• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] ENFJ problem

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm don't Fe doms have a tendency to accept the social conscience and social values as the unquestionable and self-evident truth of things?

You could try beating them at their own game. Make them feel they are falling short. Look one in the eye with a straight face and tell them that you are very disappointed in them.

I think you have to be Fi-Dom to play this game.
Fi indifference kills ENFJs. I have one ENFJ male friend who enjoys suggesting music. I indulge him there as he does have good taste. But I come back with honest reviews. If its not that great I tell him he is in danger of tarnishing his reputation. I express how unimpressed I am. Instead of me being "directed" it's more like he's working to please me.

Standuble

I think you have to be Fi-Dom to play this game.
Fi indifference kills ENFJs. I have one ENFJ male friend who enjoys suggesting music. I indulge him there as he does have good taste. But I come back with honest reviews. If its not that great I tell him he is in danger of tarnishing his reputation. I express how unimpressed I am. Instead of me being "directed" it's more like he's working to please me.

Did he bite back with negative and critical remarks afterwards?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't know, the first case sounds like ENFJ fail to me. If everything functioning right they should be very insightful and good at understanding other people's tastes and interests.

Frankly, the person who pulls that crap on me the most is a ESTP. She's always telling me I would LOVE this or I would REALLY ENJOY this, and it's always ridiculously wrong. I stand there dumbstruck, thinking, :mad: "WTF?! No, I would not LOVE that, because it's the complete opposite of what I LOVE. How can you even say that?! Do you know anything about me at all?". Really what she's saying is, "this is what I LOVE, and I can't imagine the possibility that you would think differently". It's really self-centred and insulting. I hate when people make bold assertions about what my tastes are, and they're completely wrong. If you don't know me well, don't make wild claims that you do. And even more importantly, don't project your shit on me. :dont:

kfarb

The other day I yelled at my INFJ friend for no damn reason. He was sitting on my right being his usually free spirit self, and ENFJ was hovering in the kitchen. I could feel his judgement.

For some reason I felt he didn't approve. And INFJ kept fucking talking and being himself while I was in front of ENFJ.

So at the end of the day I went crazy and yelled at the INFJ getting him to back off and stop talking to me. But then I realized I only did that because ENFJ wanted me to. So now I'm mad at ENFJ.

I feel like a crazy person. Can someone explain to me what's going on?

I feel like this is a good representation of both sides of the coin with Fe: the external judging side that the ENFJ showed, and the caving to external judgment that you showed.

Don't get me wrong, us Fi users can be pretty damn judgmental too, but it's in the "well *I* wouldn't do that" high-and-mighty sense instead of the "you shouldn't do that" outward expectation sense.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I noticed, that Fe do this really often. I have this ESFJ friend and if I don't like music she does I am wierd, if I don't like clothes she does I have a terrible taste, if someone trys to argue with her and explain another point of view, there is no way she would ever accept anything else than her opinion no matter how hard you try to reason with her...she would just think you're wierd.. Why EFJs? :shrug:

I experienced something similar when I was dating an ESFJ. :shock:

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To prevent this from becoming another thread where everyone complains about Fe-doms for judging them, I'll step in for the sake of my ESFJ bestie. I'll defend that girl to the end of the earth.

She used to do this with me, I think it's up to how much time you spend around them. She used to think a lot of my beliefs, tastes, etc were weird but, being the ENFP I am, I was totally cool with that weirdness. I just responded with "well that's just me." Over time she got used to my straying off the beaten path and started to join in as well (one time we went around a Target wearing like 5 bras at once and panties on our heads). If you're just upfront about yourself and become close enough with them they'll totally accept you for who you are and appreciate your "weirdness." I think too often the initial "judginess" of ESFJs (and ENFJs) push them away from people who could actually be good friends with them an cause them to gravitate towards like-minded individuals. That isn't good because ESFJs can really benefit from being around different kinds of people - helps develop their Ne open-mindedness and makes them even more fun to be around when socializing.

In your friend's case, help her build some Ne. :alttongue: It can take a while for them to come around but if you're close enough to them they'll genuinely hear you out.

I think of it more as trying to guarantee the most amount of happiness for the most amount of people. If a social value is more detrimental than beneficial to the people around them they're more likely to fight back.

My ESFJ friend is far away from being this stereotype of traditionally thinking SJ. She's pretty crazy punk/rocker, hippie, grunger girl and she knows tons of artists, musicians, philosphers...She actually intertuced me to so much interesting people I wouldn't ever know without her. But it's really hard to talk her to do things she does not want to. She's stubborn and reather a leader, than follower so she has this group of Pe friends and she actually told me to do pretty crazy stuff. I remember we used to smoke so much weed together, then go to grocery store and buy 2 toats by credit card. We've been together at most punk/rock shows and concertes... I remember it was her idea to mixed up pills and alcohol, mixed up weed and something, with something then add 2 beers and oh...Have we already tried this? I remember the coolest fucked up crazy parties with her...But those times of mixing alcohol with this and that are unfortunately behind me...Sometimes I miss this level of craziness. :( Oh...And her favorite thing to do is walking barefoot thorugh the center of our city and she doesn't care she looks like a total homeless :D ... She says it helps her to feel more freedom :D

G

garbage

^for that matter, I'm wondering what sort of ass-backward ENFJ doesn't know that people don't usually like to be told what they will and will not like? That one of the "social protocols" is showing at least a modicum of respect for personal taste?

If these are the sort of ENFJ friends that you guys have, I might recommend getting better ones.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
damn that ENFJ infestation like bed bugs can never get rid of them

G

Glycerine

^for that matter, I'm wondering what sort of ass-backward ENFJ doesn't know that people don't usually like to be told what they will and will not like? That one of the "social protocols" is showing at least a modicum of respect for personal taste?

If these are the sort of ENFJ friends that you guys have, I might recommend getting better ones.
Seriously! Skilled Fe is relatively hands off (at least in that sense) from what I noticed. I hang around 3 (possibly 4) Fe doms on a regular basis and none of them ever push that shit on me or it's just a mere recommendation based on past conversations. All of them actually have lives so they don't waste time on that shit.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Did he bite back with negative and critical remarks afterwards?

No, he jumps when I snap my fingers.

Really though, he'll be like, "I'm honored you took the time to check those bands out!". He lays it on thick. That's usually how ENFJs do it. They also tell you they "see you" doing X or being a certain way, as some way to inspire you to "grow". Whenever they do this, I tell them to back me financially and I'll do it. But I really don't mind feeding the ENFJ ego because they are so charming :wubbie: .

The real problem with the ENFJ (or MY problem with them) is when I DO express I like them, then they lose interest. As long as I'm not too interested, there they are....making me music playlists & gushing over me with compliments. But when I show I care, then they're off to charm some other girl who's harder to get.

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
Hhmmm...

For my (and mine no longer) INFP (I think, could be wrong), she was the forceful one with her interests. All she could ever talk about was her beloved musicians. I went along with it for a while (...a long while). I started to resent her strongly because I felt very much ignored. I thought she was the devil trying to destroy my soul (or turn my soul into a pretty, tame porcelain vase with which she could soil with her black and bloody roses).

Usually, I like to enjoy my interests by myself. It's not that I won't share at all; I can and will share it with some. Still, I can't imagine a friend truly appreciating the music that I like (not that it's unique music or anything). But at times I can be quite selfish with my truly treasured music. (...I wish that there was another word for music that began with a T, lol).

And I agree with OA's point. I don't feel comfortable when people show a lot of "ooie gooie" appreciation for me (even it is genuine); I understand that you can appreciate me without showing it. Honestly though, it puts too much on me and I don't like to see myself as someone who needs the "INTENSE" attention of another human.

...Just don't force me to listen to things THAT I CLEARLY DO NOT LIKE!

Standuble

No, he jumps when I snap my fingers.

Really though, he'll be like, "I'm honored you took the time to check those bands out!". He lays it on thick. That's usually how ENFJs do it. They also tell you they "see you" doing X or being a certain way, as some way to inspire you to "grow". Whenever they do this, I tell them to back me financially and I'll do it. But I really don't mind feeding the ENFJ ego because they are so charming :wubbie: .

The real problem with the ENFJ (or MY problem with them) is when I DO express I like them, then they lose interest. As long as I'm not too interested, there they are....making me music playlists & gushing over me with compliments. But when I show I care, then they're off to charm some other girl who's harder to get.

Hmm, I was like this when I was a teenager where I would somehow manage to charm a woman into being attracted to me (I blame the Ne) and then bail on them just vefore the point of no return/becoming suddenly indifferent. I had been attracted to them at the time however. I suspect this isn't really a type issue per se, they're probably just a bit immature: in their case they don't know or trust their own feelings. Older ones would be better in this respect. I don't think I know of any ENFJs myself though so I'm guessing sadly.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm, I was like this when I was a teenager where I would somehow manage to charm a woman into being attracted to me (I blame the Ne) and then bail on them just vefore the point of no return/becoming suddenly indifferent. I had been attracted to them at the time however. I suspect this isn't really a type issue per se, they're probably just a bit immature: in their case they don't know or trust their own feelings. Older ones would be better in this respect. I don't think I know of any ENFJs myself though so I'm guessing sadly.

Immature & not knowing his own feelings, perhaps. But I'm talking about a man in his mid 30s here... not a teenager. I have witnessed this in other ENFJs also.

This is a non-issue now, as whatever silly crush I had on this ENFJ years ago was, well, years ago. Once I caught onto the push-pull dynamic (quite sure this is a 4w3 ENFJ also, a somewhat rare breed), I let go of my end of the rope.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Don't get me wrong, us Fi users can be pretty damn judgmental too, but it's in the "well *I* wouldn't do that" high-and-mighty sense instead of the "you shouldn't do that" outward expectation sense.

In all seriousness, it was a breath of fresh air to have a Fi person come out and say this. I was wondering whether I should say something here to that effect or not, but you beat me to that.

I have definitely, personally, IRL known INFPs and ENFPs to be judgemental, sometimes even excessively so. To attribute being judgemental solely to Fe is, quite frankly, at such massive odds with my own experience that I find it hard to believe how someone could even make such a claim.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
To prevent this from becoming another thread where everyone complains about Fe-doms for judging them, I'll step in for the sake of my ESFJ bestie. I'll defend that girl to the end of the earth.

She used to do this with me, I think it's up to how much time you spend around them. She used to think a lot of my beliefs, tastes, etc were weird but, being the ENFP I am, I was totally cool with that weirdness. I just responded with "well that's just me." Over time she got used to my straying off the beaten path and started to join in as well (one time we went around a Target wearing like 5 bras at once and panties on our heads). If you're just upfront about yourself and become close enough with them they'll totally accept you for who you are and appreciate your "weirdness." I think too often the initial "judginess" of ESFJs (and ENFJs) push them away from people who could actually be good friends with them an cause them to gravitate towards like-minded individuals. That isn't good because ESFJs can really benefit from being around different kinds of people - helps develop their Ne open-mindedness and makes them even more fun to be around when socializing.

Yes, yes, yes. This has been my experience, only from the other side. My best friends have always been NFs. I would always be so embarrassed when they did things like this public and initially try to get them to "be normal" (whatever the heck that means). But eventually I would wear down and join and it would be fabulous.

In my experience, my desire to cling to social norms has been rooted in fear of rejection. My criticism of other's behavior is often an attempt to feel more "normal" myself, not an attempt to change others. because despite my best efforts I don't feel like I fit in to social conventions myself.