• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Am I Overly Confident in my Typing?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yep yep I totally relate with her enfp 729 ish sx ness.

Not sure which feels right between sx/so or sx/sp yet

That took me the longest to figure out too because I don't think my sp is strong either.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=18819]nicolita[/MENTION], this may help as well. :yes:

Syn-flow: sp → so → sx → sp
Stackings involved: sp/so → so/sx → sx/sp → sp/so
Direction: Compelled toward people. Acting upon and with others as a born insider i.e.- deeply human.

Contra-flow: sp → sx → so → sp
Stackings involved: sp/sx → sx/so → so/sp → sp/sx
Direction: Compelled against people. Seething belligerent outsiders; 'antisocial', provoking, reverse-flow change catalysts. In some profound sense, rejecting the human condition, their own and/or that of others.

so/sx - including, associating, affiliating, networking, incorporating, interconnecting, introducing, unifying, linking, bonding, annexing, cooperating, receiving
sx/so - excluding, eliminating, dividing, separating, contradicting, subverting, confronting, rebuffing, ridiculing, challenging, interrupting, reforming, rupturing

sx/sp - intensifying, escalating, rising, surging, enlivening, invigorating, accelerating, stimulating, energizing, vitalizing, reviving, animating, inspiriting
sp/sx - dulling, calming, quieting, grounding, descending, lowering, dampening, numbing, desensitizing, exhausting, deadening, extinguishing, making still

sp/so - conserving, protecting, maintaining, preserving, supplying, repairing, sustaining, stewarding
so/sp - utilizing, employing, implementing, expending, exercising, spending, capitalizing, expropriating

You can read more here: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/content.php/133-Instinctual-Stackings

Also here are Maitri's descriptions of the three subtypes of 7 which really helped me decide 7w6>2w3: http://personalitycafe.com/type-7-forum-enthusiast/151488-type-7-excerpts-maitri.html

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION], well based on those descriptions, I relate way more to sx/sp than sx/so. Sp isn't sounding terribly unfamiliar when I read it either. Thanks man!

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
Ok, so since I've typed myself as ENFP 7w6 2w1 9w1 sx/so, I really haven't turned back.

I was questioning 4 as a heart-fix for a moment. I feel like I may have been born with 4 in me, but have been kind of nurtured into being a 2. My mom is a really "helpy" and "self-sacrificy" person, and I have always seen that as a positive quality. Since there are a lot of other qualities about myself I grew up kind of ashamed of (messy, disorganized, lazy, loud, etc.), maybe I adopted a 2-ish approach to like ease some of my guilt? I dunno.

Other than that, I really do feel confident in my type. Which is why I just kinda wanna check myself with some outside perspective from you all. I know many of you are much more knowledgeable about typology than I am.

I always read about how SO many people are mistyped and I don't want to be foolishly prancing around life thinking I've got it all figured out.

Soo... any thoughts? I'm interested to hear them.
My ENFP best friend is a 7, and she is distinctly different from you. Definitely could see 4 as a fit for you!

Idk if I could see you as a 2, nicolita. I know a couple of 2s, and they are very in-your-face with their helpfulness. You have a very tolerant but laidback vibe.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My ENFP best friend is a 7, and she is distinctly different from you. Definitely could see 4 as a fit for you!

Idk if I could see you as a 2, nicolita. I know a couple of 2s, and they are very in-your-face with their helpfulness. You have a very tolerant but laidback vibe.

I've really looked into it a lot, and I'm feeling pretty sure of my 2-ness. That laid back vibe might be because of the 9 in me. Any other kinda vibe you're thinking of when you say I could be a 4? Just curious : )

EDIT: Here's a little breakdown of 2v4 that I found that further convinced me that I'm a 2.

Twos tend to move toward others and engage them, sometimes excessively. Fours tend to withdraw from others, while hoping that others will seek them out. Twos look for people to rescue, Fours look for someone to rescue them. Twos are very aware of others' feelings, but tend to be unaware of their own motivations and needs. Fours are highly attuned to their own emotional states, but can fail to recognize their impact on others, and so forth.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
I've really looked into it a lot, and I'm feeling pretty sure of my 2-ness. That laid back vibe might be because of the 9 in me. Any other kinda vibe you're thinking of when you say I could be a 4? Just curious : )

EDIT: Here's a little breakdown of 2v4 that I found that further convinced me that I'm a 2.

Twos tend to move toward others and engage them, sometimes excessively. Fours tend to withdraw from others, while hoping that others will seek them out. Twos look for people to rescue, Fours look for someone to rescue them. Twos are very aware of others' feelings, but tend to be unaware of their own motivations and needs. Fours are highly attuned to their own emotional states, but can fail to recognize their impact on others, and so forth.
Fair dues! Maybe you're healthier than the 2s I know or maybe your ENFP-ness gives it a different flavor!

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
749 now

All in favor say "aye"

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I say NEIGH.

:unicorn:

2w1 fit much more nicely imo. But that's only given my past experience of talking to you and you have been acting a lot less 2ish on here than you were initially and you're a little more responsive to affection than open about giving it, and I thought you were the latter when we first started talking. Maybe your sx-dom butt just seduced me. :wink:

I agree that, no matter how different they are on the whole, that your heart fix is probably either 2w1 or 4w5 though. You seem to have no connection to 3 at all or any need to be "good enough." Any desire for the limelight I see from you just seems ENFP/7ish in nature.

I think I contributed to this thread before about how I used to mistype as 7w6 - 4w3 - 9w1, so I think if you find that post you could read that. Other than that, I have nothing else to add. :shrug:

Something I notice though, is that when someone changes their type their behavior changes along with it. This may even be true for me, you'd have to tell me since I've always felt the same since I've been on here minus some personal growth. I feel like TypeC, as much as I enjoy being here, can make it feel like your type - and consequently the way you behave - is under constant surveillance. And I know as a fellow FP all it is is just annoying to hear one of those damn "just be who you are" lectures because...damn we were hardwired to do that! haha but I'm gonna say that if your change in posting behavior isn't something that naturally occurred in you and you're not feeling comfortable with yourself on here, I'd just stop listening to what other people say and go with what you own gut says, because that's what will feel right.

That whole piece of advice though was just a precautionary measure though don't worry hah, I wouldn't ever doubt your sincerity Nic.

:D

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I say NEIGH.]:unicorn:

2w1 fit much more nicely imo. But that's only given my past experience of talking to you and you have been acting a lot less 2ish on here than you were initially and you're a little more responsive to affection than open about giving it, and I thought you were the latter when we first started talking. Maybe your sx-dom butt just seduced me. :wink:
All very interesting. I think i come into new environments in an especially friendly way. I don't know anyone, and i'm usually interested in making friends and keeping the peace in the mean time. And i'm discovering people too, which i truly love to do. so i can be a bit more like "oh! you are really cool because x!" then, when i get more comfortable, i feel freer to just settle in and express myself. Also, at that point i feel better known and that i know people better, and i am less actively trying to establish friendships and more just hangin out. It feels more natural to me.

also, i was a lot less healthy when i joined too. is it possible that i was disintegrated and acting extra 2-ish? just thought of that actually.

I agree that, no matter how different they are on the whole, that your heart fix is probably either 2w1 or 4w5 though. You seem to have no connection to 3 at all or any need to be "good enough." Any desire for the limelight I see from you just seems ENFP/7ish in nature.
Glad you agree with 4w5 > 4w3. I kinda felt weird because once i settled on 4, i just decided on 4w5 with not a lot of research. Reading about 749 as a tritype really helped put it into context for me, since i am still a strong 7.
I think I contributed to this thread before about how I used to mistype as 7w6 - 4w3 - 9w1, so I think if you find that post you could read that. Other than that, I have nothing else to add. :shrug:
ohh i'll definitely look at that. i didn't remember that.
Something I notice though, is that when someone changes their type their behavior changes along with it. This may even be true for me, you'd have to tell me since I've always felt the same since I've been on here minus some personal growth. I feel like TypeC, as much as I enjoy being here, can make it feel like your type - and consequently the way you behave - is under constant surveillance. And I know as a fellow FP all it is is just annoying to hear one of those damn "just be who you are" lectures because...damn we were hardwired to do that! haha but I'm gonna say that if your change in posting behavior isn't something that naturally occurred in you and you're not feeling comfortable with yourself on here, I'd just stop listening to what other people say and go with what you own gut says, because that's what will feel right.
Yeah, exactly. I don't know that i'll never switch back to 2w1, but i hope if i do, i feel as integrated and comfortable as i do now. Or maybe even more so if i'm hoping, haha!

That whole piece of advice though was just a precautionary measure though don't worry hah, I wouldn't ever doubt your sincerity Nic.

:D
thanks dude. i appreciate all of this.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Keep in mind that 2 integrates into 4 and 4 disintegrates into 2, so it would make sense for you to identify with both types. It's just a matter of looking at whether or not you feel like a 4 when you're thriving and on top of your game, or if you feel like a 2 when you're being stressed.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Keep in mind that 2 integrates into 4 and 4 disintegrates into 2, so it would make sense for you to identify with both types. It's just a matter of looking at whether or not you feel like a 4 when you're thriving and on top of your game, or if you feel like a 2 when you're being stressed.
yeah, this makes a lot of sense to me.
seconded. Or semi-seconded if alternate spellings of 'nay' are taken into consideration.
i just went back and read an old post of yours on this thread, and you were saying you think i'm a 2 and sx/so? is this still true?

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
[MENTION=18819]five sounds[/MENTION]

'Ello there, darling.

Hmm, I was thinking about this thread while I was walking home, and I got so lost in thought that I almost walked into a cab, lol. My earlier post in this thread summarizes my doubts pretty well, though. I don't know you very well yet, but I don't get the impression that you want to fundamentally relate to other people based on meeting their needs and having your needs met, which is hallmark 2. I've seen you do this for short periods of time, but I haven't seen you do this for extended periods of time, which makes it less convincing for me at least.

I do get the impression, though, that it would be hurtful for you to be judged as insensitive or uncaring, which other people who would not take the time to understand you might do unless you acted in a very cookie cutter 2 way. I wonder if you act 2-ish to avoid having those kinds of judgments directed at you.

I never answered your question about what else about you seemed 4-ish to me, and it's difficult to put it into words, but I feel like even what you said in the original post about not wanted to walk around thinking that you had everything figured out about your type whilst being wrong seemed like something that I've seen other 4s on the forum say. And even Chandler commented on how you shouldn't worry about seeming insincere. That kinda stuff is stuff that I don't relate to at all.

I'm not sure, though. These are just my doubts.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
'Ello there, darling.
'ello, lahv.
Hmm, I was thinking about this thread while I was walking home, and I got so lost in thought that I almost walked into a cab, lol. My earlier post in this thread summarizes my doubts pretty well, though. I don't know you very well yet, but I don't get the impression that you want to fundamentally relate to other people based on meeting their needs and having your needs met, which is hallmark 2. I've seen you do this for short periods of time, but I haven't seen you do this for extended periods of time, which makes it less convincing for me at least.
this is true. the thing is, it's primarily at an emotional level for me. which makes me feel 4-ish since i'm like indulgent in feelings and individuality. i do like to do things for people, but it gets tiresome very quickly. i have a big well of love to draw from, but serving others taxes me quickly. while, like exploring/expressing my feelings and diving into myself is restorative, and generates more energy.

I do get the impression, though, that it would be hurtful for you to be judged as insensitive or uncaring, which other people who would not take the time to understand you might do unless you acted in a very cookie cutter 2 way. I wonder if you act 2-ish to avoid having those kinds of judgments directed at you
for sure! this is a big thing for me. doing things for people is a way to show you care and are sensitive to them. i love people, and feel very deeply myself, so i would never want someone to think otherwise. in plain words, i get the feeling i'm a 4 who's afraid of being selfish. but the more comfortable and secure i feel, the more i feel like it's ok for me to be selfish. when i'm in "2-mode", if we can call it that, i always feel a little...sold short? or like not appreciated or seen for who i really am. which a lot of times pushes me into times of self-expression and less attention to the needs/desires of others. in other words, it's less satisfying.

I never answered your question about what else about you seemed 4-ish to me, and it's difficult to put it into words, but I feel like even what you said in the original post about not wanted to walk around thinking that you had everything figured out about your type whilst being wrong seemed like something that I've seen other 4s on the forum say. And even Chandler commented on how you shouldn't worry about seeming insincere. That kinda stuff is stuff that I don't relate to at all.
yeah i know. this can be hard to put into words for me too. the whole integration/disintegration line between 2 and 4 is really piquing my interest right now, because it seems like it may help explain why i relate to both. hmm...

I'm not sure, though. These are just my doubts.
thanks for your input! you hit on a lot of things that are true about me in these respects.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
for sure! this is a big thing for me. doing things for people is a way to show you care and are sensitive to them. i love people, and feel very deeply myself, so i would never want someone to think otherwise. in plain words, i get the feeling i'm a 4 who's afraid of being selfish. but the more comfortable and secure i feel, the more i feel like it's ok for me to be selfish. when i'm in "2-mode", if we can call it that, i always feel a little...sold short? or like not appreciated or seen for who i really am. which a lot of times pushes me into times of self-expression and less attention to the needs/desires of others. in other words, it's less satisfying.
I really get that sense from you. I think it's part of the reason why you want to enable others to be who they really are without guilt too. (Do you remember in the 'Teach someone to use your functions' thread that you were talking about pushing against forces that were preventing a person from being who they are?)

yeah i know. this can be hard to put into words for me too. the whole integration/disintegration line between 2 and 4 is really piquing my interest right now, because it seems like it may help explain why i relate to both. hmm...
It's interesting because I'm pretty confident that 2 is in my tritype, and I'm thinking about the ways in which I relate to 4. I tend to feel deeply too, and I usually only express my emotions in a way that's conducive to other people's needs. But that often leads to the build up of intense feelings inside of me related to things that other people wouldn't like, wouldn't relate to, or would overwhelm them. And I find that I *need* to find a release for these feelings from time to time or I get depressed. When there's someone in my life who I can connect with over those intense feelings in a constructive way, that makes life much easier on me. *shrug* That might be what 2 integrating to 4 looks like in case it helps you differentiate 4 disintegrating into 2.

Starry

i just went back and read an old post of yours on this thread, and you were saying you think i'm a 2 and sx/so? is this still true?

I remember this thread... well that is a relative statement ha. But I think I put sx/so merely because that's what you had...and once I got more info...wasn't I the one that made the case for sx/sp?

I think what I was saying was if you were a 4 then you couldn't be an sx dom...cause then you'd be a total bastard. And that still stands :wink:

Oh whoops...And since I believe you are an sx dom I simultaneously believe you are a 2

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I remember this thread... well that is a relative statement ha. But I think I put sx/so merely because that's what you had...and once I got more info...wasn't I the one that made the case for sx/sp?

I think what I was saying was if you were a 4 then you couldn't be an sx dom...cause then you'd be a total bastard. And that still stands :wink:

Oh whoops...And since I believe you are an sx dom I simultaneously believe you are a 2
yeah, i didn't read thoroughly before i made that post. you did suggest sx/sp, and i feel really good in that.

i do relate strongly to 2. and 4. and i know a lot of other things in my type (7w6sx and sx/sp) can often mistype as 4. but when i read 2 descriptions and 4 descriptions, i feel that:
a) i'm not as positive and superficial with my emotional life as 2 (especially 729).

b) my fears are more about being misunderstood or inauthentic rather than being not helpful or giving.

c) helping drains me while being, like, emotionally indulgent and self-focused fills me up. when i allow myself to relax, i relate to 4, while when i'm less sure of myself or more stressed, i behave more like a 2.

so...i dunno. 749 tritype softened up 4 from what i read to a point where it felt relateable.

Starry

yeah, i didn't read thoroughly before i made that post. you did suggest sx/sp, and i feel really good in that.

i do relate strongly to 2. and 4. and i know a lot of other things in my type (7w6sx and sx/sp) can often mistype as 4. but when i read 2 descriptions and 4 descriptions, i feel that:
a) i'm not as positive and superficial with my emotional life as 2 (especially 729).

b) my fears are more about being misunderstood or inauthentic rather than being not helpful or giving.

c) helping drains me while being, like, emotionally indulgent and self-focused fills me up. when i allow myself to relax, i relate to 4, while when i'm less sure of myself or more stressed, i behave more like a 2.

so...i dunno. 749 tritype softened up 4 from what i read to a point where it felt relateable.

Well, this tritype is called the 'gentle spirit' ...ha I'm just now seeing this in your sig! <-I've seen commentary before on 479 sx ...calling them the "not gentle gentle spirits" haha ( [MENTION=5494]Amargith[/MENTION] probably understands this better)...and piecing it together I wouldn't really expect them to be... but you will be an example for others to look to. I'm happy for you to have found something that you feel is a better fit.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, this tritype is called the 'gentle spirit' ...ha I'm just now seeing this in your sig! <-I've seen commentary before on 479 sx ...calling them the "not gentle gentle spirits" haha ( [MENTION=5494]Amargith[/MENTION] probably understands this better)...and piecing it together I wouldn't really expect them to be... but you will be an example for others to look to. I'm happy for you to have found something that you feel is a better fit.

:) thanks. we'll see where my enneajourney takes me, but hopefully if i'm passing back by 2, i'll feel fulfilled and at-ease there as well. always appreciate your insights.