• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ the most disorganized judging type

S

Society

We're the most organised type of all! In our heads anyway... :D

...pretty much spot on. an INFJ once told me "when my environment's in chaos, my mind is in chaos".

In my defense, I was speaking to the stereotype that says Js must be organized in every aspect of their life, including their desks. :D

i think the stereotype is true-ish to the extent that it makes for a better environment for them - one that they prosper and relax more easily in. i've noticed that especially with my very J-ish son, but it seems to work over the board. but again, just because you have a need doesn't make you good at providing for that need.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like knowing what I'm getting into and having a set schedule to follow. But when it comes to tidying up, even though my spaces are relatively neat, there's a pretty good degree of entropy going on. Lots of stuff on my desk, for instance. Cluttered, and kind of an organized chaos to my system. The kinds of things that would drive SJ's crazy. lol

_eric_

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am extremely organized in every area of my life. I don't pursue absolute perfection, but anything that falls outside of the [small] allowance range annoys me until it's fixed.

For instance, I organize the clothes in my closet by color, type, and how I use them. band shirts---shirts and jeans for my full-time job---shirts and jeans to wear at home---shirts and jeans for my part-time job---dress shirts and pants---sweaters. All other clothes are folded neatly in drawers.

I always keep spices arranged in alphabetical order left to right.

When I used to listen to cds, I had them organized perfectly alphabetically and in order of release for each band, which was no small feat because I had/have thousands of cds. Back when I had Pokemon trading cards I did the exact same thing, both in binders to display one card from each set, and in the boxes for bulk cards.

Any food I have is organized like a store. And, whenever I go shopping, I organize stuff on my cart and the conveyor belt to make it easier for the bagger to take care of.

Books are organized by genre and how frequently I read them, with any series kept in order.

I have no problems sticking to a schedule whenever it's necessary. Usually though, I just don't have that much going on, so I rarely need to make any schedules.

When I was in school all my notes were very organized both in how I wrote them (including formatting) and positionally in storage in relation to other notes from different classes, as well as any homework.

Whenever I move to live somewhere else, it takes 2 hours to pack everything away--sometimes even less than that--and about 2.5-3 hours to get everything set back up the way I want it.

I could go on and on...

I know this seems like it might be difficult to maintain, but it's quite easy and quick for me. ;) I suppose somebody has to be the contrarian here haha.

A

A_priori

I am extremely organized in every area of my life. I don't pursue absolute perfection, but anything that falls outside of the [small] allowance range annoys me until it's fixed.

For instance, I organize the clothes in my closet by color, type, and how I use them. band shirts---shirts and jeans for my full-time job---shirts and jeans to wear at home---shirts and jeans for my part-time job---dress shirts and pants---sweaters. All other clothes are folded neatly in drawers.

I always keep spices arranged in alphabetical order left to right.

When I used to listen to cds, I had them organized perfectly alphabetically and in order of release for each band, which was no small feat because I had/have thousands of cds. Back when I had Pokemon trading cards I did the exact same thing, both in binders to display one card from each set, and in the boxes for bulk cards.

Any food I have is organized like a store. And, whenever I go shopping, I organize stuff on my cart and the conveyor belt to make it easier for the bagger to take care of.

Books are organized by genre and how frequently I read them, with any series kept in order.

I have no problems sticking to a schedule whenever it's necessary. Usually though, I just don't have that much going on, so I rarely need to make any schedules.

When I was in school all my notes were very organized both in how I wrote them (including formatting) and positionally in storage in relation to other notes from different classes, as well as any homework.

Whenever I move to live somewhere else, it takes 2 hours to pack everything away--sometimes even less than that--and about 2.5-3 hours to get everything set back up the way I want it.

I could go on and on...

I know this seems like it might be difficult to maintain, but it's quite easy and quick for me. ;) I suppose somebody has to be the contrarian here haha.

I can definitely respect this as a quality but can also see how these kind of charictoristics can become unhealthy. Specifically for those who struggle with anxiety and OCD like traits. In other words I have seen judging to the degree where it becomes a compulsive burden. I think it's really about having a good balance, this being said I have also seen people who naturally poses judging charictoristics to this extreme without any adverse consequences.

_eric_

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can definitely respect this as a quality but can also see how these kind of charictoristics can become unhealthy. Specifically for those who struggle with anxiety and OCD like traits. In other words I have seen judging to the degree where it becomes a compulsive burden. I think it's really about having a good balance, this being said I have also seen people who naturally poses judging charictoristics to this extreme without any adverse consequences.
I agree. I don't freak out or become non-functional when things aren't to my liking, so it's all good. :)

A

A_priori

I agree. I don't freak out or become non-functional when things aren't to my liking, so it's all good. :)

Ya it sounds like this is just natural for you. I can definitely identify with some of the stuff you were saying. I am also J to the point where I have all of my cloths hanging in my closet, all color coordinated and in specific order. One thing I noticed is that I start going a little nuts when I am in an invioronent where things are scattered. I personally feel a lot more at ease when things are organized and in there place.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
OK but are you actually disorganised or do you just have a low threshold for what constitutes disorder? Are you like those J-types that when you go around to their place they apologise for their house being "such a mess!", then you look around and it's frickin' immaculate?

I don't doubt there are messy Js (I know several that are), I just think that sometimes Judgers and Perceivers have very different concepts of the word "messy" or "disorganised". ;)

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I've always thought that J/P didn't necessarily correlate to tangible clutters such as having a messy house.

Js all like to have order, yes. But it seems to me that the kinds of things Js like to keep in order varies by type.

For example, it seems like INFJs like to keep their Ni ruminations in order. If you want to upset an INFJ, all you have to do is challenge one of their Ni ideals. And, it's by my observation that ENFJs like to order the people in their lives. They see a definite social hierarchy and assign everyone a place in it.

I've known INFJs with messy houses and one's with neat houses. I don't think messiness or neatness has much to do with an INFJs J preference.

Paisley

Strolling Through The Shire
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
INFJ tidiness has everything to do with our "Believie System" or our own personal ideals. If I don't have a harmonious social atmosphere and physical space in my house, I'll be distracted until those things have been sorted to the appropriate level and degree within my own personal believie system. The priority on the believie system goes for all routines, schedules, structures, and organizational methods, in their varying kinds, and so, having a healthy and balanced believie system is paramount, and can be dangerous if it's not.

For example, if it's study time, the whole house is cleaned to the right duration of procrastination that allows for appropriate pressure cooker retention of soon to be studied material. Habit, routine, order. Can not study in a mess, but I can live with a bit of disorder, say, a few things are on the floor, the dishes aren't done, and my bed is unmade......but that's usually done.

I like sticking to routines that work best and any sign that I'm not following my routine, whether seemingly dysfunctional or not, is cause for alarm. For example, I don't often take a different route to work just for the fun of it and mess with my tried and true route and schedule, UNLESS, I don't care if I get fired or reprimanded today, in which case, getting to work on time has fallen on the believie system because that job sucks anyway, and I'd like for them to get pissed off and fire me, which will force my indecisive INFJ brain to apply for all those better jobs so I can tell the people at the new job, how stupid that last job was, so I tour the downtown instead, and show up late.

I've lived with many roommates for over a decade and I can honestly say, I'm the cleanest guy out of all of them, and they will all vouch for me in that.

Every P type I've lived with is a victim of disorganization and untidiness! "Why is my toe bleeding?" "Because I told you to sweep those shards of glass off the floor and you didn't. Moron!"

A

A_priori

I find myself much more disorganized when it comes to keeping a schedule. I know that there are a fair share of Js out there who feel a sense of control when they plan everything in advance but for me, it sort of makes me feel the opposite. I like to leave things much more open ended. As an example I could never work your quintessential 9-5 as I would seriously feel trapped. I dislike being part of companies or organizations which essentially mold you to their schedule and set a certain expectation for how you should have things done etc.. I feel way more at ease and in control running my own buisness and not being obligated should I want to take a day off or change something. Anyways, I think this is what I am really trying to express when it comes to be unorganized. I also dislike commitment in terms of having to be certain places at certain times. I don't maybe it's just me or maybe it's common amongst other INFJs..

Paisley

Strolling Through The Shire
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I find myself much more disorganized when it comes to keeping a schedule. I know that there are a fair share of Js out there who feel a sense of control when they plan everything in advance but for me, it sort of makes me feel the opposite. I like to leave things much more open ended. As an example I could never work your quintessential 9-5 as I would seriously feel trapped. I dislike being part of companies or organizations which essentially mold you to their schedule and set a certain expectation for how you should have things done etc.. I feel way more at ease and in control running my own buisness and not being obligated should I want to take a day off or change something. Anyways, I think this is what I am really trying to express when it comes to be unorganized. I also dislike commitment in terms of having to be certain places at certain times. I don't maybe it's just me or maybe it's common amongst other INFJs..

I resonate with a lot of this; you're not alone. I need a lot of flexibility at work if it's stressful or else I get irritable real fast, and my hours are always an area of contention with me and management. Do you just alter your schedule after making it, as though you've done half the work in making the plan itself? Perhaps INFJ's relationship with schedules is related to the fact that we crave efficiency and the highest order production, but we loath details because they aren't creative and new, so we don't stick to the schedule. I don't know....

Emerald Rain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't think I'm disorganized in a sense that I know where everything is.
But if I look at my surroundings objectively, I'm pretty messy. Sometimes I don't even make my bed upon waking up...

But I'm pretty meticulous about schedules, deadlines, etc..those are immune to messiness.

RoadPaveMent

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My INFJ mother came into my dorm room and was horrified at the 'mess'. Then she walked into my ESFP friend's dorm room and almost fainted. :D

As far as planning out my time, I take things a day at a time. Every day is different. If someone calls me up at last minute to do something which would mess up what I have planned for that day, I'll reject the invitation, no matter how cool the event was.

anti-villain

MBTI Type
INFJ
I can feel really disorganized sometimes especially when it comes to keeping a specific schedule but not so much in other areas. I tend to look at commitments as burdens for the most part as they can tend to make me feel as if I haven't had the chance to fully weigh out my options. I know this night sound a bit funny to others but I was just wondering how others on here see INFJs or if other INfJs tend to feel simular.

However, when it comes to doing a job miticuliously and seeing things through to the very end I am very much a judger. I am also very pariticular on staying organized in a sense that everything in my living space is typically spotless. I like to make the best of my space and am continuously purging to be rid of stuff laying around causing clutter. I am very much the opposite of a horder. Anyways, I just wanted to dig a bit deeper into the whole judging function as I feel like it fits me a bit different than other types.

I can completely relate to this. I am a minimalist. I hate clutter, and nick nacks, and love practicality. Anything I don't use often, I sell. I like the idea of having a few treasured possessions, and nothing more. It's a constant struggle though, because I know that isn't practical. Ugh. My minimalist tendencies apply to my social life as well. When it comes to my phone, or Facebook (which I hate), if I don't talk to someone regularly, I delete them. Some people think it's cold. But those are often the people who have collected 900 "friends" on Facebook who they never talked to after adding.

I am a bit of a perfectionist as well. In situations where I am forced to do a crappy or incomplete job of something, I will resist, and try very hard to put it off, or avoid doing it entirely if the situation permits. My living space is very clean and organized, but I don't go crazy sorting things. People at work poke fun at me, because before I start my shift, I always need time to reorganize my workspace after someone messy has been there. It drives me nuts.

I feel the same about schedules and plans. I usually like to play things by ear, since I never really know what will come up in the mean time that I might want to get done. I am often running a bit behind when leaving for work, but am rarely late. I know the theory behind time management, but the execution can be difficult sometimes.

Last edited:

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I would say this statement rings true for me. Disorganization is a big part of who I am. I have tried to get more organized as I have gotten older. But mess doesn't really bother me. Even when I try to keep my belongings orderly, the laws of entropy seem to send them into disarray.

And looking at my drawings/art, it's always orderly chaos. The same with my workspace. INFJ leads with ni, a P function so INFJs are less judgy than other J types in the first place. I would say INTJs have the potential to be less organized than other J types. INTJs do have te though, while focusing on hard external logic, I see as having more organizational potential than aux. fe. When completing tasks, I am very hardworking but when it comes to my belongings, I am a mess.