• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How to spot an ENFX?

Architect

MBTI Type
INTP
How do I spot ENFX types? I keep mistaking them for ESFX types. Give me key differentiators for ENFX versus ESFX.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can see your problem because I'm still not sure if my mother is an ENFJ or an ESFJ. So I'm going to listen carefully to everyone's opinions on this topic.

Regarding ESFP/ENFP, can't you see the clear difference between Ne and Se? Speaking as an ENFP, I'm not superficial, though I may pretend to be so in order to get things from people. That is, if you are attentive, you will see more depth behind my façade... what I'm interested in is understanding how things work, how the universe is connected, seeing patterns etc (you've got Ne too, so maybe you can understand what I mean). The descriptions I read online of ENFPs are indeed similar to ESFPs (bubbly, happy, upbeat etc). I think this is fake. Most of the time I'm in semi-contemplative mood or melancholic, I'm only fake bubbly if I'm in a group of people. Something else I do, and maybe you might notice in other ENFPs, is that I have very lively, expressive eyes, they are big and seem to want to "eat the world". I spend a lot of time observing, rather than participating....trying to understand the room, understand the people.

Dancing_Queen

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can see your problem because I'm still not sure if my mother is an ENFJ or an ESFJ. So I'm going to listen carefully to everyone's opinions on this topic.

Regarding ESFP/ENFP, can't you see the clear difference between Ne and Se? Speaking as an ENFP, I'm not superficial, though I may pretend to be so in order to get things from people. That is, if you are attentive, you will see more depth behind my façade... what I'm interested in is understanding how things work, how the universe is connected, seeing patterns etc (you've got Ne too, so maybe you can understand what I mean). The descriptions I read online of ENFPs are indeed similar to ESFPs (bubbly, happy, upbeat etc). I think this is fake. Most of the time I'm in semi-contemplative mood or melancholic, I'm only fake bubbly if I'm in a group of people. Something else I do, and maybe you might notice in other ENFPs, is that I have very lively, expressive eyes, they are big and seem to want to "eat the world". I spend a lot of time observing, rather than participating....trying to understand the room, understand the people.

I would agree with everything except this. I don't think these descriptions are fake per se, just largely exaggerated and not that trustable. It seems by the way you describe your general mood, that you lean towards a melancholic temperament, but sanguine ENFPs like me are generally more lively.

And why would you be "fake bubbly" around people?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I see what pinkgrafitti is saying about being bubbly, but I kind of disagree. For me, I am definitely optimistic and have a real love for life, but I think I have a darker side as well. ENFPs often have a sarcastic or macabre sensibility that I think is less often seen in ESFPs. I think it has everything to do with Ne, enjoying those "telling" connections about hypocrisy, greed, or deceit that we are keen to (ENFPs are highly concerned with authenticity). What I do agree with pinkgrafitti on is that when we're with people, we can be a little more "bubbly" in that pure childish sense (or even in a screechy girl sense) than we naturally get only because we know that's what the social climate is calling for. We can go the other way too. I have an INTJ friend who thought I was definitely an introvert (I'm 83% extrovert) because when I'm with him, I adjust to his tone and sit quietly and talk rationally with him.

As for ESFJ versus ENFJ, I know quite a few of both types. I can say that the ESFJs are big 'everything according to the rules' people. They adhere very closely to norms (very off the rack clothing style, traditional food preferences), and are all about working hard to have a perfect home to to host people in. Both types REALLY want to help you, and I've experienced both pushing 'help' and being offended or hurt when I don't take it. The ENFJs I know are a little more 'bohemian'. They love music, are always bursting with creative ideas, and are definitely more fierce and vocal about their beliefs (political and otherwise). They're more outside the box thinkers, and although they love to host people, are usually a little less clean and perfect with their housekeeping.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENFPs will laugh at your Ne taunts and shoot back. ESFPs will look at you puzzled.

Also, look for the girl who is slighly disheveled in appearance - like has a leaf stuck in her hair, and her blouse on inside out and walks into doors. :coffee:

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What I do agree with pinkgrafitti on is that when we're with people, we can be a little more "bubbly" in that pure childish sense (or even in a screechy girl sense) than we naturally get only because we know that's what the social climate is calling for.
[MENTION=18820]Dancing_Queen[/MENTION] This. thank you [MENTION=18819]nicolita[/MENTION].
I get excited around people because my Ne has a chance to play, there are new variables to understand etc - i might be genuinely bubbly
but a part of it is also exagerated (you are right [MENTION=18820]Dancing_Queen[/MENTION], i was exagerating, i didnt mean "fake" but just "augmented). i might choose to exagerate it because I want to help the general mood, or i want something from those people, like, that they excite me, give me stuff to feed my Ne. I'm sorry, i'm not being very good at expressing what i want to say..

Dancing_Queen

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I see what pinkgrafitti is saying about being bubbly, but I kind of disagree. For me, I am definitely optimistic and have a real love for life, but I think I have a darker side as well. ENFPs often have a sarcastic or macabre sensibility that I think is less often seen in ESFPs. I think it has everything to do with Ne, enjoying those "telling" connections about hypocrisy, greed, or deceit that we are keen to (ENFPs are highly concerned with authenticity). What I do agree with pinkgrafitti on is that when we're with people, we can be a little more "bubbly" in that pure childish sense (or even in a screechy girl sense) than we naturally get only because we know that's what the social climate is calling for. We can go the other way too. I have an INTJ friend who thought I was definitely an introvert (I'm 83% extrovert) because when I'm with him, I adjust to his tone and sit quietly and talk rationally with him.

As for ESFJ versus ENFJ, I know quite a few of both types. I can say that the ESFJs are big 'everything according to the rules' people. They adhere very closely to norms (very off the rack clothing style, traditional food preferences), and are all about working hard to have a perfect home to to host people in. Both types REALLY want to help you, and I've experienced both pushing 'help' and being offended or hurt when I don't take it. The ENFJs I know are a little more 'bohemian'. They love music, are always bursting with creative ideas, and are definitely more fierce and vocal about their beliefs (political and otherwise). They're more outside the box thinkers, and although they love to host people, are usually a little less clean and perfect with their housekeeping.

Yes, I think that's the difference between us and ESFPs, and how I knew I wasn't one. It has to be real to be enjoyed, while they don't worry so mush about this things.

BTW, your avatar and signature are beautiful :happy2:

Dancing_Queen

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENFPs will laugh at your Ne taunts and shoot back. ESFPs will look at you puzzled.

Also, look for the girl who is slighly disheveled in appearance - like has a leaf stuck in her hair, and her blouse on inside out and walks into doors. :coffee:

I keep reading this description of typical ENFP appearance but I'm yet to see it. Me and the other three ENFPs I came across to in the last two years are into fashion and very put together.

Totally agree about the clumsiness, though :D

Dancing_Queen

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=18820]Dancing_Queen[/MENTION] This. thank you [MENTION=18819]nicolita[/MENTION].
I get excited around people because my Ne has a chance to play, there are new variables to understand etc - i might be genuinely bubbly
but a part of it is also exagerated (you are right [MENTION=18820]Dancing_Queen[/MENTION], i was exagerating, i didnt mean "fake" but just "augmented). i might choose to exagerate it because I want to help the general mood, or i want something from those people, like, that they excite me, give me stuff to feed my Ne. I'm sorry, i'm not being very good at expressing what i want to say..

Oh I get you, no problem ;)

I'm just too lazy to do it when I'm tired or down.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I keep reading this description of typical ENFP appearance but I'm yet to see it. Me and the other three ENFPs I came across to in the last two years are into fashion and very put together.

Dude, you should meet me. While I can be very appearance oriented, the truth of the matter is that somehow I will not notice the fact that I put on my dress backwards. Or that my earring is stuck somehow. Or I didn't care where I sat down in teh garden and now my wrap is covered in dead leaves. Not to mention being covered in cat hair coz I had a snuggle session with my baby. It's...surreal. And of course, I'm even more oblivious when it comes to the normal routine of the day when I have 10 gazillion other things on my mind and throw on my clothes without even looking in the mirror :doh:

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yes! I love fashion too, and am often complimented on my fashion sense. Literally the ONLY tv show I watch is Project Runway (I watch it for the fashion, not the drama, haha). I never get that description of us either. I do tend to have little stains or wrinkles or maybe a missing stone in a necklace or worn out shoes, something which my ESFJ friends wouldn't dream of. I love getting funky with my look though.

You can count me in with the clumsy crowd too. It's bad :)

W

WALMART

ENFJ's will take you to [insert religious denomination here] on Sunday

ESFJ's will take you downtown for tacos and a museum

ENFP's are big socialites

ESFP's are hipsters

S

Stansmith

The difference between me and an ESFP is that I'm not stimulated by conversations about sneakers and bad b-tches

W

WALMART

ESFPs are socialites, ENFPs are hipsters/aliens

This is not what I have extrapolated from my studies.

Se would host a dinner party primarily for fostering a good atmosphere for company, for example.

Ne would host a dinner party primarily to foster healthy social connections.

Ne looks for "what they can get" out of something. Se looks for the general pleasure of experience.

It's pretty well laid out; I even remember reading this on Socionics forums...

Thinking back, I find it funny [MENTION=10984]DJ Arendee[/MENTION] typed the traditional 'gangster' type as ENFP. I see what he meant now (presuming his mind hasn't changed).

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so

That's so curious an observation about ENFJs being more fierce about their political beliefs. The ENFJ I know is not fierce about anything for fear of being considered callous. But she could easily be the exception to the norm.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think ENFPs can be interpreted as hipsters sometimes because we're can be into "deep/artsy" music and movies. We also see ourselves as unique and have lots of interests, so maybe we dress a little loud. At the moment I'm wearing outer space yoga pants for example :). We are also a little more prone to rejecting trends/styles/music that we believe to "see through." ESPECIALLY art. I just can't get down with music and movies that seem fabricated for maximum crowd pleasing and financial gain. ESFPs might be a little more prone to latching on to a trend for the aesthetic reasons, and may be more into pop culture or hipster culture that is marketed for the masses?

EDIT: I don't know any ESFPs, so that's why I'm trying to talk more about ENFPs with this explanation, and also why I turned that last sentence into a question :) Maybe ComebackGirl can speak to this? I know I asked her about music and movies, and she said she doesn't like anything too deep, just poppy dance and funny happy movies, so maybe that's where I'm getting a little of that from.

S

Stansmith

Se would host a dinner party primarily for fostering a good atmosphere for company, for example.

Ne looks for "what they can get" out of something. Se looks for the general pleasure of experience.

Thinking back, I find it funny [MENTION=10984]DJ Arendee[/MENTION] typed the traditional 'gangster' type as ENFP. I see what he meant now (presuming his mind hasn't changed).

I see your point. An actualized, mature ENFP will be much more charming than an ESFP. There's an innate "wise-ness" in us that can be deadly in social situations with confidence.

W

WALMART

I see your point. An actualized, mature ENFP will be much more charming than an ESFP. There's an innate "wise-ness" in us that can be deadly in social situations with confidence.

Whatever you gotta tell yourself.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

While Im all for defending the sfps as they are getting that typical sensor bias bullshit in this thread again, I have to disagree with your view of Ne.

Ne simply isnt that calculating...that sounds more like overly active Fe or so-instinct, tbh. Ne is also about having fun but in a different way, it is about seeking out the potential in people and having fun with word games and enriching (every)one's mind...an exchange of ideas really. Dinner is just a way to come together and connect with others in that way, tbh :shrug: