• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Am I Overly Confident in my Typing?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok, so since I've typed myself as ENFP 7w6 2w1 9w1 sx/so, I really haven't turned back.

I was questioning 4 as a heart-fix for a moment. I feel like I may have been born with 4 in me, but have been kind of nurtured into being a 2. My mom is a really "helpy" and "self-sacrificy" person, and I have always seen that as a positive quality. Since there are a lot of other qualities about myself I grew up kind of ashamed of (messy, disorganized, lazy, loud, etc.), maybe I adopted a 2-ish approach to like ease some of my guilt? I dunno.

Other than that, I really do feel confident in my type. Which is why I just kinda wanna check myself with some outside perspective from you all. I know many of you are much more knowledgeable about typology than I am.

I always read about how SO many people are mistyped and I don't want to be foolishly prancing around life thinking I've got it all figured out.

Soo... any thoughts? I'm interested to hear them.

S

Stansmith

I wouldn't be surprised. Your vibe seems a bit more 'sullen' and withdrawn than a lot of triple positive-outlook ENFPs, but obviously, that's a vague assessment of type. Not to mention, I'm probably comparing you to 2w3-fixers.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wouldn't be surprised. Your vibe seems a bit more 'sullen' and withdrawn than a lot of triple positive-outlook ENFPs, but obviously, that's a vague assessment of type. Not to mention, I'm probably comparing you to 2w3-fixers.
Whatareya talkin about!? Is it? I don't think it is.

I think it fits nicolita. Have you read 4? Do you relate to it?

kquirk

amateur cartographer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Last time we talked, I thought I we decided on 4.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think 729 fits. The 2w3 fix makes you more agreeable and kindhearted than other sx/so EFPs.

FWIW, I previously mistyped as 749. I think it was because I put a huge emphasis on personal identity and individuality, but in the end it wasn't something I feared not having. It was just something emphasized in my values so this may or may not be the case for you. I don't really see 4's (melo)dramatic tendencies in you. I think it's funny how you started out as 2w3 so/sx 279 when I typed as 7w6 sx/so 749 and over time we gradually swapped types. :D Although I'm still not entirely sure between 7w6 and 2w3. I still lean towards 7w6 but I'm giving 2w3 a try for now. Except you also switched to 2w1. Oh well. Anyway I think your current typing seems correct, but a little healthy skepticism never hurt anyone.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think 729 fits. The 2w3 fix makes you more agreeable and kindhearted than other sx/so EFPs.

FWIW, I previously mistyped as 749. I think it was because I put a huge emphasis on personal identity and individuality, but in the end it wasn't something I feared not having. It was just something emphasized in my values so this may or may not be the case for you. I don't really see 4's (melo)dramatic tendencies in you. I think it's funny how you started out as 2w3 so/sx 279 when I typed as 7w6 sx/so 749 and over time we gradually swapped types. :D Although I'm still not entirely sure between 7w6 and 2w3. I still lean towards 7w6 but I'm giving 2w3 a try for now. Except you also switched to 2w1. Oh well. Anyway I think your current typing seems correct, but a little healthy skepticism never hurt anyone.

These are my exact thoughts on the matter, Chanaynay. I definitely have an artsy like I'm an individual I don't wanna be like anyone else, watch me express myself thing going on. My personal identity is something I've always considered very carefully, and taken personally. But like you said, I don't feel scared of losing that. I feel very sure that I'll always be myself, and don't really tend to be melodramatic about things. I do, however, kinda "react" if I'm afraid I'm being viewed as shallow or boring. I'm very nice about it, but I'm very "against" a lot of things that a lot of people love. I don't want to be lumped into a group with people who love those things if I feel that they're not quality and don't represent me. That's making me kinda sound like an asshole, but it's true.

I do know though that ENFPs and 7w6s strive for and value highly authenticity and personal choice. So that may very well be attributed to that.

Also, I've always been kinda 2-ish the more I think about it. Again, this can be hard for me to separate from ENFP and 7w6, but I'm a people pleaser, want to make people feel loved and appreciated, love taking the extra time to make someone feel cared for. I also (I think this is part of my Fi) kind of have an obsession with doing work nobody wants to do. Like being ok with being the one who gets the short end of the stick. I feel like that's real service, and something I'm happy to do for others.

soooo....I dunno.

I definitely get the guilt of a 2 though. Hard.

But, reading about 4 right now, I really do feel a lot of those ways as well. I guess I don't feel like I'm different from everyone else (I'm a big like we are one thinker), but I do maintain my preferences and tastes as something personal. I also can focus on my differences and weaknesses and become melancholy. I also definitely tend to hide my weaknesses and feel ashamed of them.

I think, overall, 2 describes more of my motives in life though. Connecting with and helping others is a really big theme in my life. My identity's important and I see myself not so much as different from others, but as my own individual which I hope for every person. I just really want people to see me for me without any assumptions.

ehh, kiinda rambled there. Hope someone can make some sense of that. Time to make coffee.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I do, however, kinda "react" if I'm afraid I'm being viewed as shallow or boring.

That sounds more like a 7-ish issue. :laugh: I think 4s are more sensitive to comments about being bland, having no personality or not having a big personality, etc. It's a very fine line but I think you'll get what I mean. I think 7s, image-wise, also vary a little depending on instinct. Sexual 7s may want to be seen as exciting, stimulating, interesting, fascinating, etc. Social 7s may want more to be seen as loyal, selfless (countergluttony), upbeat, etc. Self-pres 7s...not so sure because I don't think I've encountered many besides Jenna Marbles. Perhaps more realistic and straight-shooting? [MENTION=13550]Jaqcues Le Paul[/MENTION] wanna help us out here?

I'm very nice about it, but I'm very "against" a lot of things that a lot of people love. I don't want to be lumped into a group with people who love those things if I feel that they're not quality and don't represent me. That's making me kinda sound like an asshole, but it's true.

You are an ENFP my friend. :yes:

I do know though that ENFPs and 7w6s strive for and value highly authenticity and personal choice. So that may very well be attributed to that.

I agree, Fi is a very 4-like function especially considering the inner sensitivity we hold in ourselves.

Also, I've always been kinda 2-ish the more I think about it. Again, this can be hard for me to separate from ENFP and 7w6, but I'm a people pleaser, want to make people feel loved and appreciated, love taking the extra time to make someone feel cared for. I also (I think this is part of my Fi) kind of have an obsession with doing work nobody wants to do. Like being ok with being the one who gets the short end of the stick. I feel like that's real service, and something I'm happy to do for others.

Hmm, perhaps your fix is actually 2w3>2w1? Appreciating the whole beauty of doing unfavorable work seems like a w3-ish quality. Then again, the act of self-sacrifice itself seems more 2w1-ish. :thinking: But I agree you have a 2 fix after reading this, especially if you identified as core 2 at the beginning.

I definitely get the guilt of a 2 though. Hard.

Sadly, getting other people to love you for the lack of love you feel for yourself isn't always the best option. :( I somewhat relate to it, especially over 4 and 3 but I never really struggled with the self-hate that revolves around the heart center. I think that was a good way of proving 7w6>2w3. Even if I was a healthy 2w3 that loved myself I never really struggled with it in the past.

But, reading about 4 right now, I really do feel a lot of those ways as well. I guess I don't feel like I'm different from everyone else (I'm a big like we are one thinker), but I do maintain my preferences and tastes as something personal. I also can focus on my differences and weaknesses and become melancholy. I also definitely tend to hide my weaknesses and feel ashamed of them.

I think that's just something that sometimes comes with lots of introspection. I relate to what you're saying as well. :hug:

I think, overall, 2 describes more of my motives in life though. Connecting with and helping others is a really big theme in my life. My identity's important and I see myself not so much as different from others, but as my own individual which I hope for every person. I just really want people to see me for me without any assumptions.

Another ENFP-ish sentiment. I think the bold makes for a good quote or life motto. :hifive:

Starry

Hey nic!!!

I've only read the OP but the way my memory has been lately I need to post this before I forget. Forgive me if it has already been addressed.

The way I see it...if 4 is your heart fix...then there's no way in hell you are an sx dom. You have to explain that *open* quality of yours somehow... and if you were to truly settle on 4 as the best fit...I wouldn't let you do it until you also started listing your type as so/sx.

^^What has been interesting for me though...is I actually think you are sx/so (it's interesting just because you don't have as hard of an edge as most sx/so's do.) This is why I believe you currently have yourself typed correctly. I believe e2 is your true heart fix.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
@nicolita,

FWIW, I actually initially identified as 4w3, as my core type, and have since moved from that through a few other ideas to 6w7-2w3-9w1. I had some of the same thoughts as you, which was that I "feel" like a 4 in many ways. Artistic, aesthetic, individualist, moody, angsty. But as far as I can tell, you are very similar to me in that you do not see in the same way a 4 does even though you share a lot of 4 "content".

In terms of individuality, I think that's common to 7s in general. Most seem to have a good grip on being themselves and enjoying it. And certainly all NFPs share the internal focus on defining and expressing who they are via choice, both internal and external. Also w6 will give you a little reactive/defensive quality, so note that if you're fighting to be perceived fairly and correctly, that would be a very w6ish sort of behavior.

From everything you've described thus far, your fixes sound accurate.

@Chanaynay do you feel like taking pleasure in unfavorable work is a w3 thing? I would have thought it was more of a w1 thing, like being the most ethical person and taking one for the team. You're right about the "beauty" phrasing but I have to admit that while I see doing thankless work as a lovely gesture, I don't know how often I'd be willing to really actually do it. Maybe if I was feeling extra charitable or if I could persuade a friend to help me. And then I'd still probably tell people about it because I'd desire recognition. That's selfish of me, but I guess at least I'm honest about it? :tongue:

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
@Chanaynay do you feel like taking pleasure in unfavorable work is a w3 thing? I would have thought it was more of a w1 thing, like being the most ethical person and taking one for the team. You're right about the "beauty" phrasing but I have to admit that while I see doing thankless work as a lovely gesture, I don't know how often I'd be willing to really actually do it. Maybe if I was feeling extra charitable or if I could persuade a friend to help me. And then I'd still probably tell people about it because I'd desire recognition. That's selfish of me, but I guess at least I'm honest about it? :tongue:

Hmm, I guess it depends on your motives for actually participating in it. :D I agree that I don't see or find myself willingly participating in thankless work that often and I would definitely tell people about it for recognition as well so I guess the way [MENTION=18819]nicolita[/MENTION] said it (real service that makes her happy to do) seems more 2w1-ish although I think hearing her intentions behind it would be helpful. :) I genuinely want to do things for people but I also desire some attention and praise for it - the whole "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" thing. Having my warm intentions go unappreciated makes me feel like I was used like a tool or something, while I would assume a 2w1 would be more okay with it because it was the right thing to do either way. So where nicolita stands on that situation should be a tell to whether she's w3 or w1. :yes:

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm, I guess it depends on your motives for actually participating in it. :D I agree that I don't see or find myself willingly participating in thankless work that often and I would definitely tell people about it for recognition as well so I guess the way [MENTION=18819]nicolita[/MENTION] said it (real service that makes her happy to do) seems more 2w1-ish although I think hearing her intentions behind it would be helpful. :) I genuinely want to do things for people but I also desire some attention and praise for it - the whole "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" thing. Having my warm intentions go unappreciated makes me feel like I was used like a tool or something, while I would assume a 2w1 would be more okay with it because it was the right thing to do either way. So where nicolita stands on that situation should be a tell to whether she's w3 or w1. :yes:

Well, let me try to explain.

I definitely think I approach it with the "it was the right thing to do anyway" mindset. It's nice to be recognized, but I really do get like internal satisfaction from helping others and don't feel like I expect them to help me in return. Aside from that, when I read about 2w3, I picture someone like organizing people to help or like rallying people. That whole idea kinda freaks me out to be honest. I don't have any desire to like manage people or try to convince them to to participate in any kind of activity. I much prefer a more discrete, thankless way of helping because that makes me feel better about it. I like to do it on a private, personal level. The more custom-tailored the help, the better.

I seriously loved being a waitress because I enjoyed being patient with people, giving them options when they didn't realize they had them, and making special orders so the person got *exactly* what they wanted. Of course I was working for tips, but that really didn't affect the joy I got out of my job (the tips weren't that great, because I did tend to get a little frazzled and overwhelmed when I got busy, and sometimes made mistakes as a result). Also the same reason I choose to work in a low-income school. I just like the thankless dirty work lol.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=18819]nicolita[/MENTION],

I think your tritype sounds accurate based on my interactions with you. I do wonder, though, about your instinctual variant. I think you're more likely to be so/sx than sx/so. You have more of an so-dom quality to you than an sx-dom one in that you're vibe is more light and dispersed rather than that focused intensity that sx-doms have.

You also seem to have a more social orientation in that you seem to focus a lot of your attention on the comfort and well-being of the group, as opposed to in a one-to-one fashion. I'm contrasting you with myself in that my two fix tends to reveal itself more in my intimate connections. I have that twoish desire to serve others as well as to love and be loved, but it's pretty much reserved for my intimates. Whereas, I get the impression from you that in an ideal world for you, you'd be surrounded by love in a more universal, communal sense.

Anyways. That's just my take.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=18819]nicolita[/MENTION],

I think your tritype sounds accurate based on my interactions with you. I do wonder, though, about your instinctual variant. I think you're more likely to be so/sx than sx/so. You have more of an so-dom quality to you than an sx-dom one in that you're vibe is more light and dispersed rather than that focused intensity that sx-doms have.

You also seem to have a more social orientation in that you seem to focus a lot of your attention on the comfort and well-being of the group, as opposed to in a one-to-one fashion. I'm contrasting you with myself in that my two fix tends to reveal itself more in my intimate connections. I have that twoish desire to serve others as well as to love and be loved, but it's pretty much reserved for my intimates. Whereas, I get the impression from you that in an ideal world for you, you'd be surrounded by love in a more universal, communal sense.

Anyways. That's just my take.

I gotta say at this point, I think my instinctual variant is the part I'm least sure of. I was originally typed so/sx, but switched.

The bolded part is absolutely true lol.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well, let me try to explain.

I definitely think I approach it with the "it was the right thing to do anyway" mindset. It's nice to be recognized, but I really do get like internal satisfaction from helping others and don't feel like I expect them to help me in return. Aside from that, when I read about 2w3, I picture someone like organizing people to help or like rallying people. That whole idea kinda freaks me out to be honest. I don't have any desire to like manage people or try to convince them to to participate in any kind of activity. I much prefer a more discrete, thankless way of helping because that makes me feel better about it. I like to do it on a private, personal level. The more custom-tailored the help, the better.

I seriously loved being a waitress because I enjoyed being patient with people, giving them options when they didn't realize they had them, and making special orders so the person got *exactly* what they wanted. Of course I was working for tips, but that really didn't affect the joy I got out of my job (the tips weren't that great, because I did tend to get a little frazzled and overwhelmed when I got busy, and sometimes made mistakes as a result). Also the same reason I choose to work in a low-income school. I just like the thankless dirty work lol.

Yeah...2w1. :laugh: I could go more in-depth but I trust that you know why.

I must admit I do get an so/sx-ish vibe from you like WUR was saying. At the same time your posts seem less socially filtered and more raw than mine, since we'd have almost the exact same type if you were so/sx. Have you ever heard of subwings? Perhaps finding out your subwings could provide some insight. :yes:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/enneagram/54152-subwings.html

The descriptions are nice but some are a tad vague, I think it's basically defining the extent which your dominant wing is stronger than your secondary(?) wing. For example, I rarely have 8-ish qualities and am more support-oriented than most 7s so I'm 7w6(sw6w5) rather than 7w6(sw8w7). I also think that if your subwing is your secondary(??? swear I'm forgetting the proper term) wing then your core type is emphasized more. For example, I'm 7w6(sw6w5) and [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] is 7w6(sw8w7) and he seems a lot more 7 than I do probably because the w7 in sw8w7 highlights even more 7-ish qualities. Another example would be a 2w1(sw1w9) seeming a lot more duty and ideals-oriented than a 2w1(sw3w2) who would seem a lot more like a 2-ish 2w1.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah...2w1. :laugh: I could go more in-depth but I trust that you know why.

I must admit I do get an so/sx-ish vibe from you like WUR was saying. At the same time your posts seem less socially filtered and more raw than mine, since we'd have almost the exact same type if you were so/sx. Have you ever heard of subwings? Perhaps finding out your subwings could provide some insight. :yes:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/enneagram/54152-subwings.html

The descriptions are nice but some are a tad vague, I think it's basically defining the extent which your dominant wing is stronger than your secondary(?) wing. For example, I rarely have 8-ish qualities and am more support-oriented than most 7s so I'm 7w6(sw6w5) rather than 7w6(sw8w7). I also think that if your subwing is your secondary(??? swear I'm forgetting the proper term) wing then your core type is emphasized more. For example, I'm 7w6(sw6w5) and [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] is 7w6(sw8w7) and he seems a lot more 7 than I do probably because the w7 in sw8w7 highlights even more 7-ish qualities. Another example would be a 2w1(sw1w9) seeming a lot more duty and ideals-oriented than a 2w1(sw3w2) who would seem a lot more like a 2-ish 2w1.

Well I started by going back to the instinctual variants. I just read about so and sx again to try to re-assess myself in those areas.

The thing with so is: I really don't care about like my place in the group and feel zero responsibility for how everyone feels or like the state of the group. I take care with what I say with a purely individual mindset. I know individuals can get hurt, offended, take things the wrong way, and I really think about like every single person as someone whose feelings are important to me. I love it when I get the feeling that a person I'm interacting with kinda can take a joke or is cool with a little fun cuz then I can throw all that out and just connect with em. My intentions in a group are always to find my person or people within them. Like ok, who's my friend here? Who's on my page or will be a good candidate for a connection. Without that, I rarely enjoy myself at social events where I'm left like awkwardly floating from group to group.

The sx thing sounds really good to me. I'm definitely an intensity/connection junkie. I want to like dive into people and for them to dive into me. This line specifically "Sexual types are focused on having intense, intimate interactions and experiences with others and with the environment to give them a powerful sense of "aliveness." is like dead on to me.

Soo...I guess the more I think about it, the more sx I feel.

Ok, so now for subwings. I didn't see 7s listed on that post you linked to, and I gotta admit, I feel a little overwhelmed by that whole concept haha. How'd you find yours?

(also, Chanaynay, just wanna thank you for workin with me like this. you're a really cool dude, and I'm glad to know ya :hug: )

EDIT: hm, ok forgot to address my "everybody hold hands and work together" thing. I also REALLY love culture and like watching people unite over things. But I don't feel like I direct my energy into investing in those kinds of things. I like to watch them happen naturally, and do my part to like contribute, but I definitely focus my efforts on personal connections. lol, not sure if this is making any sense. I feel like I'm talking in circles.

SHIT! Double Edit: lol just found all the subwing descriptions. Looking into em.

kquirk

amateur cartographer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
you think she's a 749?

Yeah, I wan't really looking at it from the tritype perspective, just as a 4 v. 2 question. I thought that 4 is more who she IS, and 2 is who she WANTS to be, because of her upbringing, her mom, etc. But hearing more about it, some of the 4-ness is explained by her being an ENFP, and the 7w6 fear of getting trapped in a rut, seeing the walls close in. [MENTION=18819]nicolita[/MENTION] doesn't fear losing her identity; she fears that it will be crushed under the weight of the world and its expectations. She is a 2 at heart, even if some of the outward manifestations of this come from unhealthy places (trying to be what the world expects her to be as a "good woman").

wolfy

awsm
No, you are not overconfident. Make up your own mind. It isn't an exact science.

Starry

Well I started by going back to the instinctual variants. I just read about so and sx again to try to re-assess myself in those areas.

The thing with so is: I really don't care about like my place in the group and feel zero responsibility for how everyone feels or like the state of the group. I take care with what I say with a purely individual mindset. I know individuals can get hurt, offended, take things the wrong way, and I really think about like every single person as someone whose feelings are important to me. I love it when I get the feeling that a person I'm interacting with kinda can take a joke or is cool with a little fun cuz then I can throw all that out and just connect with em. My intentions in a group are always to find my person or people within them. Like ok, who's my friend here? Who's on my page or will be a good candidate for a connection. Without that, I rarely enjoy myself at social events where I'm left like awkwardly floating from group to group.

The sx thing sounds really good to me. I'm definitely an intensity/connection junkie. I want to like dive into people and for them to dive into me. This line specifically "Sexual types are focused on having intense, intimate interactions and experiences with others and with the environment to give them a powerful sense of "aliveness." is like dead on to me.

Soo...I guess the more I think about it, the more sx I feel.

Ok, so now for subwings. I didn't see 7s listed on that post you linked to, and I gotta admit, I feel a little overwhelmed by that whole concept haha. How'd you find yours?

(also, Chanaynay, just wanna thank you for workin with me like this. you're a really cool dude, and I'm glad to know ya :hug: )

EDIT: hm, ok forgot to address my "everybody hold hands and work together" thing. I also REALLY love culture and like watching people unite over things. But I don't feel like I direct my energy into investing in those kinds of things. I like to watch them happen naturally, and do my part to like contribute, but I definitely focus my efforts on personal connections. lol, not sure if this is making any sense. I feel like I'm talking in circles.

SHIT! Double Edit: lol just found all the subwing descriptions. Looking into em.

You're 729 and sx dom. This is clear. Your description of working behind the scenes one on one with people though...that seemed a little 7 sx/sp imo... And you do seem the lack the connection to the social bullshit game like Lady X and I do but...What wolfy said :wink: