• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFPs, why won't you let me into your pants?

Typhus

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
:rolleyes: Lovely. First we get trashed by the Ti-doms about Fi, now the Ni-doms ride in to finish our Ne. You gotto wonder what the hell it is INTJs and INTPs really see in us, considering their interest in our breed. All we need is for ISTPs to come in here and finish the job. Only IxTxs could decide to both try and get in your pants while criticising everything about you that is different about you from them. Why is it you boys don't just date each other? Problem solved :alttongue:

:wink:

I know you were joking here, but I think you were only half-joking. You ENFPs really seem to take comments rather personally. I was wondering out loud, without intending to be rude or hurtful.

What I meant to say: I love ENFPs, but I don't undertand them! They do all these weird, awesome things and... what yes, now that you mention it some of them do come off as airheaded, I wonder why that -

*Typhus is set on fire and lowered into a pit of horny crabs* :huh:

So let's start over. I'm here to figure you weird creatures out. Don't think I'm here to troll. But if you believe in weird things (astrology, homeopathy etc.), I won't automatically condemn you for it, but I expect you will be providing me proof to support this claim.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know you were joking here, but I think you were only half-joking. You ENFPs really seem to take comments rather personally. I was wondering out loud, without intending to be rude or hurtful.

What I meant to say: I love ENFPs, but I don't undertand them! They do all these weird, awesome things and... what yes, now that you mention it some of them do come off as airheaded, I wonder why that -

So let's start over. I'm here to figure you weird creatures out. Don't think I'm here to troll. But if you believe in weird things (astrology, homeopathy etc.), I won't automatically condemn you for it, but I expect you will be providing me proof to support this claim.

With him Im joking because I know Freeeekyyy, I have more of a background of information on him and I know what he meant when he said what he said. With you, unfortunately, all I have to go on atm is this thread. On top of that, you were displaying signs of a typical problem that ENFPs tend to have with IxTxs, and you asked what Fi was about, so I decided to give you the insider perspective. In my later posts, I did acknowledge that from your reactions, I could tell you don't mean to look down on us, and that I do appreciate.

That said - your Ti is still fighting with our Fi.

Your problem lies in the bolded. Unlike you, we do not approach things with natural scepticism. We do not ask critical questions first, nor do we take things apart. We see the options, the marvellous options if Astrology happens to be true (lets stick with that option). Does that mean we believe in it? Hell no, but we sure as hell are going to get excited in tinkering with it, learning all the ins and outs, what it means and gaining an oversight of what we can do with it and how it supposedly works. We *NEED* to be free to do that. It is how we investigate the world and how our creativity works. And creativity gets strangled when it gets judged, needs to be validated, gets critiqued in its early stages.

Then there is the second problem. You demanding and expecting shit hits our Fi.
Fi tends to believe in 'as long as I dont harm anyone, I can do what I want.' It also tends to value freedom of opinion and letting people be who *they* are, and not demanding them to be who you expect them to be.

... your Ti judges, critiques, expects and demands in a way that we a) cannot deliver b) arent suited to live up to and c) frankly...wouldnt even deliver on if we could, just to spite you for violating the things that make us who we are and what we treasure while telling us you supposedly like and respect who we are. => this is illogical and inconsistent, thus suspicious in Fi-logic. These factors do not add up. These are emotional gaps and inconsistencies that show up in a liar or someone who isn't aware that their pov isn't the pov of others in the world.

Now I'm gambling on the fact that you are in fact becoming aware that people look differently at the world, and that you are trying to learn *how* that works, hence I tried to explain to you again where we differ from you.

And now, Im waiting to see if you will actually *DO* something with that information. :)

While I can appreciate your Ti preference of needing logical proof and I understand that that is how you see the world (which is similar to how I was joking with Freeeekyyy, coz Ive already done my research on how he works and the fact that he means well), in a hypothetical world where I'm the ENFP you want to get with, you need to do the same for me to consider you as a partner. As a friend, I can probably flex and understand you re stil learning this.

Concretely, this means that if I were to actually date you and our lives would collide, you would get to demand me backing up shit logically (and Id hope youd give me the benefit of the doubt and help me with this as I suck at it) that affects *us* as a couple and our lives together.

HOWEVER. Stuff like astrology is none of your business, unless I want you to take part in it. Homeopathy and me taking it is NONE of your business, unless Im feeding it to you. If I want to believe they work, then it would be in your best interest for your sex life to stfu. At the very least. At best, Id enjoy you actually showing some respect for how I work and perhaps giving me the benefit of the doubt in trusting that maybe, I see something you don't in the things you have trouble not being critical of. Similarly, I'd understand that you don't live up to my Fi standards, that you live by different rules.

This is us as a couple.

As a friend, i'll expect nothing from you. I don't do expectations and I try to accept people for who they are, and I'll flex if necessary. I don't have an actual beef with you in general. In fact, I think you're rather interesting. And I could see myself befriending you. That said...

You're not dating/bed material though. Not at this point.

Im going to say this again - you might want to check out NFJs.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maybe because we love your flaws? :heart:

(See how flattering INTPs can be?)

Uh huh. Cute, but also a Fi-fallacy (coins a new term :D)

Loving our flaws by critiquing the crap out of them does not compute. There would be more d'awwws and goo-goo eyed looks instead :thelook:

This is more consistent with a guy ignoring the things that bug him (and whining about them later) coz he is a bit one-track-minded :coffee:

:smooch:

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Uh huh. Cute, but also a Fi-fallacy
You've passed the test!

(coins a new term :D)
Nice.

Loving our flaws by critiquing the crap out of them does not compute. There would be more d'awwws and goo-goo eyed looks instead :thelook:
Makes sense.

This is more consistent with a guy ignoring the things that bug him (and whining about them later) coz he is a bit one-track-minded :coffee:

:smooch:
:jesus:

I feel like you ENFPs want some compliments, but it's so hard to make them sound genuine enough for your standards that I usually don't even try.

On second thought, that statement could be deconstructed as a compliment of sorts.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For my part, I'm not after compliments. I'd just like to be able to me around you guys and not have you invalidate everything that comes out of my mouth or everything that I do :shrug:

I find it difficult to believe that you are romantically interested in someone whose modus operandi bugs you that much.

Starry

wow.

Typhus, I do not get the sense anyone here is doubting your sincerity in any way. And your desire to begin again certainly reinforces this notion that your intentions in this endeavor are pure. What is important for you to understand is that the response here is a function of your lack of proficiency in interpersonal communication. In other words, if you do not wish for an ENFP, or anyone for that matter, to take your comments personally then it is imperative you state them in a way that is not personal. Do you see?

You must know that words like 'airheaded' and 'weird' are negatively charged right? I don't know if it would be helpful for you to reference science and/or the scientific method in this instance but a survey or study that contained words like these would be immediately discredited and thrown-out because the language is highly subjective and known to skew results. <--This is merely what is happening to you here.

When someone uses language in this way it is a difficult thing to determine whether it is a result of laziness or prejudice. Your future success in the formulation of relationships, especially romantic partnerships, will be dependent on your acceptance of the fact that most people will error on the side of caution and will remove themselves from your company.

So when you say 'many ENFPs seem airheaded' <--I know you can explain that objectively. I know you can. So start doing it. And then you may start to see the responses you came here for.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Basically, typhus, you seem to have a problem a lot of INTPs have. I don't know how true this actually is, but you at least give the impression of trying too hard. Quit trying to fit into a certain social box and just be real. I'm not sure I know why you specifically target ENFPs though anyway. Just wait until you meet somebody you like, and then whatever type she happens to be, treat her accordingly. Maybe she's an ENFP, maybe not. And if it's just to understand and "prepare" yourself, then I think you're theoretically better fit with an ENTJ or ENFJ.

Starry

Basically, typhus, you seem to have a problem a lot of INTPs have. I don't know how true this actually is, but you at least give the impression of trying too hard. Quit trying to fit into a certain social box and just be real. I'm not sure I know why you specifically target ENFPs though anyway. Just wait until you meet somebody you like, and then whatever type she happens to be, treat her accordingly. Maybe she's an ENFP, maybe not. And if it's just to understand and "prepare" yourself, then I think you're theoretically better fit with an ENTJ or ENFJ.

freeekkyyy, what does 'trying too hard' mean to you? I guess I've never understood this phrase. Like, I can't even imagine being attracted to someone that wasn't 'trying too hard'. Is this advice meant to prevent Typhus from say...making a fool of himself in front of an individual or group? That it would be better for him to stay just as he is in order to save him from a little embarrassment? I am extraordinarily forgiving when it comes to the (temporary) embarrassments that may accompany 'trying too hard' (honestly, 'trying to hard' may just register with me as 'relatively passive behavior' because I constantly have a million things on my mind)... but find that absence of *life* in a person boring and unappealing. I mean, I'm struggling right now to put what I feel into words and I believe it's because I'm quite stagnated right now myself. I am uncomfortable with the thought that my own words betray the 3 or so people that may read this. But choosing to not 'try too hard' as a way of life...it seems unimaginable to me. It's possible this is an instinctual variant thing. Or perhaps these values are merely intensified in me by that pathway. Because I do feel a great deal of ENFPs want to be partnered with someone that is always imagining a better tomorrow. Which, of course, can only be obtained by way of a little 'trying too hard' and a gazillion embarrassments.

If Typhus returns I will have seen enough of him to say that...I admire his tenacity.

Another thing I don't quite understand is this notion that the solution to Typhus' relationship challenges is not self-improvement but rather 'find yourself an ENxJ.' [MENTION=13260]Rasofy[/MENTION] provided this same cure and I want to hear more about it. I realize my mother (ENFJ) and my sister (INFJ/eNFJ) may not be the common expression of this type... But I don't even want to know what would happen to Typhus if he even *thought* (he wouldn't even need to say it out loud...he wouldn't even need to complete the thought for that matter...merely forming the thought would be enough)... one of them were an airhead or weird or...7 wing.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Another thing I don't quite understand is this notion that the solution to Typhus' relationship challenges is not self-improvement but rather 'find yourself an ENxJ.' [MENTION=13260]Rasofy[/MENTION] provided this same cure and I want to hear more about it.
A while ago I read a beautiful "motivational poster" about mbti types in love, and the INTP one was "loving you is easy", which I think applies here. From my subjective perspective, ENFJs seem overall much easier to deal with, probably because their feelings make more immediate sense to me and also because their emotions are overall more controlled and smooth.

I realize my mother (ENFJ) and my sister (INFJ/eNFJ) may not be the common expression of this type... But I don't even want to know what would happen to Typhus if he even *thought* (he wouldn't even need to say it out loud...he wouldn't even need to complete the thought for that matter...merely forming the thought would be enough)... one of them were an airhead or weird or...7 wing.
Something to think about. :laugh:

Starry

A while ago I read a beautiful "motivational poster" about mbti types in love, and the INTP one was "loving you is easy", which I think applies here. From my subjective perspective, ENFJs seem overall much easier to deal with, probably because their feelings make more immediate sense to me and also because their emotions are overall more controlled and smooth.

I sat here for a really long time trying to figure out if I agreed or disagreed with the bolded. It's a really difficult call for me to make because ENFJs so phenomenal at completely controlling every aspect of any environment without you even knowing they are doing it...to be able to have that luxury. Whereas ENFPs tend to react more immediately because we don't want to deal with having to orchestrate anything. We need you to stop what you are doing now so we can get back to the business of thinking about a lot of crazy shit. I have definitely seen...even the loveliest of ENFJs that don't belong to my family...completely lose their emotional minds when their efforts to synchronize the entire world fail.

Still, I failed to synchronize my question. Perhaps there is some truth to these 'no matter how unlikeable and offensive I am to the majority of the world's population...I will *forever score* with >insert type<'...but I'm a bit skeptical. Even if there is in fact a substantial decrease in the number of misunderstandings...there will still be misunderstandings. Do you feel an average ENxJ would look past the comments and suggestions that appear in this thread if they were made in reference to them? I just think it is so dangerous to assign the blame to the other person's type...and wanted to see if you felt the same.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I sat here for a really long time trying to figure out if I agreed or disagreed with the bolded. It's a really difficult call for me to make because ENFJs so phenomenal at completely controlling every aspect of any environment without you even knowing they are doing it...to be able to have that luxury.
Isn't that lovely?

Whereas ENFPs tend to react more immediately because we don't want to deal with having to orchestrate anything. We need you to stop what you are doing now so we can get back to the business of thinking about a lot of crazy shit. I have definitely seen...even the loveliest of ENFJs that don't belong to my family...completely lose their emotional minds when their efforts to synchronize the entire world fail.
I suppose their lows are rarer but stronger, on average.

There was an interesting thread about FJ&TP vs TJ&FP courtship made by Wind up Rex a while ago, and what you mention seems compatible with the typical TJ&FP dynamics.

Still, I failed to synchronize my question. Perhaps there is some truth to these 'no matter how unlikeable and offensive I am to the majority of the world's population...I will *forever score* with >insert type<'...but I'm a bit skeptical.
I think there's some truth to it. I mean, you can't call anyone an airhead and expect the person to fall in love with you, but an ideal type should induce us to bring our best self (according to their standards) without much effort.

Even if there is in fact a substantial decrease in the number of misunderstandings...there will still be misunderstandings. Do you feel an average ENxJ would look past the comments and suggestions that appear in this thread if they were made in reference to them?
Covered.

I just think it is so dangerous to assign the blame to the other person's type...and wanted to see if you felt the same.
Agreed. I primarily blame dynamics though.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Metaphorically speaking. :wink:

I'm INTP and I've felt the magnetic pull that only ENFPs seem to have over me. But I scare away most of them. I'm not mean or creepy so why do you run away? I'm just weird. Am I giving off some creepy vibes? I checked the mirror and I don't have an evil pulsating green boil that on my forehead.

ENFPs, how do your perceive INTPs? I'm outgoing and clownish for an INTP.

I've never had this problem. For some reason, I attract more ENFP women than any other type.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You ENFPs really seem to take comments rather personally.

Lol, yes, true. Fi guarantees it.

Okay, see, that's true. Some do come off as airheaded. I'm sure sometimes I come off as airheaded. Because, honestly, as an ExFP sp-last, I totally fail at the basics of "living" sometimes, I totally fail at balancing my feelings with logic sometimes, and I totally fail at social grace sometimes. Personally, the only things that are my saving grace are my endless theoretical curiosity, which results in me having quite a lot of conceptual knowledge, my e6, which results in me being generally careful and consequence-oriented, and my sx dominance, which causes me to dig deeper quite a bit.

I think an important thing with ENFPs, though, is that we can be super airheaded from the outside, but if you hit on the right thing, we're golden. My good ENFP 9w1 so/sp friend is kind of airheady and gossipy sometimes, but she's really into military history, for whatever reason, and can give you this insanely astute detailed analysis of the historical factors leading into the two World Wars, all the political forces and cultural influences and so on. Also, it's just a sad fact that we don't have as nuanced and eloquent communication as we do clear fluidity of conceptual thought, so we can be a bit bumbly about our words. A lot of us typically need more than one try and the help of a "sounding board" - be that another person or a specific medium - to get our really good ideas out. (As you can probably tell from my post count, writing is a really helpful process for myself).

But if you believe in weird things (astrology, homeopathy etc.), I won't automatically condemn you for it, but I expect you will be providing me proof to support this claim.

ENFPs like systems. We like complex, symmetric, closed-loop systems. We like their inherent aesthetic, we like their balance, we like the idea of a beautiful and serendipitous universe. And not just that - we like overlapping and interconnecting systems. We like seeing how an INTP e6 differs from an INTP e5. We like everything fitting together and making sense and coming out a big beautiful kaleidoscope of possibility. We like that astrological signs line up with zodiac constellations line up with seasons line up with temperatures line up with light line ups with birth and death and the grand cycle of life. It's hard to explain, but it's all about enjoying all the systems that interlock and make up everything we know. We revel in patterns.

So, speaking as an ENFP who doesn't really believe in astrology (or homeopathy, but I don't know as much about it), I still have a good working knowledge of all the signs, their dates, their characteristics, and the sun/moon/ascendent/houses/etc. The system is fascinating for its patterns in and of itself. As for those who do believe, well, I can't say that they're necessarily wrong. I might not personally really agree, but who am I to possess enough knowledge to determine with absolute confidence that they are wrong? As long as the believers aren't causing harm to anyone, live and let live.

I think there's some truth to it. I mean, you can't call anyone an airhead and expect the person to fall in love with you, but an ideal type should induce us to bring our best self (according to their standards) without much effort.

Yes, true.

At the same time, there are so many variables that can play into it. My parents - happily married over 30 years - are ESFJ-INTP, and I think one of the most powerful bonds in their relationship is sp-sp, in addition to the Fe/Ti-Si/Ne and Ti/Fe-Ne/Si matchup.

Personally I tend to get along with Fe dom/aux well for reasons I can't fully explain. I know there are other ENFPs who mesh better with other types. JockTheMotie (INTP 5w6 sx/sp) and mmhmm (ENFP 8w7 sx/sp) are a notable INTP-ENFP couple.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
freeekkyyy, what does 'trying too hard' mean to you? I guess I've never understood this phrase. Like, I can't even imagine being attracted to someone that wasn't 'trying too hard'. Is this advice meant to prevent Typhus from say...making a fool of himself in front of an individual or group? That it would be better for him to stay just as he is in order to save him from a little embarrassment?

I mean it looks forced. Like it's got more to do with trying to win a contest than to love or be loved. I don't know how true it is, it's probably an Fe/Fi issue, but that's how it looks to me. Of course, I'm not even an ENFP to begin with, nor am I a female, but all I can do is call it as I see it.

Starry

Isn't that lovely?

How so? <--Actually, don't answer that. The focus should remain on ENFPs and their pantaloni...
It's just funny because I know you have no idea how anxious your tiny, perhaps frivolous question makes me. I fear part of the answer will reveal why the phrase "loving you is easy" was assigned to the INTPs.

I suppose their lows are rarer but stronger, on average.

So, what non-NF types do you feel drawn to Rasofy? :)

Agreed. I primarily blame dynamics though.

Totally.

264424_605761512775873_868252190_n.jpg

I've never had this problem. For some reason, I attract more ENFP women than any other type.

It's your avatar. Nothing says 'quality' faster than a man confident enough to wield an avatar like that.

I mean it looks forced. Like it's got more to do with trying to win a contest than to love or be loved. I don't know how true it is, it's probably an Fe/Fi issue, but that's how it looks to me. Of course, I'm not even an ENFP to begin with, nor am I a female, but all I can do is call it as I see it.

I think I do understand what you are saying now. I guess I generally imagine people, where the objective is to 'win' as opposed to 'push themselves to do better', have developed those skills long ago and so it would not appear forced to an outsider necessarily. I'm quite sure none of that made sense. I just accept that when we push ourselves outside of our comfort zone it is likely to look a little forced in the beginning and I make myself see all the beauty those moments possess.

I was at Starbucks once. And immediately after I had set up my computer, etc... at a table next to me (so close - I could easily set my own coffee on their table) sits a couple that were clearly on a blind date. And it was so awful. So uncomfortable for me as I tend to want to suck all the awkwardness out of those type of situations so the people can 'find each other'. Which may, again, not make a lot of sense to you but I ask you to trust me when I say...this was 'forced' x 1000. And perhaps it is the case that some people may mock this kind of situation. Some may provide advice on how to avoid such experiences... which may be to 'not try too hard' or worse to 'not try at all.' <--this was not what you were referring to I gather and I appreciate you letting me know. I'm certainly willing to stand a bit of awkwardness to be in the presence of such courage.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How so? <--Actually, don't answer that. The focus should remain on ENFPs and their pantaloni...
It's just funny because I know you have no idea how anxious your tiny, perhaps frivolous question makes me. I fear part of the answer will reveal why the phrase "loving you is easy" was assigned to the INTPs.
Probably. See, instead of looking for possible hidden meanings (probably the source of your anxiety) in my words using a cognitive function that I'm barely aware of, an ENFJ would usually just pick the idea that makes more sense and go with the flow.

You might be giving me too much credit. INTP communication is usually simple, as we don't like leaving room from dubious interpretations. A seemingly carefree remark is more often than not indeed a carefree remark.

That strategy works with INTJs pretty well though. They seem to enjoy leaving their points agglutinate - and those are usually Fi-aware -, so they'll appreciate you for finding hidden meanings that make sense to them.

So, what non-NF types do you feel drawn to Rasofy? :)
I like the INTXs, but it's challenging to go beyond the intellectual connection with them.

Don't get it.

Starry

Probably. See, instead of looking for possible hidden meanings (probably the source of your anxiety) in my words using a cognitive function that I'm barely aware of, an ENFJ would usually just pick the idea that makes more sense and go with the flow.

I don't create drafts of posts... (I even edit after the fact - so bad). Basically, I just write what comes into my mind... and I think it was unfair of me to have made reference to that part/quote while simultaneously shutting down that aspect of the conversation. I should have gone back and taken it out entirely. I'm quite convinced an ENFJ would have thought to do this haha. I just became concerned it was a derail of Typhus' thread... but does it matter? Typhus is totally going for the wrong type anyway :) I want to hear what you have to say.

I sat here for a really long time trying to figure out if I agreed or disagreed with the bolded. It's a really difficult call for me to make because ENFJs so phenomenal at completely controlling every aspect of any environment without you even knowing they are doing it...to be able to have that luxury.

Isn't that lovely?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION]

It's your avatar. Nothing says 'quality' faster than a man confident enough to wield an avatar like that.

It is a great avatar isn't it?