• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] ENFJs in fictional works

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Ferris Bueller is an ENTP. He has a carefree, no worries attitude, while coming up with clever plans at a moment's notice. Also wanting to soak up the limelight and take risks is more in line with ExxP type behavior. According to Ferris, Cameron's problem is that he's too uptight about everything. He needs a nice P like Ferris to get him to snap out of it.

I can see why you would think that and, to be honest, I don't think it's incredibly clear-cut as I think about it. And I haven't seen the movie for a few years. Nonetheless, I still maintain he's an ENFJ. Yes, he does have the ability to think on his feet pretty well, but he also shows evidence of having planned well ahead for contingencies. The dummy in the bed with the snoring soundtrack, for instance. The licked palms. The list of things to do to "fake out the parents". List! He had his synthesizer programmed with all sorts of sick noises to use for his phone call. Hacking the school's database to reduce his listed absent days to cover his tracks. There seems to be a lot of Ni in his ability to handle both situations which may arise and situations which do. The "care-free, no worries attitude" to me comes from his absolute confidence that he's equal to any challenge, not from his being a P. I'll admit that his risk-taking is somewhat inconsistent with the NJs I know, but I choose to view that as evidence of his maturity. He sees the risks in perspective as being very minor for the rewards.

As for the F, I think that's a bit more clear. As I mentioned, the main point of his day off is to get Cameron to loosen up. It's almost all for Cameron. So much so that when Cameron tells him he hasn't done anything fun Ferris is shattered, and instead of telling Cameron to fuck off like I think most ENTPs would, he goes even further to show him a good time. He's clearly extremely concerned about what's going to happen to Cameron if he doesn't change.

So maybe it isn't an absolutely clearcut case. I'm sure I could put forward a plausible case for him being an ENTP as well. But, on the whole, I think ENFJ is his best fit. He's charismatic (see the concern of the whole school over his illness) which ENFJs often are. He cares about his friends and wants to see them improve. He has remarkable foresight and planning. And the sheer volume of events he squeezes into his day off says J to me.

Hmm, I may have to watch it again.

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
So maybe it isn't an absolutely clearcut case. I'm sure I could put forward a plausible case for him being an ENTP as well. But, on the whole, I think ENFJ is his best fit. He's charismatic (see the concern of the whole school over his illness) which ENFJs often are. He cares about his friends and wants to see them improve. He has remarkable foresight and planning. And the sheer volume of events he squeezes into his day off says J to me.

Hmm, I may have to watch it again.

I agree..ENFJ.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Bueller is ENFP.

I could see that too. He has rampant Ne throughout the movie. I'd mostly slant him toward a T since he uses technology to further some of his schemes, like hacking the school computer or using a synthesizer to fake sick noises. Both ENxP types fit the fast thinking, overconfident, pleasure-seeking attitude that Ferris Bueler clearly displays.

ferrisbueller

MBTI Type
ENFP
Ferris Bueller is an ENTP. He has a carefree, no worries attitude, while coming up with clever plans at a moment's notice. Also wanting to soak up the limelight and take risks is more in line with ExxP type behavior. According to Ferris, Cameron's problem is that he's too uptight about everything. He needs a nice P like Ferris to get him to snap out of it.

Ferris is not a T. No prayer.
I think ENFJ might be right on. He accomplishes a whole lot for a slacker, making me think J, and he has that charisma that makes me think ENFJ. ENFJ's are so charming.

What about Lorelai Gilmore? I know some people will say ENFP, but she runs that inn like a J. I think the ENF is pretty clear.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I think y'all's taking Bueller's type a little too seriously. In my opinion fictional characters only have a defined type about half the time, and when they do it's obvious*. Bueller, in my view, is a construction of about every positive characteristic they could think of.

*For an example, watch The Zero Effect. Pullman's character is more INTP than any real or fictional person I've ever seen.

ferrisbueller

MBTI Type
ENFP
I think y'all's taking Bueller's type a little too seriously. In my opinion fictional characters only have a defined type about half the time, and when they do it's obvious*. Bueller, in my view, is a construction of about every positive characteristic they could think of.
[/SIZE]

I don't really agree. You can probably tell from my username that I love Bueller, and I think it's pretty clear that Bueller is an ENFX. His banter with Cameron makes the N pretty clear, his monologue about marrying Sloane seems F to me, and he's quite clearly an E.
I also don't think anybody's taking anything too seriously. We're typing Bueller for kicks.
I do agree about the fictional characters though, especially on TV series, where I think different writers often infuse different personality types into the same character from episode to episode.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I don't really agree....I think it's pretty clear that Bueller is an ENFX.
Case closed. Now I'll finish reading your post.

Looks like I'm forced to get serious about Bueller! *sleeves* To clarify my previous statement slightly: Bueller is everything at once. Contemplative and patient in solo pursuits, as evidenced by his bedroom, yet as skilled as anyone with people (I+E maxed out), As logical as a computer and as caring as Mother Theresa (T+F), Industrious and completely laid back (In effect a P with every positive J trait added on). The only thing I'd call him is N, because he doesn't seem too concerned with sensual exploits. So he's XNXX and would be put in charge of the entire world if he existed.

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ

Well then there you go....

EPC=ENFJ

Thanks for doing the math. :nice:

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

Looks like I'm forced to get serious about Bueller! *sleeves* To clarify my previous statement slightly: Bueller is everything at once. Contemplative and patient in solo pursuits, as evidenced by his bedroom, yet as skilled as anyone with people (I+E maxed out), As logical as a computer and as caring as Mother Theresa (T+F), Industrious and completely laid back (In effect a P with every positive J trait added on). The only thing I'd call him is N, because he doesn't seem too concerned with sensual exploits.

I don't think Ferris is all positive characteristics. He's overcondifent, manipulative, a huge attention whore, and has absolutely no respect for rules or authority. Even these negative characteristics describe both ENxP types quite accurately. I only think it's T and F that is hard to decide because he uses both quite a bit. I personally lean toward ENTP, but I could see ENFP too.

So he's XNXX and would be put in charge of the entire world if he existed.

Well your post is a pretty good description of Barack Obama too. ;)

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Lorelai Gilmore is an ESFP. She's like my ESFP friend, who can be very decisive and business-like, but also scattershot and "whatever!" I think her kid Rory is an ISFx.

I love the irony of Ferris Bueller typing Ferris Bueller!

sharpedges

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I don't think Ferris is all positive characteristics. He's overcondifent, manipulative, a huge attention whore, and has absolutely no respect for rules or authority. Even these negative characteristics describe both ENxP types quite accurately. I only think it's T and F that is hard to decide because he uses both quite a bit. I personally lean toward ENTP, but I could see ENFP too.

I'm just going to throw this at you guys... since I'm fairly certain as people mature typing becomes much more difficult (that is unless you're able to personally shake out the core charecteristics...).

I've been referred to being in relation to Ferris (and it's true). I'm 100% ENTJ and when I'm placed in idleness due to external factors - I'm quite the little rebel and I can make massive waves (with the help of others of course). Completely manipulative... and people tend to get hurt (got to pull back the reigns at times).

NFs aware of social niceties... how would Ferris fall into that category???

Not respecting authority (definetly a rational(NT) - no question). Charisma (attention whore) - hmmm... E without doubt! As far as caring... we all have our ways (and some of us are ruthless with love). I'm in agreement however on the N vs. P. It's a little difficult to type him in those settings. I can tell you though - I was the idle of everyone at school (if not completely hated because I failed to follow anything)... and, well, authority figures and I had run arounds constantly. That still happens occassionally - hehe.

Although given the strategic planning, the execution tactics, and so on... I'm fairly certain it would be questionable from every angle. I do know one thing though - most Ps aren't that cunning unless they have developed their J. If I have to take the bet - it's either ENTJ or ENTP period!

Last edited by a moderator:

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Peekay from the Power of One

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Well your post is a pretty good description of Barack Obama too. ;)
madflaknf3.png

ferrisbueller

MBTI Type
ENFP

Looks like I'm forced to get serious about Bueller! *sleeves* To clarify my previous statement slightly: Bueller is everything at once. Contemplative and patient in solo pursuits, as evidenced by his bedroom, yet as skilled as anyone with people (I+E maxed out), As logical as a computer and as caring as Mother Theresa (T+F), Industrious and completely laid back (In effect a P with every positive J trait added on). The only thing I'd call him is N, because he doesn't seem too concerned with sensual exploits. So he's XNXX and would be put in charge of the entire world if he existed.
You're so adorably snarky.
I don't really know that Ferris is "as logical as a computer." I'm really surprised by how many people here seem confident that he's a T. His monologues about his relationship with Sloane and his interactions with Cameron seem very F to me. I'm less confident about the P/J, I could go either way there. Also, just because he is capable of entertaining himself while alone doesn't mean he can't be an E. Ferris is as obviously E as it gets.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
You're so adorably snarky.
I don't really know that Ferris is "as logical as a computer." I'm really surprised by how many people here seem confident that he's a T.

Evidently only Ts are allowed to be clever and non-squishy. :rolli:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Children! I'm pulling this car over RIGHT NOW.