• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFtensity - Wooosh!

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The intensity can be such that it raises questions of sanity. And I don't just mean in romantic contexts . . . for example, I had one girl I had just met call and message me constantly.

Ah. That IS freaky. Did you tell her to knock it off?

For the record, that's not archetypal of NFs, necessarily. That's just ridiculous and needy, or misguided.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I dealt with it my way, which is to say i ignored some of her messages and had my roommate screen my calls. I got called to the carpet over it soon enough though. It was the start of a beautiful friendship.

edit: I got to know her over the next few years, and she is an E/INFP

edit2: i later dated an NF - briefly- who was just like she was. :run:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As an ENFJ, I have no choice, I connect to everyone, sometimes all at once. It can be harrowing. As to deeply connecting (fusion), I still experience this frequently. More frequently than I would like. I wish I had more control over being involved with people.

I thought this was interesting, since I usually feel the same way -- having a desire to connect with everyone, automatically empathizing, and feeling hurt at some level if I am unable to forge that connection. I never really got to "choose" the desire to do this, it just happens, I want to know everyone on a deeper level, and sometimes I get dragged into people's problems and dilemmas even if it's probably not good for me or I should be keeping my space.

I show the pattern described in the OP in my e-mail communications. If I meet someone I find interesting and who engages me, the first week can be almost obsessive. Usually after a week or two, once the connection is established, everything dies off so it can almost seem like I am disinterested, but I'm not; the connection is now in "maintenance" mode. A few NFs I met with this way seemed hurt by how things dwindled; a few others seem skittish and seem "bait and switch," they'll say a lot of intimate things about themselves, then seem to feel afraid and pull way back for awhile, and it's a pendulum swing between being let inside and being totally held at arms length. Usually with me, it's the slow dwindle, although at any time, that connection can be "called upon" and we can leap into deep things.

Anyway, my online approach is not how I act IRL. I don't know how the ENFs approach it, but I find obsessiveness in the physical realm to be very smothering; the only reason I can allow myself to do it in the writing realm is because I know the other person is always free to back out whenever they need space, so I know I'm not imposing, nor would I pursue someone who shows lack of interest.

Do ENFs get physically intrusive IRL, even when the other person backs off?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I thought this was interesting, since I usually feel the same way -- having a desire to connect with everyone, automatically empathizing, and feeling hurt at some level if I am unable to forge that connection. I never really got to "choose" the desire to do this, it just happens, I want to know everyone on a deeper level, and sometimes I get dragged into people's problems and dilemmas even if it's probably not good for me or I should be keeping my space.

Ditto, sis.

Do ENFs get physically intrusive IRL, even when the other person backs off?

NO. Never do I press when I'm seeing a step back. That makes ME step back too, even before I know what's going on. I don't like stepping on mines, know what I mean? I'll press a friend if I know they're in trouble, but only after feeling out the situation. As to a guy blowing hot and cold on me? File 13. Gone. No need for his drama or weirdness. I'm such a glacially slow mover that any guy feeling pushed by me is nothing but a ridiculous Chandler Bing commitment phobe.

I NEED SPACE. MUST HAVE. NOT OPTIONAL.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
Never do I press when I'm seeing a step back. That makes ME step back too, even before I know what's going on.

Agreed.

The intensity can be such that it raises questions of sanity. And I don't just mean in romantic contexts . . . for example, I had one girl I had just met call and message me constantly.

Yep. I recognize it seems a little insane. That is exactly what I do, but I try to exercise self-restraint for the sake of the other person who usually cannot handle it. If I sense distance or they jump back suddenly, I jump back too though. Well, unless I think they are just confused (versus actually annoyed or disinterested). It's easier to plow through with those I intend on being friends with versus lovers.

"It might be argued that each type, when first in love, resembles a garden-variety ENFP, because ENFPs normally behave like people in love. Some of the cultural cliches about falling in love - such as "Falling in love with love," "Head over heels in love," "Love is blind," "All the world loves a lover," and "Throw caution to the wind" - seem to apply to the ENFP. This same boundless affection can be showered upon friends, co-workers, and others."

Yes, I boundlessly throw caution to the wind and it gets me in trouble... until the other person gives in and decide they like it. :)

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
If I meet someone I find interesting and who engages me, the first week can be almost obsessive. Usually after a week or two, once the connection is established, everything dies off so it can almost seem like I am disinterested, but I'm not; the connection is now in "maintenance" mode.

Yes, Yes! I am like this. Once the connection is established, I can relax and then I'm more like... ok, we're good now. I would not classify it as boredom, but the newness has worn off and now I'm in my favorite phase on the relationship where there is mutual understanding and liking. No need for intense pursuit. Bliss!

I think the beginning of relationships are always the toughest for me, but also the most exciting. It's a love-hate thing. I want the stability, but I want the excitement too!

SillyGoose

MBTI Type
EXXP
I agree with PP. It's a dance almost. They step back, I step back. I pick up really quickly when they need room and I need a lot of room, so yeah, I don't generally chase anyone.

Unless they want to be :devil:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
True dat, Goose. Chasing CAN be fun.

Round and round a table... :D

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...I think the beginning of relationships are always the toughest for me, but also the most exciting. It's a love-hate thing. I want the stability, but I want the excitement too!

See, the beginnings are always the easiest for me... and the most exciting. I am very event- and need-driven.

It's engaging later, when I don't have a need of circumstance to do so, that is hard.

findthejake

MBTI Type
ENFP
I suck at beginnings. Like I know I am supposed to play coy and aloof and all that bullshit but I find my fingers typing texts or emails and hitting send before I even realize what I'm doing. Then I am always like "frick! I should explain that I'm crazy at the start... no i can't do that cause then I admit to being crazy and what if she doesn't like crazy? frick! frick! FRICK!"

or something very similar to that about 15 times a day.

sketcheasy

MBTI Type
ENFP
I suck at beginnings. Like I know I am supposed to play coy and aloof and all that bullshit but I find my fingers typing texts or emails and hitting send before I even realize what I'm doing. Then I am always like "frick! I should explain that I'm crazy at the start... no i can't do that cause then I admit to being crazy and what if she doesn't like crazy? frick! frick! FRICK!"

i feel you man... i feel you...

SillyGoose

MBTI Type
EXXP

OMG, seriously, yes that is how I feel too. I just compensate quite a bit by taking their cues. But that worries me because what if they are just shy and waiting on me?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So this is how it's supposed to go? Usually I'm getting hauled to the concrete and embroiled in a kumite with an NTP.... what's with ME being intense?!

SillyGoose

MBTI Type
EXXP
So this is how it's supposed to go? Usually I'm getting hauled to the concrete and embroiled in a kumite with an NTP.... what's with ME being intense?!

Cause you're hawt and they don't know what to do but try to wrassle ya.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Cause you're hawt and they don't know what to do but try to wrassle ya.

haha! I'm having vivid flashbacks to being wrestled down in front of hydraulics lab, elbowing an ENTP in the ribs and his hand down the back of my pants.

That so wasn't on the syllabus.

SillyGoose

MBTI Type
EXXP
haha! I'm having vivid flashbacks to being wrestled down in front of hydraulics lab, elbowing an ENTP in the ribs and his hand down the back of my pants.

That so wasn't on the syllabus.

See?

No one cares about the syllabus here :)

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Personally, when I feel the NFtensity coming on, it's probably someone else's fault. Like an NTP. I take off my shoe and proceed to lay a mighty mighty dainty smackdown, which may or may not include windmilling action ala Pete Townshend. Then, when I'm done raining them with dainty painless blows, I verbally upbraid them for the villains they are whilst declaring their possessions for the Mighty Pink Commonwealth of Awesome. Then, we might make out.

Either or. Either or.

Sounds like fun...If only I knew what that meant. :devil:

Priam

MBTI Type
INTP
Oh! the NFs. I love NFtensity. Everyone else plays the cat at the beginning when they like someone in any context; that strange "you can pet me for five minutes, but then pretend we don't know each other" dance. NFs? The adorable puppy (and I mean that with all due respect).

"OMG PET ME PET ME PET ME LET'S PLAY YOU WANNA PLAY? I LIKE PLAYING!"

It engages the insecure part of me that is never sure if people actually like me or are simply humoring me, leaving no question of being appreciated. I likes :)

Plus later on playing with the matches, as PP so aptly put it, is just so much fun. I like winding ENFs up and watching them go off. The best part is the look of outrage when they realize it was deliberate.