• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Shadow Functions of an INFJ?

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Query: If INFJs prefer to use Extroverted Feeling, theoretically ignoring their Introverted Feeling in the process, then would INFJs be prone to bottling up their emotions until something triggers the feelings to explode? (Especially if it's due to the result of a sudden Ni-fueled realization?)

Alight owl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know I do- can't speak for all INFJs.

I'd say that partly the bottling up of my feelings comes because I am trying to understand them before I allow myself to feel them (Ni-Ti loop). And then partly because I'm all Fe in the world, I don't want others to feel bad so sometimes I cover up my bad feelings, and that can equate to not allowing myself to feel them. It's very hard for me to feel things internally when I'm out in the world because I'm constantly on the alert for other people's emotional well-being.

I have read that INFJs tend to feel other people's emotions, but have real trouble with their own...our very own terrifying martyrdom.

I have also read that Ni-Fe can produce a sort of Fi-looking type. But Fi is not something that I totally understand.

When your feelings explode, what does it look like?

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, that is absolutely what I do.

Sunny Ghost

The two INFJ's I know in person are quite volatile in terms of their emotions. I always found that odd considering they are Fe types. I have a hard time fully understanding Fe though.

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Maybe INFJ's are better at managing the feelings of others than they are their own??:thinking:

W

WALMART

The two INFJ's I know in person are quite volatile in terms of their emotions. I always found that odd considering they are Fe types. I have a hard time fully understanding Fe though.

Fe types are very comfortable openly displaying their emotions; there is little in the way between internal registry and physical expression.

I could definitely see this happening with IxFJ's more so than ExFJ's, though tertiary and inferior Fe types are probably more prone to foregoing personally favorable response to the point of 'repression'.

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Fe types are very comfortable openly displaying their emotions; there is little in the way between internal registry and physical expression.

I could definitely see this happening with IxFJ's more so than ExFJ's, though tertiary and inferior Fe types are probably more prone to foregoing personally favorable response to the point of 'repression'.

So this most likely happens to Estp, Entp, Istps or Intp…interesting. How does this kind of repression play out in your life? (If you don't mind me asking)

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Query: If INFJs prefer to use Extroverted Feeling, theoretically ignoring their Introverted Feeling in the process, then would INFJs be prone to bottling up their emotions until something triggers the feelings to explode? (Especially if it's due to the result of a sudden Ni-fueled realization?)

Sounds feasible to me.

I used to be like that, before I became a Jedi master:)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can bottle up feelings, but it is rare I explode. When under intense stress I can get a bit Te-like. I also get really silly and jokey and just don't care anymore.

W

WALMART

So this most likely happens to Estp, Entp, Istps or Intp…interesting. How does this kind of repression play out in your life? (If you don't mind me asking)

I've been wondering myself, particularly given the fact that Jung states Se users tend to "repress" their intuitive perceptions, finding them alien or something. I think it has to do with the fact that Se users prefer the actual, and intuitive perception does not align with that preference.

For me... I'm not sure. I have ideas, but meh. I'm super passive about every and anything. Maybe it manifests as passive-aggressive tendency?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd say that partly the bottling up of my feelings comes because I am trying to understand them before I allow myself to feel them (Ni-Ti loop).
This, totally. Ni-Ti loops can look a lot like Ti-inferior Fe. If I feel anything I am not sure is in proportion to the situation, an appropriate response, irrational or impractical, I try to shut it down. (This is speaking more for the past, as I am a lot more in touch with my emotions now.) My response is to hyper-analyze my response, identify all the underlying beliefs, and evaluate whether or not they are true, then tell myself what is true. It actually helps a lot, but incorporating a more feeling-friendly approach is more effective.
And then partly because I'm all Fe in the world, I don't want others to feel bad so sometimes I cover up my bad feelings, and that can equate to not allowing myself to feel them.
For me it doesn't have anything to do with how other people feel directly; I am indirectly very concerned that I will alienate people or make them very angry at me and then they will be hostile to me. Also I tend to assume I'm overreacting, so I usually go over and over the situation and get another perspective on it before I'm sure I am justified in feeling how I do.
I have read that INFJs tend to feel other people's emotions, but have real trouble with their own...
For me I have trouble sometimes identifying how much of what I feel is mine and how much is someone else's. It's easier to detach from a situation if I know I am just absorbing someone's mood. Also I have higher standards for myself than I do for other people, so that means standards of practicality, rationality, logic, and maturity (which I have traditionally and erroneously seen as being in conflict with emotion). If someone else makes a mistake I'm more likely to be indulgent.
When your feelings explode, what does it look like?
I feel like I am full of righteous anger or indignation, and I can't be nice any longer. I feel there is injustice going on which I am going to fight for. I have something to say and it needs to be said (or so I think), so I say it. Normally I try to be objective and rational, but when my feelings explode I feel that the truth is not objective, if that makes any sense, which it probably doesn't.

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This, totally. Ni-Ti loops can look a lot like Ti-inferior Fe. If I feel anything I am not sure is in proportion to the situation, an appropriate response, irrational or impractical, I try to shut it down. (This is speaking more for the past, as I am a lot more in touch with my emotions now.) My response is to hyper-analyze my response, identify all the underlying beliefs, and evaluate whether or not they are true, then tell myself what is true. It actually helps a lot, but incorporating a more feeling-friendly approach is more effective.

What do you feel would be the main difference between Ti-Ni loop and inferior Fe.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What do you feel would be the main difference between Ti-Ni loop and inferior Fe.

Good question. I relate about equally to inferior Fe and Se. I decided I am INFJ rather than INTP for many reasons, but this was not one of them. I guess it's just a process of comparing the functions of the two types and seeing which one fits more. If you think you might be ISTP then it might be harder, because they have the same functions- but INFJ and ISTP are rather different archetypes. I guess what it came down to with me was realizing just how Ni I am, being able to see inferior Se in myself, seeing how I could rule out Ne and Si, and realizing that I am more N than T, and more like INFJ than ENTP

I still maintain that having your tertiary more developed than the auxiliary isn't necessarily a big problem, as long as you make efforts to become a balanced and functional person. I think I can comfortably use Ti as an auxiliary, as long as I sufficiently extrovert any of the functions.

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Good question. I relate about equally to inferior Fe and Se. I decided I am INFJ rather than INTP for many reasons, but this was not one of them. I guess it's just a process of comparing the functions of the two types and seeing which one fits more. If you think you might be ISTP then it might be harder, because they have the same functions- but INFJ and ISTP are rather different archetypes. I guess what it came down to with me was realizing just how Ni I am, being able to see inferior Se in myself, seeing how I could rule out Ne and Si, and realizing that I am more N than T, and more like INFJ than ENTP

I still maintain that having your tertiary more developed than the auxiliary isn't necessarily a big problem, as long as you make efforts to become a balanced and functional person. I think I can comfortably use Ti as an auxiliary, as long as I sufficiently extrovert any of the functions.

Well I’m actually pretty sure I’m an INFJ as I’m not extroverted in the least nor am I a sensing type. I also don’t like change or uncertainty so despite my occasionally messy desk or room I don’t identify with perceivers. I plan almost everything I do from start to finish and I get apprehensive if it changes. I was more or less asking because [MENTION=15886]superunknown[/MENTION] gave some valid reason for it being inferior Fe and you seemed to suggest it was also ni-ti loop. If it could be either or I just needed to know how they were different lol. Just feeding into my own curiosity. I don’t know any Istp’s or Intp’s well at least none confirmed so I was hoping you could tell me…or confirm my hunch rather. See I think the difference might lie in motivation or rather subjective reasoning.

Perhaps thinking types inferior Fe causes repression because it’s simply not as valuable as some other logical factor. A T probably wouldn’t normally be all that concerned with going with what you feel anyway so why start now.(not that they aren’t capable of feeling) Instead they might just say ok Fe what is the quickest way to get out of this emotional situation? Fe feeds them a socially acceptable solution and their back with in their comfort zone with no regard to how they actually felt about it for a while. Eventually because they have not solved the issue it builds up over time causing what the Op described. Another possibility for inferior Fe is that those types also have a P preference. It might make them more open to the fact that it’s all in their head. Then when they can’t come to a logical conclusion Fe makes them seek that social affirmation and says go with the flow until you can’t any more. Perhaps also a combination of both?

Ni-Ti loop however in a Fe aux like INFJ would probably be along the lines of what you and [MENTION=17837]Alight owl[/MENTION] described. So I agree with you. That makes sense to me. Making sure your feelings are valid before you actually feel them ect. I’d say I identify with this one more.

Alight owl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=14857]fia[/MENTION] I have that Te-like stress reaction too, though I have never equated it to mbti. I think of it as 4---unhealthy 1 on the enneagram.
I wonder if non-4 INFJs have anything to weigh in?

I also do the silly jokey thing. It's actually my way of coping with that Te-unhealthy 1-anger/control. I just have to laugh at myself. I find that I mainly do this when I'm out with people or when I really don't want to make a fuss (because above all, I don't want other people to think that I'm fussy or a burden). I have a much harder time taking myself lightly in private, but if I'm with someone who can lightly bring me out of my funk, I do try.

I'd say that it is rare that I explode too, except in company of my closest people. Then I'm totally blazingly honest, and can get quite nihilistic and misanthropic and really hard to be around.

Alight owl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=17164]iNtrovert[/MENTION]: I wonder if you've checked out this website?

He does a really -- really good job of describing the introverted intuitives (based on his own personality type and I think the types of people that he has observed / interviewed). Anyway, he says that INFJs should more properly be labeled as dominant perceivers, because their main function is Ni, which is a perceiving function.

I know for me, the more (stereotypical) J I feel, the worse mental/emotional state I am in. I am much better off in the woods looking at leaves.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Its not that INFJ ignores Fi, its that they habitually ignore the subjective side of F, if it doesent go hand in hand with the objective side of F. This is what defines Fe, and Fi would be the opposite of this(habitually ignoring the objective side), so because this E or I of a function is about habitually leaning to one way or another and you cant habitually lean both ways, you cant have both Fi and Fe.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've been wondering myself, particularly given the fact that Jung states Se users tend to "repress" their intuitive perceptions, finding them alien or something. I think it has to do with the fact that Se users prefer the actual, and intuitive perception does not align with that preference.

For me... I'm not sure. I have ideas, but meh. I'm super passive about every and anything. Maybe it manifests as passive-aggressive tendency?

Do you enjoy imagination-playtime?
[MENTION=15886]superunknown[/MENTION]

marissa

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I find that I usually have to talk about my feelings before I start to understand them, which can drive my family crazy. I've heard that's typical of Fe

I'd say that it is rare that I explode too, except in company of my closest people. Then I'm totally blazingly honest, and can get quite nihilistic and misanthropic and really hard to be around.

I'm also more likely to loose my temper around the people I'm closest too. My anger can be explosive, though I think I'm having better luck controlling it over the past couple of years. My sister told me it hurt her when I would "explode" about something that wasn't her fault just to vent, so I've been trying to do that less.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

The way I understand shadow functions to work is:

The opposite or the "unconsious" expression of the particular cognitive function, not necessrily the letter.

i.e. INFJ is NiFeTiSe so that would translate to NeFiTeSi, which is ENFP.