• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] sensory overload, overload

Feline

Hi fellow NFs,

Question is, out of curiosity, how many of you experience sensory overload on a regular basis?

Is that automatic for our types?

á´…eparted

passages
Seldom to never. If I do I can usually get myself over it, or simply move myself out of the situation and it goes away.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I often do, although it was worse when I was younger. I also have problems with certain smells, usually, although sometimes things like colors too that push me viscerally into memories/behaviour associated with past situations.

Bullet

Hi fellow NFs,

Question is, out of curiosity, how many of you experience sensory overload on a regular basis?

Is that automatic for our types?

Could you elaborate on what you mean by sensory overload? It sounds similar to Sensory Processing Sensitivity. I tend to have this. Too much environmental stimuli can be overwhelming, loud noises really bother me, and I get uncomfortably hot and cold easily.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I get in a tailspin, but it's usually idea/direction overload. I get to doing too many things or thinking in too many different directions and wind up overwhelmed and need a break.

Feline

Could you elaborate on what you mean by sensory overload? It sounds similar to Sensory Processing Sensitivity. I tend to have this. Too much environmental stimuli can be overwhelming, loud noises really bother me, and I get uncomfortably hot and cold easily.

Say I am trying to have a conversation with my husband and want to formulate an idea. But it just so happens that the room is full of visual mess (like toys, clothes, dishes, etc), and my daughter comes in, pushes me, and sings at the top of her voice. I am dangerous then. I could almost punch my daughter. (I wouldn't actually do it, but I could push her with force). Sometimes if she is blocking my way and I am trying to get some things done, I find my patience is really tested. That's probably the extreme version.

To a lesser extent, I would almost always get things done better, if I were wearing a noise-blocking device. Sometimes, I like to simply close my eyes, to feel the comfort of no sensory input.

Feline

It sounds similar to Sensory Processing Sensitivity.

I looked up this term and especially the visual/auditory stimuli cause overstimulation (I almost need a nap). My startle tendency is something one friend used to love taking advantage of by sneaking up from random directions. I tend to want a blanket to weigh down on me comfortably. Visual chaos has to be at a minimum. That affects me more than I like to admit. Basically, if I wake up in the morning, walk into the living room and find a visual mess, I lose a lot of energy and can feel a kind of violence inside me. If two people try to talk to me at the same time (for example in a family situation), then I feel physically violent inside (I want to use force to rectify the situation). Embarrassing at times. Am curious whether that feeling of violence inside is something anyone can relate to. I could seriously use a chill pill.

Feline

I get in a tailspin, but it's usually idea/direction overload. I get to doing too many things or thinking in too many different directions and wind up overwhelmed and need a break.

I relate to this too and it sounds just as tiring as sensory overload lol:) Do you just cease activity or meditate to quiet your brain? Do you sleep? What do you do to reach equilibrium again?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I relate to this too and it sounds just as tiring as sensory overload lol:) Do you just cease activity or meditate to quiet your brain? Do you sleep? What do you do to reach equilibrium again?

I try to get out. Go for a walk or get in my car or something. Physical activity and a fresh environment help me take a break from mental overactivity and kinda clear my slate.

Bullet

Say I am trying to have a conversation with my husband and want to formulate an idea. But it just so happens that the room is full of visual mess (like toys, clothes, dishes, etc), and my daughter comes in, pushes me, and sings at the top of her voice. I am dangerous then. I could almost punch my daughter. (I wouldn't actually do it, but I could push her with force). Sometimes if she is blocking my way and I am trying to get some things done, I find my patience is really tested. That's probably the extreme version.

To a lesser extent, I would almost always get things done better, if I were wearing a noise-blocking device. Sometimes, I like to simply close my eyes, to feel the comfort of no sensory input.

I looked up this term and especially the visual/auditory stimuli cause overstimulation (I almost need a nap). My startle tendency is something one friend used to love taking advantage of by sneaking up from random directions. I tend to want a blanket to weigh down on me comfortably. Visual chaos has to be at a minimum. That affects me more than I like to admit. Basically, if I wake up in the morning, walk into the living room and find a visual mess, I lose a lot of energy and can feel a kind of violence inside me. If two people try to talk to me at the same time (for example in a family situation), then I feel physically violent inside (I want to use force to rectify the situation). Embarrassing at times. Am curious whether that feeling of violence inside is something anyone can relate to. I could seriously use a chill pill.

Hmm...there are times at work when I have to exert great self-control not to do something that would get me fired or end up in jail. A reservoir of aggression lies underneath the surface that I try to keep contained. But that doesn't have anything to do with being sensitive to sensory stimuli as much as having low tolerance for assholes.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I enjoy loud music & bright lights & some hustle & bustle about me, provided I am not expected to participate much. Being able to sit back a bit & observe helps a lot in managing response to strong stimuli.

Due to mild seasonal allergies, I have a poor sense of smell & am not bothered by scents at all. I can also block a lot out when it comes to details... I miss many physical details easily, and some of it is out of necessity (block out or get overwhelmed, I guess). This gives me that characteristic INFP "dreamy" appearance where I float past things & don't see them.

However, strong atmospheric tones can affect me a lot. This will sound silly, but a very ugly environment will greatly affect my mood. If something is aesthetically "off" then it can aggravate me, but not like crooked pictures or anything like that; I mean more of an overall mood. I'm way more "vibey", processing things semi-unconciously, not alert to specifics, but I'm very affected by them nonetheless. It's hard to know what is bothering me sometimes, because I cannot always pinpoint something. I think it's more of an emotional sensitivity than a physical sensitivity to sensory stimuli.

I also get overwhelmed in certain crowds, especially ones where I am expected to participate. However, this can include just being in busy public places like the grocery store, where I may choose to shop during slow times or armed with headphones to block out stuff. At church, the sound of all the voices talking at once afterwards is very overwhelming, and I have a sort of instinctual "flight" response to leave ASAP.

It's really a matter of threshold, for which I think I may have a lower one than many people. I thought this was more about introversion than anything....

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I do. Both loud, unpredictable sounds and lots of people can be really overstimulating to me. I agree with what OA said about ugly environments too. That can be really draining.