• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Im an INFP Male, and im always in the friend zone

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it's a problem because society expects males to act typically as a Thinker while females as a Feeler. So people assume you're gay or effeminate when you're just feely. I have no problem with NFs but SF males I do. They tend to see me as someone they're better than or have to prove more over for some reason. Yes ESFJs and ISFJs males got some beef with me. I do nothing and suddenly they act aggressive and macho and I'm looking at them weird.

I know an INFP male, people think he's dumb or like a kid. I treat him as I treat everyone straight up. Since I naturally make people get in trouble, I always dare him to get into trouble which he usually does and he enjoys it.

I think you feely boys would do better with those thinker girls. especially those mind control types like estjs or estps.

well if i had to pick a thinking team member, i would 120% always pick the INTJ...why settle for the estj/estp when you can have THE MASTERMIND INTJ????

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This here by calls to meeting the sad fact that most INFP males and myself....are most of the time...stuck in the friendzone...

any advice, comments, help?

Change your type?

Ah, j/k. NF males can be bit too... what is the right word I'm looking for... wimpy?

Don't try to be their friend, be their date.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i do have issues with confronting the reality. part of it is that im so old relative to these issues and behind in experience that im not sure i really know *how* to have a relationship...and therefore i just cultivate friendships with otherwise attractive girls.... did i really just...maybe answer my own question??

I can't offer much/any advice, but this particular comment is one I relate to. I think even if I knew what I "should" do in various circumstances, I'd find the behavior unacceptable in comparison to my own version of how things "should" be. I don't really know how to be anything other than friends, so making the transition is awkward, and trying to jump past the transition to something I've very limited experience with is even more awkward (I can usually clearly envision how I think things should/will be, but the transition to getting here is the missing link part).

I think part of my own problem is that I do believe that if a relationship is going to have long term potential, then being good friends first is/should be a good thing as it will be an indicator of what the relationship will be if/when the romantic spark fades from it. I've asked and received advice before, but none of it has ever felt like the right advice for me in a way that is authentic to myself, so I've consigned myself to trying to just learn from my mistakes and merge those lessons with still trying to do thing in a way thats comfortable to me. Will that ever work? who knows, but for now I'll keep trying til I either succeed or reach a new suffering threshold to make me re-evaluate things. I do think its a good idea to try to keep learning what I can from listening and talking to others, but I consider it important to make the distinction that I'm looking for knowledge and insight into the how and why that is the foundation of the advice others give so that I can try to find a way to adept it to my values (to me, telling me what to do is not usually helpful, its the reasons behind it that give it value).

Last edited:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I think the friends first approach works with some people, but I still do really think it can sort of neuter you with others. Developing a romantic relationship and a friendship can be done simultaneously. Sometimes people mentally categorize their relationships and once you're sort of in a certain file, it can be hard to get into a different file. Presenting yourself as a friend when you are really wanting to be considered more seems safe, but it's only safe like stuffing your money under your mattress.

Usehername

On a mission
I have a close INFP friend; we have chemistry; I'd never date him (even though I was crushing on him for the longest time for a while).

Why? My xxTJness does not mess well with his extreme INFP type--he's not assertive enough to keep on par with my personality. It exhausts me as a female (I prefer more gender stereotypes where the guy generally has a bit of the lead with regards to the establishment/pace of the relationship) and I don't honestly like being the continually assertive, decision making person. Even as a xxTJ. It's exhausting. I need the closure and he isn't assertive enough to give closure even for little things like deciding where to go have lunch together (I always decide). Those little things represent big things.

As a sidenote, his lack of what I'd consider a "serious" commitment to his Christian faith is an issue, but I don't know how much of that is type related, except that he angsts Fi about how terrible a condition the world is in and doesn't do much to pull himself out of the hole and figure out a way to make the world a better place and enjoy himself a little.

But yeah, the continual open-ended never-commiting to a simple decision thing drives me up the wall. He is very masculine in his INFPness but I need a guy who can make some simple decisions and follow through.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a close INFP friend; we have chemistry; I'd never date him (even though I was crushing on him for the longest time for a while).

Why? My xxTJness does not mess well with his extreme INFP type--he's not assertive enough to keep on par with my personality. It exhausts me as a female (I prefer more gender stereotypes where the guy generally has a bit of the lead with regards to the establishment/pace of the relationship) and I don't honestly like being the continually assertive, decision making person. Even as a xxTJ. It's exhausting. I need the closure and he isn't assertive enough to give closure even for little things like deciding where to go have lunch together (I always decide). Those little things represent big things.

so that pretty much means you can only be with an ENTJ ;)

recently, ive realized through some discussion that im probably more of an ENFP...and im generally assertive enough in choosing where to eat, but i get that comment of not being "capable"...sometimes...it bugs me.

people get that im "intelligent" in some other way. like even if we all get our tests back and i get a terrible grade, some of them will still think of me as smarter then all of them :) lol....its nice, and i wish they knew MBTI. simply put, my NF isnt always going to beat XT in academics.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I now recognize that there is a root problem to having friend zone problems that isnt even related to "fixing it".

its broken down into two basic parts:

1. Focusing too much on details and not enough on big picture...dont let your attraction to them blind you to obvious signs of non compatability EARLY on
1.a BIG PICTURE MAKES IT SIMPLE:

the reality is that much of 'friendzone' guys talk about how they didnt want to make their feelings known early on because they "werent sure she liked me yet". This can be avoided by not focusing on little nitpicking like : 1-3 seconds eye contact means ____, while her flipping her hair towards mecca means _____ and _____ .... while instead focus on:

who cares how friendly she SEEMS, does she give a shit about YOUR life? does she return questions with more than you asked for? does she ever ask YOU questions about YOUR life?
who cares how friendly she SEEMS about walking with you from ____ to ____ when youre there. does she wait up for you if were to 'hang back' for 30 seconds talking to _____????
the ONLY body language give away that i take seriously is the "puppy eyes" they are the ONLY RELIABLE body language give away, the rest can always be on accident. nobody does puppy eyes on acciden! Rolling Eyes

when you focus on these more big picture questions than body language crap, you realize how ****ing stupid is to ever ask "does she like me?" if you dont know, then the answer is "no" 90% of the time.

think of all the friendzoners (including me) that could of avoided this crap if i had just asked myself those BIG PICTURE questions.

1.b DONT MAKE EXCUSES FOR THEM, THAT SHOULD OTHERWISE BE MADE BY THEM.
this is for when people read those big picture questions and act like "im still not sure!" really? you arent sure of the difference between if she is only being friendly and civil with returning questions in conversation or if she actaully gives a shit about the specifics of your life???

this is so simple i cant believe i was this dumb, lets take the original big picture questions and dissect how you shouldnt make excuses for them, where they should make their own:

-"the only reason she doesnt ask as probing of questions as i do is because she is shy/playing hard to get/just got out of a relationship"
again, dont make excuses FOR HER. if she doesnt make them, then you are to assume that she in fact doesnt give a shit about your life more than a friend level.

-"she doesnt wait up for me when im not walking step for step with her out of class because shes busy, she really needed to make that phone call instead i guess"
DONT MAKE THAT EXCUSE FOR HER!

2. Not valuing yourself enough.

How great can this person be, if they dont want to be with YOU, the greatest person in YOUR OWN LIFE???? it seems so simple, but really, i think the attraction just blinds us to seeing this oh so simple one.

do you really want to be with someone who is so dense as to not like you? (i realise this sounds narcissistic, im assuming the people reading this probably dont suffer from it )

so to review: the attraction blinds us to the following:
1. its actaully really ****ing simple to see if she 'likes' you, as long as you dont over analyze it.
2. When she does something that to outsider say, she doesnt like you, DONT MAKE EXCUSES FOR HER, that SHE should make for herself.
3. why the hell would you want to be in a relationship where you have to be constantly "proving" yourself??? seriously wtf was i thinking???

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
This here by calls to meeting the sad fact that most INFP males and myself....are most of the time...stuck in the friendzone...

EDIT: this happens almost always with SJs but even when i meet an NF, im still just relegated to being Leelas Fry (futurama)...

EDIT2: if we could possibly hear some success stories here? ( i actually didnt create this thread with one particular girl in mind).or tips on how to not ever end up there in the first place? (usaully i get, be more direct, indicate more sexual interest earlier....but i dont want to be an ESTP!!!)

i dunno how angry girls will get, but butt slapping works for me. lol

one girl told me she gets a tingly feeling down there when I do it! LOLLLLL

i think i have the timing and the mischevious look down for the butt slapping paradigm shift from friend to " flirtatious potential" lol

but seriously, don't listen to me...

Kanerou

MBTI Type
_NFP

i think i have the timing and the mischevious look down for the butt slapping paradigm shift from friend to " flirtatious potential" lol

No, don't listen to him. Some girl may kick your behind. And it could get you labeled as a pervert. Dating chances will probably go down from there.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

:devil::nice: ....

dont worry, im aware that your joking....

....you are....joking.... :shock:

right? :D

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram

EDIT: this happens almost always with SJs but even when i meet an NF, im still just relegated to being Leelas Fry (futurama)...

EDIT2: if we could possibly hear some success stories here? ( i actually didnt create this thread with one particular girl in mind).or tips on how to not ever end up there in the first place? (usaully i get, be more direct, indicate more sexual interest earlier....but i dont want to be an ESTP!!!)

I'm captain of the friend zone. I do hold back when it comes to meeting girls... or when I'm around people. I like to test the waters and make sure anyone is up for listening to what I have to say. I guess one can assume it's kind of like a test, but I generally go easy on people.

JRT

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
ugh I hate the friend zone and can relate to it 100% it's getting old at this point in the game!

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I TOTALLY agree. A lot of the girls I hang out just see me as 'average', and a lot of people fail to look deep. I hate to say it, but I get the impression that people, more so my age, don't understand me, and they give up there. I do have friends, and a few of them know me for who I truly am. It really frustrates me though, how shallow a lot of people are..and they leave it at that. Whatever, though I'm young, I'll find a nice place somewhere in my adventures.

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
Hah, I've had many a crush on INFP guy friends and made it known. None of them worked out, and ended up hurting our friendships. :(

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hah, I've had many a crush on INFP guy friends and made it known. None of them worked out, and ended up hurting our friendships. :(

See? See?! I tell people that friendships are put at risk by that, but a lot of people seem to doubt how seriously I worry about it.

And, sorry to hear that.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
It is my belief that INFp/j get stuck in the friend zone because they aren't forward enough, fast enough.

In my experience they don't express interest until it's far too late. This one INFP was really interested in me, and I actually really fancied him too. He had zero confidence that a girl like me would ever look at a guy like him though, so he didn't express anything but friendly interest.

By the time he did express interest, he had become too much of a close friend and confidante, and I no longer felt the attraction necessary to take it further.

I'm not saying you need to leap at her first time, but don't wait for months before saying that you would like to go on a date.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is my belief that INFp/j get stuck in the friend zone because they aren't forward enough, fast enough.

Hah! Story of my life for the first 21 years! A girl would crush on me (and I'd often notice it), but until I got to know her better and feel safe around her I couldn't bring myself to make a move. By that time she put me into the friend zone so when I started to make a move it was clear my chance had passed.

To fix that I finally had to give my permission to simply 'date' her, and that I didn't need to be falling madly in love with her to have permission to kiss her.