• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Thought I was INFJ. Tested as INFP?

Spiritual Science

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Hello, there. It's been awhile since I've posted here. Recently, I took the "official" MBTI test proctored by my university's career center. Using the test in the book, Please Understand Me, I tested as INFJ. My results, (out of 30 for each preference) are as follows:

(I)ntroversion - 30/30 (Very Clear Preference)

I(N)tuition - 14/30 (Moderate)

(F)eeling - 12/30 (Moderate)

(P)erceiving - 1/30 (Very Slight)

This last preferecne is what makes me uneasy, but thinking about it, I do seem to have an almost equal preference for these behaviors. In the past, I tested unofficially and self-typed myself as INFJ. Reading the descriptions of each, they both sound like me. I tend to prefer to have things settled (J), but also dislike routine for the sake of routine (P).

I know the main difference between INFJ and INFP is that INFP's dominant function is Fi with auxillary Ne, while INFJ is Ni with auxillary Fe. I guess I could use some assistance understanding the difference between these functions. These seem like such similar types, but I know they aren't. Fi is confusing to me. INFJ and INFP almost have opposite/reversed dominant/auxillary functions. I know there is stuff on the web about this, but I think if I discuss this with people in real time, I'll have an easier time understanding it.

I know this is a big difference, which is why I'm struggling to figure out my true type.

Currently, my room (shared with ENFP girlfriend) is quite messy. I have a bookcase I haven't organized since we moved here, and misc. items everywhere. My approach to organizing is wait until the room becomes unbearably messy and then go on a rampage throwing things out/organizing. I'm only occasionally organized, and only if it's for a reason, such as working on a group project, or keeping all my files i care about tidy on my harddrive. I tend to be artistic, but I'm extremely self-critical and beat myself up all the time. This seems to prevent me from pursing my dreams. Basically, fear of failure/comittment. I also feel the need to find my spirituality, and I'm constantly redefining my outlook on life. It really gets exhausting after awhile. I'm never satisfied with the way I feel/think about the world.

I also procrastinate quite a bit. I'm quite bright, but never really enjoyed studying. I frequently shout "I f***ing hate this" while studying, which is why I'm discontinuing my second bachelor's degree after this semester.

I'm definitely introverted, and can be awkward in social situations. I also feel like I do have fairly strong Ne, which I feel paralyzes me in social situations. I often want to say something to ease the tension, but in doing so fear I might make others aware that there was tension in the first place, who might not have been aware otherwise.
I feel like I can read people's emotions and feelings very easily, which makes me uncomfortable when I'm with friends and there is obvious (to me) tension in the room. I am hypersensitive to mine and others' emotions. I am also very sensitive to criticism, even helpful criticism. I'd almost rather not show someone I like a photograph I took, or painting I made, just in case they say something negative about it. Even if they don't share my enthusiasm, my feelings get hurt a little bit. I'm aware of this, but can't seem to change this tendency.

Anyways, I apologize for ranting on about myself, but hopefully someone else out there is in the same boat and can benefit from the discussion hereafter.

Thanks for reading!

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hey :)

Hard to tell by your post. I'm leaning a little INFP, but a handful of little "tells" about you seem INFJ.

Here are my favorite type character overviews of INFJ and INFP, from Berens and Nardi. These descriptions really helped me pinpoint my type - maybe they can help you with yours, too.

INFJ "Foreseer Developer"

The INFJ theme is foresight. Use their insights to deal with complexity in issues and people, often with a strong sense of "knowing" before others know themselves. Talents lie in developing and guiding people. Trust their inspirations and visions, using them to help others. Thrive on helping others resolve deep personal and ethical dilemmas. Private and complex, they bring a quiet enthusiasm and industry to projects that are part of their vision.

Thought processes: foreseeing implications, transformations, and likely effects; connecting and considering others and the group; analyzing, categorizing, and evaluating according to principles; experiencing and acting in the immediate context.

INFP "Harmonizer Clarifier"

The theme for the INFP is advocacy and integrity. Talents lie in helping people clarify issues, values, and identity. Support anything that allows the unfolding of the person. Encourage growth and development with quiet enthusiasm. Loyal advocates and champions, caring deeply about their causes and a few special people. Interested in contemplating life's mysteries, virtues, and vices in their search for wholeness. Thrive on healing conflicts, within and between, and taking people to the center of themselves.

Thought processes: valuing and considering importance, beliefs, and worth; interpreting situations and relationships and pickup meanings and interconnections to other contexts; reviewing and recalling past experiences and seeking detailed data; segmenting, organizing for efficiency, and systematizing.

Do either of these sound clearly like you?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
(I)ntroversion - 30/30 (Very Clear Preference) = you are definitely an introvert based on how you answered

I(N)tuition - 14/30 (Moderate) = you are pretty clearly an intuitive based on how you answered

(F)eeling - 12/30 (Moderate) = you are pretty clearly an intuitive based on how you answered

(P)erceiving - 1/30 (Very Slight) = based on how you answered its not clear whether you are J or P, but a wild guess would be that you are a P

also, its possible that what you answered doesent represent true you for multiple reasons

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What's kinda funny is that^ (skylights' post) may be the single only time I have ever related more to an INFP description than an INFJ one. (And I'm too J for my own damn self.)

As for the op, it does sound more INFP to me. Regarding messes- I know I personally can handle a mess, so long as I know where the important things are at all times. If I remember correctly, this is something that's come up in threads before- with INFJs saying they tend to be super particular about a few things. I get really agitated if my keys aren't in the right place because it can take me hours to find them. My desk is often a mess- but I always put bills in the exact same place.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Very close J/P scores often but not always suggest the actual type of the test taker is P. This is due to the societal pressure of J behavior being more desirable, particularly in the workplace or in a school setting.

Have you taken a cognitive functions test?

I'd be interested to see how you score.

I

Infinite Bubble

The typing continuum: Experienced external analysis > Yourself > Test results. In other words, tests are generally the worst way to type yourself. Your own judgement is greater than it. That said, I read more Fe than Fi in your post, but I'm far from certain. I should just point out though that being messy or disorganized doesn't disqualify you from being a Judger.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What's kinda funny is that^ (skylights' post) may be the single only time I have ever related more to an INFP description than an INFJ one. (And I'm too J for my own damn self.)

As for the op, it does sound more INFP to me. Regarding messes- I know I personally can handle a mess, so long as I know where the important things are at all times. If I remember correctly, this is something that's come up in threads before- with INFJs saying they tend to be super particular about a few things. I get really agitated if my keys aren't in the right place because it can take me hours to find them. My desk is often a mess- but I always put bills in the exact same place.
I also read it and wondered if I'm INFP. My J/P axis has always been close testing as X the first time I took the test. I always thought my organizational abilities is what proved my "J-ness" and my penchant for abstract systems proof of Ni. I'm a *really* droopy chicky irl and am non-controlling to a fault in everything except one or two areas of deep pain and self-esteem issues. (I can feel jealous if my SO is drawn to another woman, even if I'm imagining it, but other than that it's pretty no control)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

That's curious, Z Buck. I've never ran across that with these before. So even with all the future-thinking emphasis in the INFJ blurb versus the emphasis on values and healing in the INFP blurb? Do you know exactly what it is that you identify with more in the INFP one and less in the INFJ one? I am so curious.

What you said about being very particular about a few certain things holds true for other IxFJs I know as well. :yes: Whereas most IxFPs I know are just kinda messy. :]

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Read about Fe (preferably a description with plenty of clear examples), and then think back to your earliest childhood experiences with the function in adults. What did you feel and how strongly do you remember? What did you do?

Now you know if you lead with Fi.

pathos

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I concur with the poster who said to take the cognitive functions test. Your uni may provide this test. However, I also know that the tests can be crap.

It's always been my opinion that the test shouldn't be taken multiple times. It's biased at this point because you can link what each question is asking to each letter. At this point, people start creating a checklist (Oh, I'm organized, therefore I'm J. I like going out to parties, therefore I'm E). Another poster brought in environmental factors, which I think is relevant, but complex to understanding what you are.

In any case, as for the functions

INFP = Fi - Ne - Si - Te

INFJ = Ni - Fe - Ti - Se

My experiences with Fi vs Fe (disclaimer: I could be absolutely wrong here and am basing this off of two people)

I dated an INFJ and an INFP on and off for a few years (err..not at the same time).

Ni - Fe strikes me as this:

The area around me is my world. I am connected to my world and the feelings and emotions within. These feelings and emotions affect me. Because I am connected to my world, I want to be proactive about the possibilities within this world. In a way, the Ni acts as a box for the Fe.

Fi - Ne strikes me as this:

I know my inner feelings and values. I want to expand these values to the outer world around me. In a way, the Fi is a box for the Ne. Fi is individual oriented and Ne is expanding possibilities. Thus, I want the people around me to explore the various opportunities of my value system.

It's always been hard for me to explain the differences between the two, though it's very obvious to me the differences, they are hard to verbalize. On one hand, the INFP was more in tune with his emotions, whilst the INFJ was more in tune with mine. The INFP was more emotional and reactionary, whilst the INFJ always needed lots of time to deal with his emotions and outbursts were rare (there were also plenty of warnings).

I can think of a few examples, but I'm not sure how helpful they would be.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's curious, Z Buck. I've never ran across that with these before. So even with all the future-thinking emphasis in the INFJ blurb versus the emphasis on values and healing in the INFP blurb? Do you know exactly what it is that you identify with more in the INFP one and less in the INFJ one? I am so curious.

Not long ago I lauded the enneagram descriptions of some site (can’t remember which off hand) to a friend- because the e5 descriptions were always so spot on to me and hit so much closer to home than other sites. The friend told me it’s the only site she didn’t like because she couldn’t relate to their e4 descriptions at all (and after reading a few books and several sites, she decided she’s definitely e4). :laugh: :shrug: So maybe it’s just the INFJ description. [I hear you though- my initial reaction to my friend was "...but....the e5 descriptions are so good!"]

But anyway, yeah. It took me a while to understand why Ni is described as “future orientated”- while I can see it now after being in the forum a couple years and having many conversations about it, I would never have really considered anything about myself “future orientated” before. I can recognize now it’s the reason I get anxious about things- like needing my keys to be in the same place, I already know from experience that it can easily take me four hours to find them so I’m proactively adamant about putting them in one spot. But the ‘future orientation’ influence is sorta like an underlying force that I didn’t recognize till it was brought to my attention here in the forum. It’s emphasized a little too much in that synopsis, imo- kinda like saying “you can recognize the lack of SLR in cameras when the image you actually get back from the film is slightly different from what you saw in the viewfinder.” <- For that description to be at all useful, a person has to understand what SLR is (single lens reflex- it means what you see in the viewfinder is going directly through the lens instead of giving you a guesstimate view like old cameras would), and they have to have used the camera enough times to realize part of their image was consistently getting cut off on one side.

Basically, that INFJ description makes INFJs sound so goal-oriented and ‘GET ‘ER DONE!’ that I would never have related to it. In comparison to INFPs- yes, I suppose I do feel more goal oriented (at least where my interaction with the external world is concerned- I like things settled externally because that frees up energy for internal exploration). But I definitely do not feel goal-oriented compared to most people. I feel distracted by a need to maintain integrity, distracted by a need to explore self-actualization of myself and others (a ‘goal’ I believe all NFs feel a certain predilection to)….the stuff I’ve always been far more aware of isn’t even really listed in the INFJ description, yet it is in the INFP description. I honestly believe that stuff is as important to INFJs (by virtue of NF idealism)- it’s just that INFPs approach it from a different angle. I don’t think INFPs are *more* interested in values or healing- it’s just that it’s a more immediate and external process for them (so more ‘apparent’ on the surface).

Also: “They trust their inspirations and visions”…..that phrase alone would make me reticent to choose that description. I’ve never trusted my intuitions and vision anywhere near as much as retrospect tells me I should have, because it’s so hard to articulate and I’m so loathe to impose my own vague ‘impressions’ on other people. Truth be told, I’ve known a couple INFJs who do trust their ‘inspirations and visions’- without really questioning it- and they’re pretty heinous to deal with. So while I do need to learn to give my gut feeling more weight…..I never want to get to the point where I simply *trust* the impressions without thinking about it. So there’s a level of confidence implied in that description that I’ve never felt, I don’t even want to feel- and that I actually feel somewhat threatened by. [eta: fia mentioned being "non-controlling to a fault" and I very much relate to that. I can't begin to describe how often in the past I had a sense that something was off and I just went along with it because I didn't want come off as controlling- only to have it proven a very reasonable doubt on my behalf. So that's why I've said I'm working on trusting my gut feeling more and being okay with being obstinate about not going along with something, even when I can't explain it. At this point in my life I feel confident in the notion that anyone who pressures me into going along with something before I feel okay with it- and tries to make me feel 'controlling' for simply being slow to process- is probably someone who shouldn't be in my life to begin with.]

Overall the problem I have with that synopsis is similar to the problem I have with Fe descriptions- I've always related far more to Fi descriptions than Fe descriptions. I think because the descriptions make the mistake of describing a 'product' (values, etc) of the functions rather than the means of getting that product. NiFe and FiNe often end up with the same product, though they take different roads to get there. There's little doubt in my mind I'm one of the J-est damn Js that ever did J.

What you said about being very particular about a few certain things holds true for other IxFJs I know as well. :yes: Whereas most IxFPs I know are just kinda messy. :]

Yeah, I’m pretty sure I’ve noticed that INFJs often admit to being messy- yet throw in a rather firm “I just need to know where everything is” stipulation. That least Se anxiety over things in the external environment is a bitch. :yes:

Spiritual Science

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Very close J/P scores often but not always suggest the actual type of the test taker is P. This is due to the societal pressure of J behavior being more desirable, particularly in the workplace or in a school setting.

Have you taken a cognitive functions test?

I'd be interested to see how you score.

First, I'd like to thank you all for your responses. I have taken a cognitive functions test here: http://www.keys2cognition.com/explore.htm

and my results hint at why I was confused. Here they are:

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)

extraverted Sensing (Se) ******************* (25.1) average use

introverted Sensing (Si) ******************* (19.3) limited use

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************* (46) excellent use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************* (43.7) excellent use

extraverted Thinking (Te) ******************* (16.2) limited use

introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************* (19.5) limited use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) ***************** (30.8) good use

introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************(38.6) excellent use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFP

Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Feeling (Fi): Staying true to who you really are. Paying close attention to your personal identity, values and beliefs. Checking with your conscience. Choosing behavior congruent with what is important to you.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

Again, thank you for this suggestion. It seems very true that society likely influences P types to feel pressured to have more J like qualities. Perhaps, my own behavioral expectations were heavily influenced by my very INFJ mother. I think it's likely. From the the above test, it's clear my Te, Ti, Si, and Se are my most underdeveloped functions, while I have "excellent" development of both Ni and Ne (which probably contributed to my confusion over type). My Ne is only slightly more developed than my Ni. I think pursuing photography ( i just recently acquired a fancy smancy DSLR) will help develop my Se. It seems my Ne (auxillary function in INFPs) is more developed than my Fi. Can anyone help me figure this out. Shouldn't Fi be most developed if I am an INFP?

This test nevertheless helped me gain a better and more thorough understanding of my type. I feel more confident I am an INFP now. It just seems I convinced myself I was INFJ very well, but understandibly now. Comments and further discussion welcome

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I almost always score INFP on tests. I think it's because it's hard to come up with good questions for iNtuitive Judgers. I don't look like a Judger on the outside compared to an SJ, but my Fe preference is pretty pronounced.