• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Addicted

Abbey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I become irretriveably infatuated with certain people, ideas, books, movies, possessions..
I don't want to be 'filled' by one of my addictions though, but rather fill it with my affections. I desire to love and understand; consume/become one with my sole obsession that has subjugated me.

Does anyone else relate?
How do you experience addictions?

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hahaha - yeah, I relate, though not in exactly the same way; I don't think so, at least.

When I become obsessed with something, it fills my mind. I want to know everything about it (them), and be the only one who knows about it (them).

It starts to consume me. Sometimes, if an obsession becomes strong enough, my own well being/best interests start to take a back seat to the obsession, and that's usually when I have to attempt to forcibly dial things back for my own well being. Sometimes, that's easier said than done.

Abbey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hahaha - yeah, I relate, though not in exactly the same way; I don't think so, at least.

When I become obsessed with something, it fills my mind. I want to know everything about it (them), and be the only one who knows about it (them).

It starts to consume me. Sometimes, if an obsession becomes strong enough, my own well being/best interests start to take a back seat to the obsession, and that's usually when I have to attempt to forcibly dial things back for my own well being. Sometimes, that's easier said than done.

I definitely agree with this. Do you think it is an INFP trait?

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I definitely agree with this. Do you think it is an INFP trait?

:shrug: It does remind me a little of Fi, but I really don't know.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I do this too, but it has always struck me as sort of a P trait. Or maybe it is something relating to Si (even if you are not Si-dom)? I have no idea.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I would say I am a pretty obsessive/person who gets addicted. Internet addiction may count but everyone has that issue these days. I get very attached to my belongings in general and possessive of them. I have a collection of things that I keep in orderly chaos and I freak out if people touch it without my permission. Also, with caffeine. With obsession, the fun kind of obsession is with movies, characters, concepts, and other things.

But I can get obsessed over situations that induce anxiety and people's motivations and that is not so fun. Or if I perceive someone is being not so nice or has ulterior motives I get stuck on it and my mind plays it in a loop. I can't get stuff like that off my mind, any kind of obsession can last for months or even years. There may be things I fixate on I can let go of quicker than that but there have been cases where the only thing that can come to mind is "I have issues...."

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I experience this but it is more of a desire to completely submerge myself into what I am obsessing over, like I want to feel as though my entire life revolves around that thing for an amount of time. But I can get quickly bored and go from addicted to disinterested at the flip of a switch, so I find I have a hard time forming long-term attachments to things because I tire of them so fast and feel the need to move on to my next point of obsession. I do this with interests, possessions, and relationships often where it starts like fireworks and once those fireworks stop going off for me then I drop it like a rock. Would die for it one day and couldn't care less the next.