• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Other Side of INFJ

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
what do you INFJs think of this article? apparently it's really resonating with INFJs on reddit. thought some of you might find it interesting.

The "Other Side" of the INFJ

unsomething

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w3
I personally think it's too theoretical and missing a person-focused perspective. If you asked me about my "other" side, it would go a lot deeper than the things outlined here. I guess it's a good si/te oriented perspective of an infj. (I mean, it's pretty obvious that arbitrary STJ rules are going to ruffle Ni feathers. That doesn't mean an INFJ can't work with them, but their ability to push through it will be based, IMO, on how much they let that emotionally frustrate them. It's frustrating because it devalues what is important to Ni-Fe and it's easy to just feel overlooked when you also have so much to offer. The fact is that you are outnumbered and misunderstood. That can inspire some inner darkness that INFJs are famous for and I think that's where the other side of the INFJ begins.)

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I personally think it's too theoretical and missing a person-focused perspective. If you asked me about my "other" side, it would go a lot deeper than the things outlined here. I guess it's a good si/te oriented perspective of an infj. (I mean, it's pretty obvious that arbitrary STJ rules are going to ruffle Ni feathers. That doesn't mean an INFJ can't work with them, but their ability to push through it will be based, IMO, on how much they let that emotionally frustrate them. It's frustrating because it devalues what is important to Ni-Fe and it's easy to just feel overlooked when you also have so much to offer. The fact is that you are outnumbered and misunderstood. That can inspire some inner darkness that INFJs are famous for and I think that's where the other side of the INFJ begins.)

it was mainly a response to the INFJ 'rare special morally unparalleled type' thing she was seeing a lot of online. INFJs are very idealized in MBTI communities, almost precluded from criticism, and i think she wanted to shatter a bit of the illusion + focus on the ways in which INFJs have deeply human, less-than-noble flaws just like any other type.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
i don't think it was meant to cover all the bases/do a run-down on everything INFJ IS. i think it was mainly a response to the INFJ 'special snowflake rare special type' thing she was seeing a lot of online. INFJs are very idealized in MBTI communities and i think she wanted to shatter a bit of the illusion + explore the ways in which the type is perhaps not ideal.

You are walking on lightwaves

unsomething

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w3
it was mainly a response to the INFJ 'rare special morally unparalleled type' thing she was seeing a lot of online. INFJs are very idealized in MBTI communities, almost precluded from criticism, and i think she wanted to shatter a bit of the illusion + focus on the ways in which INFJs have deeply human, less-than-noble flaws just like any other type.
Maybe it was uninspired then. I just feel like there is way more to be critical about than what was touched on. If the saintly image is in the way then start with enfp, who infjs are a lot like on the inside. Deep down we can be immature, selectively aloof/hot and cold, prone to spells of all kinds, needy (but we won't express our needs.... it's not that we expect people to just know like an NFP but we still on some level resent them for not knowing, which Fe can't express directly and that is toxic)

Instead of bottling up feelings, we bottle up thought processes and beliefs and get stuck in this indirect interpersonal style. That's why when stressed we become potentially mean, arrogant and controlling. But even when not stressed there are naturally going to be manipulative overtures. I don't think that's due to dismissing other viewpoints so much as having more of the picture hidden from view and having more to think about. The sentiment does get through though.

Anyway yeah, there's my thoughts, hope that could give some insight but if not that's OK too. :)

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
There's no need to deride INFJs around here for their special snowflake status; that image has long since been shattered.
:beathorse:

Aspects of the article are of some interest, but there are also some things that don't seem to make sense.

Why is it that INFJs fail in the anniversary party analogy due to lacking in Ti and Se, and yet INFPs are said to have more practicality due to their Si/Te tertiary/inferior combo? Why would the 3rd and 4th functions be a blind-spot for INFJs, yet an asset for INFPs? This makes little sense unless the article genuinely means to suggest that INFJs are worse than other types at integrating their functions effectively.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
How is that horse still solid?! If it won't turn to hamburger meat by now, you'd think after this much time it'd just pull a dead sperm whale and pop!
But it's just starting to get super tender!

Unfortunately though, it's too decomposed to be of much use any more. It's not even suitable for dog meat.

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's no need to deride INFJs around here for their special snowflake status; that image has long since been shattered.
:beathorse:

Aspects of the article are of some interest, but there are also some things that don't seem to make sense.

Why is it that INFJs fail in the anniversary party analogy due to lacking in Ti and Se, and yet INFPs are said to have more practicality due to their Si/Te tertiary/inferior combo? Why would the 3rd and 4th functions be a blind-spot for INFJs, yet an asset for INFPs? This makes little sense unless the article genuinely means to suggest that INFJs are worse than other types at integrating their functions effectively.

well, i'm new here. in other places online (youtube) (reddit) INFJs write long, vicious rants against INFPs and THAT'S getting old. literally if anyone mentions INFP it just turns into a shitshow + in these relationships, INFJs are the saints and INFPs are the selfish fuckups. you get this same dichotomy with other types' perceptions of the two. i guess individuals post so consistently on typologycentral that everything has run its course. not on other parts of the internetz, mind you.

idk why she mentioned INFPs. probably because she noticed that we're seen as the ineffective, lazy, lousy cousins of the INFJ on most parts of the MBTI internet? probably just wanted to focus a little on INFJ faults, since they seem to be brushed over or distilled to 'we just care too much!' in most places.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
well, i'm new here.
Fair enough. It's just that we're all getting so worn out with this stuff. :D That isn't your fault, by any means.

in other places online (youtube) (reddit) INFJs write long, vicious rants against INFPs and THAT'S getting old. literally if anyone mentions INFP it just turns into a shitshow + in these relationships, INFJs are the saints and INFPs are the selfish fuckups. you get this same dichotomy with other types' perceptions of the two. i guess individuals post so consistently on typologycentral that everything has run its course. not on other parts of the internetz, mind you.

idk why she mentioned INFPs. probably because she noticed that we're seen as the ineffective, lazy, lousy cousins of the INFJ on most parts of the MBTI internet? probably just wanted to focus a little on INFJ faults, since they seem to be brushed over or distilled to 'we just care too much!' in most places.
Yeah, that stuff isn't really OK anywhere. However, TC doesn't exist in the same wild west environment as a lot of the other MBTI sites and places of discussion. Discussions are more rational and in-depth, and people are a lot more reasonable and mature. There's also less acceptance of that sort of silly prejudiced ranting.

But trust me, if any type gets raked across the coals around here it's the INFJs, so it's not necessary to come in here ready for a fight. We have had a lot of heated discussions over the last 18 months or so about the type and it's failings, which often descends into INFJs vs INFPs. We have all learnt a lot about each other from it, but as a polite warning, I really don't want you to come in with the attitude that somehow INFPs are the underdogs. This may be the case elsewhere but not here.

If you want are feeling brave, I can link you to some of these INFJ vs. INFP threads, so you can get an idea about what has gone on.

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fair enough. It's just that we're all getting so worn out with this stuff. :D That isn't your fault, by any means.

Yeah, that stuff isn't really OK anywhere. However, TC doesn't exist in the same wild west environment as a lot of the other MBTI sites and places of discussion. Discussions are more rational and in-depth, and people are a lot more reasonable and mature. There's also less acceptance of that sort of silly prejudiced ranting.

But trust me, if any type gets raked across the coals around here it's the INFJs, so it's not necessary to come in here ready for a fight. We have had a lot of heated discussions over the last 18 months or so about the type and it's failings, which often descends into INFJs vs INFPs. We have all learnt a lot about each other from it, but as a polite warning, I really don't want you to come in with the attitude that somehow INFPs are the underdogs. This may be the case elsewhere but not here.

If you want are feeling brave, I can link you to some of these INFJ vs. INFP threads, so you can get an idea about what has gone on.

yeah, i imagine INFJs face a bit of backlash. i've read a few of the threads (maybe not the most intense ones) + didn't really get the impression INFJs were getting 'raked over the coals,' more like, people were trying to dismantle this INFJ myth of infallibility that developed in MBTI online communities.

i wasn't trying to start an INFP/INFJ brawl or anything, LOL. a lot of INFJs responded positively to this article on reddit and i thought i'd share.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
yeah, i imagine INFJs face a bit of backlash. i've read a few of the threads (maybe not the most intense ones) + didn't really get the impression INFJs were getting 'raked over the coals,' more like, people were trying to dismantle this INFJ myth of infallibility that developed in MBTI online communities.
I was (partly) being flippant. However, there's a point where the "dismantling" becomes indistinguishable from a chorus of criticism.

i wasn't trying to start an INFP/INFJ brawl or anything, LOL. a lot of INFJs responded positively to this article on reddit and i thought i'd share. no biggie.
I realise that. It's just that it can develop into that inadvertently. Like I said, the article has its insights (and some flaws) that are worth discussing. I don't mean to derail - only to let you know what atmosphere this thread is part of.

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was (partly) being flippant. However, there's a point where the "dismantling" becomes indistinguishable from a chorus of criticism.

I realise that. It's just that it can develop into that inadvertently. Like I said, the article has its insights (and some flaws) that are worth discussing. I don't mean to derail - only to let you know what atmosphere this thread is part of.

has there really been a 'chorus of criticism' against INFJs? i've seen a few threads with some louder voices, but nothing like the vitriolic crap i've seen again and again against INFPs on all MBTI forums by different types. i suppose it creates a toxic environment nonetheless.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
has there really been a 'chorus of criticism' against INFJs? i've seen a few threads with some louder voices, but nothing like the vitriolic crap i've seen again and again against INFPs on all MBTI forums by different types. i suppose it creates a toxic environment nonetheless.
Like I said, this forum isn't as bad as those other ones out there. And the voices aren't so loud and vitriolic, as they are repetitive and constant. I admit to being one of those voices, but because I found the discussion interesting and valuable, not because I think INFJs are the spawn of satan or anything. ;)

My point is that the criticisms may be fair, but the sheer amount of criticism is disproportionate. I'm just getting to the point where I think we have to move forward from that place. :)

If you aren't worn out yet, try reading this thread from end to end - that was the longest, most intense, and most revealing debate about the divide between INFPs and INFJs (it take a few pages before it starts to kick into gear). If if that doesn't do the trick, there were other lengthy threads that preceded and followed that one. :D

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Like I said, this forum isn't as bad as those other ones out there. And the voices aren't so loud and vitriolic, as they are repetitive and constant. I admit to being one of those voices, but because I found the discussion interesting and valuable, not because I think INFJs are the spawn of satan or anything. ;)

My point is that the criticisms may be fair, but the sheer amount of criticism is disproportionate. I'm just getting to the point where I think we have to move forward from that place. :)

If you aren't worn out yet, try reading this thread from end to end - that was the longest, most intense, and most revealing debate about the divide between INFPs and INFJs (it take a few pages before it starts to kick into gear). If if that doesn't do the trick, there were other lengthy threads that preceded and followed that one. :D

if only INFJs on other corners of the internet were so kind to INFPs w regard to constant criticism.

unsomething

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w3

Wow sorry to have joined in the dead horse beating... that's incredible(y bad.) But for the record INFPs are my fav <3 <333 love you guys even if it's unrequited. :)

oneandonly

MBTI Type
INFJ
I just think we're secretly (or not so secretly) in love with eachother
All of the opposite functions right? so we complete eachother <3

At least I love you anyway..

well, i'm new here. in other places online (youtube) (reddit) INFJs write long, vicious rants against INFPs and THAT'S getting old. literally if anyone mentions INFP it just turns into a shitshow + in these relationships, INFJs are the saints and INFPs are the selfish fuckups. you get this same dichotomy with other types' perceptions of the two. i guess individuals post so consistently on typologycentral that everything has run its course. not on other parts of the internetz, mind you.