• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Tangents, Tangents, and More Tangents

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, tangents, constantly.

I've been asked numerous times what I am laughing at or smiling about, when I didn't realize I was actually laughing out loud about something I was thinking. Then the question actually stops the tangent process and I have to physically think about what go me to that point of laughing, but of course can't explain or just don't want to b/c I know I look like a nut.

OMGGGG! I do this all the time. Muhahaha! :doh:

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This happens all the time.
I'm rarely able to listen to the teacher, since my mind is always somewhere else. The same thing happens when I read a boring book.

What you gotta do is BOTH! That's how I managed. I took copious notes, looked like I was paying attention. On some level I was.

On the other hand, I was daydreaming, playing scenes Silence of the Lambs in my head, "listening to music," having an internal thought process, or bitching at someone who pissed me off.

Once you learn the wonderful skill of actively listening with one half of your brain and actively daydreaming with the other, you`ve got it made.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Actually I dunno, I often feel like my mind is quite empty... No articulate thoughts. If you asked me what I was thinking, half the time I wouldn't know.

Though it does happen that when I'm somewhere drifting into the realm of sleep, between waking and sleeping, that I have the strangest strangest thoughts... I have no idea where they come from or how they form. Often I forget what they are, but they are definitely interesting and they go off into the craziest tangents while they happen.

That happens to me, too. Sometimes I drain my mind of thoughts until there is only black. But I can rarely do that, as my Ne starts up again. Staring blindly into space helps.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
same here, but i don't bunny hop from idea to idea like the Ne types, i just start of from a scratch of reality (or none at all) and build an entire single scenario, filled with people, conversations, enviroments, at some point in the scenario i start to laugh or gesticulate in reality just like the people in my scenario

I do that, too. Sometimes, if I am trying to solve a problem, vent, or prepare myself before something stressful, I will do that. I tend to do the other MORE, though.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I guess I caused a fuss, but who cares? Causing a fuss often generates meaningful results.

Speaking of results, why doesn't this guy improve? Is it her method or the guy's incapacity to think properly? And why aren't my other students here yet?

Man, I hate it when people are late. I mean, okay, sometimes there are reasons, but most of the time it is rude.

Okay, perhaps I should not have been as flaming in the post I wrote, but I think it is fun to set fire under people's asses, which is why my agenda is to encourage all the crazy people to eat potato salad and fart to the moon.

Speaking of potato salad, I need to go shopping. But I really do not care, so I will do it tomorrow. Damn, I am such a procrastinator. I even procrastinate with improving on that fault.

What do I have to prepare for tomorrow? Did I miss something? I have the weird feeling I did. I probably won't even get paid for these people not coming to my lesson. But the month was good, so maybe I can do some shopping. Man, I hate shopping. I should get a personal buyer, but I do not have the money.

I wonder which type likes to go shopping. Whatever it is, it is totally antithetical to me. For sure. I practically cry whenever I have to go shopping.

Why do I cry so much? I cry when I am sad. I cry when others are sad. Hell, I even cry when I am really happy. Or frustrated. Or excited. Hmm. I wonder if other people are like that? Or am I just strange.

Well, surely I am.

Speaking of strange, I would like to listen to George Carlin. Why is it when other people listen to him, and he could be much more offensive and stuff, people think he is funny, and I make one little curious post about something to dispel misinterpretations, and people flip out? Oh well, people are stupid anyway, so who gives a damn?

Damn...it is hot...as hell. Time to get something to drink. Or go swimming. I could have gone swimming if these people had canceled. Guess I have to go to the gym tomorrow.

Flirting with ENTPs? Pfft, I have enough to handle with my husband, and I am perfectly happy.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Another tangent

I wonder from whence I came...what existence before and after death means, or if it even exists. I wonder what this little thing called a soul means. I wonder if it is there, and if so, what encompases "soul"? Is it in the mind? Is it the part of the brain we do not use? If not, what happens to it after we die? Do people that die exist in some way, or is this some kind of bizarre fabrication to make us feel better? Where do feelings come from? Is it simply a combination of chemical processes and hormones, or is there something deeper? And what makes two people know they are right for each other or not? And is there A person for everyone? If so, how was this determined? If this is simply a bunch of chemical processes...well...then can we go without relationships or would our chemical processes be disturbed, therefore we need relationships simply as a means to procreate? If so, does that mean this whole soul thing was simply a fabrication? If so, what is the rest of the brain and what does it do - or is it simply there in case something goes wrong and new pathways have to be created - as a sort of bizarre insurance policy? Who used their brains the most? Is it a crazy genius? IF so, is that why he cannot deal as well with people and maintain relationships? Why do we all try to procreate anyhow? What is our purpose? How will we evolve? Surely human beings are not the end of the evolutionary chain. What will happen in a million years? And what will happen five billion years from now after the sun turns into a giant red ball of flaming gas before it finally dies? If we are the end of the evolutionary chain, imagine how much it would blow if you realized - CRAP THE SUN IS DYING and we are all gonna die in a flaming gas ball!!! Does that mean humans could live on PLUTO? And when it dies, are there other life forms that see this as simply a star that no longer exists? Uh, yeah...you get the point.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I totally have tangents like that all the time, although I rarely ever write them down. I believe my ENGL-101 professor (9 yrs ago) made us do a similar exercise where we just did "free writing," writing down anything and everything going through our heads.

I haven't done that in a while.

sleep

MBTI Type
INFP
I should post in this thread. I am the king of tangents. Well, maybe not the king. Maybe Archbishop or Duke or something like that. Why is it called a tangent anyways? Why not cosine? Man, trigonometry looks hard. I'm going to have to brush up on that before college. I'm still here typing. Hmm, that was breaking the fourth wall, like some sort of Jim Halpert move. Oh, man. I have the entire first season on my Simpledrive. I should watch that later. Why would I watch it though? I mean, I turn it on and watch it for like, 15 minutes and then I turn it off... Michael Scott is just too painful to watch. This kind of thing sounds like that part in Happiness where Dylan Baker's spacing out. That guy has a weird voice. This isn't very interesting. I don't think I have much to offer in the spectrum of tangents. I guess you have to have a base level of intelligence to sound funny or ponderous. Well, you probably have to be exceptionally ponderous in the first place to sound interesting. I wonder if that OSHO dude is ponderous. He was cool. Wise. I wanna be wise. Probably won't end up there. Oh, man. I should call Gina about that movie. Wall-E. That movie better be good. After Cars Pixar has some 'splainin' to do Lucy. Owen Wilson was horrible in that. Larry the Cable Guy was the best. That's really backwards. I wish my spacebar would stop fucking up. I need a new keyboard. Actually, I probably need a new laptop. This one's all sad and whiny. Okay, that's probably enough of the typing. Not many people are going to read this anyway. The curse of the INFP it seems.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Man, I want to go to sleep soon...and when I do, it will be tangent city again.

IF I am not totally exhausted by then.

Thanks for sharing, guys! :yes:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
This leads to that, and that leads to this, this being that.

Make it stop, please make it stop. Stop making me be something that I am not.

A knot in my gut, a chip in my heart, a memory, a dream, a longing for a new beginning.

It never ends does it, keeps me kept with nothing left but echoes.

A song, a sound, a silence.

Alone.

Solitary sociality, a nest, I want to not want you.

You are a figment of my imagination, I created you, you are not there.

I am here, no one hears me.

To care or not to care...

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Ne FTW!!! Best thread ever!

I'll be back to do tangents when it isn't 1:45am.

Kestrel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Ne types make great interviewers. Always finding connections and asking great follow up questions to gather more details.

I've seen this in action. :yes:

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I do it at work and get so involved sometimes that I wonder if I have said any of it out loud at the end. I tend to randomly play songs in my head when I want to hear them and stuff like that too, hehe.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
Are we talking about tangents lines or tangent planes?

Or tangent hyperplanes?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This leads to that, and that leads to this, this being that.

Make it stop, please make it stop. Stop making me be something that I am not.

A knot in my gut, a chip in my heart, a memory, a dream, a longing for a new beginning.

It never ends does it, keeps me kept with nothing left but echoes.

A song, a sound, a silence.

Alone.

Solitary sociality, a nest, I want to not want you.

You are a figment of my imagination, I created you, you are not there.

I am here, no one hears me.

To care or not to care...

damn...such a trip! my ramblings sound so much like this!

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He, he. This thread cracks me!
Even some of my conversations sound like this. Drives people nuts!
Sort of reminds me of a guy I once knew, he was always going off on tangents. He got fired for turning up to work high.
I really need to do something about my hair, should I get it cut?
Generally I'm quite glad no one can hear what's going on in my head. I think I manage to keep it inside, except when I radomly break into song. Damn can't type fast enough, and the fans whirring is irratating me. Maybe I should go down stairs and see if any of my neighbours are around. I really need to find out what's happening about the night guard. He's an ass but his wife is really nice. Shame about their kid being a bit of a mutant. Hey wouldn't be cool if I had super powers. I'd like to be able to read people's minds. Or maybe I don't. Then I'd find out how they really feel about me. Actually maybe while I'm on the internet maybe I should find out web domains, if I'm really gonna do this business thing I should do more research.
I'm thisty I'm gonna get drink. Oh my friend is home. Bugger! I forgot to return his DVD's.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
get to sleep, got to get to sleep

gotta beach and a bird

casey, he died

Joe's dad is about to die.

death

Give me sleep, senseless breath

vivid dreams of unlocked chests

sometimes plummet into death

Marla Singer sewed her fingers

Insectual wings flap while their scales linger

Lepidopterans, moths to flames

I once knew a boy who could play this Game

Friendships sinking

Binge drinking, purge those feelings out

I came I saw I surrendered

And found a secret out

this

well, this is just ridiculous

the Plank point futile

fertile beds of feather and lead

You and me

Yumi

I knew her, she knows me

Sleep.

Can't seem to sleep.

Thoughts and enigmatic machines working inside of me

well, can this be hell?

beautiful creatures who fought to be teachers when all they wanted was to be understood

Good, great, everything's a-ok

well, at least, that' what they all say

that's what they all say