• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How do you calm down?(!!?!?!?!?!?!!?!)

Susah

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Hiya guys!

What do you people do? What do you DO?

I won't go into causes here, but for a reason that I rationally know is very silly I have been... I guess the end result is anxiety. I keep myself from actually thinking about it, because I know I can't do anything about it, so at least I'm not being overtly neurotic, so to speak (which for me is pretty good :p) But it just keeps lingering around me, or above me, or somewhere it shouldn't be anyway. I'm actually very busy at the moment, and although that too helps to actually keep my mind off it, as soon as I have a free minute it just comes back and the exhaustion makes it even worse (work is very busy at the moment and this does sort of interfere)

So, yeah, what strategies do you have to deal with these things? As I said, I do keep busy but there is just a constant anxiety or melancholy caused by this very small stupid thing that I can't shake off...

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Drugs.jpg

Susah

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Don't really have any of those... I think... might check the garden tomorrow... :p

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The perfect remedy is yoga/meditation.

I don't understand if you're looking for a fast solution or long-term. Fast solution is taking pills. Longer term can be yoga. For me it really helped to accept that I can be anxious, but that was a longer process. It it's really stopping you from living, I tihnk it's ok to take a pill. But for health purposes I'd really advice yoga, or something that can recenter you in your body (just physical sports won't do)

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Listen to music, dance, do yoga, meditate, take a walk, talk to a friend, burn incense, and a little reefer never hurts ;)

Susah

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Well, at the moment I was thinking a bit more short term (though I should give yoga a shot I don't have the time atm... and also I'm really crap at keeping things up...), especially as I've been fine for quite a while, and then this small thing got me all out of phase :(

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, at the moment I was thinking a bit more short term (though I should give yoga a shot I don't have the time atm... and also I'm really crap at keeping things up...), especially as I've been fine for quite a while, and then this small thing got me all out of phase :(

i know this sounds stupid, but (i learned it from yoga) just taking deep breaths, and longer ones...really helps. if you do that for 2/3 mins, then you'll feel calmer right after. i swear. if you try the 4 step breathing thing, then you breathe in counting till 4, stop it at max lung volume and count to 4, breathe out counting to 4, and stop it at min lung volume counting to 4. do that a couple of times.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Try some yoga-like practice without the classes then. Breathe in through your nose counting to 5, feel your ribs and belly expand. Breathe out through your nose counting to 5, feel your belly button go up and in toward your spine. To bring a little bit of meditation into it, on inhales breathe in peace (or any other positive thing you want to cultivate. It could be really specific to your problem even), and on exhales breathe out the feelings of stress (or whatever you need to rid yourself of.) Do that for a little while, and you might find both your mind and body have calmed down together.

EDIT: Close your eyes :)

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
Hmm, taking a hot shower always helps. So does meditating. xo

A

A_priori

Grab a couple super cold items from the freezer, squeeze and pay close attention.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Deep breaths. Yoga. Brainwave entrainment sounds combined with deep breaths if actually panicking or having heart palpitations.

I also get angry bc of ptsd issues, and physical exercise or being in water is good for that.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TAKE PCP. Don't even drink heavily. It doesn't work.

If you can control your drinking to a couple of glasses of wine, awesome, but alcohol in excess just masks or even exaggerates the underlying problem.

A little marijuana might be fine, but it actually makes some people paranoid.

You could take valerian or sip cammomile tea.

Sex makes me feel better. Unless it leads to drama.

Hmmm get enough sleep. And I find I am calmer if I don't spend too much time on line. Technology supposedly amps up your nervous system any way ( people will go with out sleep because of tv and computer in their bedroom) and the internet is just full of assholes to disagree with which isn't very relaxing.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Go into nature and take my socks and shoes off. I look at everything, not ignore it, take in a deep breath, and accept it.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Hiya guys!

I won't go into causes here, but for a reason that I rationally know is very silly I have been... I guess the end result is anxiety. I keep myself from actually thinking about it, because I know I can't do anything about it, so at least I'm not being overtly neurotic, so to speak (which for me is pretty good :p) But it just keeps lingering around me, or above me, or somewhere it shouldn't be anyway. I'm actually very busy at the moment, and although that too helps to actually keep my mind off it, as soon as I have a free minute it just comes back and the exhaustion makes it even worse (work is very busy at the moment and this does sort of interfere)

So, yeah, what strategies do you have to deal with these things? As I said, I do keep busy but there is just a constant anxiety or melancholy caused by this very small stupid thing that I can't shake off...

Meditation. Give yourself some time to think about what's going on, don't just ignore it and hope it goes away.

Focus on the air going through your nostrils, and then let your thoughts infiltrate your mindspace. Once they come, observe them but don't let them affect you. When your thoughts come, you'll probably forget about the air going through your nostrils and be distracted. At this point you need to discipline your mind and refocus on the air through your nostils. Do this for about an hour and a half. Allow your thoughts to come, then refocus on your breathing again.

When its over your mind will be clear as day. It feels like stepping out of the shower when you're done. All those cluttered thoughts that you're unaware of are driving you mad.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hiya guys!

I have alwasy found it mighty difficult to relax, i feel like i have electrical currents running through my veins and even if not outwardly apparent it is very hard for me to relax.

Meditation i find almost impossible, i can relax somewhat but it takes a great deal of effort. I am not the best at self relaxing but do find working with others helps at least get kick started, i had some one to one yoga which really helped. Also if it is physical energy and not mental energy running could help... or just regular exercise.

To calm down though hmm.... someone with a good helping of patience to talk to ususally does the trick.