• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] INFJ?

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Even though I was typed as INFP by several users, I still play with the idea, that I might be an INFJ actually. Mostly because everytime I take the cognitive functions test I score on Ni as my highest function and I relate to Ni description very well, also I use a lot of Ti, while I can't see myself much in Te description. The problem is I behave and think as a typical perceiver. So what now? I relate to INFJ functions, but not to the descrption of extroverted judger. Can an INFJ look like "P" type? Can an Fi look so much like Ni and Ne can behave so much like Ti?

R

Riva

one thing i have noticed is that infjs are quite good at typing themselves. one seldom sees an infj change one's self typing to some other type. this includes to the enneagrams too. however they might change the instinctual variant typing though. that observation leads me to believe that you might be not an infj. however that is a weak method to reach a conclusion. besides you do have a unique enneagram type. 4w3s are rare.

so - well - i basically wasn't much help.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Even though I was typed as INFP by several users, I still play with the idea, that I might be an INFJ actually. Mostly because everytime I take the cognitive functions test I score on Ni as my highest function and I relate to Ni description very well, also I use a lot of Ti, while I can't see myself much in Te description. The problem is I behave and think as a typical perceiver. So what now? I relate to INFJ functions, but not to the descrption of extroverted judger. Can an INFJ look like "P" type? Can an Fi look so much like Ni and Ne can behave so much like Ti?

I also score high Ni. I consider myself an INFP, no doubt there. Something you may want to look at is Fe vs. Fi. This to me is the best way to determine INFP vs. INFJ. They manifest quite distinctly, imo.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Would anyone help me with my functions? Are they really Fi+Ne+Si+Te? Or what if I use other functions... Ni/Ne is my biggest doubt, I made the video that might help. Also feel free to say if you think I am not an NF type.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
oh and... I am adding my cognitive functions test results...I know I can't try to type myself just based on test, but I also fail to get the real order of my functions by my own self.
extraverted Sensing (Se) ******************* (19.2)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************* (21.1)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************* (37.4)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ****************************************** (42.4)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************** (22.1)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ***************************** (29.3)
average use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************** (26.4)
average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ****************************************** (42.3)
excellent use

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I haven't watched your video but I can say you don't seem like an INFP to me. Have you read this? It might be helpful-

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/content.php/134-Lenore-Thomson-MBTI-Functions
Oh...I read these things before, the problem is I can relate to every function here and there, but it's hard to say which ones are dominant and which ones I don't use... I can relate to some Fi here there to some Fe here and there, to some Ne and to some Ni and could just continue naming the functions. That's why I asked for help to understand my functions, so it wouldn't be such a mess for me. Can I ask you why I don't seem like INFP to you?

B

brainheart

On that Grunge thread you just seemed really extroverted to me, that's all. More EXFP. I guess it was all of the high energy emoticons, etc.

I think those cognitive functions tests are confusing, too. I test equal Fi and Ni on them as well. Personally I think the markers they use for Fi are a little off, and probably for Ni as well, because it's incredibly apparent to me when I talk to INFJs or listen to them that we are coming from an entirely different orientation. I feel quite in sync cognitively with fellow INFPs.

I agree with [MENTION=8584]SpankyMcFly[/MENTION] that it can be helpful to determine Fe vs Fi, because they are really different. This explains pretty well what I'm talking about. http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17960&page=3&p=2147638&viewfull=1#post2147638

How would I summarize the functions you're wondering about?

Ne is about multiple possibilities/options. For example, if a Ne user is presented with a precept, let's say, 'if forced to choose between right and kind, choose kind', and asked to explain it, the Ne user will think about example after example where this precept would play out. Through thinking of all of the possibilities, the precept will be better understood by the Ne-user. It puts the idea 'out there' to grasp the concept.

Ni would take the precept itself and look at it from different angles, because Ni is more interested in concepts than possibilities. What does this precept mean, exactly, Ni would wonder. Why was this precept created? Where was the person coming from who created it? What was the cultural context, the personal context?

As far as the judging functions go-

Fi is personal. Basically it takes in extroverted perception and assesses. How do I feel about this precept? Is this congruent with what I consider right, with what I value? Or does this bother me to an extent that I feel a need to point out how stupid or wrong it is?

Fe's assessment considers others more. How does this precept affect society? Is it beneficial or harmful? If we all share this value, is it a good thing or a bad thing?

Obviously, everyone will do all of these things to an extent. It's what you do the most, and what your natural go-to is. I think it's best to figure out the top two and then narrow it down to the top one if you're confused. For me, Fi was so obvious it was a bit of a no-brainer. My issue, actually, was more Ne vs Se which made the Fi dom all the more obvious.

I would say the fact that you can relate to all of them to an extent lends itself to you using Ne, because Ne is more likely to entertain all the options.

Oh, and Se would say- Just give me one specific example of how this precept plays out so I can use it.

Si would say- I remember an example of how this precept played out and how it has shaped my subsequent perceptions.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
On that Grunge thread you just seemed really extroverted to me, that's all. More EXFP. I guess it was all of the high energy emoticons, etc.

I think those cognitive functions tests are confusing, too. I test equal Fi and Ni on them as well. Personally I think the markers they use for Fi are a little off, and probably for Ni as well, because it's incredibly apparent to me when I talk to INFJs or listen to them that we are coming from an entirely different orientation. I feel quite in sync cognitively with fellow INFPs.

I agree with [MENTION=8584]SpankyMcFly[/MENTION] that it can be helpful to determine Fe vs Fi, because they are really different. This explains pretty well what I'm talking about. http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17960&page=3&p=2147638&viewfull=1#post2147638

How would I summarize the functions you're wondering about?

Ne is about multiple possibilities/options. For example, if a Ne user is presented with a precept, let's say, 'if forced to choose between right and kind, choose kind', and asked to explain it, the Ne user will think about example after example where this precept would play out. Through thinking of all of the possibilities, the precept will be better understood by the Ne-user. It puts the idea 'out there' to grasp the concept.

Ni would take the precept itself and look at it from different angles, because Ni is more interested in concepts than possibilities. What does this precept mean, exactly, Ni would wonder. Why was this precept created? Where was the person coming from who created it? What was the cultural context, the personal context?

As far as the judging functions go-

Fi is personal. Basically it takes in extroverted perception and assesses. How do I feel about this precept? Is this congruent with what I consider right, with what I value? Or does this bother me to an extent that I feel a need to point out how stupid or wrong it is?

Fe's assessment considers others more. How does this precept affect society? Is it beneficial or harmful? If we all share this value, is it a good thing or a bad thing?

Obviously, everyone will do all of these things to an extent. It's what you do the most, and what your natural go-to is. I think it's best to figure out the top two and then narrow it down to the top one if you're confused. For me, Fi was so obvious it was a bit of a no-brainer. My issue, actually, was more Ne vs Se which made the Fi dom all the more obvious.

I would say the fact that you can relate to all of them to an extent lends itself to you using Ne, because Ne is more likely to entertain all the options.

Oh, and Se would say- Just give me one specific example of how this precept plays out so I can use it.

Si would say- I remember an example of how this precept played out and how it has shaped my subsequent perceptions.

Hmm...this is interesting. When it comes to see the possibilities I am able to see more of them at once. It's like I see a one thing and then usually say this one thing could be like this, but also we can see it some other way, so everything is a bit relative and open for me. But I guess it's more like looking at just one thing from different angles. For example I see some painting. I am not good at looking at the details, so I rather want to see the whole concept of the painting and then judge if there is some interesting idea in it. I try to catch and understand the idea, that is hidden in the work, I try to see and understand the message that comes out from the whole concept of one painting/book etc... It's like reeding the whole book and then analyze it for its basic idea, or message. Uff... I tired to make this clear. Or other great example...I watch a film and I tend to notice and be pretty critical to mistakes I can see in it, but if the general and basic idea of the film was good, I don't care about the little mistakes so much. But then I like to take apart the meaning, that I understood from the film and analyze it to see what basicly the author might tried to say... really does this make sense? What is it? Ne, or Ni? Or something else now? :D

Starry

Polly you seem like some kind of ENFP/INFJ hybrid to me. And I imagine you often vibe like an ISFP to people as well being something a bit like Fi>Ne>Ni... (Ne standing in for Se). There's more I might say here in a moment...

B

brainheart

Hmm...this is interesting. When it comes to see the possibilities I am able to see more of them at once. It's like I see a one thing and then usually say this one thing could be like this, but also we can see it some other way, so everything is a bit relative and open for me. But I guess it's more like looking at just one thing from different angles. For example I see some painting. I am not good at looking at the details, so I rather want to see the whole concept of the painting and then judge if there is some interesting idea in it. I try to catch and understand the idea, that is hidden in the work, I try to see and understand the message that comes out from the whole concept of one painting/book etc... It's like reeding the whole book and then analyze it for its basic idea, or message. Uff... I tired to make this clear. Or other great example...I watch a film and I tend to notice and be pretty critical to mistakes I can see in it, but if the general and basic idea of the film was good, I don't care about the little mistakes so much. But then I like to take apart the meaning, that I understood from the film and analyze it to see what basicly the author might tried to say... really does this make sense? What is it? Ne, or Ni? Or something else now? :D

This sounds Ne dom to me- ultimately the big picture. Or Ni, possibly. Both types are interested in the idea I think more than a Fi dom is. Fi is ultimately about feeling- the idea is far less important.

When I look at a painting, first and foremost, I feel it. Then I go for the gestalt.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Polly you seem like some kind of ENFP/INFJ hybrid to me.
This! You're really NOT the first person who told me that. I've been told by pretty lot of a people, that they would type as someting in between ENFP and INFJ... But there are pretty big differences in there functions, that is why I thought finding my function order would help me to figure out which one I really am.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So, there's a non-cognitive function way of determining the strength of one's functions, based on the strength of one's preferences (proposed by Wilde).

It looks like one could make a chart that looks like of yours is the strengths of one's preferences looked like this (roughly, feel free to adjust):

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1896920/20120729-1800/wilde/WildeCalc.html?i=83&n=100&f=81&p=59

So, to get a result like the one you posted for your function strength results, you'd have to very strongly prefer intuition, prefer introversion to extraversion (somewhat), prefer feeling to thinking, and be middling on your J/P preferences (probably slightly P).

Does that match your preferences, if you rated the strength of each?

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So, there's a non-cognitive function way of determining the strength of one's functions, based on the strength of one's preferences (proposed by Wilde).

It looks like one could make a chart that looks like of yours is the strengths of one's preferences looked like this (roughly, feel free to adjust):

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1896920/20120729-1800/wilde/WildeCalc.html?i=83&n=100&f=81&p=59

So, to get a result like the one you posted for your function strength results, you'd have to very strongly prefer intuition, prefer introversion to extraversion (somewhat), prefer feeling to thinking, and be middling on your J/P preferences (probably slightly P).

Does that match your preferences, if you rated the strength of each?

Hmmm...I feel more like T/F and E/I in the middle. The 4 latters MBTI tests always give me xNxP result, high N and P. But the cognitive functions tests give me mixed INFJ and ENFP results. I feel like using Ni, but also some kind of Ne. If I should make an order to my functions, based of my observation I would say it's: Ni>Ne>Fi>Ti>Se>Si>Fe>Te...But I might be wrong, more objective observation of my function would be great, that is the reason for the video I made... I know it's long and I sound wierd, and I am wierd I admit, but I think in first 5-10 minutes I talk about vampire/zombie war, and I think it's the right time, when my functions are clearly visible, maybe based on this someone could objectivly tell me,what functions I use.

Starry

This! You're really NOT the first person who told me that. I've been told by pretty lot of a people, that they would type as someting in between ENFP and INFJ... But there are pretty big differences in there functions, that is why I thought finding my function order would help me to figure out which one I really am.

Only pretty people tell you this...? Excellent. (I'm just going to pretend for a couple of minutes that this is what you said...)

You know Polly, your function order... Ni>Ne>Fi>Ti... what you listed in your most recent post...that's really no different from mine. It's just that...I lead with Ne which is eventually followed by Fi (Ne>Ni>Fi>Ti) and as a consequence type as ENFP and readily see myself in the ENFP descriptions. Still, I've scored as INFJ on a test or two in my time.

If you are truly an Ni dom though with Fi following closely behind then for all intents and purposes you really are a hybrid (imo.) I know that there are some that will disagree...and honestly I do think it is probably pretty rare...but I believe there are some people that are merely...hybrids ha. 4w3 actually makes a lot of sense to me for Ni dom with high Ne & Fi usage.

If I were you I would just list my type as INFx or eNFx and call it a day...but I know not everyone is as 'not detail oriented' as I am. I'm merely responding to say that in your case there may be no more discoveries to be made. When I watch your video I can see some similarities in our facial expressions and manner...but I see more...I don't even know how to describe it...I see you disengage more from the moment to think (to put serious thought into something) which is distinctly Pi to me...whereas I will often think something through while still engaged. If I'm around people or 'imaginary people' in a video audience I will often carry them through my thinking <-which I know people love and that it never makes me look crazy... so there will be no pause. Whatever though...I see both in you. And I love your 4w3 hair and make-up and really...that's all that matters.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I would venture to suggest that your 4w3-ness and your being an so-dom might make you seem ENFP-ish.

Fe and Fi are so different. Try reading the Fe vs Fi threads and see which side you identify more with might be a good idea :D

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Only pretty people tell you this...? Excellent. (I'm just going to pretend for a couple of minutes that this is what you said...)

You know Polly, your function order... Ni>Ne>Fi>Ti... what you listed in your most recent post...that's really no different from mine. It's just that...I lead with Ne which is eventually followed by Fi (Ne>Ni>Fi>Ti) and as a consequence type as ENFP and readily see myself in the ENFP descriptions. Still, I've scored as INFJ on a test or two in my time.

If you are truly an Ni dom though with Fi following closely behind then for all intents and purposes you really are a hybrid (imo.) I know that there are some that will disagree...and honestly I do think it is probably pretty rare...but I believe there are some people that are merely...hybrids ha. 4w3 actually makes a lot of sense to me for Ni dom with high Ne & Fi usage.

If I were you I would just list my type as INFx or eNFx and call it a day...but I know not everyone is as 'not detail oriented' as I am. I'm merely responding to say that in your case there may be no more discoveries to be made. When I watch your video I can see some similarities in our facial expressions and manner...but I see more...I don't even know how to describe it...I see you disengage more from the moment to think (to put serious thought into something) which is distinctly Pi to me...whereas I will often think something through while still engaged. If I'm around people or 'imaginary people' in a video audience I will often carry them through my thinking <-which I know people love and that it never makes me look crazy... so there will be no pause. Whatever though...I see both in you. And I love your 4w3 hair and make-up and really...that's all that matters.

Oh Starry you're really such a nice person :) . I thought I am an ENFP for the longest period of time, even though I really don't totally fit into ENFP description. My long pauses between the words are actually my not perfect knowledge of english language. I am not used to speak in english and most of the time in the vid a literally fish for the right words in my memory. But in my native language I have problems with speaking too fast, even though I worked hard on my speach, 'cause I was doing alot with acting, performing and speaking in front of the audience as I study to become a media's reporter/speaker/journalist I still have problem with talking slowly. It's just not natural for my pretty high temperament :D . And thank you for your compliment about my make-up and hair :) , it means pretty much for me :) .

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh Starry you're really such a nice person :) . I thought I am an ENFP for the longest period of time, even though I really don't totally fit into ENFP description. My long pauses between the words are actually my not perfect knowledge of english language. I am not used to speak in english and most of the time in the vid a literally fish for the right words in my memory. But in my native language I have problems with speaking too fast, even though I worked hard on my speach, 'cause I was doing alot with acting, performing and speaking in front of the audience as I study to become a media's reporter/speaker/journalist I still have problem with talking slowly. It's just not natural for my pretty high temperament :D . And thank you for your compliment about my make-up and hair :) , it means pretty much for me :) .

Your cognitive function results above look very inconclusive. I don't have a lot of faith in those tests. Take MBTI Step II. It's the best assessment I know of. I have no affiliation with this site but $55 seems like a pretty good rate for it.

Edit: Actually, I looked further down the page. I took the Step II interpretive report. It's a better report and probably worth the extra $20.

B

brainheart

Your cognitive function results above look very inconclusive. I don't have a lot of faith in those tests. Take MBTI Step II. It's the best assessment I know of. I have no affiliation with this site but $55 seems like a pretty good rate for it.

Edit: Actually, I looked further down the page. I took the Step II interpretive report. It's a better report and probably worth the extra $20.

$75 for a personality test!!!

Polly, I would say that you are probably N-first based on things. So that leaves ENFP and INFJ. You are also dealing with trying to figure this out in your non-native language, yes? That makes it a lot more difficult, especially when a lot of understanding about this stuff comes from nuance. For this reason I would pay attention to how you extrovert. When you talk do all of these ideas come out, almost like you're thinking out loud? (Ne) Is that how you converse? Or do you converse by being nice, friendly, and considering the other person's feelings? (Fe)