• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Is INFP the "perfect" type? - All hail the idiosyncratic dreamers of new worlds!

Is INFP the "perfect" type?

• Total voters
N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Nah, INFJ's are the perfect type. We do spend like 90% of our time striving for perfection.

But you guys are the second most perfectionistic. And if there is such a thing as a ranking (which I don't actually think) then they are up there. :)

Edit: *INTJ's are the third most perfectionistic.

Wow..

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If INFJs are the perfect type then why do you have to spend 90% of your time striving for it?

Everyone starts out with an unconditional kind of perfection. Then people develop it into the conditional kind. I think INFPs' perfectionism is more narrowly focused.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This doesn't answer my question...

Well I was joking of course. I don't believe some types are better or worse than others.

But if I was to believe such a thing, this is how it would work: INFJ's start out with a basic level of virtue and good qualities which is at or above that of the others, and then spend the most time developing it, therefore reaching the highest level. And of course their strengths are better than all the others.

Edit: But I was taking the OP to mean (out of political correctness) asking about being perfectionistic, in which case it would go INFJ, INFP, INTJ.

Standuble

Well I was joking of course. I don't believe some types are better or worse than others.

But if I was to believe such a thing, this is how it would work: INFJ's start out with a basic level of virtue and good qualities which is at or above that of the others, and then spend the most time developing it, therefore reaching the highest level. And of course their strengths are better than all the others.

Edit: But I was taking the OP to mean (out of political correctness) asking about being perfectionistic, in which case it would go INFJ, INFP, INTJ.

Thanks for the answer (though in this case "virtue" and "good qualities" require definition and the notion that INFJs would automatically excel in them requires a degree of scrutiny).

My impression of RW's OP was that the INFP is simply the type which encompasses the areas he values the most - a perfect formula or perfect storm if you will. However the view is built from an individual desire and nothing else. In time his views may shift and so will his conclusion. In the end the INFP type never experienced any perfection, just a favouring opinion of their skills.

Lark

I think you're awesome RW but its not reduceable to your type.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My impression of RW's OP was that the INFP is simply the type which encompasses the areas he values the most - a perfect formula or perfect storm if you will. However the view is built from an individual desire and nothing else. In time his views may shift and so will his conclusion. In the end the INFP type never experienced any perfection, just a favouring opinion of their skills.

I actually value the "constructivist" NT approach over the "imaginative" NF one, as the former uses a system, and the latter uses a flow. I much prefer the idea of being a builder rather than a swimmer.

But hey, I made a pretty convinving argument for INFP being the best right?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think you're awesome RW but its not reduceable to your type.

Yes, I'm well aware that people of any type have promise to do great things in different zones. But I've found that we often learn much from asking fool's questions.

Standuble

I actually value the "constructivist" NT approach over the "imaginative" NF one, as the former uses a system, and the latter uses a flow. I much prefer the idea of being a builder rather than a swimmer.

But hey, I made a pretty convinving argument for INFP being the best right?

NFs most certainly use systems also but I get what you are saying.

Lark

Yes, I'm well aware that people of any type have promise to do great things in different zones. But I've found that we often learn much from asking fool's questions.

I definitely think that you're a type apart, you remind me of how Gingko/Mistic Potato were when they were first posting on the forum years ago when I first visited. Though he seems to have changed a lot since then and I dont know if its all type related.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
NFs most certainly use systems also but I get what you are saying.

I was thinking while I was posting that system wasn't the best word, but the basic point was I guess about establishing with reasoning being a more designing way.

Maybe we could also say that NTs have values just like NFs do, but it's just that it may be emphasized more or in different ways for NFs, but ya, good point.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I love INFPs. I was raised by one, and I seem to attract them as friends. I definitely wouldn't call them perfect though. They can be flakey and noncommittal. But, they're also very empathetic and wonderful listeners. Both of which I desperately in need in friends.

James W

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are INFP's the perfect type?

Wow, far from it, I think. But then again, what MBTI type is, really?

I mean, don't get me wrong, from what I've witnessed in the typology community or just real life in general, INFP's are often complimented on showcasing their inner warmth and understanding in very subtle ways and are a great friend to confide in once you gain their trust, (and as an INFP myself, I appreciate these particular sentiments greatly.) But still, you gotta face reality and realise that their total lack of Se/Ni means they'll oftentimes come across of a bit too idealistic and become more interested in the general idea of self improvement rather than talking the necessary, decisive steps to do so, resulting in a front, which allows others to believe they're well in touch with their hopes and ambitions when deep down, they know within themselves that they could be doing so much more to reach that point of self contentment, which makes them far from perfect in an objective sense.

Could it be that inner conflict between Fi + Ne/Si + Te that values spontaneity and authenticity paired with the need to be valuable to society and live a straight laced, "by the book" lifestyle? Alienation through eccentricity is a hard thing to face when you're genuinely concerned with what others think of you as a person and take criticism to heart, resulting in that awful grey area known as hesitation, which can lead to a lot of dark thoughts and wasted days, or at least in my experience anyway.

Or maybe we just talk too much. Over analysis of any situation isn't likely to fix things if something needs doing, be it a long or short term solution to a problem.

All I know is, INFPs respond tremendously to positive reinforcement when criticism is constructive, (providing silly things like narcissism and complacency don't get in the way,) and if they can just harness and reciprocate that positive energy to those were kind enough to provide it in the first place, they can become a force to be reckoned with in their journey to make life a pretty awesome place to live through.

Just my two cents anyway. I love the thought of being labelled as an "idiosyncratic dreamer of the new world" though. :D Makes me feel we all just gather around in a darkened room as monoliths talkin' bout the differences between altruism and nihilism n' shit. But I'd say we've still got a long way to go before we can be labelled as anything close to "perfect." Actions speak louder than words as the saying goes.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My argument for INFP potentially being the perfect type:

1. Boundless Imaginations
2. Free Spirits
3. High Ethics
4. Idealistic Visionaries
5. Authentic Personalities
6. Seeking Wisdom
7. Individual Philosophies
8. Understanding Stories
9. True Love
10. Magical Experience

So folks, what do you think: Is INFP the "perfect" type?
All hail the idiosyncratic dreamers of new worlds!

None of the above is valued by like 99% of humanity.

You forgot refined aesthetes & talented creatives also. It's not as played up in our profiles as ISFPs, but it's strongly indicated by our common job preferences, typical interests, and famous people prototypes. We're underrated there (well, everywhere), as far as stereotypes go.

As long as we keep words like "nice" out of this, it's really all good though.

Nah, INFJ's are the perfect type. We do spend like 90% of our time striving for perfection.

You may have been joking, but deep down, INFJs seem to believe this, and those MBTI profiles do a hell of a job selling your BS to everyone else. If this thread was about INFJs, it would be backed with praise from others & false humility from INFJs. Only an INFP will really try to convince you they (the INFP) actually a defective ass. Well, maybe some ISFPs too.

Last edited:

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You may have been joking, but deep down, INFJs seem to believe this, and those MBTI profiles do a hell of a job selling your BS to everyone else. If this thread was about INFJs, it would be backed with praise from others & false humility from INFJs. Only an INFP will really try to convince you they're actually a defective ass. Well, maybe some ISFPs too.

Do you mean the INFPs and some ISFPs would try to convince the INFJs that they're actually defective asses? Or am I misreading?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you mean the INFPs and some ISFPs would try to convince the INFJs that they're actually defective asses? Or am I misreading?

Misread. IFPs would make that case for themselves in a thread about their own type being perfect, as evidenced already.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Misread. IFPs would make that case for themselves in a thread about their own type being perfect, as evidenced already.

Ahh, I see. I was gonna say maybe a lil' ENFP could join in and unleash some repressed fury against these "morally superior" INFJs. :devil:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ahh, I see. I was gonna say maybe a lil' ENFP could join in and unleash some repressed fury against these "morally superior" INFJs. :devil:

ENFPs are the only ones to be getting our backs :D . But normally you guys worship at the altar of the Ni-doms, so this is unusual :huh: .
Seriously though, this thread made by a supposed INTP is suspect.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ENFPs are the only ones to be getting our backs :D . But normally you guys worship at the altar of the Ni-doms, so this is unusual :huh: .

But one can only take so much of the classic INFJ "I feel like I'm a more evolved human being because *insert reason applicable to almost every human being here*" or the classic INTJ "everyone other than me is an idiot so I'm always right" shenanigans. :boohoo:

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Only to an INFP. Too bad they're so self-discerning and often type 4 that they'd never admit it :D