• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Profile of the Prophetic person = INFJ?

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I found this thread interesting, though I could tell by just reading the title it was not going to go over well with other people. I would have to admit to relating to most of the description provided in the first post. I'm not going to say much else because this part of me is kind of personal. I'm sure those who lack a sense of the spiritual side of life will snicker and criticize, so I'm just going to give a thumbs up and walk away.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The quest often consumes so much of our awareness that we seem disconnected, even aloof, from other people. Life seems to hold a different set of meanings for us than for regular folk.

Because of this lack of things to hold in common, people sometimes have trouble relating to us as friends and peers... can enforce a profound sense of loneliness and isolation. Normal folk do not know how to relate.

I can relate to these parts especially.

I have not had anything nearly "prophetic". But I have had dreams that weeks later have materialized as deja vu.

Whether or not I'm merely experiencing deja vu that makes me feel like, "Wait! I've seen this before!" or if it really is something I did actually dream before, I don't know.

But it is unreal when it happens. Like a roller coaster almost.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I can relate to these parts especially.

I have not had anything nearly "prophetic". But I have had dreams that weeks later have materialized as deja vu.

Whether or not I'm merely experiencing deja vu that makes me feel like, "Wait! I've seen this before!" or if it really is something I did actually dream before, I don't know.

But it is unreal when it happens. Like a roller coaster almost.

I get that kind of deja vu often. When it happens, I only vaguely remember it as a dream that I previously had. It makes me think I should start keeping some sort of dream diary, but that's always the last thing on my mind when I wake up.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Within the context of God's pathos, the two cannot be seperated. Your attitude towards your fellow man is a reflection of your attitude towards God. Love God and Love thy neighbor. In fact that's a major message of the prophet: the lack of concern for others(especially the poor) is leading to an ultimate lack of love for God.

Yes, the two can be separated. When your attitude towards your fellow man is contingent on your attitude towards God, Fi is more likely than Fe. When your attitude towards your fellow man is independent of your attitude towards God, Fe is more likely than Fi. The major message of the prophet is God's message (assuming His existence), in which case the content of the message is more a reflection of God's personality rather than the prophet's.

Largely because they weren't of his tribe, and for this he was rebuked by god.

Which doesn't change the fact that his motive in delivering the message was not concern for the people but rather concern for (or fear of) God. Likewise Moses didn't demand that Pharoah set the Israelites free out of concern for the Israelites. He did it because God told him to. There's no indication that Moses wouldn't have lived happily indifferent to the plight of the Israelites, tending his sheep, if God hadn't intervened.

Ok but the prophet's vocation is often seen as a burden not a blessing, and they often have significant problems dealing with their situation. One prophet even went as far as begging God to not to choose him to be so.

The life of a prophet was pretty harsh. Some people (eg Moses) were deterred by public speaking. Others were deterred by fear of death. I don't think feeling burdened by the vocation is a valid way of splitting Fe/Fi.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
How do you figure that?

If somebody is not receiving insight from any divine source and yet believes it is so and that it is their burden to spread the message to the people, well, that would be a delusion, and it would be of grandeur, to think they were selected by some divine power.

Doesn't automatically make the message not good, but eh.

S

Sniffles

I found this thread interesting, though I could tell by just reading the title it was not going to go over well with other people. I would have to admit to relating to most of the description provided in the first post. I'm not going to say much else because this part of me is kind of personal. I'm sure those who lack a sense of the spiritual side of life will snicker and criticize, so I'm just going to give a thumbs up and walk away.

Well I'm just expanding on a common theme that's constantly mentioned in regards to the INFJ type - comparing them to Biblical prophets. This is actually what sparked my interest in the Prophets further.

Of course I'll repeat that the author of the OP makes a strong distinction between merely being "prophetic" and being an actual "Prophet". Long story short: the latter is actually chosen by God to be be his messenger. The former largely has traits comparable to those of the latter.

And he urges "prophetic" people to refer to themselves with great humility and not go around boasting of how God has chosen them. That's a major sign of False prophets.

It should be mentioned that the author does not claim prophetic people are somekind of master race who should rule the world, or even that they're more spiritual than others. They're just spiritual in a different & unique way.

Just like the little girl who sees the Virgin Mary is not necessarily more spiritual than the old woman who prays devoutly everyday. They're both spiritual in their own unique ways. Heschel also makes this point: arguing that the prophet is one type of spiritual figure among many - like the mystic, oracle, yogi, etc.

With that in mind, Im not arguing INFJs are closer to God or whatnot. At best I'm saying there's validity to the common claim INFJs can relate more to the Prophet more than to other spiritual figures.

Just like Im sure other MBTI types can relate more to other spiritual figures.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I get that kind of deja vu often. When it happens, I only vaguely remember it as a dream that I previously had. It makes me think I should start keeping some sort of dream diary, but that's always the last thing on my mind when I wake up.

It's pretty uncanny, isn't it?

When I having the deja vu I'll be very aware that it's happening. I feel like things are happening a millisecond after I remember what's going to happen.

Then there are other times where I'm dreaming. Maybe it's a dream that I've already seen before, but it'll feel like deja vu. At those times, however, things never happen the way I think they're going to happen.

I've also thought about keeping a dream diary. Lately though I've been writing about what consumes my thought life. Maybe when I resolve those issues...

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Listen, I think that any N type would/will be more prone to being insightful, seemingly "psychic" and "prophetic", but not "prophetic" in the divine sense but rather in the wise/intelligent sense where one is able to "see" or predict the future because they are incredibly perceptive of complex patterns within a dynamic system and hence are able to infer from present-day variables, future outcomes.

"Prophets" freak the shit out of me, and they are always selling something, sadly, genuine psychics, scientists, and intuitives, however, don't.

If there were a God, surely he/she/it would not be like, "hmm, I created people and MBTI theory so I can exclusively talk to INFJs, so they in turn can talk to the "other" people for me".

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hmm. I experience deja vu quite often, but I thought that was due to faulty brain wiring rather than any sort of spiritual experience. You know, certain forms of epilepsy are associated with it.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Jeffy, we love you, but I think I speak for most INTJs when I say we don't really want to be a part of this discussion.

Fair enough. No more INTJ mentions. And don't call me Jeffy. :doh:

Quite frankly that's your problem not mine. I posted the relevant excerpts.

Pleasant chap, aren't you? :yes: Don't like people disagreeing with you?

How would they be power-hungry? One major prophetic theme is the ultimate futility of earthly power.

Yeah, advocating instead spiritual power. As determined by them. Hrmm. "Your kings are leading you astray! Listen to me instead!" No power there.

gokartride

MBTI Type
INFJ
not "prophetic" in the divine sense but rather in the wise/intelligent sense where one is able to "see" or predict the future because they are incredibly perceptive of complex patterns within a dynamic system and hence are able to infer from present-day variables, future outcomes.
Well said!! :yes:

Being prophetic is one thing...if you're too far out ahead, though, you may wind up being a martyr. Yikes!!

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
If there were a God, surely he/she/it would not be like, "hmm, I created people and MBTI theory so I can exclusively talk to INFJs, so they in turn can talk to the "other" people for me".

I don't think anyone said that prophets were exclusively INFJ. The thread was meant to discuss if the INFJ description fit the description of a prophet that was provided (most likely as a "just for fun" thread).

The MBTI can predict jobs that you would be naturally suited for just by knowing your type. In fact, that was its original purpose. I don't think it is a far fetched idea to think that INFJs are naturally inclined.

I think the problem with this topic is that it can be mistaken as glorifying INFJs.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Hmm. I experience deja vu quite often, but I thought that was due to faulty brain wiring rather than any sort of spiritual experience. You know, certain forms of epilepsy are associated with it.
Apparently there is a "God Spot" in the brain too.

I wager that Pascal suffered from an epileptic seizure which then led him to pursue and believe in a "God".

New Page 2

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I don't think anyone said that prophets were exclusively INFJ. The thread was meant to discuss if the INFJ description fit the description of a prophet that was provided (most likely as a "just for fun" thread).

The MBTI can predict jobs that you would be naturally suited for just by knowing your type. In fact, that was its original purpose. I don't think it is a far fetched idea to think that INFJs are naturally inclined.

I think the problem with this topic is that it can be mistaken as glorifying INFJs.
Define prophet, please.