• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] How to tell an ISFP from an INFP?

alphashallows

MBTI Type
ENFP
Hello... first post on this forum, yay!

I'm an ENFP (about 80% sure... INFP/ENTP are the other possibilities, almost sure it's ENFP but that's a story for another thread) who has taken a big interest in MBTI in the last year, and as such have been trying to type my friends.

Having discussed MBTI a bit with them, my friends all took the HumanMetrics test - and I was pretty satisfied with most of their results, they seemed to fit quite well.

However, two of my friends tested as ISFP and the more I think about it the more I think they might be more likely to be INFPs. They're both highly creative people - however I know creativity is common to both ISFPs and INFPs.

The INFP thing is just a hunch but how can I actually tell an INFP from an ISFP? Are there any defining characteristics that can help me type them properly?

A bit of background... my group of friends in general is quite creative - having thought a lot about my friends I think I generally gravitate towards other Feeling types in particular, and then also other iNtuitives secondly. My very close friends include ENFPs, ENFJs, suspected INFPs/possible ISFPs, the odd ENTP, the odd INFJ, and an ESFP - for some reason I happen to have evaded very close friendships with SJ types entirely.

As mentioned before the friends in question are very creative, and in both cases their creativity is in writing - one writes a lot of scripts in her spare time (for the purposes of this thread, we'll call her Jane). She needs to get their ideas out and going as soon as possible otherwise she lose them, and it almost bursts out of her - this is definitely the case for this girl. Jane is very introverted in the way she writes though, sometimes she likes to bounce ideas off our friends and I and develop them by speaking (usually when she's writing comedy, it'll be a duo writing and she'll like to bounce ideas to get an idea if it's funny or not) but the majority of the time she prefers to write drama and in that case she'll just need to start writing so that the idea can form and it kind of spills out of her onto the computer when she's alone. I live with her and she often takes herself off into her room bursting with an idea and start writing before the idea passes her by. She sees herself as quite a quirky, "funky" character and she dresses in a "funky" way. She loves shoes and if she sees something for her room or to wear that matches her style she just has to have it - she's not materialistic at all but when she sees something she likes her eyes literally light up and it genuinely makes her happy. Jane's the one I'm still kind of on the fence with as regards her type - I can see a lot of Sensor and iNtuitive qualities in her and she's a tough one to place.

The other (we'll call her Anne), that I'm a little more inclined to think is INFP, is another storyteller but she sends not to be as productive. She always makes analogies when she speaks. She once wrote a collection of short stories and drew a load of comic-like drawings to go along with them. She is also a very talented poet, and her poems are like stories/sketches that she acts out with accents and rhythm - almost like a rap of sorts but slightly more comedic and not rapper-like at all (I'm not explaining what she does very well, it's really quite unique). Her creative process is very different - she doesn't live and breathe writing as the other girl does, she just oozes creativity and humour but doesn't necessarily WRITE a lot - she's a very creative speaker. Anne is also like me in the way that she craves information and knowledge about the world and the people in it. We're kind of each other's documentary buddies and we'll often call each other telling each other about an amazing new piece of information or case or story we've heard, and we'll both despair at the state of the world and try to psychoanalyse people in stories we've heard. Anne is very clean and healthy - she eats all organic foods and hates dirt - she's generally afraid of putting bad foods/germs into her body and sees processed foods as totally unnatural.

They're both VERY values-oriented and very clear Fi-doms.

Another thing that might help me decide... What has your interaction with ENFPs been like? Have you got any ENFP friends/family members? What is your dynamic like, and how do you think this might it might compare to ENFP-ISFP interactions? (ALL of the questions :p)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Those tests aren't 100% accurate. The results need to be backed up with researching type descriptions.

alphashallows

MBTI Type
ENFP
Those tests aren't 100% accurate. The results need to be backed up with researching type descriptions.

I've had a read of both, hence why I'm unsure - I got a sense of overarching Fi in nearly all the descriptions I read. Both were also said to be highly creative - It was hard to fully grasp the subtleties of the differences between the types. I have seen speech processes and thought processes that seemed more intuitive to me from both, but they both also seem to have sensor traits as well.

Anything from the above that may indicate one or the other?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've had a read of both, hence why I'm unsure - I got a sense of overarching Fi in nearly all the descriptions I read. Both were also said to be highly creative - It was hard to fully grasp the subtleties of the differences between the types. I have seen speech processes and thought processes that seemed more intuitive to me from both, but they both also seem to have sensor traits as well.

Anything from the above that may indicate one or the other?

ISFP - humanistic + concrete.
INFP - humanistic + dreamy.

Jobey in Error

MBTI Type
INFP
One of the most obvious signs I've seen is that ISFPs tend to dress/groom well, in a fashionable way. Not a high priority for most INFPs, and they won't be as up on the fashions even if they try; they're more offbeat and earthy.

Anne sounds more INFP-y to me, mostly based on the sound of her creative output, and the fact that she's slightly less productive. Of course, typing someone you haven't met on so short a description is a bit like reading tea leaves. ;)

S

Stansmith

One of the most obvious signs I've seen is that ISFPs tend to dress/groom well, in a fashionable way. Not a high priority for most INFPs, and they won't be as up on the fashions even if they try; they're more offbeat and earthy.

Hmm..I can see what you mean, but not always. Kid Cudi is an INFP that seems to be into 'fashion'.

I don't really follow fashion trends...I just wear and buy what I like without much of a concern for where others are moving style-wise, although I might incorporate certain aspects of it if I consider it appealing (I usually have a good sense of what's 'me', and what isn't). Alot of it (like the 'goth-ninja' aesthetic that seemed to be catching on at one point) leaves me scratching my head.

Yeah.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
There's INFPs that will take great offense at claims that we aren't into fashion (not that I'm one of them). I don't think it's a useful indicator.

Anyway here's what I've noticed about the way my ISFP friend communicates that is different to me:

- She lets the moment flow through her. She talks about ideas but they're more like side observations that strike her in the middle of talking about something that happened to her.
- She's much more interested in stories. She talks about things in a linear fashion as they come/came to her. There's more of a sense of connectivity in her ideas - more flow.
- she's very 'vibey' when it comes to the environment around her. She can be totally engrossed in conversations and then says, "Sorry. Sorry, I just had to say - sorry - do you see that bird over there? OMG, it's just so beautiful. Sorry I didn't mean to interrupt. Carry on". :laugh:
- when I try to have a catch up with her and find out what has been going on in her life, I never really get the overview. I get a bunch of detailed interludes and anecdotes, but I will never figure out where she's working/living or what her relationship status is, or even which country she's been in lately. Her stories just seem to start without much context, so much so it's like walking in on the middle of a conversation and missing all the preamble. You feel like you're thrust right into the midst of her world. There's a powerful sense of immediacy to this
- she seems less certain of herself. She's often waiting for inspiration to come to her, to guide her how to live, and is a very open person. (not sure if this is just her or not, though)

So I guess I would say in comparison:
- I let ideas flow through me instead, and I'm less connected to the actual happening of things.
- I'm more random in what connections I form, and less 'narrative' driven.
- I vibe on ideas that come to me. When I'm feeling inspired I'm usually completely removed from the moment and don't even notice my surroundings.
- I have more of a holistic view of things - less detailed but broader.
- I have a clearer sense of what I think and believe, and am perhaps less open in this sense.

Cygnus

ISFPs and INFPs are both very fast talkers when you get to know them.

ISFPs almost sound like extroverts when you get them to open up. I met an ISFP girl in my class. She looked exactly like the archetype of the "shy girl." Then I sat with her at lunch. Her style of speaking sounded a lot like mine. You'd think you were talking to an E if you heard her.
ISFPs have a sort of "sass" to them. They're actually a bit sillier than INFPs.
INFPs often have trouble expressing emotion. They talk just as fast as ISFPs, but when they’re excited, it sounds like they’re “wheezing out” their words, like they’ve been choked back.

S

Stansmith

I'm guessing 'sassy'/aggressive ISFPs are gammas/ISFjs (Se-valuing) in Socionics...while more docile, mellow ISFPs are Alphas/ISFps (Si-Valuing). Sassy isn't really a term I'd used to describe many ISFPs.

Cygnus

I'm guessing 'sassy'/aggressive ISFPs are gammas/ISFjs (Se-valuing) in Socionics...while more docile, mellow ISFPs are Alphas/ISFps (Si-Valuing). Sassy isn't really a term I'd used to describe many ISFPs.

Not aggressive. Just "in your face" the way ESFPs are. Totally due to Se.

S

Stansmith

Not aggressive. Just "in your face" the way ESFPs are. Totally due to Se.

I see what you mean but still, I think that only describes some ISFPs (Eminem, Rihanna, etc. types). The ISFP's brand of Se can be a bit different from that of stereotypical Se-doms....more gentle and 'flowy' with less of a focus on immediate impact.

HollyGolightly

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My sister is an ISFP and I am usually friends with INFPs. The main difference I have noticed is how their Se and Ne come into play. They are both Fi-doms so I get why people can mistake one for the other, my sister actually thought she was INFP for some times before she realised she doesn't use Ne. I find ISFPsto be more concrete and concise in how they speak. A lot of ISFPs I have known find it harder to express themselves in words and often create something tangible and concrete to express themselves...like with my sister it's music. My sister is also a writer and her writing style is very to the point. There's no flowery language and it has a kind of simplicity about it. This might be just my sister though, I don't know whether you can use this to distinguish between ISFP and INFP. But INFPs I have known have been a little more poetic in nature and I have found ISFPs to be more grounded and constant (don't know whether that is the right word) than INFPs. I tend to mesh well with INFPs but I do find them to be not fully present somehow and sometimes it feels like they're not quite on this planet. ISFPs are pretty dreamy too but I feel like the are definitly "here." Think this has to do with an ISFPs Se which means they are more in touch with the physical world and there here and now I suppose. ISFPs are more kinesthetic than INFPs and usually have high kinesthetic intelligence (like my sister, she seems to be very in touch with the physical world, even in the way she moves and stuff). I also find ISFPs to be more easily pleased and less dissatisfied with things than INFPs. ISFPs tend to just take things as they come whereas INFPs are idealists at heart so this doesn't seem to come so easily to them.

Werebudgie

I want my account deleted
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
My sister is an ISFP and I am usually friends with INFPs. The main difference I have noticed is how their Se and Ne come into play.

I have seen pretty much all the differences you point out in your comment in the differences between an ISFP I was close with some time ago, and the INFP partner currently in my life.

They are both Fi-doms so I get why people can mistake one for the other, my sister actually thought she was INFP for some times before she realised she doesn't use Ne.

I thought the ISFP was INFP for a long time because of the Fi-dom similarity, until my INFP suggested to me that the other person was ISFP. All of a sudden all these pieces started clicking into place.

I find ISFPsto be more concrete and concise in how they speak. A lot of ISFPs I have known find it harder to express themselves in words and often create something tangible and concrete to express themselves...like with my sister it's music.

This reminds me of an email I got from the ISFP saying "This is how I feel right now" with an attached (gorgeous and amazingly well done) photograph she had taken. Compare that to the multiple page email attachment letters I would get from my INFP. The ISFP was an extremely talented visual artist and musician. My INFP also has some creative talent in those areas, but with the ISFP visual art and music seemed like an extension of her personal voice.

My sister is also a writer and her writing style is very to the point. There's no flowery language and it has a kind of simplicity about it. This might be just my sister though, I don't know whether you can use this to distinguish between ISFP and INFP.

I saw this same distinction, so add that data to the mix.

ISFPs are more kinesthetic than INFPs and usually have high kinesthetic intelligence (like my sister, she seems to be very in touch with the physical world, even in the way she moves and stuff).

I never even had a concept for kinesthetic intelligence until I experienced interaction with the ISFP. It was amazing. And since in our case we were romantically involved, it was ... amazing.

I also find ISFPs to be more easily pleased and less dissatisfied with things than INFPs. ISFPs tend to just take things as they come whereas INFPs are idealists at heart so this doesn't seem to come so easily to them.

I hadn't thought about that until relatively recently, but I think this was/is also true in what I've seen. Both the ISFP and INFP describe themselves as "go with the flow" people, but reality is that the ISFP actually went with the flow almost always, while my INFP tends to have a strong stubborn streak of "this is what should be" that pulls against that approach.

Doomkid

ISFP will look more like ESFP, sometimes they're paranoid over diseases and stuff (think jessica alba)

INFP will look more like ENFP, there will always be a time when they talk about world issues, wars, starvation etc (think jodie foster)

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
ISFPs have a stronger drive to make their Fi ideals physically real than INFPs, they are less into theorizing for its own sake and more into "living their ideals" in a practical way, such as starting an organic farm, or doing volunteer work, or working one-on-one with disabled people.

L

LadyLazarus

Well, my sister's an INFP and compared to her I'm:

-More aggressive(the kid HATES fights, I'm more comfortable with them)
-Sterner
-More closed minded(My Fi manifests itself as "These are my beliefs, which I have derived solely from within myself, they are right, yours are wrong, I am the pinnacle of my own brand of morality; a morality which I will now shove down your throat!"
Her Fi manifests itself as, "These are my beliefs, which I have derived not only from within but also from thinking about the perspectives of others, take them or leave them, just don't try to sway me on them or I will be upset.")

-More realistic(although she's oddly much less idealistic about romance than I am)
-Less trusting(I often get mad at her for giving people the benefit of the doubt too often rather than trusting common sense)
-More impulsive(I'm not super impulsive, but compared to her I do seem much more rash)
-Less altruistic(I'm horridly selfish, she's extremely giving)

Basically, I see ISFP as a more grounded, jaded version of INFP, like an INFP who's had their bubble burst. I am very idealistic about quite a few things, but my sister absolutely confounds me/ blows me out of the water with the all encompassing nature of her idealism. She's not just idealistic in certain areas of her life like I am, she's idealistic about almost, if not absolutely, everything.

ISFP will look more like ESFP, sometimes they're paranoid over diseases and stuff (think jessica alba)

INFP will look more like ENFP, there will always be a time when they talk about world issues, wars, starvation etc (think jodie foster)

ISFPs are more in touch with their bodies than INFPs so it's actually less likely that they'd be "paranoid over diseases and stuff."

lecky

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This thread makes me think I am an ISFP, but I absolutely cannot relate to Se. I wish I could, I am always in my head, never in the moment. I also dress like a sensor if that makes any sense...it doesn't come natural, I started after making friends with an ESFP, I admired how put together she always looked. I do not write in a poetic manner at all, but I do find writing an easier way to communicate especially when I'm feeling emotional. With the right crowd I can be really loud and silly, it just takes a while and I must feel comfortable (unless I'm drunk, then I'm Mrs. Extrovert). I can be a little intense and not take life as it comes. I think over time I have become more jaded or cynical because real life is not what I expected. I have always been idealistic. Idk.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, my sister's an INFP and compared to her I'm:

-More aggressive(the kid HATES fights, I'm more comfortable with them)
-Sterner
-More closed minded(My Fi manifests itself as "These are my beliefs, which I have derived solely from within myself, they are right, yours are wrong, I am the pinnacle of my own brand of morality; a morality which I will now shove down your throat!"
Her Fi manifests itself as, "These are my beliefs, which I have derived not only from within but also from thinking about the perspectives of others, take them or leave them, just don't try to sway me on them or I will be upset.")

-More realistic(although she's oddly much less idealistic about romance than I am)
-Less trusting(I often get mad at her for giving people the benefit of the doubt too often rather than trusting common sense)
-More impulsive(I'm not super impulsive, but compared to her I do seem much more rash)
-Less altruistic(I'm horridly selfish, she's extremely giving)

Basically, I see ISFP as a more grounded, jaded version of INFP, like an INFP who's had their bubble burst. I am very idealistic about quite a few things, but my sister absolutely confounds me/ blows me out of the water with the all encompassing nature of her idealism. She's not just idealistic in certain areas of her life like I am, she's idealistic about almost, if not absolutely, everything.

A lot of this sounds like 9 vs 4 Fi. I'm far more aggressive than my e9 ISFP step-dad, for instance.