• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] INFP vs INFJ

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This thread is exhausting.

And now I'm conflicted again on whether I am an INFJ or INFP. Argh. :dry:

hazelsees

MBTI Type
INFJ
Fi dom concerns itself with considering all values as well. (This is something we are wired to discern and cannot ignore.) The difference lies in what happens next. An INFP leader will try to accomplish what we set out to do whilst supporting the existence of all those unique value systems. It's tricky stuff. We would use the outcome as motivator, not the vision itself. Although now an ENFP comes to my mind who's very vision-oriented, gets people on board with his 'religion'.

*water is getting muddy, need to think more on how to clarify this*
Anyway, not sure if what I wrote just made sense, but will try to expand more later.

I would love that PeaceBaby.

It is a muddy thing. If people could settle down and stop getting defensive about Fi and Fe, I think it could be much simpler and easier than what it is now. I have a difficult time putting thoughts into words, but to me, it seems like Fi and Fe are much more alike that what people believe. To me, it seems that they want the same thing.
In healthy people...INFJ and INFP both want to validate people and respect values... and trying to support all the "unique value systems" is tricky. You are so right. Maybe...hmmm...Fe at some point will demand a compromise, which could be very off-putting to some who use Fi. And demanding a compromise, of course, would depend on which person or type is using Fe. Using myself as an example of INFJ, if a compromise cannot be reached, I would step down, step out--run far away and hide. I hate conflict. Perhaps people who use Fe as their dominant function would not. I don't know...I'm typing out loud. Or maybe it depends on the health of the individual using Fe.

I would (almost) never see Fi as selfish or self-centered. Core values are what they are and it's admirable when people know what they believe and know who they are. Fi in an unhealthy person, even then, I would proceed with great caution if attempting to nudge at their Fi. And in children, who are still forming values, I tend to state other points of view and talk about them in a neutral type of way...as neither bad nor good or preferable...and let them think on those things. I am raising an ENFP (I think) boy.

Change of subject.
I've noticed posts of INFJs who have INFP children. Are there any INFPs (or ENFPs) around here who have INFJ children?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Concerning the top bolded, I feel like Fi values work similarly - motivators, not specific visions. The value is a "an image which has no existence in reality", & things which don't fit with it are ignored, and things which do are embraced. So it's a gauge for when to act or not, what to pursue & support or not, rather than something to conform things to fit. Because Ne likes to consider multiple realities, there's never "one way to skin a cat", or one way to reach some end which fits a very abstract concept of value.

INFJs seem to have much more specific visions, and so their concept of "harmony" is backed by a very subjective view of what that looks like. They may indeed use externally defined value-concepts, but as the means to a Ni end. This is why Van Der Hoop calls INJs tyrants within their own circles (unfair as well, but makes a point). They seem to want to use these external systems to keep reality inline with their very individual vision. This is perfectly fine when that vision is operating off of a deep insight into how things will pan out & what needs to be done to reach a better end (better being defined with "Fe", and any unselfishness or self-sacrifice is very necessary to balance Pi).
I think what you say here makes a lot of sense. Noticing just how many INFJs and INFPs experience confusion about type, I've been noticing a number of conflicting descriptions for both the Ni-Fe dynamics and the Fi-Ne. The concept of singularity of vision or values has been used to describe both and seeing values and ideas from multiple perspectives has been used to describe both.

Is it possible that there is a continuum between multiple perspectives/flexibility and singularity of vision or values that can apply to both, but are nuanced a little differently? Both Ni and Fi in particular seem to have conflicting descriptions which causes a lot of confusion. For example, Ni is definitely described as singularity of vision and core concepts, etc. in many descriptions, but in others it is this extremely abstract, inexplicable, experiential, almost transcendental concept that is based on broad, flexible, and multiple perspectives.

Based on observations there are INFJs with a unique, singular vision that impose their ideas and expectations into the concrete world. There are also INFJs that are broad, flexible, and almost transcendental in their relationship to reality. Also there are INFPs that have certain values that are expressed as quite fixed, and others that have that lightness and adaptability. It makes me wonder if there is a lot of misunderstanding and mistyping, or if there are significant subcategories of both INFJ and INFP that are not addressed in these theories?

This strikes me in particular from what I think is an INFJ perspective (although I have also questioned my type as INFP). I've mentioned a few times about noticing some INFJs constructing continuums of ideas with mutually exclusive poles. This can also be expressed in dichotomies that are part of the description of INFJ. There are extremes of privacy and openness, of self control and indulgence, of distant perspective and intense, experiential empathy, etc. "If" this understanding of the type is correct, then could the INFJ also have the capacity for extremes of singularity of vision and multiplicity? Also of rigidity and adaptability?

But then some of these contrasts can also exist in the INFP, I think? I am really curious what others think - if there are opposites of behaviors within each of the INFJ and INFP type which results in this preponderance of confusion for individuals reading descriptions and trying to identify with one category.

Phew! More exhausting analysis. :offtobed:

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. I love being able to try out my ideals for the greater good on a captive audience. I've got over a billion people to play with now. I really wish I could figure out how to keep them from getting lost in the wilderness. :shrug:

There's always got to be something that they die from...

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
There's always got to be something that they die from...
All of my people should die of old age, in their beds, surrounded by their loving families! All other deaths are my personal failures. :charge:

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All of my people should die of old age, in their beds, surrounded by their loving families! All other deaths are my personal failures. :charge:

A truly benevolent dictator...

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
A truly benevolent dictator...
I'm a firstborn and I've been a parent for almost half my life, so it's second nature by now. I'm working on learning to back off and shut up so I can be a good parent of adult children. No such luck for my imaginary citizens.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
My first instinct was to say someone that's at a high level of health for their Enneagram type, or someone who relates with many of the MBTI types, as an Enneagram nine would. Perhaps someone with no personality, even?

I do know that identification with a single type is an ego-intensive process. I think many people identify strongly with their types to the point they can no longer view the system holistically, only as pieces of themselves and others. That's what a lot of typology seems to be about, portrayal or reception of an image. I prefer to think about the various systems in a more organic, all-encompassing manner - I seek to use them as tools for growth, rarely as tools for identification. I think this is why I like Enneagram so much, there are implications inherent to the system that entail patterns of growth, unlike the stagnant theories that circulate with Jung's work. It's probably why most of my depictions of types will be negative or focus on an unsavory aspect, because I think the good qualities people embody are well beyond basic functional pairings like Ni+Fe or what have you.

A quick little aside, I wrote high end fashion/giving up on makeup as hyperbole against each other. I didn't really think of high end fashion as entailing expensive goods, I thought of it more as a timeless approach to the subject, while INFP's are more experimental and nuanced in their preferences.

I think, of the four women I've been romantically entangled with, they've been ESTJ, INTP, ISFJ and INFP. The ESTJ was the absolute least feminine of all, stopped wearing make-up and started wearing comfortable, baggy clothes early in her teenage years, when most boys and girls were incredibly kept about their appearance.

Based on this, and if I am an ISTJ, I don't see Victoria Beckham being ISTJ. I would consider neither you nor I as authoritative figures on typology, and given that I've seen three websites classify her under three different types I wouldn't really say the consensus on her has been established.

Here's a random, interesting tidbit I found about her: "...where she was embarrassed by her family's wealth and often begged her father not to drop her off outside the school in their Rolls Royce." I don't know what that's indicative of, but meh, at least there was partial agreement I was onto something when I wrote that. I don't think it's completely invalidated.

I understand type theory better than you do. Victoria Beckham is an ISTJ. She has Fi. She may have been embarrassed by her father's wealth by her tiny adolescent tertiary Fi, but Si has enslaved her to the sensory image of it. You have no idea what an INFJ even is. I can't believe you even described an INFJ that way. That's the least you need to know.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
well the whole ESFJ or ENFJ as putting -down -typing -thing could also be a thing of some bad stereotypes and prejudices, when you just go to the 'Popular Culture and Type' section, just read what some people have for ideas and images regarding Ni,Ne,Si,Se,Fi,Fe etc. - types

i just learned from this stuff to be rather sceptical when i kind of read, so i know this ESFP/INFP/INFJ/INTP ... guy and he does this and this, because just looking at the way how some people type... well ugh

Yeah all ESFPs are stupid whores and all ISFPs are mindless push-overs. I KNOW. Some people still cant accept me as an SFP because I'm not braindead.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Right since this has descended into pointless discussion with no resolution, as usual, I shall take charge by arrogantly decreeing that from now on Fi and Fe are to get along.

If there are any complaints I shall start stamping on testies, if you don't have any then I shall surgically attach them then start stamping.

I HAVE SPOKEN!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Right since this has descended into pointless discussion with no resolution, as usual, I shall take charge by arrogantly decreeing that from now on Fi and Fe are to get along.

If there are any complaints I shall start stamping on testies, if you don't have any then I shall surgically attach them then start stamping.

I HAVE SPOKEN!

*testes

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

I HAVE SPOKEN! Spelling is of no consequence, especially to an android tablet that I did not notice has its own spelling definitions.

Now, get along with each other! Also that's very Si of you.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I HAVE SPOKEN! Spelling is of no consequence, especially to an android tablet that I did not notice has its own spelling definitions.

Now, get along with each other! Also that's very Si of you.

I just like to show off that I know how to spell testes.

W

WALMART

I understand type theory better than you do. Victoria Beckham is an ISTJ. She has Fi. She may have been embarrassed by her father's wealth by her tiny adolescent tertiary Fi, but Si has enslaved her to the sensory image of it. You have no idea what an INFJ even is. I can't believe you even described an INFJ that way. That's the least you need to know.

Right, but this does not cover the fact that three sources exist apart from you that claim three different types, none of them ISTJ. I don't see what gives you credence over any other outlet of opinion.

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/showthread.php/18111-david-and-victoria-beckham

Here, people seem to be in agreement she is ENFj EIE, for the most part. Some dabble with ESTP, but they're about the same functions. I don't see why INFJ is so great of a leap away for you to perceive, or at the very least entertain.

Edit: I wrote that first part before finding the thread I linked. There does appear to be a little thought for her being ISTJ, but I greatly doubt this is her type. NFJ sounds more accurate, though I honestly know nothing about her other than her having a lot of money and really enjoying fame.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Right, but this does not cover the fact that three sources exist apart from you that claim three different types, none of them ISTJ. I don't see what gives you credence over any other outlet of opinion.

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/showthread.php/18111-david-and-victoria-beckham

Here, people seem to be in agreement she is ENFj EIE, for the most part. Some dabble with ESTP, but they're about the same functions. I don't see why INFJ is so great of a leap away for you to perceive, or at the very least entertain.

If there are people here who think Victoria Beckham is an ENFj, I also understand why they think I am. LOL.

Just type in Victoria Beckham ISTJ if you're so sure no one agrees with me. I even know a self-typed ISTJ who asserted early in my acquaintance with him that she had to be the same type as him.

You don't know what an INFJ is. What you described has nothing to do with Ni/Fe/Ti/Se....nor with my experience of INFJs, nor what I've observed of their self-report of themselves.

ENFj also has a lot more Se than INFJ. In INFJ Se is REJECTED. This means the likelihood of an INFj being that materialistic, physically focused, power-hungry-related-to-wealth-and-status-rather-than-social-vision, and outwardly sexualized is slim to none, unless they were playing dress up for Halloween or alone in their bedroom with their S.O.

I swear to god so many people here don't understand function theory at all. But even your stereotype is so wrong David Keirsey would even laugh at it, okay, bro?

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Sounds like a discussion is still going on here! The topic is ended. Boom, shabam, FLIBBLE!

W

WALMART

If there are people here who think Victoria Beckham is an ENFj, I also understand why they think I am. LOL.

Just type in Victoria Beckham ISTJ if you're so sure no one agrees with me. I even know a self-typed ISTJ who asserted early in my acquaintance with him that she had to be the same type as him.

You don't know what an INFJ is. What you described has nothing to do with Ni/Fe/Ti/Se....nor with my experience of INFJs, nor what I've observed of their self-report of themselves.

ENFj also has a lot more Se than INFJ. In INFJ Se is REJECTED. This means the likelihood of an INFj being that materialistic, physically focused, power-hungry-related-to-wealth-and-status-rather-than-social-vision, and outwardly sexualized is slim to none, unless they were playing dress up for Halloween or alone in their bedroom with their S.O.

I swear to god so many people here don't understand function theory at all. But even your stereotype is so wrong David Keirsey would even laugh at it, okay, bro?

The first thread I found immediately had Beckham's type being calling in question (out of the five Spice Girls). I don't think it's so cut and dry...

But I understand, your knowledge is greater than my knowledge. Victoria Beckham is ISTJ and INFJ's have absolutely no appreciation for finer tastes or seeing their vision come to life.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The first thread I found immediately had Beckham's type being calling in question (out of the five Spice Girls). I don't think it's so cut and dry...

But I understand, your knowledge is greater than my knowledge. Victoria Beckham is ISTJ and INFJ's have absolutely no appreciation for finer tastes or seeing their vision come to life.

Victoria is a perfectionist in a sensory way; in an Si way, not an Ni way. I actually could buy her having Se before Ni, but not Ni dominant, that's just so fucking ridiculous. This woman is obsessed with her looks and her body and her social position. Even back in the days with the Spice Girls, she was Posh Spice, because she was held in such pretention for her tastes about things.

That's more of an Si thing. I promise you. Educated, wealthy, and/or intelligent SJs are the most picky, pretentious people on earth, and they know their taste is better than yours, so much better than yours. Furthermore, it's the best, and normal.

Of course courser SJs, people of less education or lower income, don't give this presentation, because what they've always known as being sensually beautiful is something like their mother's fried chicken, or that everyone wears Abercrombie, but I think you get my drift.

If Victoria Beckham had a "vision" apparently it was to ...marry David Beckham? What the hell are you talking about? WHAT VISION? You mean her fashion creations, right? Not exactly a huge vision for a former model and person coming from wealth. Easy peasy, and easily created from life experience and resources.

She isn't an extrovert and she doesn't have any Fe expression. If she's an SP, she's an SFP not an ESTP, and if she's an NF, then apparently she's an INFP. I couldn't even buy her as an ENFP.

She has strong Sensing of some kind, seems Thinking, and has the limited emotional facial expression of an Fi type.

I find her very Sensing and Fi. But too polished and consistently/publicly perfectionistic to be an SFP.

Bullied and people threw rocks at her? I would say introvert. Definitely NOT ENFj. My BFF from high school is an ENFJ, and she's extremely smooth and charming.