• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJs and others who thought they were INFJ

hazelsees

MBTI Type
INFJ
Why are you INFJ?
Or for others who thought they were INFJ at one time, why did you think you were INFJ?

How do you relate to Ni or Fe? What do they mean to you...or work for you?

I only know one other INFJ in real life and we are quite a bit alike. However, the INFJs here are so different from each other. It appears. People are complicated and many things go into a person's make up--upbringing, culture, tragedy, life experiences, gender, illness.

So...what makes you INFJ.
Or what made you decide that you are not INFJ.

Thank you. :)

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
Hello.

I was typed as an INFJ once. I don't think I am, though. I didn't pick that for myself at first. Still, I didn't mind feeling like that was my type.

I saw myself as someone using Fe because I thought that Fe meant being warm/friendly. Also, I like exploring people's inner world, my own included (I call it seeing the quiet fire).
I have this weird way of explaining my experiences. So let's say I am remembering what it's like touring a new home or something, I'll describe how the atmosphere affected me/what mood it put me in/where it took me inside of my mind. I think that is how I thought I used Ni.

Anyway, I decided that I might not use Fe as my primary judging function, mainly because I don't understand it yet. I am certain of being a feeler... I think.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This could require more thought, but I'll add something. I first thought it because that is how I tested before I knew anything about MBTI. I relate strongly to Ni because I do tend too approach life in an iNuitive, abstract, big picture sort of way. I have an enormous need for internal coherency and some kinds of external coherency. I have a dichotomy of distant observation and visceral empathy which also makes me think Ni-Fe. My thinking function is much more Ti and internalized. My inner world feels like Ni-Ti because it is distant, analytical, non-linear wholistic, drawn to the vastness of reality, and can process logic and that sort of nebulous aspects of reality that defy words.

I think I relate to Fe-Se externally because I am very much go with the flow in these two aspects and also internalize these. I'm deeply affected by extremes of Fe and Se in my external environment. I think as an INFJ I experience the whole Fe thing extremely differently that others might because I'm not group oriented. I am intrigued by abstract sociological systems and think about those a lot, but when it comes to my own morality and emotional/social experiences, I have to focus individually, although I focus easily on someone outside myself. I look deeply inside people and so can only handle one at time. Same is true of sensory things. I can experience whatever I encounter rather intensely and so am quickly overwhelmed by these and can't handle too much at a time.

I think that is also because I try to create coherency between the inner and outer worlds. Ni tries to construct a sense of the whole of reality and so I internalize more details than I can quickly sort through. I have to take a lot of time to make sense of each encounter with the outside world.

Edit: Also, I think that if you don't relate to being a T-dom or an F-dom, it is important to realize that an N-dom or S-dom are completely different. People on MBTI analysis tend to still look to the T or F function, but I think being an N-dom makes a person just as different from T or F as those are from each other. People who are really strong Ni or Ne-dom should be a little harder to peg in terms of F or T, but I suppose that is just my opinion, although it seems like at least a somewhat educated guess.

hazelsees

MBTI Type
INFJ
Thank you, [MENTION=14857]fia[/MENTION]. Thank you, [MENTION=18445]thoughtlost[/MENTION].

Fia, I relate to much of what you said, I just would never be able to express it in such a way.

Noting what you said about Fe being different for INFJs.

To me, Fe is the thing that keeps me in "real life" and not in my head. Even when I want to be quiet and alone, Fe will make me want to see to another person's needs, which is often just a friendly word or ear. It's what I use to quietly "feel out" someone when I first meet them. I listen, warmly nod or smile at the appropriate places and once I've figured them out (somewhat), I can adjust to what they need or need me to be for them.

Is that Fe?

The INFJs here appear to be so vastly different from one another, it's confusing.
Keeping in mind that I am not attached to the INFJ label, am I an INFJ? Does anyone have an opinion?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To me, Fe is the thing that keeps me in "real life" and not in my head. Even when I want to be quiet and alone, Fe will make me want to see to another person's needs, which is often just a friendly word or ear. It's what I use to quietly "feel out" someone when I first meet them. I listen, warmly nod or smile at the appropriate places and once I've figured them out (somewhat), I can adjust to what they need or need me to be for them.

Is that Fe?

The INFJs here appear to be so vastly different from one another, it's confusing.
Keeping in mind that I am not attached to the INFJ label, am I an INFJ? Does anyone have an opinion?
I'll try to remember to notice. I have noticed that you internalize things which is also in INFJ descriptions, and what you have said here sounds INFJ to me.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Before I discovered the MBTI I noticed that my thinking pattern was weird and I tried to explain it to other people and say it's like "a bunch of goldfish trying to eat a piece of bread". Then I read the Ni description and went "OMG. That's Ni!"

I also identify with Fe, ever since I understood what it was about. In fact, I never knew Fi existed until I learned about the MBTI.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I met some sane Ni doms and some insane Ni doms.

The insane ones taught me I am not an Ni dom the sane ones taught me the value of Ni.

Architect

MBTI Type
INTP
As a young musician I thought I was an INFJ, then I thought INTJ (I liked thinking this), but finally realized it was INTP. The reasons are ...

• Only basic knowledge of MBTI (didn't know about the functions and the dominant-inferior dynamic)
  • Since I was a musician and idealized it due to an inferior INTP Fe grip I wanted to believe I was a INFJ mystic
  • Misunderstanding myself due to youth and inexperience

Eventually I married an INFJ and it was obvious I wasn't. As time went on and I learned more about MBTI it became clear that I was an INTP obsessive.

The best way to type yourself or another is to recognize the dominant first, then recognize the inferior, often by looking for inferior grip experiences.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Some factors that make me think I am INFJ

- identification with the sentiments/responses/reactions of many INFJs here, despite as being slightly differently "flavoured"
- love of analogies, from a Ni tendency to look for common threads between things that not everyone would view as being in the same category.
- projection of observed trends and behaviour patterns into predicting what I can expect in the future - this seems to be a Ni thing as well
- Fe orientation towards other people, using Ni to decide how best to interact with them. Needing other's responses to react to to sort out my own thoughts and articulate them. Need for discussion to clear my head of excess baggage so that I can go on with decision making.
- Ti need for preciseness and accuracy/classification before wanting the discussion to develop further. Need for developing thoughts as fully as possible on my own before expressing them to others.
- Noticing that I had similar reactions to a whole bunch of people (whom I later found out all had a Fi-Te perspective that was very foreign to me.
- Natural talents/career tendencies match up well - service oriented, people oriented - counselling, teaching, humanities, arts
- Negative Se traits coming out when under stress - sleeping patterns, eating patterns, spending patterns
- Need for connection to people, while still requiring recharging time in a less social environment.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Some factors that make me think I am INFJ

- identification with the sentiments/responses/reactions of many INFJs here, despite as being slightly differently "flavoured"
- love of analogies, from a Ni tendency to look for common threads between things that not everyone would view as being in the same category.
- projection of observed trends and behaviour patterns into predicting what I can expect in the future - this seems to be a Ni thing as well
- Fe orientation towards other people, using Ni to decide how best to interact with them. Needing other's responses to react to to sort out my own thoughts and articulate them. Need for discussion to clear my head of excess baggage so that I can go on with decision making.
- Ti need for preciseness and accuracy/classification before wanting the discussion to develop further. Need for developing thoughts as fully as possible on my own before expressing them to others.
- Noticing that I had similar reactions to a whole bunch of people (whom I later found out all had a Fi-Te perspective that was very foreign to me.
- Natural talents/career tendencies match up well - service oriented, people oriented - counselling, teaching, humanities, arts
- Negative Se traits coming out when under stress - sleeping patterns, eating patterns, spending patterns
- Need for connection to people, while still requiring recharging time in a less social environment.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I thought I was INFJ since 2015 up until recent because of being a people-pleaser on some level, and having a fe influence. I thought having an emotional influence and trying to figure other people out equaled fe. Having several diagnoses affecting how I process the world + anxiety kind of threw me off. I tested as it quite a few times too.

Everyone has emotions, but having too much emotional stimuli or emotions forced out of me is an unpleasant experience. Identifying a lot with ni descriptions too, but ne is overall more accurate for me. I am terrible with se, so I doubt it's in my main stack but I can pinpoint and identify with high ne + low si. I relate more to it as an inferior or a tertiary.

I am awkward with fe, so while I'm sure it's somewhere in my main stack,n I highly doubt it's my auxillary function.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I thought I was INFJ for a long time. Many people still see me as one. I keep a little bottle of pepper spray on hand to obscure my being and keep the mystery alive. Don't look too hard.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I thought I was INFJ by looking at dichotomies and functions.
I simply had to be an introvert, and intuitive was clear too,
I related for more to Ti and Fe than to Te and Fi. (getting things done and feeling things? not me!)
And after weighing the different types against each other, INFJ seemed most likely.
My identification with INFJ brought glad feelings; suddenly I could explore my feeling,
No longer the apathetic logician, but a conceptualiser with dormant social skills,
But I became confused,
I thought I was this type, now that type, now another,
ISTJ stuck for a while, due to misunderstandings, but I grew into it,
Then INFJ won out again,
And now I know I am INFJ, insofar as such a thing can be known,
Because I see my functions go one by one in the NiFeTi etc order,
And on a narrative level, the INFJ story fits me well,
It allows me to understand certain things,
Though I keep in mind it is only part of the story,
And other types pad the story out more,
And still much more is not typological.

I'd like to know more about the aspects of people that are not type related. I may uncover a lot of it along my way.

noname3788

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
INFJ was my most common result when taking tests, and also when asking others to type me. And at first it seems to make sense: Having Ni-Fe explained why the N preference would often be hidden behind a mask or orderliness, adjusted to the perception of other people. I tried to attempt to do things I was somehow meant to do, while accomodating most people around me.
At least until I realized that it wasn't a natural preference at all. It actually was just a manifestation of fear, anxiety and inauthenticity. I still don't know which type I actually am, but I do know that it basically doesn't matter at all. I've recently became comfortable with standing out and just being myself, and being alone with myself, which I consider a success. Ultimately, INFJ-like behavior is, for myself at least, an indicator for unhealthiness.

Opal Star

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not an INFJ, but I suspected that I was one for a few months.
What made me think that I was an INFJ:
- Being an emotional person (emotionality is not mutually exclusive to feelers)
- Being an imaginative person (imagination is not mutually exclusive to intuitives)
- High-minded idealism and wanting to make the future just (I've heard that many INFJs would want to do this, but I realize that this trait is from my enneagram type, which is 1w2)
- Being single-minded and obsessive when it comes to my goals and interests
- Perfectionism
- Occasional struggles with "living in the moment" (but it is not an issue to the point of it being an inferior function)
- Being analytical and emotional
- Emotionally expressive
- Ambiverted
- Loves to learn new things
Why I Am Not An INFJ:
- Naturally detail-oriented
- Lives by internal morals more than external morals (Fi)
- Is blind to things such as social harmony and social norms at times (low Fe)
- Has trouble with reading people (INFJs have no problems with this)
- More task-oriented than anything else (Te)
- Arguments are more factual than based on internal logic or common morals (Te)
- Thinks more with head than heart (Te > Fi > Fe)
- Prioritizes fairness and standards (Te?)
- Not very agreeable (Te/Fi)

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My first mistype (and 5 year long mistype) was INFJ because I recognized my usage of Fe, but INFJ was consistently labeled as being more "5 like" and "logical" then it really is. Being that I have a sensory disorder, I related very heavily with inferior Se, as I have a disgusting lack of attentiveness to details and am unable to "live in the moment." The real world is foreign to me and I struggle to interact with it in a way that makes sense and, being that I have a disgustingly low processing speed, hate unpredictability and struggle much with athletics. Of course, much of this is just bad stereotypes and general inferior/weak Pe things.

Ni was also very relatable, especially since my entire life has revolved around goals and planning for an idealized future that I could potentially create, an excessive focus and clingy-ness to the future, and an attraction/comfort with the abstract over the sensory realm. I was also very spiritual when I first got into typology (ie. 13) and my aunt had briefly convinced me that, like her, I could have "psychic abilities," which meant I kind of related to the whole esoteric "i aM INFJ, I cAN seE ThE fUTure" sort of bs. Much of this also applies to Si though (and the latter is just plain delusion), eventually I realized INFJ was incorrect, though it still gets suggested for me now and again.

LenaOnTheMoon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I realized I was an INFJ half a year ago when I was first typed. To be honest it was a spellbinding discovery for me because the descriptions explained why I was alienated by my peers during childhood.

I’m not sure what Ni means exactly but I feel that it’s our inner understanding of the world and insights in the development of all things. Since I have an overactive imagination and an instinctive passion towards all things abstract (like philosophy and psychology), not to mention that I‘m more inclined to follow my heart than my head, I can relate to Ni. There was this time when I had a strong feeling about something and none of my friends believed me because I had no evidence, but then it turned out I was right all along, and I was like AH-HA! I also like to psychoanalyze myself and other for fun, since it’s always fascinating to delve into the world of human behaviors and motives, along with people’s past experiences and how they shape the person’s attitude towards life.

Fe is somewhat relatable to me because in middle school I was constantly affected by the emotional charge around me, especially the negative ones, as if I were an emotion-absorbing sponge. My friends see me as someone with high emotional intelligence because I can empathize with their struggles, but actually back in middle school I never used my emotional intelligence much because I tried to anchor myself in the direction of an INTJ. Now that I acknowledge my true self, I realize that I’ve been giving my friends “free therapy” from time to time—listening to their problems in general and providing emotional support, before helping them analyze the problem from an objective view. To facilitate understanding towards someone’s pain I don’t have to imagine myself in their shoes, because the melancholy hits me like a wave and before I know it, I’m absorbed into it. I sense when someone’s feeling down and I give them a hug and ask them what’s wrong. Just like that. Sometimes, to help my friends address their problems, I refer to my own experiences. The only downside of my Fe is that sometimes I get too caught up in other people’s problem to concentrate on my day-to-day tasks, and other times I attract toxic/dependent people who need a venting space for the negative feelings that they are unable to process themselves. In this case I pull an “INFJ doorslam” on them, which I usually don’t do for the sake of not hurting feelings, unless the recipient breaks my trust or uses me for an ulterior motive.

The thing that separates me from most INFJs is that my Fi is strong as well, a reason why I was typed as an enneagram 4w5, thus I can be self-absorbed at times. A fun fact is that INFJ Type 4s‘ behavior is similar to that of an INFP, so sometimes I was typed as that. But I don’t really think I’m a Prospecting type because I love to make plans and I’m not really spontaneous. And unlike INFPs I can be both analytical (explaining for my wing 5) and emotional. On a side note, as a Type 4, my sense of identity can be so strong that I pride in being ”rare” or “unique”, sometimes appearing condescending towards the ordinary. I guess this explains why I was so happy to see my MBTI being so rare. I’ve always wanted to distinguish myself from those around me, which is why instead of looking for similarities in connections, I look for differences, which drives away some friends. I establish myself through placing an emphasis on my “weirdness” which some people find hard to understand. To be honest, there are times when even I can’t read into myself, which is where the Type Indicator comes into play.

Overall, I believe that people are too complicated to be defined with a specific personality type, which is why I combine multiple personality tests. They help us dive into our hearts and understand the people around us. MBTI should not be what drives 16 types of people apart. Instead it should be about promoting better connection and collaboration.

Last edited: