• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Why Do NFs Apologize So Much?

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Maybe because they misbehave more, so they have to.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
An old thread ... brought back to life!

My first reaction to the post title:

I'm sorry, do we apologize too much?

:laugh:

My heavens, I saw the thread title and thought this exact same thought, and see I actually posted it in here last year too. So predictable. :laugh:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My heavens, I saw the thread title and thought this exact same thought, and see I actually posted it in here last year too. So predictable. :laugh:

I'm really embarrassed with the times I have posted in a reborn necro thread just to realize I posted the exact same content in it two years prior. *doh*

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I apologize a lot because I'm always saying things that I feel I need to apologize for. They always make sense when I say them, and then I feel stupid and mean for saying them as soon as someone pushes back. Because then I see it from their perspective, and resent myself for what I said.

There are also times when I don't apologize even though I know I should... sometimes someone picks on the wrong point, and then I can be too hurt to apologize, and then proceed to just tear them down. Perhaps not being hateful, but definitely attacking all their assumptions and values in a way that can't make them feel very good. Sometimes after this happens, I just try to distance myself from the person... because I'm too embarrassed that I'm not able to be civil with them due to how they make me feel.

This must be frustrating for you NTs... it probably seems that I often apologize when it's not necessary, and often don't when it is.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I apologize constantly to people that I like. It's because I want to them to like me, too.

It's also probably to make up for the fact that I would otherwise terrify them away with my mock-ESTJ belligerence.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I was raised by an a remarkably argumentative father, which I suppose pounded the "apologize for everything" gene out of me. I usually only apologize unless I've truly done something wrong, and then, I don't apologize for the opinion that sparked the wrong behavior. :devil: I hate fake apologies, and can smell them a mile away...I especially hate when someone apologizes for their own opinion or for having a disagreement in the first place. I can absolutely disagree with someone strongly, and still feel OK with the relationship (as long as no one was inappropriate or abusive in any way). But then, in my home growing up, apology was a sign of weakness, so I've kind of learned to apologize more, not less. :heart:

I do tend to over explain myself, though, sometimes in a self-abasing way that irritates even me. I need to learn to trust the other person to ask clarifying questions if they need to, and take responsibility for their half of the relationship, without constantly trying to work out how I might be possibly misunderstood in the moment. I'm working on that. :blush:

FakePlasticAlice

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I always attributed my over abundant apologies to my anxiety issues. It never really hit me that it could be type related. I've definitely been known to drive people crazy with the constant i'm sorrys. However, i have a flip side that is rather in your face blunt and doesn't feel the need to apologize every few minutes... i haven't seen her lately.. i miss her.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I always attributed my over abundant apologies to my anxiety issues. It never really hit me that it could be type related. I've definitely been known to drive people crazy with the constant i'm sorrys. However, i have a flip side that is rather in your face blunt and doesn't feel the need to apologize every few minutes... i haven't seen her lately.. i miss her.

I'm sorry.. but that also might be because you're Canadian eh? Sorry, not that that is a bad thing.
I didn't mean to interrupt, I apologize . ;)

FakePlasticAlice

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm sorry.. but that also might be because you're Canadian eh? Sorry, not that that is a bad thing.
I didn't mean to interrupt, I apologize . ;)

I'm sorry, i didn't mean to dirty this thread with my Candian-ness. Anxious NF Canadian...eep! My apologies to all...even my fellow Canadian above!

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I hear it's a curse non tiertary Fe user are afflicted with.
I personally repeat 'there's no reason to be sorry' (when there isn't ) hoping it'll sink in. Well that's not exactly why I do it but it wouldn't be as much fun if I told you guys everything about my cunning ways

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Why?

For one example, sometimes I email and I have a bad feeling. Awkwardness...I want to fix it. So I send an email to fix that one.

Then I have awkwardness...a bad feeling...because of my apology or further communication, so I send a third one to fix the second one.

This has continued ten layers deep.

...I'm better now.

I started sending notes in the second grade, over 30 years ago.

Now I realize that it's not always good to give these notes to express your feelings or apologize to people.

One time in college, I gave someone a note to apologize for something in chemistry class. Then a group of people called me like at 1:00 AM, very drunk and giggly. They all thought my note was hilarious.

HotpinkHeatwave

MBTI Type
ENFP
I only apologize when something is my fault, or if I feel truly horrible. Like.. If I accidentally SOMEHOW punch a friend in the face.. I'd probably apologize a lot. Haha.
However.. When someone is in pain/something is wrong, I tend to apologize too.. Because, I feel bad.
Friend - "I have a horrible headache."
Me - "Aw, I'm sorry."

It's just because we care, and in a way.. We really are sorry. Not always because the blame is on us, or we've done something wrong.. But because we feel for you. We're sorry you're in a bad spot.

And if we have done something wrong, of course we're going to apologize like crazy. We feel even worse!

chachamaru

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
because i farted. and i can empathize with your discomfort because i'm familiar with the smell.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can see why they do it. When you stand up for yourself, especially if people don't expect you to, they'll swiftly and violently try to cut you down to a shell of a person until you're so lacking in self-esteem that you believe your rights and thoughts to be inferior to everyone else's. It's what happens when people react emotionally rather than respond to the facts presented in the assertion. Many people see it as a "sign of disrespect" that you DARE voice a concern or disagreement, no matter how impersonal the issue is.

No matter how impersonal and factual, assertiveness is NOT well-received. People will just try to wear you down.

(I'm pretty drrrrunk right now, so excuse my Fi for coming out like that)

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
I can see why they do it. When you stand up for yourself, especially if people don't expect you to, they'll swiftly and violently try to cut you down to a shell of a person until you're so lacking in self-esteem that you believe your rights and thoughts to be inferior to everyone else's. It's what happens when people react emotionally rather than respond to the facts presented in the assertion. Many people see it as a "sign of disrespect" that you DARE voice a concern or disagreement, no matter how impersonal the issue is.

No matter how impersonal and factual, assertiveness is NOT well-received. People will just try to wear you down.

No, I would say this is reasonable, rather than drunken rambling. This is why it's important to assert yourself early and often, I suppose. And just get good at doing it in a way you're comfortable with. I find that I have a lot of pushback (as mrcockburn describes) whenever I try to assert myself, because I've usually been angry for a very long time before I say anything. It's typically diplomatic, but still. Maybe this is why the INFJ doorslam is something common enough to get its own phrase describing it!

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
There are only a handful of people that have ever heard me apologize in real life. I don't know if I apologize any more online, but if I do, it is because I am more prone to misinterpret things here due to the lack of nonverbal communication.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
NFs are fine just the way they are. They're not NTs, there's no reason they need to be NTs. I think in many cases, they just really don't care to argue. When I argue with NFs, I often feel like I'm being cruel by "pushing my values on them." I'd rather not be cruel. There are plenty of NTs to argue with without getting the NFs involved.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm not normally mean or bitchy but I have my moments. I always feel bad after saying whatever I said so I feel the need to say sorry. I want to get along with most people :). If someone was rude to me I would want them to apologize too! Otherwise I might have that screw that bitch or asshole mentality in the back of my mind towards them.