• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INFJ + INTJ = _____

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I been developing something with an INTJ for a little while and I'm curious if anyone has had the same type relationship before. Same for INTJs. Ever gone out with an INFJ?

What works and what doesn't work?

And on another note, I'm curious what it's like for two introverts to be together. I've only dated extroverts so far.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
You can actually laugh at the same jokes, give each other time to think, for the most part enjoy the same movies/books. Big trouble is same blind spots like forgetting where you parked the car. Maybe the biggest danger is that you can seem so naturally compatible that you get into the habit of being together without figuring out how serious you want to be.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Thanks, edcoaching. This INTJ and I get along fairly well from what I can tell. And you're right that we enjoy the same jokes and movies and such.

Here's another question:

Is it true INTJ don't like to be touched all that much? One of my stronger love languages is physical affection. I think it'd be hard if I dated a girl who's always got the 'don't touch me' chip on her shoulder.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
INTJ + INFJ = doom.

Not really. It's just (as I've said on this board a zillion times), INTJs and INFJs share some communicative (or noncommunicative) tendencies that actually impede good communication. It's a challenge that is surmountable, but it's a challenge.

As for INTJs and touch, my experience is that they really prefer that to be negotiated on their own terms. Physical space is important to the INTJs I know.

S

Sniffles

Yes I was with an INFJ chick for some time. She was quite charming in the beginning and so on. After a while however, our subtle differences blew up in our faces. We kept misunderstanding each other, and that often lead to unnecessary fights.

Problem was we both were fond of each other on some level, and neither of us wanted to hurt the other. Which is made it that much harder to do the inevitable. :(

So I'm little biased against INFJ-INTJ relationships. But that's just me, Im sure other INFJs' experiences are different.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Thanks guys. Good thoughts. Keep them coming if others have more to add. Hopefully there are good stories out there too??

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Is it true INTJ don't like to be touched all that much? One of my stronger love languages is physical affection. I think it'd be hard if I dated a girl who's always got the 'don't touch me' chip on her shoulder.

Depends on your definition of "much", but I don't hate physical affection at all in the context of love/relationship etc.

That said, even though my best friend (offline) is an INFJ, I seem to run into trouble with INFJs online...misunderstandings are a problem.

helen

MBTI Type
INFJ
About the misunderstandings-- if you move into a relationship understanding that you can't expect your INTJ to think like you do, or to automatically know what you are thinking if you don't explain clearly, doesn't this help??

Is it too idealistic for me to think that INFJ/INTJ relationships dissolving due to communication issues could be blamed on immaturity and false expectations and that a little grace, tolerance, and understanding of MBTI can go a long way? :)

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Is it too idealistic for me to think that INFJ/INTJ relationships dissolving due to communication issues could be blamed on immaturity and false expectations and that a little grace, tolerance, and understanding of MBTI can go a long way? :)

I'm sure that's true of any type-pairing.

THAT SAID, I do think that some type pairings are harder than others. INTJ-INFJ is a hard one... one probably worth working on given the right pair, though.

S

Sniffles

I'm sure that's true of any type-pairing.

THAT SAID, I do think that some type pairings are harder than others. INTJ-INFJ is a hard one... one probably worth working on given the right pair, though.

I agree. Plus it has to be a two way endeavor. And from my experience, INTJs are less inclined to do so. It's their way or no way at all.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ

There are about two people in the world that I let touch me. Anyone else touch me and I will rip their fucking arms off.

However, I'm not too inclined to backrubs and footrubs either. I don't know who the hell said they were supposed to feel good because they hurt me -- then again, this may have to do with sensory defensiveness than anything else.

Eh... for a relationship the biggest hurdles I see are potentially the Te/Fe thing and the INTJ's inherent stubbornness.

SquirrelTao

MBTI Type
INXX
My INTJ doesn't like touchy-feely acquaintances to touch him, but he's very physically affectionate with me. He loves cuddling, backrubs, footrubs, and physical teasing and playing. The first year we lived together, we would snuggle in bed and lie there and pick on each other for sometimes hours every day. Of course, we didn't like to sit on our sofa, because it was a piece of crap...

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
All type pairings can work it out, but not all individuals can.

Touch involves a lot more than type--we Northern Introverts think a handshake is pretty intimate. What's gone on in past relationships obviously brings baggage to the next one, including whatever the last serious other wanted or rejected in terms of touch. A lot of Introverts (me included) get startled if they aren't expecting a hug or even a back rub and it can come off as rejection. We may not have been aware enough of the other person's presence or mood to get it'd be a good moment to slide over on the couch...

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I think the desire for commitment in both types is a huge positive.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Nooooo.

Personally I like and need physical affection from my partner, I'm just reserved in public. I also don't want random people touching me, if I initiate physical contact with a friend then it means I genuinely like and trust them, it's a rare thing.

There's a test on INTJf about preferred language of love and the two highest responses are quality time and physical affection, so mostly I'd say we like it (talking strictly about romantic relationships) there will always be exceptions though.

faith

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm in a relationship with another introvert and so far I love the shared introversion. We understand the importance of silence, of alone time, of just being without constant interaction. We can enjoy each other's presence while we're doing separate things. All that seems very easy and natural between us. I've never dated an extrovert, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I have experienced no trouble because of being with another introvert.

As for touching... My brother is an INTJ. He hates for "unapproved" people to touch him. But he can be downright cuddly with "approved" people. Sometimes he's even a little too touchy and cuddly for my NF tastes. Weird.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
As for touching... My brother is an INTJ. He hates for "unapproved" people to touch him. But he can be downright cuddly with "approved" people. Sometimes he's even a little too touchy and cuddly for my NF tastes. Weird.

I don't think I've ever heard of an INTJ that was 'normal' when it came to touch. If it wasn't important to them, though, they wouldn't be so damn sensitive about it, right? :hug:

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm in a relationship with another introvert and so far I love the shared introversion. We understand the importantce of silence, of alone time, of just being without constant interaction. We can enjoy each other's presence while we're doing separate things. All that seems very easy and natural between us. I've never dated an extrovert, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I have experienced no trouble because of being with another introvert.

Holy crap, you just summed up what I'm wishing for. :blush:
Very hard to express it in words like that..

MrRandom

MBTI Type
INFJ
Okay, years ago I went on a few dates with an INTJ. From my point of view, there wasn't this passion I was looking for. It might have worked out okay and been an okay relationship overall, but okay's not good enough for me. If he would have been even slightly more social and alive, it might have worked out great. We understood each other quite well, but I was bored all the time. If you are adventurous, it might not be your type.

We then became friends only, but due to his intolerable and offensive behavior we are not even that anymore. What Uytuun said about online discussion causing misunderstandings between these two types, I completely agree with. It's a serious threat to the relationship. From my INFJ perspective INTJs can come across as quite harsh when arguing, because INFJs try to find some common ground and let each have their own opinions, whereas an INTJ "attacks" and tries to rend apart the values of others to win the argument. It is their way of understanding things (deconstructing them), and they mean no harm. It might very well be that this doesn't apply to all or even most INTJs, but it's still what I've experienced.

MBTI Type
INxJ
As for INTJs and touch, my experience is that they really prefer that to be negotiated on their own terms. Physical space is important to the INTJs I know.

Yes, very true. Some INFJs would be fine, but it's individual as someone stated above.