• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFP's, inadequate compared to ENFP's?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
okay so i may have read this thread last year and forgot, maybe i even already commented..i'll find out in a sec...but are you all reeeaaally that warm and gooey? i get emotionally deep but not really gooey so much. from my perspective...i think enfps kinda are way more gooey...but you guys are more deeply emotional..probably.

edit: sorry that was just to address that part of it but...come on man...i hope you don't still feel that way. infps are awesome. i'll come back in a sec...i'm trying to read the thread haha

lecky

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Because you show very little social/emotional/at all reaction ?!

That is funny you say that! I dated an ENTP and he would always call me aloof. I thought he was great, a bit of a player but we got along really well. He would not stop calling me aloof...I felt like he was used to women just falling all over him and that is exactly what I was not going to do. We had crazy instant mental/physical chemistry...it was insane. He seemed like he needed what I did...to be pursued, he did pursue me, but I was hesitant to give back because I felt like he was a player. He did say one of the sweetest things to me I'll never forget, but you guys are tricky to trust.

I show a great depth of emotion when I feel "safe" with someone, ENFPs and ENTPs don't make me feel that way and I don't know why. There is always this wonder if whether or not they are being genuine and that's really important to me.

I have a close ENFP friend but we have known each other for years. Now that I think of it she did say I was standoffish (those were not her exact words, she was more blunt lol) at first.

lecky

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You meant Goofy not gooey

We are very warm, goofy and gooey and yes deeply emotional once we let you in. We protect our hearts, a broken hearted INFP is a mess. :cry:

If you have ever witnessed one, you would probably just want to shake them, it's a sad sad sight.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
That is funny you say that! I dated an ENTP and he would always call me aloof. I thought he was great, a bit of a player but we got along really well. He would not stop calling me aloof...I felt like he was used to women just falling all over him and that is exactly what I was not going to do. We had crazy instant mental/physical chemistry...it was insane. He seemed like he needed what I did...to be pursued, he did pursue me, but I was hesitant to give back because I felt like he was a player. He did say one of the sweetest things to me I'll never forget, but you guys are tricky to trust.

I show a great depth of emotion when I feel "safe" with someone, ENFPs and ENTPs don't make me feel that way and I don't know why. There is always this wonder if whether or not they are being genuine and that's really important to me.

Thats prolly my last 10 year realationship with an infp summed up in two words.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
We are very warm, goofy and gooey and yes deeply emotional once we let you in. We protect our hearts, a broken hearted INFP is a mess. :cry:

If you have ever witnessed one, you would probably just want to shake them, it's a sad sad sight.

If you try to appeal to my guarding instinct, you'll fail. I have an infp ward, by now !!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
General question for anybody: how frequently, or perhaps non-frequently, are INFP's grounded or grounding for others? I have been for like most of my life, as many people have told me, but I've also done lots of yoga, martial arts, outdoorsy time, and spent most of my life around the military. So I'm not exactly anybody's "stereotypical INFP"! I've also had the often-not-privilege of having Te "take precedence over everything else", so I'm almost certainly far more Te-capable than many other INFP's. I'm also very well-connected and "tame" in my Ne and its application. I do feel less NF-y than mnay other NF's though, and definitely much less NFP-y than most other NFP's.

Part of what I so like about ENFP's is that they really "put out there" and "let it all hang out there" stuff that so many things in my life taught me "were not socially appropriate." Anti-Fi, anti-Ne, attitudes, pro "squared away STJ-ness." ENFP's are like "healers" for me, showing me ways to "put it all [Fi, Ne] out there, and have it be socially acceptable." That and/or they show me "not to [care] if other people dont appreciate having Fi and Ne put it out there and to do it anyways."

that warmed my heart a lil awww :wubbie: i feel like i'm so often trying to express that to my infp bf...like...you are freakin awesome...if someone doesn't get it that's on them. that just means they're not awesome in the same way you are...and if you value different things why do you care what they think of you??!!

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INFP's are amazing...

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
General question for anybody: how frequently, or perhaps non-frequently, are INFP's grounded or grounding for others? I have been for like most of my life, as many people have told me, but I've also done lots of yoga, martial arts, outdoorsy time, and spent most of my life around the military. So I'm not exactly anybody's "stereotypical INFP"! I've also had the often-not-privilege of having Te "take precedence over everything else", so I'm almost certainly far more Te-capable than many other INFP's. I'm also very well-connected and "tame" in my Ne and its application. I do feel less NF-y than mnay other NF's though, and definitely much less NFP-y than most other NFP's.

Part of what I so like about ENFP's is that they really "put out there" and "let it all hang out there" stuff that so many things in my life taught me "were not socially appropriate." Anti-Fi, anti-Ne, attitudes, pro "squared away STJ-ness." ENFP's are like "healers" for me, showing me ways to "put it all [Fi, Ne] out there, and have it be socially acceptable." That and/or they show me "not to [care] if other people dont appreciate having Fi and Ne put it out there and to do it anyways."
This pretty much perfectly describes why I love ENFPs.

INFPs are great, but I've never hit it off with them as well. I have some good INFP friends, but generally when I encounter an INFP irl, we end up disliking each other for the typical shadow-oriented reasons. By contrast, I've had a "click" with almost every confirmed ENFP I know, right off the bat.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I should think that an INFP would be eventually horrified and feel extremely put upon if suddenly the world noticed them the same way as it does the ENFP. Being noticed is a big responsibility and gets tiresome as hell. I could see an INFP, after some time passing, suddenly feeling quite smothered and wishing for some desperately needed privacy and time to themselves to just think/feel. Maybe even coming to the conclusion eventually that it's impossible to trust/truly know who likes them for what quality and why.

It's just as possible to be lonely and feel misunderstood in a crowd.

this is such a good point. i know my infp wouldn't like to have a lot of attention.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Thank you!! Sometimes I think less than 10% who take the MBTI actually bother to try understanding personality theory. It's a wonderful occasion when I come across someone like you who has really done some research and isn't interested in lying to themselves. Everyone thinks they're an NF or an NT even though iNtuitives are the rarest and most difficult to come across. They say "because the test said so" but the accuracy of the test is always based on the test taker's willingness to be honest with themselves. I get sick of everyone lying to themselves all the time. I know that no one wants to say they have trouble understanding really complex things or that they don't catch on right away or whathaveyou, and I know that a lot of people are secretly conceited and don't want to admit to themselves that they're not secretly geniuses that are just misunderstood by their friends. Highly abstracts concepts can be interesting to most people but that . But people need to face reality at least once in their life... let it be about their personality.

You also pointed out that the MBTI falsely correlates T traits with low accommodation and F traits with high levels of accommodation (and pretty much claims that the relationship is totally causal). This is another one of those things that's just silly. For me, it happens to be true, but for my boyfriend, it's completely false. He's definitely a Thinker but he's frighteningly accommodating. People need to understand that saying when someone is wrong or pointing out flaws in a system isn't unaccommodating and - for an INTJ who, Socionically speaking, has almost no understanding of how Se power struggles and societal hierarchies work - it's definitely not meant to be a point of conflict. It's just honesty. A simple discussion about objective truth. INTPs may be more interested in the hierarchies but INTJs actually fear conflict in some cases, just as much as INFJs. The placement of Se in the Id or Ego makes just as much of a difference as T and F do, but that still can't always determine someone's inherent level of accommodation.

You seem like you've really looked into this and know what you're talking about. If you haven't already looked into this, go to sociotype.com. At first (and maybe 20th) glace, it lacks the kid-friendly simplicity of the MBTI. I believe that's the reason it's so much less popular. It takes effort to learn about Sociotypes and understand them. But when you do, it will probably be the most rewarding experience you've had with personality theory for some time. The focus on functions is far greater and that sets it apart from the MBTI in a very positive way. Once you understand how that system works, it feels like you've achieved some kind of transcendence (Depp movie that everyone should watch - the Christian Science Monitor gave it a bad rating because the religious possibilities scare them) of the MBTI that you didn't even know existed.

Yes I think in terms of Socionics being confrontational is going to be the turf of the Se Gammas rather than the Ni Gammas though the Ni types are the Ts...INTJ will come across as a pseudo victim and ESFP a pseudo aggressor. Se Te loops could be equally as terrifying in an ESFP as an ENTJ. My ESFP mother threatened to shoot me at 3 am because I walked into the kitchen in my nightgown and didn't know her husband was passed out on the couch. My mother is generally a kind and permissive woman who is gentle with animals and children and plays the role of class clown or cheerleader for most of her life.

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFPs seem "deeper," and to have a better insight into moral behavior, but ENFPs seem less selfish and more concerned about others. They also seem more innovative, due to dominant Ne. Of course, this is just my personal experiences, and I'm sure its less to do with type than the people I've known.

yeah :/. we're basically the sadder, more pathetic version of ENFP

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It's weird reading my posts in this thread when I identified as ENFP. I still have the same feelings of confusion and frustration. Still see INFPs as simply different. I think there is an e4 thing going on here that I don't get because I still don't get it. Sorry Scott for all the fuss.