• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Needs

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
I'm just curious.

What is more important to you...

Your needs or the needs of those who are important to you?

heart

heart on fire
I gave my answer in the Fe Fi thread. Under certain circumstances I would sacrifice my own needs for those of a loved one, but more often would try to work out a compromise with those who are on equal footing with me. Life is often not 100 percent cut and dried.

If someone were dependent on me, it goes without saying their needs come first, unless it were a need that I had to maintain to go on for their sake. It gets complicated.

I am curious as to what your take is on this question. Do you always put other's needs above your own? Or when it is an equal, are you more apt to try and work out a compromise?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
It depends on how important the needs are to my emotional/mental balance.

If the needs are an integral part of that balance, then my needs are more important. If I am unbalanced, then I will be ill-equipped to keep up my part of a relationship, because I won't have the strength and the resources.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I often forget about my needs and focus more on those that are important to me. A few years ago i would have said that my needs were more important, but its different when you are responsible for someone else.

heart

heart on fire
I often forget about my needs and focus more on those that are important to me. A few years ago i would have said that my needs were more important, but its different when you are responsible for someone else.

That's going to be true with a baby for sure.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
the needs of many outweigh the needs of one

I believe that
as long as no bull-session is involved
if that happens
i'm a selfish arrogant snobbish person

LOL

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
That's going to be true with a baby for sure.

yes definitely, you have no other choice really! I am also not near as selfish as i used to be in general, i grew up a bit and realized that the world didn't revolve around me. I'm much more interested in making other people happy now, especially the people who put up with me being selfish for so long.

helen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Warning: confused ramblings ahead. :) (I mean my remarks, not the quoted stuff!)

It depends on how important the needs are to my emotional/mental balance.

If the needs are an integral part of that balance, then my needs are more important. If I am unbalanced, then I will be ill-equipped to keep up my part of a relationship, because I won't have the strength and the resources.

This describes me pretty well right now. During times of emotional growth, sometimes it seems that I have to make my needs more important, else I will become fragmented and have nothing to give.

It doesn't actually feel like I'm being selfish, but perhaps I am because during these times I become my highest priority. I dunno. Paul Tillich discusses in one or other of his books the difference between being what is commonly characterized as "self centered" and "having a centered self" which he recommends. I hope that when I do place highest importance on my own needs, it's more of the latter than the former, but I'd guess it's generally mixed.

I also suppose that if you place your needs first sometimes so that you can be healthier for the good of another person (or people), that might actually be putting their needs first, indirectly.

On second thoughts, I'm not entirely sure I understand the question. Surely there is some give and take in all relationships, and you have to evaluate whose needs are the most pressing in any given situation?

I am also not near as selfish as i used to be in general, i grew up a bit and realized that the world didn't revolve around me. I'm much more interested in making other people happy now, especially the people who put up with me being selfish for so long.

I believe I'm beginning this process (growing up and realizing that the world does not revolve around me), and I hope the results for me are as you describe. I want to be a more giving, selfless person.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm just curious.

I don't think it's one or the other for me.

It is a combination. Others' needs are important, but at the same time, my needs are on equal footing as theirs. Years ago I was not aware as much about my own needs, or didn't pay attention to them, so I always deferred to the other persons' needs over mine, and did my utmost to make them happy. However, over time I have realized that I don't think that is terribly healthy for my own sense of self and growth, so I take what I consider a more balanced approach now, and I do pay attention to what I need as well.

Typically I don't encounter THAT much friction in my day to day life between others, and I might often still pay more attention to others' needs in situations where my needs aren't being completely overrun. But in cases where it's really out of balance, these days I'd work to find a compromise or assert my own needs more, and bring into the open for discussion. I guess I'm not as hesitant anymore to state my needs and when a line might have been crossed, but I always talk about it in a respectful way, and don't attack/accuse the other person in the process. But again, I don't think it's that often that I have such a strong need that this scenario even comes up.

In the end, I know I'm good for no one when I'm stressed out, or am overextending myself, so yeah, if I need to take time out to get back to my baseline again, I'll speak those needs and have my alone time, or whatever it is I need, in order to get back to being able to interact with others in a positive way.

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
What is more important to you...Your needs or the needs of those who are important to you?

Neither. I prefer mutual choices that best allow for everyone's needs to be met, which is to say, a compromise where no one "gives in."

cheers,
Ian

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Sometimes, when needs begin to diverge, so must life paths.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My needs. I am the only one who can guarantee that my needs will be satisfied. My *wants*, on the other hand, may be freely subducted by the *needs* of those who are important to me.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
For me it is just a pros and cons thing. If I can help someone get their needs without too much of a sacrifice to my own, I would be willing to put theirs in front of mine. However, I can't just throw what I need away completely and be some kind of a martyr; no one appreciates a martyr. I know that from experience.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm just curious.

Depends on the situation. Usually the needs of my children come first. But I can also take time for myself.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
but seriously
to give and share with someone who will appreciate it
to tend to other's hurts

to walk at night