• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFPs who want to be INFJs...

Catharsia

MBTI Type
N/A
I've been seeing this everywhere. There are too many INFPs who think they're INFJ because INFJs are, supposedly, rarer. INFPs want to feel special, therefore INFJ sounds more appealing.

There's also this common idea that INFJs are "better" because people think of them as these emotional/rational super hybrids. Whereas, INFPs are thought of as these silly/idealistic/hopeless romantics who have no logical processing abilities.

In order to make actual INFPs feel better about being an INFP (because it's not a bad thing FFS), what strengths do INFPs have that INFJs lack?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFJs can be sticks in the mud sometimes. I think our senses of humor are better and we're less uptight.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
NPs are better at bouncing around and exploring random ideas than their more focused NJ counterparts.

I also wouldn't really say that INFJs seem more rational than INFPs, even if they are more impartial. When I think of rationalization, much of it involves the construction of theories and creative imagination, which INFPs tend to do well.

INFJs would have their own strengths too of course, like transformation into the future, but INFPs are more free.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been seeing this everywhere. There are too many INFPs who think they're INFJ because INFJs are, supposedly, rarer. INFPs want to feel special, therefore INFJ sounds more appealing.

There's also this common idea that INFJs are "better" because people think of them as these emotional/rational super hybrids. Whereas, INFPs are thought of as these silly/idealistic/hopeless romantics who have no logical processing abilities.

In order to make actual INFPs feel better about being an INFP (because it's not a bad thing FFS), what strengths do INFPs have that INFJs lack?
Is this premise correct? Is that what people think in general? Aside from the whole "INFJs are psychic" thrill, I don't see any reason that INFPs would ever want to be INFJs. I didn't know that INFJs are seen as "emotional/rational super-hybrids". I suspect that there are a number of female INFJs who are actually INTJs, or possibly there is a third category inbetween that could account for that hybrid theory. I always thought that INFPs were considered much more likable in general, seen as having doe eyes and being easy-going and such.

Catharsia

MBTI Type
N/A
Is this premise correct? Is that what people think in general? Aside from the whole "INFJs are psychic" thrill, I don't see any reason that INFPs would ever want to be INFJs. I didn't know that INFJs are seen as "emotional/rational super-hybrids". I suspect that there are a number of female INFJs who are actually INTJs, or possibly there is a third category inbetween that could account for that hybrid theory. I always thought that INFPs were considered much more likable in general, seen as having doe eyes and being easy-going and such.

I'm not sure if this is the case on Typology Central, but in several INFJ communities I've observed, there seems to be an influx of INFPs who mistyped themselves. INFPs place great importance on their individuality; since INFJs have been recorded as the rarest of types, INFPs see that as a fitting label since they consider themselves to be unique.

INFJs have Ti, which is something that promotes a degree of impartiality on their part - and it's their tertiary, so it's not as though they're completely inept at it. Many INFJs are mistaken for INTJs due to this. INFPs, on the other hand, do not utilize Ti; instead, they have Te as their inferior (Te does not strive to internally understand logic, but rather, apply it externally). In short, since INFJs have tertiary thinking and INFPs have inferior thinking, people quickly jump to the conclusion that INFJs are more logical/reasonable. No one wants to be thought of as illogical, of course, so you have this group of INFPs who want to be INFJ because they believe them to be both more unique AND superior (I personally do not agree with this idea, but since there are INFPs who think that way, I believed it would be good to have a thread that highlighted the unique strengths of INFPs over INFJs).

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure if this is the case on Typology Central, but in several INFJ communities I've observed, there seems to be an influx of INFPs who mistyped themselves. INFPs place great importance on their individuality; since INFJs have been recorded as the rarest of types, INFPs see that as a fitting label since they consider themselves to be unique.

INFJs have Ti, which is something that promotes a degree of impartiality on their part - and it's their tertiary, so it's not as though they're completely inept at it. Many INFJs are mistaken for INTJs due to this. INFPs, on the other hand, do not utilize Ti; instead, they have Te as their inferior (Te does not strive to internally understand logic, but rather, apply it externally). In short, since INFJs have tertiary thinking and INFPs have inferior thinking, people quickly jump to the conclusion that INFJs are more logical/reasonable. No one wants to be thought of as illogical, of course, so you have this group of INFPs who want to be INFJ because they believe them to be both more unique AND superior (I personally do not agree with this idea, but since there are INFPs who think that way, I believed it would be good to have a thread that highlighted the unique strengths of INFPs over INFJs).
I think it is a good idea to focus on INFP strengths. We've just recently had some rather hard-core INFJ bashing on this site, so hopefully that won't happen again. I won't share the details, but suffice it to say, "Hitler was an INFJ".

I think INFPs are a wonderful type and one of my favorites for the tendency for inner peace and holding their ground on ethical issues. There is also the ability to have very detailed and accurate perception about subjective systems. When they are correct in this insight, it runs possibly deeper than any other's insight. They can hit the nail on the head in systems that are fuzzy and difficult to define. There is also a logic to their Fi, since it is a rational function. The group as a whole is extremely varied, and I suspect more than any other type - except possibly ISFP, they do articulate their uniqueness as individuals, rather than mimicking the outside world. If any type can find a true sense of self, it is the INFP.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I admire INFPs for their individuality and for what fia said, holding their own on ethical issues. I also find them just as creative and inventive as INFJs. It just manifest itself differently.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION].

You're the devil.

I don't really see much of what you're describing in this forum (INFPs wishing they were INFJs). But unfortunately (and I presume, completely inadvertently) you have worded this in such a way that is (I suspect) going to wind a couple INFPs here up so tightly there'll be no living with them. You might want to hide your immortal soul in a safe place while there's still time.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
*chuckle*

Yeah, I so want to rise to the occasion, but around here, the INFPs can tell you clearly why they're better than INFJs, and besides, I'm way too battered by the recent events to have the energy to go buttering somebody else up. Can't imagine why INFPs or anybody else would want to be an INFJ anyway, srsly.

"doe eyes" :D

Catharsia

MBTI Type
N/A
*chuckle*

Yeah, I so want to rise to the occasion, but around here, the INFPs can tell you clearly why they're better than INFJs, and besides, I'm way too battered by the recent events to have the energy to go buttering somebody else up. Can't imagine why INFPs or anybody else would want to be an INFJ anyway, srsly.

"doe eyes" :D

Recent events? Sorry, I don't really lurk here much and honestly have no idea what's going on. I never knew there was some kind of hatred developing towards INFJs, sorry to hear that... I've only seen nothing but love for them (and the idea of them), so that's pretty strange to me.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've never heard any INFP who wants to be INFJ. And love for INFJ? Nope -- that doesn't happen anymore. Now we're an evil, manipulative, controlling bunch :laugh:

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I've seen a lot of INFPs who wish they were INTPs and a lot of INFJs who think they must be INFPs because they're not that organised, but I can't recall seeing many INFPs who mistake themselves for INFJs. I could see the attraction of INFJs, but most NPs seem pretty clear on being NPs. I guess it could be easy to confuse Ni and Ne if you were new to the game. I myself don't fully understand how Ni works or even what it looks like irl. I just know what Ne looks like. I know when I first took the test I came up as an INTP, largely because I saw myself as an analytical person. Whether that was cultural, educational or mistaking Fi for Ti, I'm not sure.

Then there are the INFPs who read the profile and say "Wait, I'm not a rose-tinted glasses flake" and look elsewhere. Many INFPs are actually quite dark, and can be overly cynical. And when they look at the happy bouncy examples of INFPs that do in fact exist they dismiss it as a possibility.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't think we have a lot of that particular thing here. Nobody wants to be the crazy ex/doorslaming bitch with judgey, overbearing Fe.

Also, we have lots of wonderful INFJs and INFPs around here. We come at things differently, but often arrive at the same place. Because we're nice. And anyone who says differently can get a taste of my minivan's front bumper.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We used to have that around here though, years ago. Then the INFPs were the overemotional, sensitive, whiny bunch with no practical skills and INFjs were treasured as altruistic and saint-like.

These days, much less so.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Recent events? Sorry, I don't really lurk here much and honestly have no idea what's going on. I never knew there was some kind of hatred developing towards INFJs, sorry to hear that... I've only seen nothing but love for them (and the idea of them), so that's pretty strange to me.

I can't speak for other forums besides Perc but here everything tends to flip onto it's head. Although I have met some pretty crazy alleged INFJ's here.

I personally wouldn't want to have that cognition, it merely sounds like an inducer towards loneliness and insanity.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
We used to have that around here though, years ago. Then the INFPs were the overemotional, sensitive, whiny bunch with no practical skills and INFjs were treasured as altruistic and saint-like.

These days, much less so.
Yeah, it was fun while it lasted. :laugh:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, it was fun while it lasted. :laugh:

Hehe, I bet. But I doubt the INFPs remember that period that fondly. :D

For that matter, I personally believe it probably inspired the current trend to be proud of being an INFP and what that entails.

A

A_priori

INFPs and INFJs are not that different in my collective experience. We're both emotional, judgmental and highly idealistic. If you follow socionics it suggest that FI/FE/NI/NE are all strong functions for the INFJ and INFP so really you can look at both types as very similar. I'm sorry but if INFJs think that INFPs are more sensitive, how do you measure that?? It's just something to consider when you think your the king at knowing so much about a highly outdated and subjective test. Just saying.. I can see myself as either because I identify with both FI/FE. Whose to say that INFPs are not NI/FI etc.. Or should I follow the rules of the test and stick to conventional ways of thinking ??

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Grin, I bet. But I doubt the INFPs remember that period that fondly.
I don't remember that part very clearly. I would imagine every type has been beaten up on around here at one time or another and most of us are going to remember when it happened to us more than when it happened to somebody else because humans are nasty self-absorbed creatures. I would imagine it's Sensors that get it the worst around here, overall, especially SJs.