• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What do INFPs think of INTJs?

Usehername

On a mission
One of my closest (male) friends and my little bro are both INFP.

I sometimes wonder what they think of me; I love them both to death and we have the most intriguing and deep conversations.

But sometimes, do I come across as a cold-hearted bitch to them? I think they both know that I have the best of intentions all the time... but I just don't approach life from the same vantage.

Do I hurt them with (unintentional) careless words sometimes? I verbally express to both of them how much I care for them and how unique and special etc. they are, but do I hurt them sometimes when I make lack-of-feeling judgments/statements/observations etc?

I've been wondering that for a while.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it's wonderful that you're considering the impact of your words on them, that shows some real sensitivity and real concern over those relationships.

Is it possible for you to ask them? We would have no idea what these two INFPs were feeling, honestly. If I had to guess, based on type dynamics, yes, I'm sure that sometimes your approach DOES hurt them with careless words and all of those things.

Seriously, all of us hurt each other -- regardless of type -- with careless words and misunderstanding. All relationships include moments of friction (some longer than others). The key to whether the relationship is good is how the friction is resolved, whether people are concerned, whether they reaffirm their commitment in the face of potential friction, and all of that -- in other words, it is not about how perfect you can be or how you can avoid hurting them, but that they believe your intentions are good even when you do hurt them and that you try hard to connect with them and make amends as necessary to keep communication and commitment strong.

I would actually ask them, in as gentle a way as possible, and tell them sometimes you are concerned that you inadvertently hurt them just because of who you are and your natural approach, and that it's not your intention, and you don't want anything to come between you, etc... If they are INFP, no doubt if you give them a gentle opening, they will take advantage of it to reaffirm the relationship and patch things up. You will probably have to "read between the lines" a little because INFPs usually refrain from outright/direct challenges unless stirred up, and they will be picking their words very carefully.

But to me, this seems more like something you can actively resolve by interacting with them, rather than resolving it intellectually by yourself.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
My daughters are INTJ and INFP. They get along pretty well. The INFP accepts the INTJ as she is and admires her. The INTJ is a bit cold, but in a way the INFP can admire. The INTJ thinks that her sister is not an idiot and admires how well she draws. They're into the same kinds of fanfic.

In the case of my INFP daughter, if somebody close, including her sister, hurts her, they won't have to wonder about it for long because she will react emotionally pretty quickly. She may hide her feelings from the general public, but she does not hide them from people in her inner circle.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
Do I hurt them with (unintentional) careless words sometimes? I verbally express to both of them how much I care for them and how unique and special etc. they are, but do I hurt them sometimes when I make lack-of-feeling judgments/statements/observations etc?

Yes, you do. Because no matter how much you tell them that you care about them, they still want more. And when you're acting in a normal non-expressive manner, they'll ask, "Are you mad at me?" Then suddenly they'll retreat for no apparent reason and start brooding in a corner. They'll deny that it has anything to do with you, but don't worry, it does.

They can be some of the most needy and insecure creatures that one will ever meet.

/rant

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, you do. Because no matter how much you tell them that you care about them, they still want more. And when you're acting in a normal non-expressive manner, they'll ask, "Are you mad at me?" Then suddenly they'll retreat for no apparent reason and start brooding in a corner. They'll deny that it has anything to do with you, but don't worry, it does.

They can be some of the most needy and insecure creatures that one will ever meet.

/rant
At least now we know what INTJ's think of INFPs. :eek:

Based on that, whatever the reverse feeling is... it can't be good. :doh:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
At least now we know what INTJ's think of INFPs. Based on that, whatever the reverse feeling is... it can't be good.

agl_ihateinfps_tn.jpg

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
At least now we know what INTJ's think of INFPs.
I call converse accident.

My IxFP friend is married to a remarkably composed fellow who tested as INTJ. Though she finds him too cut-and-dried at times, she admires his professional and personal confidence -- which was thrust into sharp relief during a time when the two of them worked for the same company.

She once called me a "pompous git," upon which I look back and smile.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
INFPs tend to react very badly to criticism. Very badly. Possibly (going out on a limb here) worse than any other type. Other than that flaw I think you should be fine. Admittedly it is a pretty bloody big flaw.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFPs tend to react very badly to criticism. Very badly. Possibly (going out on a limb here) worse than any other type. Other than that flaw I think you should be fine. Admittedly it is a pretty bloody big flaw.
Why is that? Does it have to do with personalizing the criticism? Some criticism is a show of great respect and affection.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why is that? Does it have to do with personalizing the criticism? Some criticism is a show of great respect and affection.

Yes. You did know JJJ you are being a yellow-bellied, weak-livered quivering puddle of metaphysical jello? And you should stick up for yourself more?

(Just saying it cause... I like ya!)

poke

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Yes. You did know JJJ you are being a yellow-bellied, weak-livered quivering puddle of metaphysical jello? And you should stick up for yourself more?

(Just saying it cause... I like ya!)

I apologize for my etc etc. ;)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm sorry if I etc etc.

(and now I know your buttons)

You know, it's hard to fight with a passive-aggressive who refuses to move on to the second part!

I'm sorry, my interest in this experiment is purely clinical and not personal.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
You know, it's hard to fight with a passive-aggressive who refuses to move on to the second part!

I'm sorry, my interest in this experiment is purely clinical and not personal.

Give me something to argue about. I can argue. I can be intractable. But it has to be something I care about (care in the non-feely sense of the word). Because I'm looking at my belly right now, and although it is quite pasty, it is certainly not yellow. As for my liver, it's doing pretty well considering.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
quivering puddle of metaphysical jello?
Sounds like a compliment to me.

I intellectually acknowledge that this can be the case.
Experience can play a role in it as well. My long-term mentor of 12+ years in my primary area of creativity shaped my view of criticism because I could always sense his respect for me. There was never an emotional context, but taking the time to critique someone's efforts is how one communicates that the skill worth cultivating. Criticism can be the same process of nurture that a gardener takes with his plants, cutting away the dead leaves and weeds, adding soil and sunlight, so that the plant can grow into what it ideally is in and of itself. There is a certain respect of boundary that is felt in this type of criticism. It is the highest expression of respect I have experienced.

edit: It's because they can see some aspect of who you 'could' be, that you cannot see yet. By revealing short-term flaws we cannot see, the mentor reveals long-term abilities we couldn't foresee.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Experience can play a role in it as well. My long-term mentor of 12+ years in my primary area of creativity shaped my view of criticism because I could always sense his respect for me. There was never an emotional context, but taking the time to critique someone's efforts is how one communicates that the skill worth cultivating. Criticism can be the same process of nurture that a gardener takes with his plants, cutting away the dead leaves and weeds, adding soil and sunlight, so that the plant can grow into what it ideally is in and of itself. There is a certain respect of boundary that is felt in this type of criticism. It is the highest expression of respect I have experienced.

I suspect INFPs deal so badly with criticism partly because we hate disappointing people, especially people we're close to. We should be used to it, because we often do it thanks to our vagueness with deadlines and other practical matters. It's kind of hard to say how much is INFP and how much is just me. I know that I have a fairly strong sense of inadequacy when it comes to practical areas, so I'm well aware of my shortfalls in that regard. Sometimes when people criticize me in an ongoing way (ie actually trying to bring about change rather than just registering disapproval) I can overreact (eventually) out of my own sense of frustration with myself.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But it has to be something I care about...

I suspect INFPs deal so badly with criticism partly because we hate disappointing people, especially people we're close to. We should be used to it, because we often do it thanks to our vagueness with deadlines and other practical matters. It's kind of hard to say how much is INFP and how much is just me. I know that I have a fairly strong sense of inadequacy when it comes to practical areas, so I'm well aware of my shortfalls in that regard. Sometimes when people criticize me in an ongoing way (ie actually trying to bring about change rather than just registering disapproval) I can overreact (eventually) out of my own sense of frustration with myself.

You're an inadequate and disappointing mass of unmet deadlines and expectations who really needs someone to change you!

*poke*

[peeks through fingers to see reaction]