• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] How is it possible that I'm INFP

taylord

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
... I get so upset when people constantly talk about their failing relationships, and when people go through the same cycles of abusive relationships. Whenever I log onto facebook this is pretty much constant catty little insults to people's past lovers. I feel absolutely no empathy at all for those people. How is it that I could be a healer? Aren't healers supposed to enjoy this type of thing?

taylord

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Is there somewhere where I can read up on Fi?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
... I get so upset when people constantly talk about their failing relationships, and when people go through the same cycles of abusive relationships. Whenever I log onto facebook this is pretty much constant catty little insults to people's past lovers. I feel absolutely no empathy at all for those people. How is it that I could be a healer? Aren't healers supposed to enjoy this type of thing?

Healers/INFPs have little time for what they perceive to be overblown drama. That doesn't mean you're uncaring or insensitive to those people's feelings. I can totally relate to you on this and I've heard/read similar things from other INFPs.

I think we're more affected by grave injustices and suffering, so these sorts of relationship troubles tend to seem trivial by comparison.

Do you follow a lot of political-ish pages and groups on facebook? I do and I find myself getting far more upset and worked up about the things posted in those groups than I ever do over Cindy or Bobby's problems with their significant other or the person that looked at them the wrong way in their high school class.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is there somewhere where I can read up on Fi?

http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/Cognitive-Functions/Introverted-Feeling.cfm

As a cognitive process, it often serves as a filter for information that matches what is valued, wanted, or worth believing in.

Basically, people's bullshit drama and relationship troubles have little to do with whatever you value or believe in. Am I right? There is no shame in feeling this way. I'm not saying People's social problems aren't important, but you shouldn't feel bad for not caring more about it.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It helps us know when people are being fake or insincere or if they are basically good. It is like having an internal sense of the "essence" of a person or a project and reading fine distinctions among feeling tones.

this is why you probably don't care too much about your friends' posts about their day-to-day drama. Now, if someone posted that they were having the shit beat out of them by their spouse/lover, something tells me you might suddenly care A LOT and perhaps feel a desire to intervene or support that person in some way. Am I right?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
How are you human? because that's what happens when you're mommy and daddy procreated and formed you.

actually I relate tons and tons to what you're saying

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
this is amurrica. gawd made me!

i know the difference between your and you're i just posted in haste. And that was totally unessceray yes i'm misspelling on purpose, too piss you off

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
this is amurrica. gawd made me!

i know the difference between your and you're i just posted in haste. And that was totally unessceray yes i'm misspelling on purpose, too piss you off

and I thought you were leaving....

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I relate to everything! I guess we see that drama people as "fake" and "untrue" and that is what our Fi just can't stand.

Standuble

I'm an INFP and I'm the same. When I first got into MBTI I was unhappy that I was not as compassionate and caring as the type description suggested. My studies have concluded that empathy for INFPs is a mechanism which suits a means to an end. Compassion in the conventional sense is more a context based system - feeling sad and upset on a situation by situation basis rather than it as an idea or concept. This is more related to Fe; Fi (dominant function for INFPs) is a system which runs on different programming.

Empathy does occur in abundance but it is used by you for the purpose to understand the journey someone else has walked - the choices they have made, the places they have been etc. and determine whether you want or value this path either for yourself or for society on a whole. Have you ever stopped and stated that that way wasn't how you wanted to live your life? If you did then you came to that conclusion by walking a mile in their shoes.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I didn't mean to say I think people in abusive relationships are full of shit, but I notice that people on Facebook sometimes have a tendency to exaggerate things just for the sake of getting attention. I had to unfriend one of my cousins because she was continuing to post comments about how abusive and cruel much of her family is to her. I can't speak for the others, but her problems with me were over a disagreement we had MONTHS ago, and something I thought we'd already talked about and gotten over. That's the sort of drama I have zero tolerance or time to worry about.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

and I thought you were leaving....

i already edited the comment to erase that, realizing it was bitchy. don't get upset, i apologize.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

The way I understand INFP as "Healer" is that they are sort of a bastion of pureness in the world, and you can go to them to be enveloped in that Fi purity and have your inner wounds "healed" - and they bring that Fi to the world to help "heal" its internal wounds, too. Remember that often medicine tastes disgusting, and that medical procedures are often very painful. Healing is not always a kind or gentle process, but one that emphasizes health.

When you see things that are harmful - like catty insults - you may not feel much tolerance for them because there is almost no aspect of them that is beneficial. The Healer may well have little patience for unhealthful practices, as they stand in direct contradiction to your aim.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The way I understand INFP as "Healer" is that they are sort of a bastion of pureness in the world, and you can go to them to be enveloped in that Fi purity and have your inner wounds "healed" - and they bring that Fi to the world to help "heal" its internal wounds, too. Remember that often medicine tastes disgusting, and that medical procedures are often very painful. Healing is not always a kind or gentle process, but one that emphasizes health.

When you see things that are harmful - like catty insults - you may not feel much tolerance for them because there is almost no aspect of them that is beneficial. The Healer may well have little patience for unhealthful practices, as they stand in direct contradiction to your aim.

Very true...
I used to get hurt very bad when exposed to this kind of stuff...
Now, I'm just sort of numb...

Standuble

I thought "Healer" was by how we relate via self-reflection our own personal experiences and articulate our findings - a process with the intent of guiding another within themselves to find the issue and allow them to fix it in their own way.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I thought "Healer" was by how we relate via self-reflection our own personal experiences and articulate our findings - a process with the intent of guiding another within themselves to find the issue and allow them to fix it in their own way.

That works too! I think all Fi types tend to go through that process. Feeling, introverted.