• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Tangents, Tangents, and More Tangents

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you ever find yourselves having an internal monologue - well hell, of course it is a monologue, I don't have multiple personality disorder - well, anyway.

You're having an internal thought process while you are trying to fall asleep and this leads to that and that leads to the thing over there, and then you shock the hell out of yourself when you are almost 90% asleep and jerk yourself awake thinking, "Wait a minute, how did I get to THAT?" Then you backtrack to the point where you almost started, and you start all over again.

Yeah, eventually I put myself to sleep this way. :shock:

Um, how did I come to think about this question, anyway??? :p

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm sitting at my desk in class at college... I look at my pen... my notebook... it's frustrating that I seem to think I know what's going on in the Monadology and yet my teacher's telling me and my classmates that we've got it all wrong... except for that one kid in the corner... he seems to have this stuff licked... why's he even here?

My teacher's balding, not attractive in the least... wife's not much to look at... but he's smart... published several books... has a job with some prestige in a well-known institution of learning... when will I get there?

What's the point anyway? What is there to get over there? I know I'm going to be drunk in six hours, so drunk there'll probably be a betting pool to see which dorm lobby I end up collapsing in.... there are four or five I frequent, but I often go to other ones... should I just stick to beer today?

Why drink at all? What do I get out of it? I like it... maybe cause I'm not getting laid... what's it all about, this sexual attraction thing? Isn't it just bargaining? You're pretty attractive, and I'm pretty attractive... you seem to have good prospects... alright, I'll do you... and if we keep doing each other after that, we'll eventually break down and say we love each other because that's just going to make the relationship seem that much less like business... more ideal... more fulfilling...

What would be fulfilling? Why am I even doing philosophy? What is there to do? I could go into molecular biology, and work on some isolated, obscure problem for forty years, maybe make a few million off a patent, win a Nobel Prize... and then what? I'm dead... I'm dead with a potbelly and a fat wife who was never that attractive and I've wasted my whole life working for others, bent over papers or microscopes investigating molecular structures which don't give a shit about whether or not I'm happy... maybe social services?

And why even bother with college? If I had the drive... I could just work my ass off as a stockbroker, bilking people out of money they don't need to spend on investments because their futures would be just as secure with their earnings in a bank.... more secure... huh... is there anything worth doing? I wish I had the discipline to pursue a medical degree... but I don't... I'm so worthless..

Oh shit... I just missed a whole argument the professor was laying out.... I'm fucked... I'm fucked... we've got an essay on this due in a week, and it's worth 20% of the grade... shit... fine... it's fine...

It's fine... I'll figure it out... maybe I'll ask that self-satisfied prick in the corner for his notes... I'll have to asslick him a bit, tell him I liked some trite comment he'd made earlier, one delivered just like an asshole would deliver it... fucking asshole... I hate him...

God I need a drink... fuck this... I'm going to go straight from class to Jeff's room... smoke a blunt... fuck math class... what's anyone going to do with math anyway? I wonder if Allison likes me... that would be hot... maybe I'll find her at the cafeteria and chat her up, invite her to the party in that dorm near the quad... yeah... I'll just have to play it cool... and if she doesn't bite the line, I'll just find that chick I hooked up with last week... if I can find her... I bet she was using me just as much as I was using her...

Fuck the Monadology... I can't believe I'm in this class... this professor's an asshole... oh, thank God it's over.... class is over... and I've been spaced out for almost half of it....

MBTI Type
ENTP
This particular monologue... obviously not verbatim... but pretty much how it tends to happen... occurred in class... not while I was trying to sleep... but the latter happens too.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This particular monologue... obviously not verbatim... but pretty much how it tends to happen... occurred in class... not while I was trying to sleep... but the latter happens too.

Hahaha, Shweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!! I'm not the only one!!!!!!!!!! :yay:

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
No one does tangents like Ne dominants.

I liken my brain to a tree. Sure, you could be linear, but there are just so many branches to explore! Sometimes, though, when explaining some theory I've conjured up, I'll go from tangent branch to tangent branch without relating them to the premise they point to, which makes me sound random and incoherent. This is why I only socialize with psychics... psychics and other intuitives.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
My hair is wet and it's dripping down my back..lucky me, I am wearing a terry cloth dress, it is blue.

Why is my hair so long and why is my shin pressed against a miniature sized wooden table, or is it a stool, stool, I wonder how you spell stool, as in stool of the fecal variety? Perhaps they're spelled the same.

My sister is on her way over here right now, no one writes but me in this family, this family being my family of course.

It is quite nice outside and by nice I do mean cool, why is my mother beckoning me, why are mothers so goddamn smothering?

I am wearing a turquoise ring, I love the stone sugulite (sp?).

Africa.

I know a few who are there right now.

Africa is a huge land mass, what makes an island an island? Isn't every land mass technically an island?

Men have it soooooo easy. Or maybe they don't.

I love tangents, and sometimes I love men, sometimes I want to taste each and every one of them but alas...can't.

Mr. Samuel for sure is an ENTP, I can smell his Ne from here...

L.A. vs. N.Y, new york wins

I have two of my closest friends out there

uh-oh my sister is home, she will be bugging me in precisely, one, two, thr...

Abhaya

MBTI Type
INFP
Here I am again sitting, smoking, sitting smoking, staring into a screen waiting for something of interest to pop up. Tangent, I like those. They take me away from this inner monologue that is there all the time. Unless, I am out in the woods it stops there for moments. The trees do all the talking. I am a rock on the hillside. Temporarily of course. So now I am back here sitting, smoking, sitting smoking. Staring into the screen. Typing for no real reason at all. Just something to do. I love this forum. Share my thoughts with folk here there and everywhere. See what is going on in their minds. I have been at this computer for too long. Jeez, I need to get a life. Hey I have one, it is just of the introverted sort. The air conditioner is making a humming noise but I don't mind it. It is kind of nice. Soothing. Smoking, sitting, here it is kind of nice too. I feel calmer now, but all of this smoke is making my mouth dry. I need to drink some water. Yeah the kind with fluoride in it. Those bastards. Is this silly?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wow, this is really fascinating!!! Thank you for sharing! I am glad to know I am not the only one with this tendency.

Would anyone else like to share?

Personally, I do not know if you really want to hear my strange tangents. Hehehee :doh:

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP

I knew it! Next time I see you space out like that I'm going to smack you.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Wow, this is really fascinating!!! Thank you for sharing! I am glad to know I am not the only one with this tendency.

Would anyone else like to share?

Personally, I do not know if you really want to hear my strange tangents. Hehehee :doh:

I would definitely like to have a tangent sampling.

I particularly enjoyed CaptainChick's one... the first two lines turned me on and I was quite... well... then came the stool. Very nice. : )

phoenix13: I've always like that branching picture... arborescence and rhizomes and all that... is it really true that many/most other people don't naturally think like this?

SillyGoose

MBTI Type
EXXP
Yes, tangents, constantly.

I've been asked numerous times what I am laughing at or smiling about, when I didn't realize I was actually laughing out loud about something I was thinking. Then the question actually stops the tangent process and I have to physically think about what go me to that point of laughing, but of course can't explain or just don't want to b/c I know I look like a nut.

Flush

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
This happens all the time.
I'm rarely able to listen to the teacher, since my mind is always somewhere else. The same thing happens when I read a boring book.

redacted

i have problems with distracting thinking as well, but i tend to hyperfocus on one distracting idea instead of having many unrelated ones.

school isn't really designed for INJs or ENPs.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
Actually I dunno, I often feel like my mind is quite empty... No articulate thoughts. If you asked me what I was thinking, half the time I wouldn't know.

Though it does happen that when I'm somewhere drifting into the realm of sleep, between waking and sleeping, that I have the strangest strangest thoughts... I have no idea where they come from or how they form. Often I forget what they are, but they are definitely interesting and they go off into the craziest tangents while they happen.

Penguin

MBTI Type
ENTP
i have problems with distracting thinking as well, but i tend to hyperfocus on one distracting idea instead of having many unrelated ones.

same here, but i don't bunny hop from idea to idea like the Ne types, i just start of from a scratch of reality (or none at all) and build an entire single scenario, filled with people, conversations, enviroments, at some point in the scenario i start to laugh or gesticulate in reality just like the people in my scenario

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

but we will make very indie-educated-revolutionary-buttercup children
and they will be called diamonds in the dark
flowers or stars for short
you may call them steven and lizzy

damn Ni

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I particularly enjoyed CaptainChick's one... the first two lines turned me on and I was quite... well... then came the stool. Very nice. : )
Sex, sex is very interesting, why does it even exist, perhaps two is better than one. Oh how I wish I were gay...

Stool, the word stool reminds me of one of my favorite films which happens to be a mocumentary called Waiting for Guffman, sheer genius that movie is.

I just had a cup of coffee and am now damn near bouncing off the walls.

Typing takes too slow man, to get all these thoughts out.

Thoughts without a thinker
, it's a book I own, never read it, don't even know how I obtained it but my memory says it is by a man named M-something Epstein. I might be wrong, all I have is my memory and it freaks me out to think how my memory is a fallible and degenerating thing, yikes!!

What was I thinking/writing about?? Oh yeah, sex. BALJADIOJOAFJSJS

Fuck sex, sex ruins everything, so does estrogen, oh well.

I think it is funny how men will agree to neuter their pets.

The concept of neuticals makes me laugh.

What would a man be sans his testicles, he would be incredibly different, incredibly different indeed.

Nuts, I *don't* think they're pretty, women, however are... very pretty indeed.

Peons with penises.

Vaginae are weird

People are weirder.

I am weirdest.

No I am not, you are weirder than I.. and yes this is a contest, a conquest.

Veni,

Vidi,

Vici!

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Do you ever find yourselves having an internal monologue - well hell, of course it is a monologue, I don't have multiple personality disorder - well, anyway.

You're having an internal thought process while you are trying to fall asleep and this leads to that and that leads to the thing over there, and then you shock the hell out of yourself when you are almost 90% asleep and jerk yourself awake thinking, "Wait a minute, how did I get to THAT?" Then you backtrack to the point where you almost started, and you start all over again.

Yeah, eventually I put myself to sleep this way. :shock:

Um, how did I come to think about this question, anyway??? :p

You describe the Ne (Extroverted Intuition) function in action. ;)

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You describe the Ne (Extroverted Intuition) function in action. ;)

Hehehe...My Ne always scores the highest on any test. No matter what.

I'm craaaaaaaaaaaaaazaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! :party2::happy2:

Anyway I think it's time to do a little more daydreaming so that I can tick off Mr. NT with more details on how I want to take over the world with my agenda.

Muhahaha! :devil: