• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Questions for INFP's

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
How does Fi feel? I can at times feel pure bliss when I am connected with my shadow Fi values...and feel very much in pain when feeling depressed, which I guess again triggers my shadow Fi...

So what do Fi-dom feel throughout the day? Is there a predominant tone\vibe to it?
I'm not sure I can give an answer to this that is separate to my 4w5ness, but...

There's not a single feeling, and mostly it's pretty blah. I need more intense, interesting, or complex things to prick my ears up. I need something to challenge it to work harder to lift the experience above the banal. The outside world is usually pretty disappointing in this regard, which is why I often end up trying to generate those thoughts (and the consequent feelings) myself internally.

It does have the sense of an alternative commentary on events that's often in contrast to the external version, and this is the world that generates feelings. So as an example: someone might tell a not so great joke and internal commentary might say, "That's not funny. That's the 3rd unfunny joke he's made all night. He hasn't got a clue about basic humour", and I then react with amusement at the thought. Outwardly, it would seem like I'm amused at the joke, but really I'm amused at the filtered rendering of the joke; the interpretation of the joke. It's the reaction to the reaction. So the alternative commentary can offer up all sorts of feelings, albeit indirectly.

I'm not sure if that answers the question, or even if other IxFPs would agree with this. :shrug:

EDIT: maybe I would say the most common feeling tone is "yearning". :unsure:

yeghor

I'm not sure I can give an answer to this that is separate to my 4w5ness, but...

There's not a single feeling, and mostly it's pretty blah. I need more intense, interesting, or complex things to prick my ears up. I need something to challenge it to work harder to lift the experience above the banal. The outside world is usually pretty disappointing in this regard, which is why I often end up trying to generate those thoughts (and the consequent feelings) myself internally.

It does have the sense of an alternative commentary on events that's often in contrast to the external version, and this is the world that generates feelings. So as an example: someone might tell a not so great joke and internal commentary might say, "That's not funny. That's the 3rd unfunny joke he's made all night. He hasn't got a clue about basic humour", and I then react with amusement at the thought. Outwardly, it would seem like I'm amused at the joke, but really I'm amused at the filtered rendering of the joke; the interpretation of the joke. It's the reaction to the reaction. So the alternative commentary can offer up all sorts of feelings, albeit indirectly.

I'm not sure if that answers the question, or even if other IxFPs would agree with this. :shrug:

The pure bliss I feel is akin to the high you get from a drug... So to Fi-doms, is it like tryiing to find new ways to generate\trigger that high feeling...? Or maintain it internally?

What things for instance trigger a high or low? Are there withdrawal symptoms, when you cannot generate it from within... Is Ne-aux trying to find ways to do that?

What happens if the high cannot be maintained? Or if the harmony of the internal world is disturbed? How to bring back the high feeling back?

The bad feelings coming from Fi-aux shadow make me wanna puke them out... Is this how IxFPs create artwork?

Last edited:

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Sorry I answered initially before your edit.

The pure bliss I feel is akin to the high you get from a drug... So to Fi-doms, is it like tryiing to find new ways to generate\trigger that high feeling...?Or maintain it internally?
Yeah, exactly. There isn't a qualitative difference between finding it internally or externally for me (for the most part).

What things for instance trigger a high or low?
I don't know if I can explain it well, but it's an (often sudden) awareness of a "truth" - something clicks with intense meaning. The feelings this evokes are the purest and most vivid form of emotion. Lots of things can trigger the highs: music, art, books, film/tv, nature, a conversation, introspective exploration etc. The lows usually come from introspection for me. Although, it can be hard to tell the differences between the high and the low in terms of inspiration, because the high can come from a depressing truth.

Are there withdrawal symptoms, when you cannot generate it from within... Is Ne-aux trying to find ways to do that?
It does make me feel low not having enough of it, but then I rarely have a satisfactory amount. It's can be like constant, low-level depression or like the chronic longing of loneliness. Life in it's natural state is rather bland for me - I have to push it further to get more out of it. And yes, Ne in combination is the often the solution to that need (although it plays a part in generating it internally too).

What happens if the high cannot be maintained? Or if the harmony of the internal world is disturbed? How to bring back the high feeling back?
For me it's never maintained. You have to keep scavenging for more. Either you dig deeper or you find something new.

The bad feelings coming from Fi-aux shadow make me wanna puke them out... Is this how IxFPs create artwork?
Again it's confusing to talk in these terms because the good and bad converge for me. But depression does't make me want to create - it has the opposite effect. It makes me go more inward.

yeghor

...It does make me feel low not having enough of it, but then I rarely have a satisfactory amount. It's can be like constant, low-level depression or like the chronic longing of loneliness. Life in it's natural state is rather bland for me - I have to push it further to get more out of it. And yes, Ne in combination is the often the solution to that need (although it plays a part in generating it internally too).

Some kind of constant melancholy...?

And I edited my earlier post...

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Some kind of constant melancholy...?
Sometimes. I go through phases where it is and phases where it's just bland discontent or boredom. It depends on my life circumstances and the status of my interpersonal relationships.

And I edited my earlier post...
Yes, I noticed and edited my post. :)

yeghor

Sometimes. I go through phases where it is and phases where it's just bland discontent or boredom. It depends on my life circumstances and the status of my interpersonal relationships.

Yes, I noticed and edited my post. :)

Thanks...:)

yeghor

...Again it's confusing to talk in these terms because the good and bad converge for me. But depression does't make me want to create - it has the opposite effect. It makes me go more inward.

The bad emotional feeling makes me wanna go sleep, hazy and radiates to my arms and entire body...some kind of lethargy....I want to crawl up and fall asleep at those times...

As a sidenote have there been any times you've acted like an ENFJ? When feeling bad\angry or among friends? Accused people of having low Fe-worth? Or tried to organize people\friends around yourself?

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INFPs do you like playing sports? Which?

Sure, as long as it's tennis, badminton or indoor hockey. :D Maybe volleyball as well (I can play a mean serve at times :alttongue: ).

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
My first question is, do many of you keep diaries and journals to work out your feelings? I've read it's an Fi thing to express feeling in writing, and figure things out that way. If so, do you ever keep them on the computer because it's easier to type than write? Or would that seem too impersonal?

I don't find much inspiration in the humdrum, day-to-day stuff, but if something unusual happens, I'll write it out as a story. I have a folder in my computer for all my little mini-adventures. :)

Edit: Post # 1111, make a wish!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
how does it feel to be fi? I dunno after you've felt something for so long, you forget about it, becomes naturally, it becomes a background thing.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My first question is, do many of you keep diaries and journals to work out your feelings? I've read it's an Fi thing to express feeling in writing, and figure things out that way. If so, do you ever keep them on the computer because it's easier to type than write? Or would that seem too impersonal?

I'm beginning to write a sort of Alice in wonderland gone completely wrong book about a juvenile who goes through a coma and has permanent nightmares. Writing is a great outlet for INFPs. There's lots of tweaking you do to get things feeling just right, and so is a natural domain for my deepest desires and feelings. I also write music and that goes through exactly the same process (how about a flat 9, no too dissonant, doesn't go well with me. How about add 9 and sus 4? much better, this is what I want: an unresolved sound). Then Ne will go off on tangents saying "what about this, or how about this, maybe we can half that and use the other half next paragraph".

I naturally prefer writing but don't mind having my stuff on the computer. It's the same deal with a kindle: it's more efficient but artificial. If it gets the job done faster then I will not refrain from using it.

I hope that answers your question.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The bad emotional feeling makes me wanna go sleep, hazy and radiates to my arms and entire body...some kind of lethargy....I want to crawl up and fall asleep at those times...
Yeah, I can be a bit like that too.

As a sidenote have there been any times you've acted like an ENFJ? When feeling bad\angry or among friends? Accused people of having low Fe-worth? Or tried to organize people\friends around yourself?
There are times where I behave in ways that are similar to FJ traits (like the ones you mentioned), yes, perhaps even NFJ-like I guess, but of course this isn't literal demonstration of these types. I don't see a clear pattern as to why I get into those modes.

I do have this thing where I try to channel a ENFJ personality when I go to job interviews for example - but that's more of a conscious thing. I can't say it comes off like that, but it helps to lift my outward manner a little - to be a bit more confident, friendly, relaxed, personable and mentally-present. Natural INFP behaviour can be a bit of a downer it seems. :D

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm beginning to write a sort of Alice in wonderland gone completely wrong book about a juvenile who goes through a coma and has permanent nightmares. Writing is a great outlet for INFPs. There's lots of tweaking you do to get things feeling just right, and so is a natural domain for my deepest desires and feelings. I also write music and that goes through exactly the same process (how about a flat 9, no too dissonant, doesn't go well with me. How about add 9 and sus 4? much better, this is what I want: an unresolved sound). Then Ne will go off on tangents saying "what about this, or how about this, maybe we can half that and use the other half next paragraph".

I naturally prefer writing but don't mind having my stuff on the computer. It's the same deal with a kindle: it's more efficient but artificial. If it gets the job done faster then I will not refrain from using it.

I hope that answers your question.
Sure, thanks. And that sounds like a cool book.

That's interesting how you write music, and connect the process to writing! I don't think I have much of a sense for that at all. Of course some Fe users write music and lyrics, but it seems to be more in the realm of Fi.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How does Fi feel? I can at times feel pure bliss when I am connected with my shadow Fi values...and feel very much in pain when feeling depressed, which I guess again triggers my shadow Fi...

So what do Fi-dom feel throughout the day? Is there a predominant tone\vibe to it?

It "feels" like thinking, through a lens trying to zoom in on what is truly significant & meaningful. Or it's like walking around with a very lopsided, internal scale, weighted down on one side with beauty & perfection & eternity, and waiting for something - anything - to move that scale.

Emotional feelings are just signals of sorts. In a typical day, I don't respond to mundane stuff strongly because it isn't important. I can get irritated with myself for running late or being messy, but I brush stuff off pretty easily because it doesn't strike me as important. I get called both temperamental & patient/easy-going by the same people.

I often have an air of indifference or slight melancholy. The latter is due to a general sense of disappointment in life. As [MENTION=5871]Southern Kross[/MENTION] notes, this is partially what leads to dreaminess & absent-mindedness - checking out of dull & frustrating reality to create something which feels meaningful & colorful in your head. Internally, I have a much higher flux of emotion in response to my "inner world" than I do externally to the "real world".

I can be in prolonged modes of excitement when things are "happening" - stuff is tipping the scales beyond small, daily pleasures. Potential is emerging...Ne sort of alerts the Fi that this is a significant experience unfolding or time period that can lead to something meaningful.

I can relate to SK's internal snarkiness too, which is some elitism directed towards many areas of life. I wouldn't say that defines me, or not since my teens anyway. More often the critical voice is directed at myself, which also leaves me somewhat inhibited. In any case, the visible emotion, if any, is not necessarily in direct relation to what appears to have triggered it, if related at all. This causes confusion with others, of course.

I don't like rules & dislike most games, including sports that are games. Competition strikes me as silly (I...just....can't....care...). I like indoor rock climbing, walks & hikes in beautiful nature, riding a bike, swimming, yoga....more relaxed & individual activities.

yeghor

Thanks SK... Actually I think we aren't that different at all... :)

No only sensors are allowed to do sports :rules:

No, it means that Se-doms are physiologically (inherently) advantaged (adept) when it comes to sports, physical activity, ability to manipulate the physical environment... That's how they are wired... The functions in our typing represent layers of the physical world that we are relatively more attuned to... It doesn't mean we cannot register or manipulate layers that we do not possess as a function...

So you are sort of chasing the dragon...? Trying to find new ways to stimulate your inner world and find that sweet spot that gives you that "high\good" feeling, thru which you know that you are acting in line with your internal values...?

So there's this internal reception and fine-tuning going on...kinda like trying to fine-tune to a radio station you love(d) deeply...?

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I used to keep a journal on Myspace, but I stopped using it. I hate writing by hand since it hurts my arm, and I want to say more words than my arm lets me write. So I type. I need to get a blog started soon because I'm slipping into bad writings habits.

Oh, I misread this. Playing? Uh... no, I'm not one for physical competition. Or competition at all. But definitely not being physical.

I like watching sports though. Hockey and tennis mostly.

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I tried journaling in high school. It didn't take. I write for reasons other than self-awareness. Writing about my deepest feelings or whatever would get boring fast, and it seems so...precious. Keeping a journal is good for a lot of people. I just can't take myself or my life seriously enough for it do me any good.

Because it's the thoughts and words that matter, typing doesn't seem impersonal to me. My handwriting is barely legible, so there really isn't enough Wite-out in the world for the times I choose to write by hand. I also prefer the dynamic quality of using a computer. I can copy, delete, and rearrange the text more easily than with paper.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
how does it feel to be fi? I dunno after you've felt something for so long, you forget about it, becomes naturally, it becomes a background thing.
It is having your conscience screaming at you constantly. Whoever said "do what is right even should the world end" was definitely an Fi-Dom.