• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Do you feel it?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think every NF feels it in one way or another.

As far as science is concerned, I think it has great potential as well (although it's not the solution to every single thing and needs to be balanced with other approaches). Now, maybe some NFs will judge me for this, but I believe it will be possible for us to extend our lifespans indefinitely with the help of science, and that we're only decades away from this. I support transhumanist ideas for this reason.

It is a great concept that I hope unfolds!

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I asked my ESTJ 1w2 mother about this and she has no concept of these feelings, and says these feelings are things I should get rid of. My question is, have any of you felt this, or am I just weird? Why can my mother not relate? Could this be more to do with Ne or Fi?

One goal you might want to consider setting for yourself is to make some friends. Some like minded friends.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Aw, I feel it too! I love it. I love soft green squishy moss, and the smell after the rain. I love the night sky and the ribbons of color at sunset. I love seeing deer leap by and petting the cat while he hums his low purr. I love the feeling of a plane during takeoff and the exhilaration of taking a corner in a manual. I love traveling to places I've never seen and revisiting my favorites again and again.

I do love and respect science for helping uncover it and understand it, though I think science does have to gently be kept in check, as well.

Have you ever tried to talk to your mom about this stuff in a less... Like... Spiritual way? My ESTJ friend has a great appreciation for the beauty of nature. I don't know if it gives her quite the feels I get from it, but she's not shut off from this stuff, either.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Aw, I feel it too! I love it. I love soft green squishy moss, and the smell after the rain. I love the night sky and the ribbons of color at sunset. I love seeing deer leap by and petting the cat while he hums his low purr. I love the feeling of a plane during takeoff and the exhilaration of taking a corner in a manual. I love traveling to places I've never seen and revisiting my favorites again and again.

I do love and respect science for helping uncover it and understand it, though I think science does have to gently be kept in check, as well.

Have you ever tried to talk to your mom about this stuff in a less... Like... Spiritual way? My ESTJ friend has a great appreciation for the beauty of nature. I don't know if it gives her quite the feels I get from it, but she's not shut off from this stuff, either.
When we went to the grand canyon a few years ago, we went off the trail to eat some home-made ham and cheese sandwiches while we dangled our feet off the edge of a red oblivion. It was my mother's idea to have this picnic, and I remember at some point she said "Isn't it nice, eating a sandwich on the canyon wall? How many people get to do that?"

I think she was feeling something.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
When we went to the grand canyon a few years ago, we went off the trail to eat some home-made ham and cheese sandwiches while we dangled our feet off the edge of a red oblivion. It was my mother's idea to have this picnic, and I remember at some point she said "Isn't it nice, eating a sandwich on the canyon wall? How many people get to do that?"

Sounds like it :)

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Is that all she said?

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I asked my ESTJ 1w2 mother about this and she has no concept of these feelings, and says these feelings are things I should get rid of. My question is, have any of you felt this, or am I just weird? Why can my mother not relate? Could this be more to do with Ne or Fi?

I dunno, everyone has dreams, aspiration, and curiosity about the world. I know my bro4lyfe [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] (the go-to ESTJ 1w2 of TypeC) definitely has an affinity for nature, enjoys appreciating the beauty of the simple things in life, etc - that's what I've gathered from her posts and her profile anyway. I think the difference is that for different types there are times and places for everything, and an ESTJ 1w2 mother may want her child to be spending more time preparing for what the world is going to throw at him instead of gazing with a childlike wonder at everything in the room.

But everyone has those moments where they want to look at the world and just take it all in. You're not weird at all, you probably just want to do this more than some people would which can be both a good and a bad thing.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I dunno, everyone has dreams, aspiration, and curiosity about the world. I know my bro4lyfe [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] (the go-to ESTJ 1w2 of TypeC) definitely has an affinity for nature, enjoys appreciating the beauty of the simple things in life, etc - that's what I've gathered from her posts and her profile anyway. I think the difference is that for different types there are times and places for everything, and an ESTJ 1w2 mother may want her child to be spending more time preparing for what the world is going to throw at him instead of gazing with a childlike wonder at everything in the room.

But everyone has those moments where they want to look at the world and just take it all in. You're not weird at all, you probably just want to do this more than some people would which can be both a good and a bad thing.
^ Chanaynay gets it right as per usual :smile:

In fairness, while I do get that sense of childlike enjoyment out of things, and I do try to enjoy life's simple pleasures, my capacity for that is limited. I can give myself a moment to savor it, but that's just about all I can muster before I'm ready to move on. So [MENTION=18694]Magic Qwan[/MENTION], I do understand your mom's tendency to be impatient with it. However, I don't understand why she would want to erase it altogether. Even if I can't savor it like NFs can -- especially NFPs -- I feel like my life would be sad and colorless without it.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ Chanaynay gets it right as per usual :smile:

In fairness, while I do get that sense of childlike enjoyment out of things, and I do try to enjoy life's simple pleasures, my capacity for that is limited. I can give myself a moment to savor it, but that's just about all I can muster before I'm ready to move on. So [MENTION=18694]Magic Qwan[/MENTION], I do understand your mom's tendency to be impatient with it. However, I don't understand why she would want to erase it altogether. Even if I can't savor it like NFs can -- especially NFPs -- I feel like my life would be sad and colorless without it.
She says it is an excuse to be lazy and makes no money. It wastes time. Granted, I would gladly trade a little of that wonder for some more "common sense," which dozens of people tell me I lack, and some practicality. It is really, really easy to slip into this deeply romantisized mindset and it isn't always appropriate timing. The feelings are usually either extremely positive or negative. It is largely random anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

I understand.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
She says it is an excuse to be lazy and makes no money. It wastes time.
Okay she's clearly referring to something more specific, because she has the exact same sense of wonder that I do.

See below:

Is that all she said?
Yes, and it was one of the most emotional things I ever heard her say.
This is a PERFECT example of the short-and-sweet moments that I was talking about before. I had to hold back an "aww" when I was reading it.

Anyway. Point is that I think that either you misunderstood her, in the "wasting time" interaction, or she wasn't being clear with you.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I also would have read the "sandwich" thing as an expression of wonder from someone with that personality style and connected with it that way... but I do express myself far differently.

My dad (ESTP) was not very big on articulating transcendent moments either; I could recognize that he was feeling something mainly because of how he would sit there with opera blasting (heedless of how loud it was for everyone else) and lose himself in it, as an example. If I would have expected him to put it all into words, I would have been horribly disappointed.

I am very curious about the world. I often feel a sense of childlike wonder at things most people take for granted. I stare at the night sky with deep awe in all of its beauty and mystery, knowing that someday we may be citizens of the stars and be witness to extraordinary sights, and possibilities beyond our wildest dreams. Even seeing the changing of the leaves every fall and the new blooms in the spring or a magnificent sunset has inspired many of my poems. The progress mankind has made takes me aback many times a day. To see an airplane soar overhead or learn of a new discovery rises my spirits greatly, as does seeing just how greatly medicine has improved our lives over the last 200 years. Someday, science will save us all from every woe that has ever plagued mankind.

I cried last night while watching Cosmos 2014 on TV. :blush:
... I realize that anyone seeing that might have thought me a complete freak, but I didn't really care.

Natural stuff just blows through my defenses and I get caught up on transcendent waves. I wish I could just hurl myself at the sky and lose myself. Melding in and merging with nature would not be a bad thing.

There really is just a sense of wonder and curiosity there as soon as I go out in the world and observe, all this stuff that is interacting with each other... and the limitless possibility and yet an understanding that on some level it all makes sense even if I can't quite yet see it.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I also would have read the "sandwich" thing as an expression of wonder from someone with that personality style and connected with it that way... but I do express myself far differently.

My dad (ESTP) was not very big on articulating transcendent moments either; I could recognize that he was feeling something mainly because of how he would sit there with opera blasting (heedless of how loud it was for everyone else) and lose himself in it, as an example. If I would have expected him to put it all into words, I would have been horribly disappointed.

I cried last night while watching Cosmos 2014 on TV. :blush:
... I realize that anyone seeing that might have thought me a complete freak, but I didn't really care.

Natural stuff just blows through my defenses and I get caught up on transcendent waves. I wish I could just hurl myself at the sky and lose myself. Melding in and merging with nature would not be a bad thing.

There really is just a sense of wonder and curiosity there as soon as I go out in the world and observe, all this stuff that is interacting with each other... and the limitless possibility and yet an understanding that on some level it all makes sense even if I can't quite yet see it.

I feel the same way about Cosmos. Neil Degrasse Tyson really outdid himself.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
this thread is making me crave a good sandwich

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
About a month late, but yes, I feel it too.

Not everyone will understand that feeling, and that's fine. But if they pompously tell you that you should get rid of these things that you feel so connected to, they can fuck riiiiiiight off.