• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] ENFJs in fictional works

The Grand Chameleon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Ah yes, my weak Se* skills have once again failed me. There is apparently a pre-existing thread regarding a topic as "unique" as this. Too bad...

*search engine

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Michael?! An ENFJ?! Why that's just...umm...oh...God, he is one of us, isn't he? Where was the clan when he got the license? Don't we monitor these things anymore!? Is it just anybody that can be an ENFJ now? WTFridge Midge?

The Grand Chameleon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
You don't think he exudes the ENFJ aura? He's always looking to be friends with everyone, always seeing the potential in the company and his employees, strives for group harmony, easily hurt by conflict, craves to be the center of attention, loves to have others confide in him, and absolutely judges himself based on the company he keeps (no pun intended). He's also stupid, tactless, and rude. Was that too long?

(that's what she said)

Goatman455

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Rare, because I believe though we may be awesome in real life

You sure you are an ENFJ?, jk. I think ENFJs would be great to watch on TV. What makes them boring on TV? Also, I think unhealthy types probably make the most entertaining types as well when the character is fictional.

I think that really healthy versions of people are just boring to watch, because they are unrelated. Most of us have some kind of flaw or problem, and seeing someone act perfect just usually isn't as relatable.

The Grand Chameleon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
You sure you are an ENFJ?, jk. I think ENFJs would be great to watch on TV. What makes them boring on TV? Also, I think unhealthy types probably make the most entertaining types as well when the character is fictional.

I think that really healthy versions of people are just boring to watch, because they are unrelated. Most of us have some kind of flaw or problem, and seeing someone act perfect just usually isn't as relatable.

Conflicts and flawed individuals are very attractive for entertainment purposes, which is why the (ok, healthy) ENFJ is unsuitable for television. We seek harmony with others, we seek to hide our flaws through people camouflage...the same old boring stuff. That's why they killed "New Brian" off in Family Guy, who is without a doubt an ENFJ:

YouTube - Family Guy - New Cool Whip

Though I would agree...an unhealthy, manipulative ENFJ would definitely be worth the watch:

YouTube - Death of New Brian

IMO: I think Micheal Scott is more of an ESFP. Holly seems more ENFJ.

Really? What makes you say that?

The first episode that introduced Holly made me wonder if she was ENFJ too, but I've only seen that one episode.

Goatman455

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I see your point, but you know the "straight man (or women)" is always the foundation of a comedy team. I bet you a healthy ENFJ would be perfect for this role, even if they didn't get the credit they deserved.

Perhaps the idea a healthy ENFJ is not entertaining is more due to a social bias, than something inherent in the ENFJ. There are probably cultures in the world that would find healthy ENFJs endlessly entertaining.

Not trying to argue, just something that popped into my head when I read your post, which I agree with btw.

The Grand Chameleon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Even if you were arguing a case, it's always nice to hear what the other side thinks. :)

Your concept of the "straight man" is interesting; will you elaborate on this idea? Are there any specific fictional characters that you had in mind?

MFJAGgernaut-B

MBTI Type
INFP
Conflicts and flawed individuals are very attractive for entertainment purposes, which is why the (ok, healthy) ENFJ is unsuitable for television.

Agreed. The only way to get a healthy ENFJ into a TV show and make it work is to pair him up with a screwball comic relief character that he has to near-constantly clean up after.

This was how The Andy Griffith Show set up each episode. Andy was the guy who always knew what to say and what to do to resolve a matter quickly. That kind of character is lethal to any story; he'd stop the problem before it has a chance to start. So he is kept busy with other things while his screwball deputy raises hell around town, and then given control of the situation within the last ten minutes of the episode. Andy wraps things up using his people skills, the excitement winds down, and Mayberry resets itself for the next episode.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Rob in High Fidelity (+ many other John Cusack characters)
Jesse in Before Sunrise / Sunset

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can only think of cartoon characters at the moment, but here's what I've got: Title character from Hey Arnold (not sure about the E), and Frankie from Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends (not sure about the N).

Another possibility would be Natalie from Monk, whom I recently typed as ESFJ but on second thoughts I've no idea of her S/N preference.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
After seeing his roast, I almost have no doubt that Bob Saget is an ENFJ.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Did anyone say Elizabeth Bennett yet?

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Did anyone say Elizabeth Bennett yet?

xNFPs like to claim her since she fits quite nicely into their NFP/NTJ fairy tale.

Katherine Heigl's character Abby Richter from The Ugly Truth seemed ENFJ to me, but then all of Katherine's characters strike me as ENFJ.

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Has anyone mentioned Bella from Twilight or Sookie Stackhouse from the Sookie Stackhouse series?

Bella is ISFP (clearly I, and, to me, S), but you might be on to something with Sookie. I'm thinking ENFP for her, but then I keep seeing ENFJ traits (I'm always through the first book).

Someone already mentioned Rachel Weisz's character in The Constant Gardener, and I would add her character in The Shape of Things.

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Ginny from Harry Potter,
Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City.

I'm sorry if these are repeats.

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Really? What makes you say that?

The first episode that introduced Holly made me wonder if she was ENFJ too, but I've only seen that one episode.

Holly just reminds me of an ENFJ I know IRL. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but I can see it in the way she smiles and reacts to the others. Very charming and sweet, yet able to be endearingly goofy for Micheal.

I can't really describe why I see Micheal as an ESFP. Although ENFJ could fit as well...

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
xNFPs like to claim her since she fits quite nicely into their NFP/NTJ fairy tale.

Hm. I wasn't aware of that claim.
Well, let me be the first of the NFPs (specifically INFP) to throw E. Bennett into the ENFJ pile. I think I'm secure enough for this. :)