• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Shadow Functions of an INFJ?

W

WALMART

Do you enjoy imagination-playtime?
[MENTION=15886]superunknown[/MENTION]

Yes. But my imagination is admittedly very guided.

For example, I enjoy dreaming up scenarios to write about in fiction books. I have one involving a punctuated equilibrium of evolution in humanity induced by a meteor strike, one involving an alien wild west figure who's anatomy alone provokes interesting twists on the physiology of traditional western mythos, etc. I think the thing is that it cannot simply be a story. There have to be conceptual notions buried within the story that makes the effort worthwhile. I could never read, for example, a book simply for superb narrative. I have to feel there are some underlying contextual happenings to be drawn to the surface that makes my mind toil in order for me to enjoy my experience. Incidentally, I tend to read/watch/listen to the same media over and over again, because I'm selective about what I'll entertain, and these selections are usually intentionally rich in meaning, capable of extraction multiple times over.

Also, growing up, I would study current scientific trends, like quantum computing, imagining what future uses will spawned from it. I dreamt up a quantum radio one day, for example.

So yeah, I'd say I enjoy using my imagination, though perhaps to an external observer, I'm very "contained" - hence the suppression of intuition Jung spoke of. This is my interpretation though, of course. I'm curious to see what others have gotten from the data.

InNieuxWoo

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am new here so pardon if I dont use the proper terminology. I will only speak for myself as an INFJ. I repress my anger because I feel it very deeply and am keenly aware of the effect of intense anger, and I oftern second guess if the intensity is justified. However, once I feel that my anger is justified or that my repressing the issue is causing it to continue, or if I just feel to strongly not to express myself. Then yes, I absolutely explode. Generally, feeling angry also leaves me feeling guilty, as if due to my being able to understand a person's actions from an objective standpoint, I should be able to look over their effect on me personally. Only, I'm too hypersensitive for that to be the case.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes. But my imagination is admittedly very guided.

For example, I enjoy dreaming up scenarios to write about in fiction books. I have one involving a punctuated equilibrium of evolution in humanity induced by a meteor strike, one involving an alien wild west figure who's anatomy alone provokes interesting twists on the physiology of traditional western mythos, etc. I think the thing is that it cannot simply be a story. There have to be conceptual notions buried within the story that makes the effort worthwhile. I could never read, for example, a book simply for superb narrative. I have to feel there are some underlying contextual happenings to be drawn to the surface that makes my mind toil in order for me to enjoy my experience. Incidentally, I tend to read/watch/listen to the same media over and over again, because I'm selective about what I'll entertain, and these selections are usually intentionally rich in meaning, capable of extraction multiple times over.

Also, growing up, I would study current scientific trends, like quantum computing, imagining what future uses will spawned from it. I dreamt up a quantum radio one day, for example.

So yeah, I'd say I enjoy using my imagination, though perhaps to an external observer, I'm very "contained" - hence the suppression of intuition Jung spoke of. This is my interpretation though, of course. I'm curious to see what others have gotten from the data.

With me, I jut write down random ideas, and then themes and lessons form in retrospect when I'm done...
It's very strange...

You should try it...

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Fe types are very comfortable openly displaying their emotions; there is little in the way between internal registry and physical expression.

I could definitely see this happening with IxFJ's more so than ExFJ's, though tertiary and inferior Fe types are probably more prone to foregoing personally favorable response to the point of 'repression'.

I actually have a theory behind why Tert and Inf Fe-users (xxTPs) are more prone suddenly exploding: I think it has to do with the position of Fi as a 'shadow' function. For xxTPs, Introverted Feeling is either the Trickster or Demonic function. This means that for xxTPs, their psyche views the Fi-based mindset as undesirable; so it is repressed until it either it can be used as an immature means of extricating themselves from a situation (Trickster), or it can be used as a last resort when the other 7 functions are too exhausted (Fi).

Since I myself am heavily prone to Ni-Ti looping (I feel like my mind is constantly chasing its tail, where my logic and my intuition try to undermine eachother in the search of objective truth, even though I'm beginning to realizee that my own search for such objective truth is ultimately fruitless), this would mean that I use my Ti as either my dominant or auxiliary function (not sure whether it's on an even keel with my intuition or not). I've come to realize my function order goes something like this:

MAIN: Ni Ti Se Fe

SHADOW: Ne Te Si Fi

This could theoretically lead me to have the same problem that IxTPs struggle with with, since my Fi would also be relegated to the demonic position. Which makes sense (I really, REALLY don't like using it because I end up feeling selfish, and I would sooner jump off a bridge than appear selfish to another person. Part of that is also my insecurity about my childhood experiences, so my Si keeps fueling my paralytic anxiety and getting in the way of my ability to get on in my life. ._. )

Someone earlier said something I REALLY resonated with; lemme see if I can find it...

EDIT: Found it!

...I am indirectly very concerned that I will alienate people or make them very angry at me and then they will be hostile to me...

For me I have trouble sometimes identifying how much of what I feel is mine and how much is someone else's. It's easier to detach from a situation if I know I am just absorbing someone's mood. Also I have higher standards for myself than I do for other people, so that means standards of practicality, rationality, logic, and maturity...

YES! This is EXACTLY the same problem I'm having!

I worry that anything I do could potentially lose the love and respect of everyone I care about; it's something I've been working on trying to fix so that I worry less about pleasing everyone else. Not that I shouldn't keep using Fe, but I really need to stop despising my suppressed Fi.

B

brainheart

It seems to me like a fi-dom or aux would have a higher intrapersonal emotional intelligence while a Fe dom or aux would have a higher interpersonal emotional intelligence. Therefore when dealing with the opposite of this intelligence they would look at it from a different orientation. For example, when I'm considering other people's feelings I think, "I know how that would make me feel, does it makes them feel the same way?" while a Fe user may think, "I know how that makes other's feel so perhaps it affects me the same way." I always think Fi: empathy, Fe: sympathy. This explains the differences well: http://www.diffen.com/difference/Empathy_vs_Sympathy

Would INFJs agree with this? Or am I off base with this theory?

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It seems to me like a fi-dom or aux would have a higher intrapersonal emotional intelligence while a Fe dom or aux would have a higher interpersonal emotional intelligence. Therefore when dealing with the opposite of this intelligence they would look at it from a different orientation. For example, when I'm considering other people's feelings I think, "I know how that would make me feel, does it makes them feel the same way?" while a Fe user may think, "I know how that makes other's feel so perhaps it affects me the same way." I always think Fi: empathy, Fe: sympathy. This explains the differences well: http://www.diffen.com/difference/Empathy_vs_Sympathy

Would INFJs agree with this? Or am I off base with this theory?

I'm inclined to say it's more like:

INFP: "I know how that would make me feel, does it make them feel the same way?"

INFJ: "I know how that would make me feel, does it make them feel the same way?"

Like it's the same process, but more emphasis/weight is felt on the bolded.

(?)

B

brainheart

I'm inclined to say it's more like:

INFP: "I know how that would make me feel, does it make them feel the same way?"

INFJ: "I know how that would make me feel, does it make them feel the same way?"

Like it's the same process, but more emphasis/weight is felt on the bolded.

(?)

Got it, that makes sense. That's exactly why I wanted the opinion of an INFJ.

CatBalou

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Query: If INFJs prefer to use Extroverted Feeling, theoretically ignoring their Introverted Feeling in the process, then would INFJs be prone to bottling up their emotions until something triggers the feelings to explode? (Especially if it's due to the result of a sudden Ni-fueled realization?)

Yes, as other posters have said, it's actually pretty hard for us to hide our strong feelings, our reputation for reserve not withstanding. The closer I am to someone the more likely I am to explode at them, often about something that's not related to them at all :(

I think Fe tends to make us swallow our feelings when it would be inappropriate to show them (e.g. if a coworker does something that riles me, I'll probably just smile sweetly and brush it off), but they have to come out somewhere. I really envy Fi-users' ability to hide their feelings and process them appropriately - I've never managed to do that.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think Fe tends to make us swallow our feelings when it would be inappropriate to show them (e.g. if a coworker does something that riles me, I'll probably just smile sweetly and brush it off), but they have to come out somewhere.

Yes.