• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What d'you lot do..?

OiEarthGirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Just in general. For a living maybe.

I've gone from studying english to psycology to philosophy to childcare and now I'm doing a course in media. Everytime I start one of these projects I feel like I've really found the perfect topic for me and that I'll be able to settle and will want to continue doing it for a living. But I've never managed to finish any of the courses I've started. I always quit halfway through to do something else.

This time though I really honestly think I want to stick to media. I've had the idea that I could make documentries. (good, funny ones not ones about sharks)
That way I've got something I can stick to and also get to learn about loads of the different things the documentries are about!

Or is this really unrealistic? I can never tell. My percentages were:
Extraverted 82% Intuitive 91% Feeling 100% Perceiving 100%

I'll admit their not always that high, but I always get 100% for perceiving!

Cheesus I don't even know what I'm asking for now. Basically does anyone else have his problem/ever had this problem? :blush:

OiEarthGirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
(Also feel free to move this if it doesn't go here. I wasn't sure)

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi
[nature nerd]What's wrong with sharks?! :thelook: :D[/nature nerd]

You remind me very much of my ESFJ mother. She, though she is a strong J, gets easily very, very bored in what she is doing. She always is also very, very excited every time she starts a new job (and she has started one quite a few times... :D) no matter how boring and dull it really is. I can't even count all the jobs she's been involved in (a tailor, a cleaner, a nurse, a child care worker, a factory worker, a sales clerk etc etc etc).
Now she is doing three jobs: she works as a private cleaner and domestic helper, she sometimes repairs clothes for a local printing press and, a few times a month, presents products in the bigger grocery stores around the country. (She has once again been planning to leave one of the jobs and start a new one. :doh:)
I suppose that she, as a strong extrovert (and an impulsive one), just needs a lot of action and variety to be happy. :yes:
(I have been thinking whether she would be an ESFP, but 1) she tests as an ESFJ and 2) she is very, very tidy and very, very conservative.)

But I'm going to study agriculture. I will graduate from high school the next year, and after that I will start slowly turning into an agrologist.
I will. :cool:

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
Well, I am studying Medicine now, but I am in your same boat. I get so bored with everything so easily, lets just say I have way too many programming classes under my built to be your typical doctor. Hobbies get picked up and dropped after about 3 months or so, maybe a little longer, but what can you do, we ENFP's are addicted to novelty. You will always need the new in your life, and without it, you will start to feel drained and bored.

Man how many hobbies I picked up over the years, I can do just about anything to impress friends but there is always someone who can do it better than me for sure, someone called us jack of all trades master of few...

OiEarthGirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Leysing
---

Haha, sharks are just lovely. Maybe I'll make a documentry about them especially for you. (Actually, quick interesting thought, I love animals and stuff but I find nature documentrys so boring! Wonder why that is...)

Anyway, the way you describe your mum sounds really like me! (except for the whole being tidy thing. I'm a right scatterbrain). Maybe the impulsiveness comes from being an EF? Just going for what feels right at the time.

I can do just about anything to impress friends but there is always someone who can do it better than me for sure, someone called us jack of all trades master of few...

Yessss! Never has a sentence described me better! Because I started so many different hobbies and projects theres a lot a can do and know about. But I can't actually do anything *properly*. Maybe just enough to do a little bit then blag my way through the rest. ;)

redacted

impulsiveness is definitely an EP trait.

i'm studying cognitive science at UC berkeley, which is basically a mixture of classes from six departments: psychology, philosophy, neurobiology, anthropology, computer science, and linguistics. it's awesome.

i haven't really gotten to "real life" yet, though. my parents help me with money and i'm on their insurance, etc. my idea at this point is to be some sort of clinical psychologist after getting a Psy. D. but who knows?

but that doesn't really help you much, as i'm an IJ :)

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi
Haha, sharks are just lovely. Maybe I'll make a documentry about them especially for you.
Ha-ha, I would greatly appreciate that! :laugh:

(Actually, quick interesting thought, I love animals and stuff but I find nature documentrys so boring! Wonder why that is...)
Hm, interesting. I love animals and nature documentaries. Maybe extroversion explains something... but I'm not an extrovert, so obviously I can't know for sure.

Anyway, the way you describe your mum sounds really like me! (except for the whole being tidy thing. I'm a right scatterbrain). Maybe the impulsiveness comes from being an EF? Just going for what feels right at the time.
Yes, might be. As an INFP, I'm a quite strong feeler, but I'm usually neither very active nor impulsive when it comes to acting in the surrounding world, affecting it and making decisions. (My deepest and most important interests make an exception.)

Introversion, however, causes me to direct my energy inward, and/so my mind is extremely vivid. My thoughts, feelings and imagination are racing wildly everywhere I am, what makes me a little detached from everything around me. Occasionally I've had to be awakened from my daydreams and musings by means of mild violence. :D

I could very well imagine myself running around wildly and being impulsive in my actions if a great deal of that energy would be directed outwards. :D (And, in fact, I greatly admire and enjoy that characteristic in ENFPs. :yes: It's often quite hard for me to just go and... do something!)

OiEarthGirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
but that doesn't really help you much, as i'm an IJ

Its still interesting to hear from you! I just love reading how different people word things and everything.
(Not that I wasn't paying attention to the content too coz thats equaly interesting)

I'm really interested in philosophy too! You should teach me about it sometime! :D

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I never decided besides being a stay-at-home mom. I've had majors in Biblical studies/children's ministry, history, and English. Right now I'm working part-time cleaning a department store. I guess if I go back to school for some kind of real career, I'll probably get the fastest BA I can get, probably liberal arts, then go for a masters in some kind of social sciences/social work area. dissonance's major sounds really great, actually.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just in general. For a living maybe.

I've gone from studying english to psycology to philosophy to childcare and now I'm doing a course in media. Everytime I start one of these projects I feel like I've really found the perfect topic for me and that I'll be able to settle and will want to continue doing it for a living. But I've never managed to finish any of the courses I've started. I always quit halfway through to do something else.

This time though I really honestly think I want to stick to media. I've had the idea that I could make documentries. (good, funny ones not ones about sharks)
That way I've got something I can stick to and also get to learn about loads of the different things the documentries are about!

Or is this really unrealistic? I can never tell. My percentages were:
Extraverted 82% Intuitive 91% Feeling 100% Perceiving 100%

I'll admit their not always that high, but I always get 100% for perceiving!

Cheesus I don't even know what I'm asking for now. Basically does anyone else have his problem/ever had this problem? :blush:

Okay, I totally used to have this problem before a professor of mine (thankfully) pushed my back to the wall, put a gun on my chest and said, "CHOOSE OR DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!" :2ar15:

Admittedly, he did not do it exactly like that, but it felt like that. And it was exactly what I needed. Usually my Te kicks as we say in German "One minute before twelve" (meaning at the last second). This was at a time when my E was 66%, N was like 88%, F was about 65%, and my P was about 66% - so my Ne was running OVERTIME!!!!!!!!! Granted, it might be easier for me now because my functions have balanced out over time, so I have developed the ability to stick with things a lot better.

Please do not get offended by my question - but are you young? I tend to find that our functions balance out more as we mature. What you need is a kick in the rear end to learn, and then that will prompt you to do some introspection and try to work on your weaknesses. At least that is what happened to me.

Now, I do not know how things are where you live, but even here in Germany, where things are really strict and really difficult due to bureaucracy (GAHHHHHHHHHH!), you can change your career or your job if you really do not like it, at least initially. If worse comes to worse and you really do not like your job (or if you decide you want to get additional qualifications for the hell of it like me) you can always take continuing education courses. In the States, my aunt changed her career, like, 5 times (she's an INFP). In Australia, my other aunt changed her career 3-4 times (I think she was ENTP, not sure though). And I have changed my career path three times, even in my short life (I'm 28 years old and got a PoliSci major, started teaching English, had a blip where I was a foreign language assistant - basically nothing more than a glorified secretary, although I thought I would be translating contracts and documents and interpreting meetings with travel and the like - before going back to teaching, which I LOVE; and now I am getting a three-year degree in translation just because I'm bored - well, I am not really BORED - I enjoy teaching: I mean I want to improve/develop/etc.). So DON'T WORRY!!!!!!!!! Pick something, and if it isn't your cup of tea, THEN you can change. But don't quit before you start. Okay?

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I . . . uh . . . manage projects :blush: I like the whip-cracking part of it most :devil:

OiEarthGirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Please do not get offended by my question - but are you young? I tend to find that our functions balance out more as we mature. What you need is a kick in the rear end to learn, and then that will prompt you to do some introspection and try to work on your weaknesses. At least that is what happened to me.

Now, I do not know how things are where you live, but even here in Germany, where things are really strict and really difficult due to bureaucracy (GAHHHHHHHHHH!), you can change your career or your job if you really do not like it, at least initially. If worse comes to worse and you really do not like your job (or if you decide you want to get additional qualifications for the hell of it like me) you can always take continuing education courses. In the States, my aunt changed her career, like, 5 times (she's an INFP). In Australia, my other aunt changed her career 3-4 times (I think she was ENTP, not sure though). And I have changed my career path three times, even in my short life (I'm 28 years old and got a PoliSci major, started teaching English, had a blip where I was a foreign language assistant - basically nothing more than a glorified secretary, although I thought I would be translating contracts and documents and interpreting meetings with travel and the like - before going back to teaching, which I LOVE; and now I am getting a three-year degree in translation just because I'm bored - well, I am not really BORED - I enjoy teaching: I mean I want to improve/develop/etc.). So DON'T WORRY!!!!!!!!! Pick something, and if it isn't your cup of tea, THEN you can change. But don't quit before you start. Okay?

At 18 I'd say I'm probably one of the youngest folk here. ^^
But I think park of the problem is the ol' manic depression. I don't even know if its really possible to type people with bipolar or not :/ And I have to say, last time I took the test I was on a bit of a high note which is most probably why the percentaroonies were so damn high.
Its nice to read you always struggled with that pesky wandering mind too though! And I have to say, for all the trouble it causes, I like getting easily enthusiastic about new projects. Helps me learn about loads of new things and that can't be a bad thing.

I . . . uh . . . manage projects I like the whip-cracking part of it most
Hahaha!! Oh I like you.

SillyGoose

MBTI Type
EXXP
Let's see.

High school -- worked at a children's thrift clothing shop, worked at a family pizza place, worked in a barn and worked at a local cable tv station

Immediately graduating high school -- went off to basic training for the AF. My job was a merge of several jobs (fit me quite well) did that for five years while volunteering in orphanages in several different countries that I traveled too.

After separating -- worked for a chiropractor doing small bookkeeping

After that -- work for a general contractor from doing accounting and HR.

Present time, still working for the GC firm and working on a documentary.

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Baby eating and Baby seal clubbing
For the next 2 years or so.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm studying the varying aspects of Illustration at the moment. It's what I want to do for the rest of my life for the most part. Hmm, I'm afraid I don't have your problem, OiEarthGirl. But I understand how exciting changing your focus can be, the matter is probably finding something that can sustain that excitement and consistently provide new facets. I don't think it would have to be a job or a career, it could just as easily be a hobby.