of place.

I'm currently not totally sure if I'm a J or P anymore, but I've been researching it and this quote by Vicky Jo Varner stood out as something that describes me well.

You're not the only one, man.
Is this an INFJ thing, or a being an exception to the norm thing?

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Try hopping on the bandwagon with relatively trivial threads. You seem to really concentrate on mostly philosophical/intellectual stuff.

What I'm trying to say is that perhaps breaking out of your pattern would show people that you're more well-rounded than what most of your post history has to say about you.

Post on on the threads that are already getting lots of responses, you can see that on the 'live new posts' link. Those are high traffic areas and posting there, I reckon, will up your street credit, yo.

If you stick to the same 'ol stuff it's no surprise if people go, 'Oh another one of those posts of his', and then write it off immediately.

Diversify yo' self, fool dog.

And I second the motion for getting a new avi.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Wyst has a point. I think if folks get the idea you think you're too good for some silliness, it can make them feel inferior. I know it works that way for me.

In other words: does every post need to be about Kierkegaard et. al.? Is it possible that you are slightly protective of your intelligence and less scholarly topics make you feel anxious that you might not come across as erudite?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I agree with CC. None of the stuff you mention in your OP is new to me, but I am not here for that type of connection so I typically don't respond. I would love to know more about you, though. (As Butthead says, if I wanted to read, I'd go to school. :D)

Incidentally this is the same thing that frustrates me about BlueWing- I have a hunch there's a really cool, interesting dude in there but he seems not to care if we see that or not. That's okay, I guess, he has carved out a niche for himself with his philosophies and unique angle on typology, but I do kind of crave getting to know him. You, at least, seem marginally more interested in letting folks in.

Well, Bluewing's posts *are* his own original thoughts. That explains why nobody can understand what he's saying unless they've read his entire collected works.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Is this an INFJ thing, or a being an exception to the norm thing?

I think it's an INFJ thing. But from what I've read, INFJs feel this kind of isolation to a greater extent, sometimes leading us to feel like we're the victims of fate in a cruel world.

I think people are only exceptions to the norm if they are doing something/not doing something to excess.

Wyst has a point.
:banana:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Well, Bluewing's posts *are* his own original thoughts. That explains why nobody can understand what he's saying unless they've read his entire collected works.

Moreso now than in the past. They used to be a lot more derivative.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I think it's an INFJ thing. But from what I've read, INFJs feel this kind of isolation to a greater extent, sometimes leading us to feel like we're the victims of fate in a cruel world.
I don't. Poop on all of you.

L and I tried to read Kierkegaard's, The Concept of Anxiety and felt as if our eyes were going to fall out. :zzz::zzz:I need to be entertained. Dazzle me Peguy! :holy:

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I never saw that communitarian post made by Peguy, but I'm glad I saw it now. At least one other person identifies with that concept.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

L and I tried to read Kierkegaard's, The Concept of Anxiety and felt as if our eyes were going to fall out. :zzz::zzz:I need to be entertained. Dazzle me Peguy! :holy:

Is that why you claim to be an ESFJ now?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mostly what got said so far. Here's what I think when I read your posts, depending on the topic at hand:

1. You sound like you know far more than me on the topic, so it would be ignorant for me to say anything.
2. You might be completely wrong, but I don't have the time or interest in the topic at hand enough to research it just to argue it to depth with you.
3. You have a strong opinion on a topic that is expressed in a way that makes it clear it's pointless for me to bother debating you because you're not going to change your mind regardless of the points I might make.
4. Even when you lodge momentarily in a topic I know something about AND have an interest in, real life demands tell me it's a poor use of what little time and energy I have to get caught up in too deep a discussion with you, because I don't have any real-life connection with you / personal investment and vice versa. That's just the way it is.

You seem to be very intelligent.
You also seem to enjoy talking about your ideas rather than about you.
I can go anywhere and hear ideas. Everyone's got an opinion.
But you're the only "you" there is.
So that would be more interesting to me at this time in my life, since my intellectual needs have changed over the years and I also see the debates as less conclusive and more just as people sowing their intellectual oats and strutting their stuff.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

I thought you were in eNFJ... :shock:

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Sorry for such an asinine question, but for some reason this keeps bugging me. It seems wherever I go, I seem somehow out of place - and this place is no exception.

Im not bragging or anything; it just seems I'm able to add different angles and dimensions to certain discussions. Or present facts that most people are hardly aware of. For some odd reason, I just have knack for that.

I guess a light-hearted example is Nocturne's thread where he wants people to ask him random questions to stimulate thought. So essentially I asked his take on Carl Schmitt's political philosophy.

Then these posts in the thread concerning Hitler's type:
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/272710-post21.html
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/272738-post25.html

Then who can forget my personal thread where I rant on about various topics popping into my head. Especially look at my take on Kierkegaard there.

Then my response to Night in the Great Christian argument thread.

Or my take on Communitarianism.

Is it just me, or do these posts seem a bit out of the norm? It seems I'm constantly spouting and naming off stuff most people here have never heard of. Nothing wrong with that per se; but too often it leads to misunderstandings, among other things.

I can speak only for myself, but I can assure you that your citations are rarely mysterious to me - I have a vast knowledge of Theosophy - both as a weapon and as a form of spiritual Mercantilism.

If that is any encouragement to you, then endear it as such.

I think what you're really asking is if your incisions are overly esoteric and/or too academic.
I don't believe they are. In fact, I think you're begging the question.

Wanting others to conform is a form of esoterica, if you catch my drift...

Also I notice people often don't respond to my posts, which irritates me because I like feedback. Two main reaons for this I notice, either 1) people are just overwhelmed by my posts or 2) they're amazed at my posts and just want to read more(yes I actually got a complaint about this once; not that I talk too much but too little, they want more commentary from me).

You're looking too hard. Don't expect so much.

Expectations for others often lead to disappointment with oneself. Either as a result of the apparent disconnect or consequent to a sense of elevated isolation, as seems the case with you.

I mean this kindly.

I like you, Peguy. You probably shouldn't expect others to abandon their positions simply because you've adequately weaponized yours.

Problem is, I don't really know what if any effect Im having. It seems people just ignore me.

Effect?

What's your cause, Peguy?

...and why would it work for anyone besides you?