• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] INFP vs INFJ

R

RDF

but what if dfw is actually an infp 9w1 sx/sp, like i have him typed? do not all types think their assumptions, their privileged forms of self-organization (the structure of their learning that they identify as themselves), are self-evident? especially when those provide the backdrop upon which any kind of conscious experience can arise at all?

You make some interesting arguments in your last two posts. You appear to have a much greater familiarity with DFW’s life and work than I do. And in arguing that he’s an INFP, you talk about a lot of “markers” that aren’t traditionally MBTI “markers”: his metaphysical/philosophical stance, eye movements, the symbology he uses, etc. But as a result, I can’t really judge the validity of your arguments one way or the other.

For my part, the only thing I know of DFW is this one essay, and it struck me as an INFJ sort of presentation. But it’s only one tiny piece of his life. It’s possible that DFW could be an INFP and that, for the purposes of this speech, he has turned his Ne up to full blast and is speaking in “polemical mode,” IOW he is trying to make a persuasive argument (“fight for an idea”) as opposed to neutrally describing an Fi “model” or schema of an idea.

I don’t really have anything new to add, above and beyond what I’ve already said on why I think the presentation is INFJ-ish. I’ll keep an open mind about the arguments you made and consider them further; I’ll post again if I have any further comment.

Kayness

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why is something against the rules if it's not bad? It's because rules (which are supposed to be objective) and ethics (which are subjective) exist independently of each other, even if they should not.

I still struggle with this. I can understand it on an 'outside' level, but I cannot personalize it, and if I cannot personalize something then I don't 'understand' it.