• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Seeking Rationality

á´…eparted

passages
Recently I have confirmed that my type is ENFJ (at least, that is what fits best above all else all things considered). So, F dominant, and T inferior. Despite this, I consider myself to be a highly rational person, and always in persuit of a logical answer, reason, explaniation for things etc.. Emotions, feeling, subjectivity take a back seat when they can be put there, and I try to under nearly all cases. Those things are more prone to error and complication of things when it wouldn't be needed, so it only makes sense to avoid or rationalize it when possible.

That said, most NF types don't really relate to this. One of my best friends (INFP) is the only other F type I know that is very driven in this type of way.

Any other NF's (or F types in general) relate to this or feel this way themselves? Where they always seek to be rational, skeptical, and objective whenever they can? I might be interesting to start a conversation about this.

Discuss!

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's because Feeling in the Jungian sense IS rational AND logical. Feeling is assigning/creating value concepts in relation to "being human". Thinking in the Jungian sense means more of a technical classification.

I can relate to this (and it's VERY common for INFPs to experience themselves as rational; this comes up frequently among INFPs), except for the "objective" part. I'm highly aware of my own subjectivity, but I do not see this to mean more bias than anyone else. Rather, I feel more freed from external influence & more connected to what is fundamentally & universally "human" always beneath the changing contexts of culture. There's a purity to this subjectivity.

In Jungian theory, the more objective types are the extroverts; it's not a T/F difference.

Last edited:

á´…eparted

passages
[MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION]

I completely agree with you. Even if F types are inheriently rational, they may not see themselves as such, which is a big reason why I asked. A lot of it is stereotypical. There are also some people who simply do not identify with the idea of rationality, and actually distrust and dislike the process of it.

I think we also see what rational means to be different. I see it as going through some sort of process that is universally agreed upon to be valid, and or is backed by some sort of proof (i.e. a research paper). Though in the realms of every day life you don't exactly need to cite journals. That would be mighty clunky. This is simply because I am ruled by Fe, and you Fi (so there is disagreement) but I am very very distrusting of internal logic that isn't refrenced to the outside world. Anyway I digress.