• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other] "My Dream is to be a Wife"

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
"My Dream is to be a Wife" ... does this quote disturb anyone else?

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Couldn't resist.

More seriously, though. Not if it doesn't bother the person who claims so. Should it?

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Not really disturb. I can't relate to it but I don't find it upsetting.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
No, but I've got the tee shirt, so I might be tempted to give an insider's view if I heard it IRL.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, because it sounds like they are more concerned about following the social protocol than in finding the right person.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's one of my dreams, among other things.

It's also one of those dreams that relies a lot on finding a good person for yourself, and as of right now, not my biggest priority.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
S

Society

not - as far as judging her life aspirations - whatever floats her boat.
yes - if i was considering her for the SO position - wouldn't feel genuine.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It feels alien to me but i recognize it as a valid life goal and need. Some people seem just born to that role, like a fish to water. I admire their skills and level of...well..professionalism in this area very much. Compared to them, I often feel like a hack :D

It is a legitimate career path, imho.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't relate... the notion of having your greatest aspiration in life depend on another person to that degree just makes my skin crawl, a little.

Like everyone else has said here.. whatever works for each individual. It doesn't disturb me if someone else has a fulfilling life achieving that 'dream.' That's their business. They're not hurting anyone.. and it's their life, not mine.

But yeah, if it were posed to me, as in, "wouldn't your life's purpose be realized if you became a wife:holy:?!"
I'd just.. back the fuck away...

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess this would scare me silly. I imagine a woman with a iron husband shaped box to push me in. (This happened to me already.)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well, the idea of one's highest aspiration being defined by someone else seems sad.

But I can relate on the level that I deeply desire to be in a loving, formally-committed forever-relationship someday.

What it really makes me think of is Sailor Moon, because it was Serena/Usagi's stated dream to be a wife, and of course it turns out that she's also the future monarch of a huge realm, the leader of a band of soldiers, and the reincarnated savior of the universe.

Not bad. :shrug:

I suspect most people, like her, will end up self-actualizing to the extent that they are called to do so. If wife doesn't cut it, they'll keep searching.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't relate to it either, but it's not sad to me. It's actually surprising someone would openly say it though.

I don't even think it's a social expectation for women anymore (as evidenced by most people's reactions to it). People who want families instead of careers or fame or achievement are often seen as sad now, as if they're wasting themselves. I think that's kind of sad too. It's like anything in the intimate realm is not regarded as satisfying or fulfilling; it must be public achievement as measured by others instead of your own internal experience.

But most people don't think it's sad if you were to say, "I'd like to be a doctor so I can help people in pain" or something like that. But why is it pathetic to nurture, help, care for, etc, in the wife role? Because it's unpaid, without prestige?

Or it's generally not seen as sad to say, "It's my dream to find a lasting, deep love with someone." But having a dream where you're in a loving, committed relationship as a "wife" is sad?

I imagine someone who says this has possibly examined their needs & aptitudes & decided "wife" is a good fit for them. I think nowadays, it may even take some courage to say that, because ideals have shifted so much in a different direction.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That statement is so vague, how could it disturb me?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That is certainly the message I got from my conservative church as a teenager.

That ideals have shifted? I think they have, even if there are some still promoting old fashioned ways, and people will be judged as old fashioned in a pathetic way by everyone else. Anytime you oppose the majority philosophy & leave yourself open to their criticism, whether by trailblazing or sticking to what they call outdated, there's some courage involved. That doesn't always make it noble courage.

Personally, I'm not saying all old ideals were better either (because they aren't my ideals). I just see a real false dichotomy created between the modern & old ideals, as if it's one or the other & they always oppose each other. It also makes it seem as if a certain path means one thing & one thing only. The assumption that someone would come from a conservative church to have such a "dream" is exactly what I mean... Because I don't think someone saying their dream to be a wife means "1950s housewife" or giving up their own identity & needs/wants. Perhaps someone saying this has a different idea of "wife" (which is kind of what I was getting at in my comparison to being a doctor or finding love, etc).

To me, what takes courage is saying, "I know what suits me, regardless of these popular, external ideals of the moment". So that's why I wouldn't think it's sad. Do I fully get their dream? No. I personally see it as a bit naive, but I see a lot of "dreams" that way now, especially when they involve roles to reach personal fulfillment (including most careers).

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It depends on the assumptions associated with that statement. I can feel a few reactions. There are many traditions associated with marriage that diminish a woman's identity as a full human being. These include becoming "Mrs. John Johnson", being given away from father to husband at the wedding ceremony as property transfer, and even wearing the white dress and veil has numerous implications. The institution of marriage has a history of being a way to define property and inheritance and in many ways requires an unequal power balance between the genders in order to function. The concept of becoming a "wife" is expressing a desire to fit into a socially defined role that has grown out of all of the above.

It is true that becoming a "wife" also has to do with being a loving member of a family community and helping to provide stability for the upbringing of children. In our more modern context people define the role in additional ways, but if it strays too far from the original ideals, it does cause a ruckus in society.

Does it disturb me personally for a specific individual to make that statement? No, because it is their life and I would just wish their best happiness. Also, their meaning could be much different from how I might think about it. I would be happy for them if that person were able to find their happiness, but I also think it is worth examining the broader social implications in discussion.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, because it sounds like they are more concerned about following the social protocol than in finding the right person.

This.

Also, I wonder if she could be happy just being independent and not in a relationship.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But most people don't think it's sad if you were to say, "I'd like to be a doctor so I can help people in pain" or something like that. But why is it pathetic to nurture, help, care for, etc, in the wife role? Because it's unpaid, without prestige?

The unpaid part is the key. Its almost like if a woman says "I want to be a doctor" its implied to mean "I want to be a doctor... And a wife too if that works out". So when someone says, "I want to be a wife (As a career)" it's sort of like saying "I want to be rich". A one income household with a stay at home wife/mom tends to be something that requires $$$$. Anyone that says "I want to be rich" tends to get a reaction.