• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Trying to imitate Ne, think its possible?

karenk

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
With NJs, how Ni works is that it always (well, usually) knows the answer. Brainstorming is an immediate, internalized, automatic process with flash conclusions -- thus the NJ does not want to search through any more answers and just wants to get down to business.

What I find frustrating about Ni is the difficulty in explaining how you know something.

sych0

MBTI Type
INFJ
Agreed. When I try to explain myself, I either don't have words to explain it or spend 20 minutes sounding like a damn fool as I bridge the parts together to form the words. Just get back to me tomorrow and I'll explain myself.

Penguin

MBTI Type
ENTP
I can really only build things up if I'm with my Ne friends. I'm good with the major building blocks of ideas (hat) but bad with the branching details (napolean??).
thats exactly what i want to do, i always found that big idea building ability Ne's have very elegant and interesting

a question to NPs about this, can u do this with any type? (idea building) or just a limited few ?

Endolori

MBTI Type
INFP
If you ask my personal opinion I'd prefer Ni over Ne any day. Simply because I hate being indecisive and having to consider all the options, and even after having chosen a path, still second guessing myself and wondering if I picked the correct route.

Anyway to a certain extent brainstorming works, I'd guess. Although don't you feel weird, like you're doing something strange? I feel that way when I try to use Ni.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Spirilis' concept of Ni reminds me of "code grids" where, let's say, you have a whole SHEET of words that don't make any sense if you look at the whole cluster of data... but you own a decoding sheet with little windows cut randomly in it, and when you put the decoder sheet over the page of data and move the top sheet around / turn it, eventually you get a "best fit" solution where the words of the secret message finally appear in the slots.

a question to NPs about this, can u do this with any type? (idea building) or just a limited few ?

Can you explain better what you're asking? I'm still not quite sure...

Priam

MBTI Type
INTP
thats exactly what i want to do, i always found that big idea building ability Ne's have very elegant and interesting

If you mean "can we do this with any idea?" then the answer is "the hard part is STOPPING!"

I went through Jennifer's list of branching ideas and immediately could tell how she could have made each and every jump. Think of us as walking Wikipedias, constantly linking from this entry to that then back to edit something else based on new data... we're dangerously organized in our heads, though we could never tell you how or why that internal organization came about. Every link of thought can be traced back to the thought before, easily traced and logically consistent, though with no forethought put in.

- cat in the hat - big tall hat, easily spotted
- cowboy - see big funny hat on his head
- hair covering - a purpose for which the hat exists
- splat - let's just say it's a noise we'd prefer to have land on said object
- three-letter words - obvious
- silly - c'mon. Silly hats are awesome!
- clothes
- Napolean - talk about a silly hat! Him and George Washington with their weird hats... connection? I think so!

(cue Scrubs-esque imagination moment where Napoleon and Washington are long-lost brothers destined to fight one last never-ending battle for dominance. I see a movie with Arnold Schwarzenneger and Danny DeVito starring!)

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
So one way to practise Ne = get on the train of thought, and ride it for all it's worth? :D

I use quite a lot of Ne but tend to use it in a very facetious sense (to entertain people or when sparring with NTPs). When it comes to serious matters my Ne looks pretty pathetic. It is, however, very useful for balancing out Ni, which is probably why I don't relate to NJ decisiveness much.

Serious Ne-use is a very active process for me - there is a small time delay between the subject arising and my switching it on.

My thoughts about a Hat
- cat
- splat (I would interpret Jennifer's splat as using the rhyme rather than bird poo)
- red and white
- bowler hat
- invisible man
- pipe
- this is not a pipe
- comics - Scott McCloud
- glasses

And another concurrent train of thought;
- dapper!
- cat pantaloons
- pajama cats

Hmm, perhaps Ne can be developed simply by reading Dr Seuss books before bed time...

Oh and concurrent -> currants! Currents, currency, current sea, if you were conned by a currant, that wouldn't be a grape thing.

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
Dude! I've been trying to get my Ne to work for years! It's tough! I'm extremely decisive to the point of being dry in conversations. Then I don't feel like talking cuz "I'm boring". My version of "riding the train" of though "for all it's worth" is Ni having Se write a essay about whatever I'm talking to the person about, examples and all. No interruptions, plz!

I really hate when I buy something and then I find out it's not perfect and I feel as though Ni failed me. "How could I have not seen it before?" Not only that but I have a low tolerance for gathering details or even perceiving the current situation. Why do that when I can think of the optimal way of doing something and try to do that and be dismayed when it fails due to real-world conditions.

Still, rant aside, I'd love to be able to just bs with the boys and not think much of it and just let my mind run wild. It doesn't help that my NP friends are very supportive of my NJness. They like the idea of having someone decisive around to keep them on track as long as I'm not too bossy! :p

The end!

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
Weird.

When I was a child I used this function constantly, up until sometime around 6th grade, when I started rapidly distilling these lists to the most likely or most useful. I still like to brainstorm, but have difficulty turning off the auto-whittling.

That said, I'm also very good at identifying workable options, then ordering them from best-case to worst-case, and methods to implement each contingency (so you know how much rework is required for each).

Back when I worked with my mentor, the INTP-INTJ working relationship worked roughly like that: He'd come up with numerous possible solutions and present all the options, including very far-fetched ones, then I'd pick the best ones, order them from most-optimal to least-optimal, reject some, and explain why. It took a while, but eventually he solidly trusted my ability to select the best options and groups of related options that were best for fallback contingency routes. I was better at seeing the eventual effects of choices, while he was better at seeing choices.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes.

And NOW imagine being Ne-primary... like your ENTP or ENFP...
...and you get an idea of why they have focus issues.
(At least Jim Carrey gets PAID for doing it.)

I empathize with them. I clean up mentally after myself all the time, but they're often just ping-ponging around.

I love ping-ponging...It's my favorite hobby! :yay:

S

Society

to the title question: is is possible to imitate Ne?

i present to you - the glass beads game.

btw, that's not as much of a "yes", but rather a "maybe, some people are working on it".

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
that's kinda weird, because it's like saying Ni is a judging function....or? maybe that's why ENFJs are annoying nitpicking people? :alttongue: joking!

The main difference between Ne and Ni is that Ne can choose which ones are promising, Ni can't. There's no choice to make because it already knows. This is likely why Ni-types find it so difficult to think like Ne.

Seriously, if you said 'hat,' I'd think 'hat.'
anyways, personal reaction to the title: "WTF!?", followed by: use whatever function(s) you're comfortable with and leave Ne to us, the professionals :alttongue:

on a more serious note....i hate reading descriptions of Ne. because.....it's not a "thought" function. it's an automatic function (at least for me). so all the descriptions end up being wrong. i mean, (my) Ne is not about thinking about all possible connections, the connections just come, automatically. actually, sometimes i wish i could turn off my mind, turn off the connections, but i can't...and sometimes, when my mind is working hard, it can be really tiring, because i automatically see connections with everything, and then no one gets my jokes/thinks i'm crazy.
which is why i was saying leave Ne to "us". i mean, if you're putting effort to it, my guess is you're already not doing it right :)

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Some way or another, the fact that the OP currently identifies as EN(T)P speaks volumes.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^Hey, but anything is possible, right?

(Or does that only work with if you started out a real xNxP.........)

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Trying to imitate Ne reminds me of Rudy trying to play Nathan on Misfits. Iow, fail.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Roughly 40% of this forum types me as ISTP, and if I am ISTP, apparently then I have imitated Ne well enough to make 50% of the forum type me as INTP.

I believe the trick to imitating Ne, whether you are or are not an Ne user, must be to design theories out of random chaos, manifesting unprecedented creative power (kind of like this sentence).

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think the easiest way would just be to try to expand whatever idea you have. If you want to Ne off of "hat", you need to branch outwards from the hat. You can branch into hat, hatmakers, history, mercury, lead, poisoning, arsenic, bottles, chemistry, bubbles, pasta, noodles, China, monsoon, umbrella, raincoat, hat, etc. Or you can branch into hat, hatband, ribbon, decorating, parties, weddings, white, sand, beach, ocean, nature, moon, stars, space, Neil Armstrong, Lance Armstrong, biking, helmet, hat, etc. The key is to keep moving, keep letting yourself jump immediately into the next idea without worrying about why or what it means or whether it's useful. What you eventually find is that you end up creating linking circles (like how I returned to hat both times), which gives you a greater concept-space around the word hat, and you can then more quickly relate hat to anything else in the world - and that begins to make it easy to see complex interrelationships that others don't necessarily track because you are so used to rapidly following strings of association and so habitually focused on reconnecting one thing to the next.

Sidenote, it's completely the opposite of Ni because the point is to do the opposite of distilling - you want to encompass as much as possible. Ni is looking inward at the hat and asking, what is the telos of this?, while Si is looking at the hat asking, what is the essence of this?, and Se is watching the hat in action and asking, what is this doing?. Ne is taking the hat, standing on it, and looking at everything in relation to the hat.